Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | rugged work vs precise work (math)

have you ever wondered, while working at arlo, whether your time is better spent on using rugged works or precise work? I'm going to uncover this and reveal which one has a higher net value (in deepsea dive) (as of december 2022).

prices are averaged from lah prices for all items in the category
there are 19 plots:
10 familiars - 25 squares each - goes for around 4g each
4 apparel - 40 squares each - goes for around 4g each
3 genes - 50 squares each - goes for around 108g each
1 scene - 25 squares each - goes for around 30g each
1 vista - 25 squares each - goes for around 1g each

that means that 1 square uncovered on each plot is worth the following, with a conversion of 1g=1000t

familiars - 4000*(1/25)= 160 treasure per square
apparel - 4000*(1/40)= 100 treasure per square
genes - 108000*(1/50)= 2160 treasure per square
scene - 30000*(1/25)= 1200 treasure per square
vista - 1000*(1/25)= 40 treasure per square

when using rugged work, which tile is selected is not based on the selection of each tile on the board, but by randomly selecting a plot (regardless of how many tiles are uncovered) and randomly selecting a tile in the plot from there. this means the likelihood of a rugged work landing on a particular plot is however many of that plot there is on the board, divided by 19 (the total number of plots).

therefore, we can take the average value of any random tile being uncovered by multiplying the average value of a tile within the plot being uncovered by the probability that the plot will be selected, and add all those together to get the overall average value of a random tile on the board being uncovered.

(10/19)160+(4/19)100+(3/19)2160+(1/19)1200+(1/19)40= ~512 treasure on average that a random tile being uncovered will give you.

however, rugged work uncovers not 1, but 5 random tiles, so the average value per each rugged work is as follows:

5*512= 2558 treasure for each rugged work
(this was based of the unrounded value from earlier which is why its not exactly 5*512, but is it more accurate)

now, the precise works are a lot easier to calculate. if we used them on only the most valuable plot (secondary gene: foam) then each one is worth:

140000*(1/40)= 3500 treasure each for each precise work

so, precise works are overall more valuable.

however, let's do one more thing. rugged works also take longer to complete, meaning you can use more precise works in a day (if you have the resources and patience for it). so how much can you theoretically make in a day if you used each one back to back?

there are 1440 minutes in a day, and 30 of them flight rising is offline, so 1410 minutes to work with.
for each one, subtract the amount of 1 work because it it physically impossible to not take an amount of time to click the work buttons, and the numbers divide cleanly such that if the work began the second flight rising went online it would complete the last one cleanly the second it went offline with no time to spare. we are human and need time to click buttons, so we need to subtract 1 work from each set.

rugged works:
1410/15-1= 93 rugged works in a day
93*2558=237,884 treasure a day

precise works
1410/10-1= 140 precise works in a day
140*3500= 490,000 treasure in a day

this is considering you took no breaks to sleep and were absolutely diligent about your timers and speedy in redoing the work, and also considering you have the materials necessary, and also considering you fetch a decent price on the ah for each of the things you uncover.

hope you enjoyed reading :) go forth with more knowledge about arlo!

for fun, using the numbers i got, tell me how much in untapped worth you have from your current number of precise and rugged works!

(# of rugged works)*2558 + (# of precise works)*3500

I have 1,491,000 treasure in precise works :p it's hard to use them all up

have you ever wondered, while working at arlo, whether your time is better spent on using rugged works or precise work? I'm going to uncover this and reveal which one has a higher net value (in deepsea dive) (as of december 2022).

prices are averaged from lah prices for all items in the category
there are 19 plots:
10 familiars - 25 squares each - goes for around 4g each
4 apparel - 40 squares each - goes for around 4g each
3 genes - 50 squares each - goes for around 108g each
1 scene - 25 squares each - goes for around 30g each
1 vista - 25 squares each - goes for around 1g each

that means that 1 square uncovered on each plot is worth the following, with a conversion of 1g=1000t

familiars - 4000*(1/25)= 160 treasure per square
apparel - 4000*(1/40)= 100 treasure per square
genes - 108000*(1/50)= 2160 treasure per square
scene - 30000*(1/25)= 1200 treasure per square
vista - 1000*(1/25)= 40 treasure per square

when using rugged work, which tile is selected is not based on the selection of each tile on the board, but by randomly selecting a plot (regardless of how many tiles are uncovered) and randomly selecting a tile in the plot from there. this means the likelihood of a rugged work landing on a particular plot is however many of that plot there is on the board, divided by 19 (the total number of plots).

therefore, we can take the average value of any random tile being uncovered by multiplying the average value of a tile within the plot being uncovered by the probability that the plot will be selected, and add all those together to get the overall average value of a random tile on the board being uncovered.

(10/19)160+(4/19)100+(3/19)2160+(1/19)1200+(1/19)40= ~512 treasure on average that a random tile being uncovered will give you.

however, rugged work uncovers not 1, but 5 random tiles, so the average value per each rugged work is as follows:

5*512= 2558 treasure for each rugged work
(this was based of the unrounded value from earlier which is why its not exactly 5*512, but is it more accurate)

now, the precise works are a lot easier to calculate. if we used them on only the most valuable plot (secondary gene: foam) then each one is worth:

140000*(1/40)= 3500 treasure each for each precise work

so, precise works are overall more valuable.

however, let's do one more thing. rugged works also take longer to complete, meaning you can use more precise works in a day (if you have the resources and patience for it). so how much can you theoretically make in a day if you used each one back to back?

there are 1440 minutes in a day, and 30 of them flight rising is offline, so 1410 minutes to work with.
for each one, subtract the amount of 1 work because it it physically impossible to not take an amount of time to click the work buttons, and the numbers divide cleanly such that if the work began the second flight rising went online it would complete the last one cleanly the second it went offline with no time to spare. we are human and need time to click buttons, so we need to subtract 1 work from each set.

rugged works:
1410/15-1= 93 rugged works in a day
93*2558=237,884 treasure a day

precise works
1410/10-1= 140 precise works in a day
140*3500= 490,000 treasure in a day

this is considering you took no breaks to sleep and were absolutely diligent about your timers and speedy in redoing the work, and also considering you have the materials necessary, and also considering you fetch a decent price on the ah for each of the things you uncover.

hope you enjoyed reading :) go forth with more knowledge about arlo!

for fun, using the numbers i got, tell me how much in untapped worth you have from your current number of precise and rugged works!

(# of rugged works)*2558 + (# of precise works)*3500

I have 1,491,000 treasure in precise works :p it's hard to use them all up
sh5xjiu.pngdIMtL1H.pngvMooiXU.pngnfy0IrS.png5iXiC8z.pngoqjWYKt.pngHpBYoOt.pngca4nyRv.pngNlmYDAS.pngqhK4FYS.pnga69iToJ.pngYMPbu9R.png
epic math poggers
epic math poggers
this is so interesting!! thank you HAHAHA do you recommend either one when starting? (i'm assuming precise work but maybe rugged work is better if you're not able to perfectly time everything)
this is so interesting!! thank you HAHAHA do you recommend either one when starting? (i'm assuming precise work but maybe rugged work is better if you're not able to perfectly time everything)
Neat ! I'll keep using Rugged Work because I don't really need to sell anything from Arlo's - I like having a steady flux of familiars and apparel to dump in Baldwin's cauldron. And free genes ! They're super handy for breeding, and they're all pretty nice on their own too, so having them for free is fun. The only thing I wish I could avoid are Vistas, since they're virtually useless, but eh. It's still funnier than Precise Work.
Neat ! I'll keep using Rugged Work because I don't really need to sell anything from Arlo's - I like having a steady flux of familiars and apparel to dump in Baldwin's cauldron. And free genes ! They're super handy for breeding, and they're all pretty nice on their own too, so having them for free is fun. The only thing I wish I could avoid are Vistas, since they're virtually useless, but eh. It's still funnier than Precise Work.
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
I have a potential 1,772,980 treasure from my materials hehe. I'm definitely not diligent enough to work Arlo perfectly, so I'm content with my rugged work for now
I have a potential 1,772,980 treasure from my materials hehe. I'm definitely not diligent enough to work Arlo perfectly, so I'm content with my rugged work for now
Sturm
with a
"U"
Gay man (MlM) flag in the style of a faux FlightRising item He/It
FR Time +0
G1 Hoarder
Current Avatar
DO1.png H1sgaHX.png
I love the math!! I’m interested though - what’s the evidence that rugged work chooses five plots randomly (allowing each to be chosen more than once) and then one tile in each chosen plot, rather than just a simple random selection from all the empty spots (without allowing tiles to be chosen twice)?
I love the math!! I’m interested though - what’s the evidence that rugged work chooses five plots randomly (allowing each to be chosen more than once) and then one tile in each chosen plot, rather than just a simple random selection from all the empty spots (without allowing tiles to be chosen twice)?
@MangoGarnet just from my observations of using arlo a whole bunch. there are times ive observed 2 rugged work pickaxes working on 2 spots in the same plot when that plot only had 2 or 3 left on it, which would be very unlikely if it was choosing from hundreds of tiles each time instead of 16-19 plots which is a lot more likely. the amount that i've observed this type of thing happen suggests strongly to me that its choosing by plot first and then a random tile within that. Good question to ask though!
@MangoGarnet just from my observations of using arlo a whole bunch. there are times ive observed 2 rugged work pickaxes working on 2 spots in the same plot when that plot only had 2 or 3 left on it, which would be very unlikely if it was choosing from hundreds of tiles each time instead of 16-19 plots which is a lot more likely. the amount that i've observed this type of thing happen suggests strongly to me that its choosing by plot first and then a random tile within that. Good question to ask though!
sh5xjiu.pngdIMtL1H.pngvMooiXU.pngnfy0IrS.png5iXiC8z.pngoqjWYKt.pngHpBYoOt.pngca4nyRv.pngNlmYDAS.pngqhK4FYS.pnga69iToJ.pngYMPbu9R.png
Thankyou math side of FR!

It is intetesting, but overall i definitely dont have the patience nor attention span for precise work. So it's better for me to do rugged because even if i forget atleast its 5 tiles done instead of one
Thankyou math side of FR!

It is intetesting, but overall i definitely dont have the patience nor attention span for precise work. So it's better for me to do rugged because even if i forget atleast its 5 tiles done instead of one
..……………………...……..….YSCAP90.png
Suffer more :) Tn4TEAZ.png