Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Vulture Culture?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
@Merlyn that's amazing! I just recently got into looking for animal bones. It started when a fox got hit by a car on my road... I took it and left it in my back yard. And surprise, surprise something came by and stole it .3. I should a burried the bones, but now I know. There are also two fawns that I found, but their skulls aren't intact. Made me sad.
@Merlyn that's amazing! I just recently got into looking for animal bones. It started when a fox got hit by a car on my road... I took it and left it in my back yard. And surprise, surprise something came by and stole it .3. I should a burried the bones, but now I know. There are also two fawns that I found, but their skulls aren't intact. Made me sad.
6klg2iF.png

I'm so happy that there's a thread on this! I love collecting found bones, and while my family and most friends don't understand it, for the most part am supported in this! My ex girlfriend actually gave me a grocery bag with a deer spine and pelvis in it a while ago... Had to carry it around school all day. People didn't know what to think when I told them what was in it.

Have you guys been supported in your vulture ways?
I'm so happy that there's a thread on this! I love collecting found bones, and while my family and most friends don't understand it, for the most part am supported in this! My ex girlfriend actually gave me a grocery bag with a deer spine and pelvis in it a while ago... Had to carry it around school all day. People didn't know what to think when I told them what was in it.

Have you guys been supported in your vulture ways?
I'd love to get into this sort of thing, but it would probably be a little more difficult while living in an apartment lol... But anyway, I think my dad's collection of skulls kind of got me interested in it. He usually keeps them in the shed, but he'd take them out and decorate the porch with them around Halloween ha. I don't think he'd picked any up himself yet, and aside from buying them, I think he's got a few from a friend that owns a farm. It kind of made me laugh one time when he said he saw a recently dead hawk on the side of the highway and wanted to stop and get it, but my mom probably wouldn't have been happy and it was gone the next day anyway.

I've thought about maybe even just buying some skulls or products that some people I follow on Tumblr make, but it seems that they go pretty quick or are a little out of my price range. :T
I'd love to get into this sort of thing, but it would probably be a little more difficult while living in an apartment lol... But anyway, I think my dad's collection of skulls kind of got me interested in it. He usually keeps them in the shed, but he'd take them out and decorate the porch with them around Halloween ha. I don't think he'd picked any up himself yet, and aside from buying them, I think he's got a few from a friend that owns a farm. It kind of made me laugh one time when he said he saw a recently dead hawk on the side of the highway and wanted to stop and get it, but my mom probably wouldn't have been happy and it was gone the next day anyway.

I've thought about maybe even just buying some skulls or products that some people I follow on Tumblr make, but it seems that they go pretty quick or are a little out of my price range. :T
1 hatchling available!
roaDmns.png
ooh!
I've always been the kind of person who gravitates to animal bits. I'm not fond of whole bodies, but 'hey, is that a body-less deer leg on the side of the path? Picture time!' is not uncommon for me.
I don't have much of a collection because my parents don't approve of that stuff, but I do have several things made out of alpaca pelt, along with a full skin's worth of deer leather I got from a friend (with a matching ring from my grandma that has a stag's tooth in it!)
I managed to gather quite the hoard of feathers, though :)
One time I took home a pancake-flat dead snake I found on the side of the road, but it eventually got thrown away. I also got this close to taking home an intact set of wing bones, but it was at a camp so they said I had to wait... I hid it in a bush but I never found it again...
ooh!
I've always been the kind of person who gravitates to animal bits. I'm not fond of whole bodies, but 'hey, is that a body-less deer leg on the side of the path? Picture time!' is not uncommon for me.
I don't have much of a collection because my parents don't approve of that stuff, but I do have several things made out of alpaca pelt, along with a full skin's worth of deer leather I got from a friend (with a matching ring from my grandma that has a stag's tooth in it!)
I managed to gather quite the hoard of feathers, though :)
One time I took home a pancake-flat dead snake I found on the side of the road, but it eventually got thrown away. I also got this close to taking home an intact set of wing bones, but it was at a camp so they said I had to wait... I hid it in a bush but I never found it again...
they/them or he/him please. I'm in FR time.
Aaaahhhh I don't have time to read the whole thread right now but I'm gonna ping myself so I don't lose this one. @Salamandra

I'll come back soon and hang out and read all of your lovely stories. :D I didn't know Plague had a VC thread... I bet Nature could get down with that, too. There must be other vultures in Nature.
Aaaahhhh I don't have time to read the whole thread right now but I'm gonna ping myself so I don't lose this one. @Salamandra

I'll come back soon and hang out and read all of your lovely stories. :D I didn't know Plague had a VC thread... I bet Nature could get down with that, too. There must be other vultures in Nature.
tumblr_n69vu8VRkE1t0ibwro6_250.gif
My uncle was a vet and taxidermist who collects skins, bones, skulls, and the occasional preserved specimen like a one-eyed kitten. Slumber parties with him consisted of reading a lot of old comics and sleeping on a bear fur with skull still in. He's given me skulls, some of which he very recently found out weren't legal in the states (he worked a lot in Korea and India) and I've never lost my fascination with bones and furs. Some people say it's morbid, but I think of it as respectful - you're willing to acknowledge the fact that an animal lived its own life before you got its meat.
My uncle was a vet and taxidermist who collects skins, bones, skulls, and the occasional preserved specimen like a one-eyed kitten. Slumber parties with him consisted of reading a lot of old comics and sleeping on a bear fur with skull still in. He's given me skulls, some of which he very recently found out weren't legal in the states (he worked a lot in Korea and India) and I've never lost my fascination with bones and furs. Some people say it's morbid, but I think of it as respectful - you're willing to acknowledge the fact that an animal lived its own life before you got its meat.
@Dalldall I actually made a road-kill kit for my car. I used to see a ton of it around here... of course, as soon as I put the kit together, I can't find a thing (except for the pancaked skunk, whom I passed on because that smell).

buuuut enough of that. here's what's in mine - a lot of it is "just in case" stuff:
  • a big, sharp knife in case I only want parts
  • several small trash bags
  • several large (like contractor) trash bags
  • kitchen shears
  • hand sanitizer
  • paper towels
  • a rubbermaid tote
  • latex/nylon gloves

I do have a few critters waiting in my freezer, but I haven't actually fleshed or macerated any yet, so I'm afraid I'm not very helpful with supplies there.
@Dalldall I actually made a road-kill kit for my car. I used to see a ton of it around here... of course, as soon as I put the kit together, I can't find a thing (except for the pancaked skunk, whom I passed on because that smell).

buuuut enough of that. here's what's in mine - a lot of it is "just in case" stuff:
  • a big, sharp knife in case I only want parts
  • several small trash bags
  • several large (like contractor) trash bags
  • kitchen shears
  • hand sanitizer
  • paper towels
  • a rubbermaid tote
  • latex/nylon gloves

I do have a few critters waiting in my freezer, but I haven't actually fleshed or macerated any yet, so I'm afraid I'm not very helpful with supplies there.
tumblr_n69vu8VRkE1t0ibwro6_250.gif
This is Miranda. [img]http://media.tumblr.com/c28e0aa44eba4bde2d3605a48e408d83/tumblr_inline_n7xiw53k4W1rezucq.jpg[/img] I made Miranda at a workshop. Here she is guarding the boat. She isn't finished. I have to knit her a tiny sweater and then give her some tiny knitting of her own to do - that's why her paws are posed so oddly. MIRANDA
This is Miranda.

tumblr_inline_n7xiw53k4W1rezucq.jpg

I made Miranda at a workshop. Here she is guarding the boat.

She isn't finished. I have to knit her a tiny sweater and then give her some tiny knitting of her own to do - that's why her paws are posed so oddly.

MIRANDA
Proud member of the Pride Breeders Association
ie finally dug up pictures of my collection from a few months ago. i have a new set up now since we moved but its in the garage and its dark, and also i havent gotten much new stuff apart from a few cat bones a wolf skull and a calf hide. i hope no one minds me sharing so many pictures (im sorry theyre so big!!!) ! its nice to know theres a few of us here !!!! [img]http://37.media.tumblr.com/9027186effdb6661d39c76202775b4cf/tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo5_1280.jpg[/img] [img]http://33.media.tumblr.com/c8a2915cc10b229f1a9dffee467469fa/tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo8_500.jpg[/img] [img]http://31.media.tumblr.com/77504a185241bf0d7ac7f51442aa3dea/tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo3_1280.jpg[/img] [img]http://38.media.tumblr.com/5d4c4685d72c277e282d9ac91d14bd1d/tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo2_1280.jpg[/img] [img]http://38.media.tumblr.com/dbb4f4cca756525df76ba3c187b1b4d8/tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo1_1280.jpg[/img] [img]http://37.media.tumblr.com/7014a04f4462e4e2a15250791f5dc0a2/tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo9_1280.jpg[/img] [img]http://38.media.tumblr.com/0b644d35a8123595fa8a5b25c2294456/tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo10_r1_500.jpg[/img] [img]http://38.media.tumblr.com/d8d699906f3502f8f9b9c8bbd5f800b0/tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo7_r1_500.jpg[/img]
ie finally dug up pictures of my collection from a few months ago. i have a new set up now since we moved but its in the garage and its dark, and also i havent gotten much new stuff apart from a few cat bones a wolf skull and a calf hide.

i hope no one minds me sharing so many pictures (im sorry theyre so big!!!) ! its nice to know theres a few of us here !!!!

tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo5_1280.jpg
tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo8_500.jpg
tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo9_1280.jpg
tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo10_r1_500.jpg
tumblr_n1y9tsdORW1smspygo7_r1_500.jpg
kTMJz3r.png

thanks arcanist
@Kludde are you in Australia? I see a bit of macropod material there! Also the masked lapwing. And I think I see some Australian magpie feathers.
@Kludde are you in Australia? I see a bit of macropod material there! Also the masked lapwing. And I think I see some Australian magpie feathers.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8