Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Beastclan headcanons discussion/ideas
I wasn't fully happy with how the beastclan lore was suddenly turned all happy-lovey-friendly, while I can see the reasons behind it and agree with it, it feels less like it was toned down and more like it was completely altered into a twelve NPC flight. I can understand the comparisons and they WERE bad, but I think they weren't as bad as people were saying. You have to remember that the beastclans themselves are newer than the flights, but the species themselves are around the same age as dragons.

So here's MY toned down headcanon of what actually happened:
The beastclans formally formed in response to the Flights and the dominance battles. The dragons were begin to expand, and the Beasts were not considered lesser, but dragons simply didn't notice them. The Clans formed to take advantage of Dominance and to serve as "protective" expansion. However, due to some of dragonkind turning against the Clans due to their wishes that the Beastclans be left out of the Dominance fight (As they didn't actually have a representative deity), the Beastclans and these dragon groups would often skirmish, while injuries were low as they focused more on ambushes and driving away the opponent. The Beasts were attempting to expand out to gain favor and Dominance, while this one "faction" of dragonkind mistook that as aggression. In the recent time period however, peace is befalling the land as acceptance of the Beastclans as a Dominance group has slowly grown. The practice of driving each other away is fading away. That said, fighting and tensions are still very present...
I wasn't fully happy with how the beastclan lore was suddenly turned all happy-lovey-friendly, while I can see the reasons behind it and agree with it, it feels less like it was toned down and more like it was completely altered into a twelve NPC flight. I can understand the comparisons and they WERE bad, but I think they weren't as bad as people were saying. You have to remember that the beastclans themselves are newer than the flights, but the species themselves are around the same age as dragons.

So here's MY toned down headcanon of what actually happened:
The beastclans formally formed in response to the Flights and the dominance battles. The dragons were begin to expand, and the Beasts were not considered lesser, but dragons simply didn't notice them. The Clans formed to take advantage of Dominance and to serve as "protective" expansion. However, due to some of dragonkind turning against the Clans due to their wishes that the Beastclans be left out of the Dominance fight (As they didn't actually have a representative deity), the Beastclans and these dragon groups would often skirmish, while injuries were low as they focused more on ambushes and driving away the opponent. The Beasts were attempting to expand out to gain favor and Dominance, while this one "faction" of dragonkind mistook that as aggression. In the recent time period however, peace is befalling the land as acceptance of the Beastclans as a Dominance group has slowly grown. The practice of driving each other away is fading away. That said, fighting and tensions are still very present...
?1yJ3f=platform.png
RSUsSvx.png
[quote=Dogmage999]but they weren't as bad as people were saying.[/quote] i think its okay to have your own opinion on the lore change or the lore in general but i also think it might be good to not downplay other people's emotions/views
Dogmage999 wrote:
but they weren't as bad as people were saying.

i think its okay to have your own opinion on the lore change or the lore in general but i also think it might be good to not downplay other people's emotions/views
||
||
||
||
||
||
. .. zilla - 25 - he/him

SUPZzVm.gif
. . . ||
||
||
||
||
||
. . .
5hUIhs7.gif5hUIhs7.gif5hUIhs7.gif5hUIhs7.gif
ePOliyb.pngAaYNmEX.png
bYt72YT.png5ouR6ge.png
0MTaj3d.pngpyAp3dI.png
5hF3FGk.pngYMPbu9R.png
. . . ||
||
||
||
||
||
. . . avvie derg: peeps
..02EJkdw.png
. . . ||
||
||
||
||
||
[quote name="Zi11a" date="2022-12-15 14:52:26" ] [quote=Dogmage999]but they weren't as bad as people were saying.[/quote] i think its okay to have your own opinion on the lore change or the lore in general but i also think it might be good to not downplay other people's emotions/views [/quote] I know, I personally just think people were overreacting a little to something that could have easily have been changed or reworded to avoid having to redo a big chunk of established lore.
Zi11a wrote on 2022-12-15 14:52:26:
Dogmage999 wrote:
but they weren't as bad as people were saying.

i think its okay to have your own opinion on the lore change or the lore in general but i also think it might be good to not downplay other people's emotions/views
I know, I personally just think people were overreacting a little to something that could have easily have been changed or reworded to avoid having to redo a big chunk of established lore.
?1yJ3f=platform.png
RSUsSvx.png
i just feel like using the term 'overreacting' is a little insensitive :c
i just feel like using the term 'overreacting' is a little insensitive :c
||
||
||
||
||
||
. .. zilla - 25 - he/him

SUPZzVm.gif
. . . ||
||
||
||
||
||
. . .
5hUIhs7.gif5hUIhs7.gif5hUIhs7.gif5hUIhs7.gif
ePOliyb.pngAaYNmEX.png
bYt72YT.png5ouR6ge.png
0MTaj3d.pngpyAp3dI.png
5hF3FGk.pngYMPbu9R.png
. . . ||
||
||
||
||
||
. . . avvie derg: peeps
..02EJkdw.png
. . . ||
||
||
||
||
||
Hi there @Dogmage999, it appears there's been a misunderstanding! We're removing colonial parallels, specifically an overpowering and invading force causing wide scale cultural destruction, which is a form of genocide, from our lore. I think [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/3193191/38#post_52948297]Undel's response from the Announcements thread[/url][/b] will help clear up this misunderstanding. Thank you! [quote name="Undel" date="2022-12-14 14:15:01" ] We did not feel that the genocide, cultural erasure (in the original harpy articles the war was causing them to lose their culture), and loss of territory to an overwhelming force were something we wanted in a game when the creatures this was happening to looked so much like humans. This does not mean that harpies and dragons are always buddies. Though the harpies have a close alliance with the majority of wind clans, other flights treat them with a more cautious approach and may have their own alliances with different Beastclans. And those big shapes harassing even the harpies in the Windswept Plateau? Those aren't ancients. [b]In other words, we simply chose what we did and did not want in our game, and we decided that the colonialism parallels were something we did not want to have in our story.[/b] And we especially did not like the fact our unresolved story placed our players in the parallel position of destructive aggressors. There is still conflict and dark themes in the world of Sornieth. The dragon flights remain antagonistic towards one another. Dragons follow primal elemental forces as their guiding principles. There's a worker's revolution in Fire, a catastrophic proliferation of magic vs technology in Arcane and Lightning, a wartime standstill between Plague and Nature, things from deep in the stone being dug up in Earth, otherworldly threats forever jailed except maybe...not?, missing prophetic deities, an energy-sucking otherworldly force infesting Sornieth, and an overwhelming surge of elemental energy to name a few. Plus the fact that dragons—like people—aren't always going to get along with each other. [/quote]
Hi there @Dogmage999, it appears there's been a misunderstanding! We're removing colonial parallels, specifically an overpowering and invading force causing wide scale cultural destruction, which is a form of genocide, from our lore. I think Undel's response from the Announcements thread will help clear up this misunderstanding. Thank you!

Undel wrote on 2022-12-14 14:15:01:
We did not feel that the genocide, cultural erasure (in the original harpy articles the war was causing them to lose their culture), and loss of territory to an overwhelming force were something we wanted in a game when the creatures this was happening to looked so much like humans. This does not mean that harpies and dragons are always buddies. Though the harpies have a close alliance with the majority of wind clans, other flights treat them with a more cautious approach and may have their own alliances with different Beastclans. And those big shapes harassing even the harpies in the Windswept Plateau? Those aren't ancients.

In other words, we simply chose what we did and did not want in our game, and we decided that the colonialism parallels were something we did not want to have in our story. And we especially did not like the fact our unresolved story placed our players in the parallel position of destructive aggressors.

There is still conflict and dark themes in the world of Sornieth. The dragon flights remain antagonistic towards one another. Dragons follow primal elemental forces as their guiding principles. There's a worker's revolution in Fire, a catastrophic proliferation of magic vs technology in Arcane and Lightning, a wartime standstill between Plague and Nature, things from deep in the stone being dug up in Earth, otherworldly threats forever jailed except maybe...not?, missing prophetic deities, an energy-sucking otherworldly force infesting Sornieth, and an overwhelming surge of elemental energy to name a few. Plus the fact that dragons—like people—aren't always going to get along with each other.