Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | anyone got indie horror game recs?
1 2 3
ive played faith: the unholy trinity recently and LOVED it (and if you dont know that game i highly suggest checking it out!!) and ever since ive just been aching to find another horror game thatll be just as an amazing experience, so i want some recs!! the meatier the better!!
ive played faith: the unholy trinity recently and LOVED it (and if you dont know that game i highly suggest checking it out!!) and ever since ive just been aching to find another horror game thatll be just as an amazing experience, so i want some recs!! the meatier the better!!
For something short and sweet I would highly recommend Iron Lung. Basically you are in a rusty barely functioning submarine exploring an ocean of blood as nearly all life in the known universe has suddenly vanished.

For something longer if you are a fan of the old Resident Evil games, Signalis is an amazing game. It came out a few months ago and is probably one of the best indie horror games to have come out this year.

Another game by New Blood who also published Faith is Gloomwood. It's currently in early access but there is a decent amount of content in it already and if you like stealth games like Thief then that is a good pick.
For something short and sweet I would highly recommend Iron Lung. Basically you are in a rusty barely functioning submarine exploring an ocean of blood as nearly all life in the known universe has suddenly vanished.

For something longer if you are a fan of the old Resident Evil games, Signalis is an amazing game. It came out a few months ago and is probably one of the best indie horror games to have come out this year.

Another game by New Blood who also published Faith is Gloomwood. It's currently in early access but there is a decent amount of content in it already and if you like stealth games like Thief then that is a good pick.
Yes, my lair is a thematic mess but I like all of the flights. And yes, I will name those dragons at some point

3B15OeM.png
HouhGS9.png4SzSxLW.pngMUYNhfy.png
YMPbu9R.png
Darkness Under My Bed is an indie horror that I love. The design, concept, and execution are all fantastic. (It has dolls and that type of stuff, though. Some people aren't a huge fan of those.)

I'm a huge fan of RPGmaker games if you're interested in a longer experience, as well. Witch's Heart is a game (not quite horror, more action with horror elements) that I hold very close to my heart, although it's not fully complete. Naturally, I'd also recommend the classics, though~ Ib was recently remade!

Belong Nowhere is a body horror game with similar vibes to Salad Fingers, if you're into that stuff.

Death Palette or Matsuro is another big recommendation. There are also dozens of endings (as in, the types where you die a LOT) so it can be relatively time-consuming.

I absolutely love horror stuff. I have recommendations for days, whether they be indie or otherwise.

EDIT oh my heck.. I forgot one of my favorites. Mothered. It's so good.
Darkness Under My Bed is an indie horror that I love. The design, concept, and execution are all fantastic. (It has dolls and that type of stuff, though. Some people aren't a huge fan of those.)

I'm a huge fan of RPGmaker games if you're interested in a longer experience, as well. Witch's Heart is a game (not quite horror, more action with horror elements) that I hold very close to my heart, although it's not fully complete. Naturally, I'd also recommend the classics, though~ Ib was recently remade!

Belong Nowhere is a body horror game with similar vibes to Salad Fingers, if you're into that stuff.

Death Palette or Matsuro is another big recommendation. There are also dozens of endings (as in, the types where you die a LOT) so it can be relatively time-consuming.

I absolutely love horror stuff. I have recommendations for days, whether they be indie or otherwise.

EDIT oh my heck.. I forgot one of my favorites. Mothered. It's so good.
Iron Lung has already been mentioned, soooo...

I'm a big fan of Zed_Technician games, my favorite so far is Beware the Shadowcatcher but I would recommend all of them.

Another game, that is more popular but still indie, is Inscryption. Love that game, it's on Nintendo Switch now too. Pony Island, by the same creator, is very nice too.

Choo Choo Charles is a game I'd recommend to everybody.

A really retro styled game I liked is The Happyhills Homicide, it's pretty gruesome even if it's pixel art though.

And lastly, my favorite RPG Maker horror game is Wadanohara and The Great Blue Sea, though content warning for that one. It deals with some pretty horrific topics.
Iron Lung has already been mentioned, soooo...

I'm a big fan of Zed_Technician games, my favorite so far is Beware the Shadowcatcher but I would recommend all of them.

Another game, that is more popular but still indie, is Inscryption. Love that game, it's on Nintendo Switch now too. Pony Island, by the same creator, is very nice too.

Choo Choo Charles is a game I'd recommend to everybody.

A really retro styled game I liked is The Happyhills Homicide, it's pretty gruesome even if it's pixel art though.

And lastly, my favorite RPG Maker horror game is Wadanohara and The Great Blue Sea, though content warning for that one. It deals with some pretty horrific topics.
redoing this soon
Oh jeez

Omori, What Remains of Edith Finch, The Binding of Isaac, Lethal Omen, Cooking Companions...

Okay you probably know what Omori is, but you've never heard of the other ones I bet so here it is

What Remains of Edith Finch: Stories. Also, dead kids. A family curse, maybe? Structurally unsound house.

The Binding of Isaac: Religious extremism. Child abuse. Depression.

Lethal Omen: Basically, aliens. Plant aliens. Part of an ARG technically. (Look, if a spooky webseries on YouTube gets it's own video game, it is now officially an ARG.)

Cooking Companions: Cute food with a personality! Also cannibalism.
Oh jeez

Omori, What Remains of Edith Finch, The Binding of Isaac, Lethal Omen, Cooking Companions...

Okay you probably know what Omori is, but you've never heard of the other ones I bet so here it is

What Remains of Edith Finch: Stories. Also, dead kids. A family curse, maybe? Structurally unsound house.

The Binding of Isaac: Religious extremism. Child abuse. Depression.

Lethal Omen: Basically, aliens. Plant aliens. Part of an ARG technically. (Look, if a spooky webseries on YouTube gets it's own video game, it is now officially an ARG.)

Cooking Companions: Cute food with a personality! Also cannibalism.
lf9X4H2.png
I have a soft spot for indie horror, so I have lot of recommendations! Most of them will probably be RPGMaker games though since that's what I play the most of
  • Hello Charlotte - It's an episodic psychological horror/thriller about Charlotte Wiltshire and her life in The House, with her friends, and at school. Each episode has a different story and it's really good!
  • Fear and Hunger - It's a survival horror dungeon crawler where you play as one of four adventurers who are going after a man that has been imprisoned in the dungeons featured in the game. It's heavy but it's also very good if you enjoy dungeon crawlers
  • Re:Kinder - It's a horror game about a third grader returning to his hometown and discovering that it's now completely barren besides some of his friends hiding in their secret base. They meet a second grader who tells them that he caused the town's change and invites them to play a game. It's a bit dark from what I can remember but I remember liking it!
  • Mad Father - It's a puzzle oriented horror game about a young girl waking up to find her home riddled with corpses and supernatural entities and trying to rescue her father from her supposedly deceased mother. It's a classic RPGMaker game and I do think it's a must play for those who enjoy horror games!
  • Yume Nikki - It's a surreal horror game about a girl exploring her dreams, with the main goal being to collect 24 effects. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you're into surrealism or theory crafting (due to how vague the protagonist's past is and the potential symbolism of her dreams) I would 100% recommend it!
  • The Witch's House - It's a puzzle oriented horror about a young girl waking up and discovering that she's trapped in the middle of the woods. With no other way out, she ends up exploring a mysterious house nearby. It's most well known for it's cruel twist ending, but the game outside of the ending is pretty solid as well!
  • Pathologic - It's a survival horror game where you play as one of three healers and try to uncover the source of a lethal disease called the sand plague alongside accomplishing the healer's individual goal. It's admittedly pretty frustrating to play, but if you're willing to power through it (or just watch a playthrough on Youtube), you're in for a WILD ride

I would like to recommend the Lisa trilogy as well since, while they aren't technically horror games, they have themes commonly found in them (heavy themes, creepy monster designs, etc).
  • Lisa: The First is a Yume Nikki clone where you play as a girl named Lisa and explore the landscape, uncovering hints of her past. You don't need to play this one, but it does provide a bit more insight into who Lisa is and her past
  • Lisa: The Painful is a story from the perspective of Brad, Lisa's brother, and is more in line with you're typical RPGMaker game (you explore the world and fight things) but has it's own unique mechanics such as the battle system. The main plot is Brad trying to find his adoptive daughter Buddy, who was kidnapped.
  • Lisa: The Joyful is a direct sequel to Lisa: The Painful and is told from the perspective of Buddy and it centers around her eliminating all the warlords ruling Olathe (the city she and Brad live in). All are very good and deal with difficult subjects such as child abuse, trauma, substance use, etc. in a mature way.

I'm also going to second Omori, Wadanohara and the Deep Blue Sea, Witch's Heart, Ib, and Iron Lung! Those are all good games as well (also I'm so sorry for how long this ended up being omg)
I have a soft spot for indie horror, so I have lot of recommendations! Most of them will probably be RPGMaker games though since that's what I play the most of
  • Hello Charlotte - It's an episodic psychological horror/thriller about Charlotte Wiltshire and her life in The House, with her friends, and at school. Each episode has a different story and it's really good!
  • Fear and Hunger - It's a survival horror dungeon crawler where you play as one of four adventurers who are going after a man that has been imprisoned in the dungeons featured in the game. It's heavy but it's also very good if you enjoy dungeon crawlers
  • Re:Kinder - It's a horror game about a third grader returning to his hometown and discovering that it's now completely barren besides some of his friends hiding in their secret base. They meet a second grader who tells them that he caused the town's change and invites them to play a game. It's a bit dark from what I can remember but I remember liking it!
  • Mad Father - It's a puzzle oriented horror game about a young girl waking up to find her home riddled with corpses and supernatural entities and trying to rescue her father from her supposedly deceased mother. It's a classic RPGMaker game and I do think it's a must play for those who enjoy horror games!
  • Yume Nikki - It's a surreal horror game about a girl exploring her dreams, with the main goal being to collect 24 effects. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you're into surrealism or theory crafting (due to how vague the protagonist's past is and the potential symbolism of her dreams) I would 100% recommend it!
  • The Witch's House - It's a puzzle oriented horror about a young girl waking up and discovering that she's trapped in the middle of the woods. With no other way out, she ends up exploring a mysterious house nearby. It's most well known for it's cruel twist ending, but the game outside of the ending is pretty solid as well!
  • Pathologic - It's a survival horror game where you play as one of three healers and try to uncover the source of a lethal disease called the sand plague alongside accomplishing the healer's individual goal. It's admittedly pretty frustrating to play, but if you're willing to power through it (or just watch a playthrough on Youtube), you're in for a WILD ride

I would like to recommend the Lisa trilogy as well since, while they aren't technically horror games, they have themes commonly found in them (heavy themes, creepy monster designs, etc).
  • Lisa: The First is a Yume Nikki clone where you play as a girl named Lisa and explore the landscape, uncovering hints of her past. You don't need to play this one, but it does provide a bit more insight into who Lisa is and her past
  • Lisa: The Painful is a story from the perspective of Brad, Lisa's brother, and is more in line with you're typical RPGMaker game (you explore the world and fight things) but has it's own unique mechanics such as the battle system. The main plot is Brad trying to find his adoptive daughter Buddy, who was kidnapped.
  • Lisa: The Joyful is a direct sequel to Lisa: The Painful and is told from the perspective of Buddy and it centers around her eliminating all the warlords ruling Olathe (the city she and Brad live in). All are very good and deal with difficult subjects such as child abuse, trauma, substance use, etc. in a mature way.

I'm also going to second Omori, Wadanohara and the Deep Blue Sea, Witch's Heart, Ib, and Iron Lung! Those are all good games as well (also I'm so sorry for how long this ended up being omg)
wddh9vD.png
uuuuuuuuuuuu
tinkaton
he | gay ace | adult
brother, son, bird hater

uuuuuuuuuuuu
Idk if it's still on sale but recently on psn you could buy Sagebrush for a mere 60 cents (typically $6). I tried it on a friend's recommendation cuz what do you have to lose for that price and I def enjoyed it. Basically you're a person who goes to where a suicide cult used to live and you explore the area and uncover the whole story of what happened. It's partially a puzzler the way that point and click games are puzzlers since you often have to find keys and other items to unlock more doors and stuff.
Idk if it's still on sale but recently on psn you could buy Sagebrush for a mere 60 cents (typically $6). I tried it on a friend's recommendation cuz what do you have to lose for that price and I def enjoyed it. Basically you're a person who goes to where a suicide cult used to live and you explore the area and uncover the whole story of what happened. It's partially a puzzler the way that point and click games are puzzlers since you often have to find keys and other items to unlock more doors and stuff.
ytkEBod.pngll0CfnD.png510b8a63d40dc52d20b17daf90107ad8a80d4b80.png
*cracks knuckles* here we go!
  • WORLD OF HORROR is based on Junji Ito and classic japanese horror - you play as a high school student in a small seaside Japanese town trying to stop the summoning of an eldritch being that will destroy the world via investigating and solving horror mysteries. If you're not familiar with Junji's works, be warned of body horror and unreality.
  • Kitty Horrorshow makes great ps1 style horror games - you've probably heard of Anatomy, but I personally like Hornets. Warning for mentions of parasites since that's a major theme in their writing, you can find their games on itch.io
  • Speaking of, Puppet Combo makes great games as well! They frame their games as VHS tapes and has the classic "1970s slasher movie" feel to their games, and I really like it. You can also find them on itch.io alongside their games.
  • Cold Call is a short game where you play as a police officer being called over for a house checkup. The main warning I can think of is jumpscares.
  • Mike Klubnika is another developer whose more well-known games are The Other Side and Control Room Alpha which are all about humans waking something they really shouldn't...monsters I think would be the main content warning here.

ohh geez i went on a rant lmao
*cracks knuckles* here we go!
  • WORLD OF HORROR is based on Junji Ito and classic japanese horror - you play as a high school student in a small seaside Japanese town trying to stop the summoning of an eldritch being that will destroy the world via investigating and solving horror mysteries. If you're not familiar with Junji's works, be warned of body horror and unreality.
  • Kitty Horrorshow makes great ps1 style horror games - you've probably heard of Anatomy, but I personally like Hornets. Warning for mentions of parasites since that's a major theme in their writing, you can find their games on itch.io
  • Speaking of, Puppet Combo makes great games as well! They frame their games as VHS tapes and has the classic "1970s slasher movie" feel to their games, and I really like it. You can also find them on itch.io alongside their games.
  • Cold Call is a short game where you play as a police officer being called over for a house checkup. The main warning I can think of is jumpscares.
  • Mike Klubnika is another developer whose more well-known games are The Other Side and Control Room Alpha which are all about humans waking something they really shouldn't...monsters I think would be the main content warning here.

ohh geez i went on a rant lmao
Yumi Nikki, Fran Bow’s Demo, and the original version of Doki Doki Literature Club are all free on Steam. I believe they are all indie as well but I could be wrong.
Yumi Nikki, Fran Bow’s Demo, and the original version of Doki Doki Literature Club are all free on Steam. I believe they are all indie as well but I could be wrong.
29d7eqr.png[img]http://http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/YWtheLucida/Mini_zpsgcyumcge.png[/img]
Aarrgh faith was such a good game honestly im still not recovered;; But I DO recommend the path by tales of tales! I think I watched a video essay on the game and it honestly seemed really cool. But it's more of a psychological horror than super gore-y. The graphics are also really interesting!

Now on to looking through the answers to find my next game haha
Aarrgh faith was such a good game honestly im still not recovered;; But I DO recommend the path by tales of tales! I think I watched a video essay on the game and it honestly seemed really cool. But it's more of a psychological horror than super gore-y. The graphics are also really interesting!

Now on to looking through the answers to find my next game haha
tumblr_3101128eca80765c70cd203d3e243a5b_6521130c_100.png ama, she/her
FR+8
Calliope writes a poem for someone who needs it
1 2 3