Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Help drawing nature/textures/detail?
I would like to be able to draw environments, and better textures. I have no idea where to begin or how to do that. I would like to be able to draw detailed backgrounds and environments, and essentially one day be bale to make super detailed fantasy art. I have an idea to draw a dragon walking into a cave with it being stormy and rainy outside, just a nice ambience piece I'd like to make (I love dragons, and rainy, cozy atmosphere), but I am nowhere near skilled enough to draw it. I'd have no idea how to make the lighting. or how to make the cave texture, or the rain. My perspective is pretty average. Where should I even begin on being able to draw complicated textures, and lighting? How should I view reference matierial in order to study that? I know it's a vague question, but I guess I basically want to know how I can get my art form being this detailed: [img]https://imgur.com/Ud05R6F.png[/img] To this detailed: [img]https://w0.peakpx.com/wallpaper/681/248/HD-wallpaper-the-blue-dragon-art-fantasy-wings-dragon-cave-blue.jpg[/img] ...and I have no idea how to do that.
I would like to be able to draw environments, and better textures.
I have no idea where to begin or how to do that. I would like to be able to draw detailed backgrounds and environments, and essentially one day be bale to make super detailed fantasy art.
I have an idea to draw a dragon walking into a cave with it being stormy and rainy outside, just a nice ambience piece I'd like to make (I love dragons, and rainy, cozy atmosphere), but I am nowhere near skilled enough to draw it. I'd have no idea how to make the lighting. or how to make the cave texture, or the rain. My perspective is pretty average.
Where should I even begin on being able to draw complicated textures, and lighting? How should I view reference matierial in order to study that?
I know it's a vague question, but I guess I basically want to know how I can get my art form being this detailed:
Ud05R6F.png
To this detailed:
HD-wallpaper-the-blue-dragon-art-fantasy-wings-dragon-cave-blue.jpg
...and I have no idea how to do that.
nudX0O8.png
^
^
nudX0O8.png
Hi! I always enjoy looking at detailed backgrounds on arts and I respect the environment artists, so I couldn't pass it by your question. Like you said, you should start by searching for references on the subject. For example, here's what I found by searching "crystal cave", "crystals" and "cave". [img]https://i.imgur.com/ahWobkt.png[/img] With these materials I sketched the idea of a dragon looking for the exit of the cave. The idea is a little different than yours, just as an example. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Np8MoaY.png[/img] There are many things that will help a detailed background "work well", if you know what I mean. For example, light and shadow can help highlight the right elements (in my sketch it is main character). The road the dragon walks on creates a "line" for the viewer's eye to follow right to the dragon and it also works for the story - the dragon walks on that road. I can't tell you exactly what's needed in your work because I don't see an idea sketch, but you can always come to me with WIP work if you want. I'd be happy to help :)
Hi!
I always enjoy looking at detailed backgrounds on arts and I respect the environment artists, so I couldn't pass it by your question.
Like you said, you should start by searching for references on the subject. For example, here's what I found by searching "crystal cave", "crystals" and "cave".
ahWobkt.png With these materials I sketched the idea of a dragon looking for the exit of the cave. The idea is a little different than yours, just as an example.
Np8MoaY.png
There are many things that will help a detailed background "work well", if you know what I mean. For example, light and shadow can help highlight the right elements (in my sketch it is main character). The road the dragon walks on creates a "line" for the viewer's eye to follow right to the dragon and it also works for the story - the dragon walks on that road.
I can't tell you exactly what's needed in your work because I don't see an idea sketch, but you can always come to me with WIP work if you want. I'd be happy to help :)
@Fernir1 I'm pretty iffy on perspectives, but what i'm going for is something between these two. I have no idea where or how to detail the worn walls of the cave. The floor smooth but not polished. How to make the dragon look wet from rain. Or how to make the cave look humid. The whole general ambience, I just don't know how to make. But I'll just settle with figuring out cave walls. It's a lot of stuff that basically just tells me what I don't know how to draw, so the essential answer is to keep practicing fundamentals. But I want to attune my studies to improve faster. I don't know how to even sketch worn cave walls, but I know that just leaving them blank is wrong. [img]https://imgur.com/0PTSXSf.png[/img] [img]https://imgur.com/aszv20u.png[/img]
@Fernir1
I'm pretty iffy on perspectives, but what i'm going for is something between these two. I have no idea where or how to detail the worn walls of the cave. The floor smooth but not polished. How to make the dragon look wet from rain. Or how to make the cave look humid. The whole general ambience, I just don't know how to make. But I'll just settle with figuring out cave walls.
It's a lot of stuff that basically just tells me what I don't know how to draw, so the essential answer is to keep practicing fundamentals. But I want to attune my studies to improve faster.
I don't know how to even sketch worn cave walls, but I know that just leaving them blank is wrong.
0PTSXSf.png
aszv20u.png
nudX0O8.png
@Ozeatetsor Like you said, practicing the basics is an important part of improving your level of drawing. References will help you to understand HOW things actually works. Also, the first pose look nice and dynamic. To get started, I'll help you find references once again. I broke your request into several parts - 1)cave walls, 2)worn walls (I think it means cracked or something like that), 3)rain ouside the cave and wet atmosphere. The references are grouped into the three parts I named earlier. For the "dragon after rain" effect you can look for wet furs or scales, but honestly usually it's big contrast and reflections on the body. [img]https://i.imgur.com/QLJh72X.jpg[/img]
@Ozeatetsor
Like you said, practicing the basics is an important part of improving your level of drawing. References will help you to understand HOW things actually works.
Also, the first pose look nice and dynamic.
To get started, I'll help you find references once again. I broke your request into several parts - 1)cave walls, 2)worn walls (I think it means cracked or something like that), 3)rain ouside the cave and wet atmosphere. The references are grouped into the three parts I named earlier.
For the "dragon after rain" effect you can look for wet furs or scales, but honestly usually it's big contrast and reflections on the body.
QLJh72X.jpg
@Fernir1
Ah, I think I'm starting to understand the specific direction I should go.
Thank you for the help!
@Fernir1
Ah, I think I'm starting to understand the specific direction I should go.
Thank you for the help!
nudX0O8.png
@Ozeatetsor
You're always welcome. If my replies been helpful for you, and if you have any more questions, feel free to dm :)
@Ozeatetsor
You're always welcome. If my replies been helpful for you, and if you have any more questions, feel free to dm :)