Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | any movie recommendations?
1 2 3
for the last several years i found it hard to watch anything new and i've missed out on many many movies. i want to get into the hobby again. i love anything distopia, thriller, arthouse, or simple drama, but basically i'll watch any movie if it's good haha. i'd love to read some recommendations or your favourite movies in general

for the last several years i found it hard to watch anything new and i've missed out on many many movies. i want to get into the hobby again. i love anything distopia, thriller, arthouse, or simple drama, but basically i'll watch any movie if it's good haha. i'd love to read some recommendations or your favourite movies in general

markicha | she/her | +11 fr time
english is not my first language!

wishlist | adoptables | avatar
shwx1Vv.gifi'll keep wishing for a world where you can be happy shwx1Vv.gif
Minuscule: Valley of the Lost Ants
Minuscule: Valley of the Lost Ants
a cartoonized velvet worm that is a dark blue with white specks all over. the art's signature is 476242
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery was fun! I liked it a lot, and you don't need to watch Knives Out to understand what's going on. :)
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery was fun! I liked it a lot, and you don't need to watch Knives Out to understand what's going on. :)
the house on netflix, really interesting stop-motion horror, couple disturbing visuals but they're not realistic. wouldn't call it arthouse but it's got a surrealist atmosphere to it

raw and titane are really good surreal horror-ish movies. annihilation is a suggestion i give to everyone, but it has a fair bit of gore in it if you're not into that. speak no evil is also good but its more on the traditional horror side and kinda slow
the house on netflix, really interesting stop-motion horror, couple disturbing visuals but they're not realistic. wouldn't call it arthouse but it's got a surrealist atmosphere to it

raw and titane are really good surreal horror-ish movies. annihilation is a suggestion i give to everyone, but it has a fair bit of gore in it if you're not into that. speak no evil is also good but its more on the traditional horror side and kinda slow
29vcwrR.gif

7XiycbK.gif
Se6OEzL.gif
efbd526ffdc363c82cdf72ac37ebe9caf36c32d0.gif
I would suggest Taika Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople! He has a lot of great movies but I think that one is genuinely his best, I watched it knowing very little about the plot and I think that made the experience better. Swiss Army Man is another amazing film, it's from the same directors as Everything Everywhere All At Once (also amazing!) and stars Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe who are incredible in it. Beautifully hysterical movie that got me through the first lockdown in 2020, it's wonderfully bizarre and sincere.

Would also agree with Annihilation! It's a visually gorgeous movie with a stellar cast, great if you enjoy a thriller.

Also not sure if you missed the Parasite hype in 2019/2020 but if you did, that should be on the top of your to watch list! Absolutely deserved all of the praise it got and another movie to watch with as little context as possible.
I would suggest Taika Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople! He has a lot of great movies but I think that one is genuinely his best, I watched it knowing very little about the plot and I think that made the experience better. Swiss Army Man is another amazing film, it's from the same directors as Everything Everywhere All At Once (also amazing!) and stars Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe who are incredible in it. Beautifully hysterical movie that got me through the first lockdown in 2020, it's wonderfully bizarre and sincere.

Would also agree with Annihilation! It's a visually gorgeous movie with a stellar cast, great if you enjoy a thriller.

Also not sure if you missed the Parasite hype in 2019/2020 but if you did, that should be on the top of your to watch list! Absolutely deserved all of the praise it got and another movie to watch with as little context as possible.
everything everywhere all at once was my favorite film from the last year! meaning to rewatch it, but it was beautiful and fun.
everything everywhere all at once was my favorite film from the last year! meaning to rewatch it, but it was beautiful and fun.
ca4nyRv.pngsh5xjiu.png1vAtYxM.pngtqGkHih.png
o6n8ZXM.pngR1dejfm.pngmk2bmrp.png
i'm your only friend i'm not your only friend but i'm a little glowing friend
but really i'm not actually your friend but i am
gonna echo everything, everywhere, all at once!
i think this movie changed my life.
nope (2022) was also a super fun watch to me, and really worth it.
Tarnished Cerdae Necklace she/they
fr+1
Some of my favorite movies from the last few years:
(I'm not sure if you're okay with R-rated movies, some of these are so I apologize if that's not something you're into)
Dune - I really liked this movie. I've never read the books and honestly only watched it because my mom wanted to see how different it was from the old one; it's really really good!
Bones and All - I watched this one mostly because it has Timothée Chalamet in it, and also because it was directed by Luca Guadagnino. It's super good, easily one of my favorite movies from last year :)
The Harder They Fall - Not usually a huge fan of western-type movies but it's super good.
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - It's an extremely underrated Marvel movie with a very interesting and unique plot that's a lot different from other Marvel movies. Really bummed that I missed out on seeing this one in theaters
Spider-Man: No Way Home - Honestly my favorite Marvel movie of all time. I don't care if this makes me basic, but this is genuinely one of my most favorite movies ever
Some of my favorite movies from the last few years:
(I'm not sure if you're okay with R-rated movies, some of these are so I apologize if that's not something you're into)
Dune - I really liked this movie. I've never read the books and honestly only watched it because my mom wanted to see how different it was from the old one; it's really really good!
Bones and All - I watched this one mostly because it has Timothée Chalamet in it, and also because it was directed by Luca Guadagnino. It's super good, easily one of my favorite movies from last year :)
The Harder They Fall - Not usually a huge fan of western-type movies but it's super good.
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - It's an extremely underrated Marvel movie with a very interesting and unique plot that's a lot different from other Marvel movies. Really bummed that I missed out on seeing this one in theaters
Spider-Man: No Way Home - Honestly my favorite Marvel movie of all time. I don't care if this makes me basic, but this is genuinely one of my most favorite movies ever
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 0Eukkgx.png indy | she/her | fr+1 :)
wishlist / pinkerlocke / challenges
[quote name="hccupit" date="2023-01-15 09:31:29" ] everything everywhere all at once was my favorite film from the last year! meaning to rewatch it, but it was beautiful and fun. [/quote] [quote name="sneer" date="2023-01-15 18:50:20" ] gonna echo everything, everywhere, all at once! i think this movie changed my life. nope (2022) was also a super fun watch to me, and really worth it. [/quote] ohh i actually watched this one (one of the few i watched last year :D), it was soo good, i bawled my eyes out. it hit too close to home in a good way thanks everyone for the suggestions, i made a list and i'll be checking evething out!
hccupit wrote on 2023-01-15 09:31:29:
sneer wrote on 2023-01-15 18:50:20:

ohh i actually watched this one (one of the few i watched last year :D), it was soo good, i bawled my eyes out. it hit too close to home in a good way

thanks everyone for the suggestions, i made a list and i'll be checking evething out!
markicha | she/her | +11 fr time
english is not my first language!

wishlist | adoptables | avatar
shwx1Vv.gifi'll keep wishing for a world where you can be happy shwx1Vv.gif
seconding everything everywhere and glass onion. also recomment green knight if you're into weird Arthurian fantasy and dev patel being a bi knight
seconding everything everywhere and glass onion. also recomment green knight if you're into weird Arthurian fantasy and dev patel being a bi knight
1vAtYxM.png g4XyQaa.png 0eGuNQX.png 7ntZZGM.png
1 2 3