Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | Apparel help wanted
1 2
So I made this outfit for one of my dragons, and I haven't made a lot of outfits and would like some feedback!
Not Found

Arlund is supposed to be a very artsy prince, He rotates his hobbies frequently. But he also thinks very deeply about things, and I wanted to have a sort of greek theme for him, because I think it fits. I was wanting to know if this seems too busy, or poorly layered, or if there's better apparel I could've used. Or if this outfit just doesn't make sense!
So I made this outfit for one of my dragons, and I haven't made a lot of outfits and would like some feedback!
Not Found

Arlund is supposed to be a very artsy prince, He rotates his hobbies frequently. But he also thinks very deeply about things, and I wanted to have a sort of greek theme for him, because I think it fits. I was wanting to know if this seems too busy, or poorly layered, or if there's better apparel I could've used. Or if this outfit just doesn't make sense!
nudX0O8.png
^
^
nudX0O8.png
You have a lot of really nice things going on in this one. It might go a long way to help your readability to make it less busy though, if you're concerned about that.

Having too many elements competing with each other for attention can take away from your visual message, and you very clearly put some great thought into what you want to communicate for this guy so we wanna see those cool ideas be able to shine!

If I might suggest something, try making larger areas of similarly grouped color?

Like for example, his legs and tail there. Right now they're dark with a bunch of gold squiggling on through it. Could you shrink the areas where gold cuts into the dark, so those parts stand out more?

If you simplify and group your colors nicely, then your eye will be drawn towards the exceptions, and you can use that to create focal points!
You have a lot of really nice things going on in this one. It might go a long way to help your readability to make it less busy though, if you're concerned about that.

Having too many elements competing with each other for attention can take away from your visual message, and you very clearly put some great thought into what you want to communicate for this guy so we wanna see those cool ideas be able to shine!

If I might suggest something, try making larger areas of similarly grouped color?

Like for example, his legs and tail there. Right now they're dark with a bunch of gold squiggling on through it. Could you shrink the areas where gold cuts into the dark, so those parts stand out more?

If you simplify and group your colors nicely, then your eye will be drawn towards the exceptions, and you can use that to create focal points!
@TavishJur
Thank you for the advice! I'll keep worksopping it a bit with this in mind!
@TavishJur
Thank you for the advice! I'll keep worksopping it a bit with this in mind!
nudX0O8.png
i think i understand what vibe you’re going for with Arlund’s outfit; it’s quite nice. i think the best features of his current apparel are the robes, silks, wreath, and garland, which really contribute to the “greek” and “artsy” elements.

i’d have to agree with tavishjur in that i find myself trying hard to distinguish the (often overlapping) apparel pieces from the dragon himself, and i think it would benefit simplifying the overall colors, like having the main apparel color be black with accents of gold, or white with accents of lavender, etc. i would also lightly suggest just having less apparel in general, because i find that you often don’t need more than like 9-10 pieces to get the general message across! that’s really my personal taste though.

i could try my hand and giving some outfit ideas/help from his current look, if you’re ok with that? ^^
i think i understand what vibe you’re going for with Arlund’s outfit; it’s quite nice. i think the best features of his current apparel are the robes, silks, wreath, and garland, which really contribute to the “greek” and “artsy” elements.

i’d have to agree with tavishjur in that i find myself trying hard to distinguish the (often overlapping) apparel pieces from the dragon himself, and i think it would benefit simplifying the overall colors, like having the main apparel color be black with accents of gold, or white with accents of lavender, etc. i would also lightly suggest just having less apparel in general, because i find that you often don’t need more than like 9-10 pieces to get the general message across! that’s really my personal taste though.

i could try my hand and giving some outfit ideas/help from his current look, if you’re ok with that? ^^
A drawing of a blue and yellow Spiral dragon (art by me). Click to go to the dragon! | @Quebeal
| ♦ ¤ ——−−--
|
|
| FR +1 DST
| Any pronouns
| My current avatar dragon!
| Hey there! I wish you a great day.
———-Recolored treeshroud icon by yascherritsa. Click for resource thread!
@Quebeal
I'd be happy to see your take on his outfit! Thank you for the advice as well!
@Quebeal
I'd be happy to see your take on his outfit! Thank you for the advice as well!
nudX0O8.png
@Ozeatetsor Shoot me a ping to show me what you come up with? I'd love to see!
I hope the advice helps!

That's something I find myself having to come back to pretty often in my art; simplifying the forms, grouping elements together so they flow nicer, etc. So the struggle there is real, hahaha
@Ozeatetsor Shoot me a ping to show me what you come up with? I'd love to see!
I hope the advice helps!

That's something I find myself having to come back to pretty often in my art; simplifying the forms, grouping elements together so they flow nicer, etc. So the struggle there is real, hahaha
I liked what you had going but thought maybe it'd be cool to bring out some of the purple in his gene colors.
Arlund

i feel like the addition of a healer's reference or a scroll case would be fun to accentuate his philosophical inclination, and the use of more dark harvest pieces mean you dont have to bust the bank getting the royalist rings too!
I liked what you had going but thought maybe it'd be cool to bring out some of the purple in his gene colors.
Arlund

i feel like the addition of a healer's reference or a scroll case would be fun to accentuate his philosophical inclination, and the use of more dark harvest pieces mean you dont have to bust the bank getting the royalist rings too!
7XI1FUO.png
alrighty, i came up with three different outfits for this fella, and i'll give a short description for each! [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=3010604&skin=0&apparel=29008,2316,588,3634,13082,3633,15714,41511,21826,41514,21822,22687,15732,23746&xt=dressing.png[/img][outfit=2116598] this first one is the original outfit but simplified, where i tried to keep as many of the OG apparel. i removed some bits that had very strong contrast or used other apparel that does the same thing two pieces did together, saving space. i added the sylvan dress to replace the cuirass (that had a clashy blueish accent) and extended the coloring of the mantle further into the body! [rule] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=3010604&skin=0&apparel=40413,40443,3634,3633,40428,21842,15714,15711,21822,15732,22820&xt=dressing.png[/img][outfit=2116630] here i leaned mostly into the greek/robed aesthetic and almost totally ditched the black to simplify the outfit's palette to off-whites and gold (trying to let the black in the koi gene shine!). there's hints of purple in his toxin gene so i tried to bring it out with the golden harvest vines and wreath, which i think looks quite pretty! i wanted some more purple and layered the silver and twilight sylvan dresses to get this subtle gradient on the robe ;O [rule] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=3010604&skin=11210&apparel=40413,40443,3634,23289,24231,3633,41511,5161,21822,22820,40438,23746&xt=dressing.png[/img][outfit=2116643] finally, i went the opposite way and used mainly blacks for this outfit. i tried to lean a bit more into his "artsy" side with a more dark academia/philosophy look! the feathered wings provide a bit more contrast to the vines and drapes, and i added the illuminated runescroll and the healer's reference for the philosphy vibe. i think the sash could be removed since it's almost completely covered, but i kept it in because why not lol. idk if you looked into adding a skin/accent to him, so i added one, which does work on prettying him up without using apparel! it's pricy though u_u [rule] hope these outfits are helpful and/or inspiring! if you like any of them be sure to save them for yourself in case i end up deleting them. adding onto ErInsomnia, you could also look into the "book collection" pieces, two of which are purple and can accentuate the purple accent if you like it. there's also the lantern apparel pieces, which i think may also look nice. ^^ [size=1]edit: fixed some text.
alrighty, i came up with three different outfits for this fella, and i'll give a short description for each!

scry?sdid=3010604&skin=0&apparel=29008,2316,588,3634,13082,3633,15714,41511,21826,41514,21822,22687,15732,23746&xt=dressing.png
Not Found

this first one is the original outfit but simplified, where i tried to keep as many of the OG apparel. i removed some bits that had very strong contrast or used other apparel that does the same thing two pieces did together, saving space. i added the sylvan dress to replace the cuirass (that had a clashy blueish accent) and extended the coloring of the mantle further into the body!
scry?sdid=3010604&skin=0&apparel=40413,40443,3634,3633,40428,21842,15714,15711,21822,15732,22820&xt=dressing.png
arlund, greco

here i leaned mostly into the greek/robed aesthetic and almost totally ditched the black to simplify the outfit's palette to off-whites and gold (trying to let the black in the koi gene shine!). there's hints of purple in his toxin gene so i tried to bring it out with the golden harvest vines and wreath, which i think looks quite pretty! i wanted some more purple and layered the silver and twilight sylvan dresses to get this subtle gradient on the robe ;O
scry?sdid=3010604&skin=11210&apparel=40413,40443,3634,23289,24231,3633,41511,5161,21822,22820,40438,23746&xt=dressing.png
arlund, dark philosophy

finally, i went the opposite way and used mainly blacks for this outfit. i tried to lean a bit more into his "artsy" side with a more dark academia/philosophy look! the feathered wings provide a bit more contrast to the vines and drapes, and i added the illuminated runescroll and the healer's reference for the philosphy vibe. i think the sash could be removed since it's almost completely covered, but i kept it in because why not lol. idk if you looked into adding a skin/accent to him, so i added one, which does work on prettying him up without using apparel! it's pricy though u_u
hope these outfits are helpful and/or inspiring! if you like any of them be sure to save them for yourself in case i end up deleting them. adding onto ErInsomnia, you could also look into the "book collection" pieces, two of which are purple and can accentuate the purple accent if you like it. there's also the lantern apparel pieces, which i think may also look nice. ^^

edit: fixed some text.
A drawing of a blue and yellow Spiral dragon (art by me). Click to go to the dragon! | @Quebeal
| ♦ ¤ ——−−--
|
|
| FR +1 DST
| Any pronouns
| My current avatar dragon!
| Hey there! I wish you a great day.
———-Recolored treeshroud icon by yascherritsa. Click for resource thread!
@ErInsomnia
@Quebeal
These are all amazing! I may take forever to come to a final design... Thank you for these ideas!
@ErInsomnia
@Quebeal
These are all amazing! I may take forever to come to a final design... Thank you for these ideas!
nudX0O8.png
1 2