Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | (Coliseum) Ability: Taunting Call
The concept is rather simple.

A new Battlestone on the Ability Category.

The dragon who has it equipped can use it on themselves in order to initiate a Taunt effect on themselves for 5 turns (same as Rally or Haste).
A dragon with the Taunt status effect has a higher chance of enemies targeting them. (Stat undetermined)

This ability would increase the viability of a tank build, and may prove useful to two party trainer teams (One dragon to blow through enemies, the other to absorb hits.)
Would work excellently on Farming Teams!
This ability would make the Guard battlestone viable.
This ability would also not skew the current top meta teams.
This ability WOULD NOT appear in enemies, only player dragons can use this skill.

If anyone has any suggestions or criticisms, I'd be happy to hear them!
(Remember! It's not enough to say "This is bad" or "This would ruin the coliseum". Always provide an explanation, so that way, I can know What to change about the original suggestion, or what to add. Be civil!)
The concept is rather simple.

A new Battlestone on the Ability Category.

The dragon who has it equipped can use it on themselves in order to initiate a Taunt effect on themselves for 5 turns (same as Rally or Haste).
A dragon with the Taunt status effect has a higher chance of enemies targeting them. (Stat undetermined)

This ability would increase the viability of a tank build, and may prove useful to two party trainer teams (One dragon to blow through enemies, the other to absorb hits.)
Would work excellently on Farming Teams!
This ability would make the Guard battlestone viable.
This ability would also not skew the current top meta teams.
This ability WOULD NOT appear in enemies, only player dragons can use this skill.

If anyone has any suggestions or criticisms, I'd be happy to hear them!
(Remember! It's not enough to say "This is bad" or "This would ruin the coliseum". Always provide an explanation, so that way, I can know What to change about the original suggestion, or what to add. Be civil!)
15295.png
+ Pacific Time | Neutral Evil | Artist Kinda +
rtbhGZ5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium.png
39072.png q7KYqlT.png
Full support!! Funky battle effects are fun.

An addition: maybe an advanced form on this taunt ability that does that + raise your STR slightly (not Rally levels) each time you're hit up to a cap (total STR bonus higher than Rally, but requires you to take quite a bit of damage before you get to that point)? Like an enrage ability. It would definitely encourage more people to run bulky dragons (my preference) over glass cannons every single time and would work swimmingly with 1-dragon leveler teams.

And I also have a suggestion to piggy back on this thread: Passive battlestones that add a secondary effect to the Defend action (like a medic's bag that puts on a 1 or 2-turn regen on you when you defend, a toxic mushroom that gives you a shorter-duration Rally, or even an item that applies this suggested Taunt effect when you defend, for tanks).

I'd also like higher dragon levels pls. I miss the satisfaction of assigning skill points
Full support!! Funky battle effects are fun.

An addition: maybe an advanced form on this taunt ability that does that + raise your STR slightly (not Rally levels) each time you're hit up to a cap (total STR bonus higher than Rally, but requires you to take quite a bit of damage before you get to that point)? Like an enrage ability. It would definitely encourage more people to run bulky dragons (my preference) over glass cannons every single time and would work swimmingly with 1-dragon leveler teams.

And I also have a suggestion to piggy back on this thread: Passive battlestones that add a secondary effect to the Defend action (like a medic's bag that puts on a 1 or 2-turn regen on you when you defend, a toxic mushroom that gives you a shorter-duration Rally, or even an item that applies this suggested Taunt effect when you defend, for tanks).

I'd also like higher dragon levels pls. I miss the satisfaction of assigning skill points
Selling some old, and leveled, dragons!
I had considered this as well, definite support. I remember when I played Ruined King, the two tanks both had taunts which were very good. Drawing enemies towards a single bulky person is much better than only dedicating to protect maybe one weaker person with Guard. Some sort of balancing would have to take place if we're adding a Taunt (and I wonder if it could be either an 'Energy skill' like Scratch or Concentrate, or an 'Ability skill' like the elemental attacks or Guard)...

Full support anyhow. This makes me realize some other potential additions for perhaps another suggestion another time.
I had considered this as well, definite support. I remember when I played Ruined King, the two tanks both had taunts which were very good. Drawing enemies towards a single bulky person is much better than only dedicating to protect maybe one weaker person with Guard. Some sort of balancing would have to take place if we're adding a Taunt (and I wonder if it could be either an 'Energy skill' like Scratch or Concentrate, or an 'Ability skill' like the elemental attacks or Guard)...

Full support anyhow. This makes me realize some other potential additions for perhaps another suggestion another time.
I agree; this is something FR's coli needs.
I agree; this is something FR's coli needs.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
So much support! I've always wanted to play around with a tank build, but they're never really reliable.
So much support! I've always wanted to play around with a tank build, but they're never really reliable.
Howdy!

Helticks
+2 fr time
-xIsegSQ.png NL841GZ.png 90686005.png d974qyj.png
I'm a bit caught up on the claim that this would "make Guard viable" since the description makes it sound like it would be the same basic functionality as Guard (a taunt-style battlestone) but different since it would be covering both the other dragons in the party rather than one? Did you mean Anticipate rather than Guard? Anticipate is the "gets energy from being hit" stone, Guard is a taunt.

In any case, as someone who regularly uses Anticipate and Guard to train fodder I do have to object to the idea of either or both of them not being viable currently. They're both perfectly viable! But yes, Guard is a bit on the losing side of the battlestones field— it's so niche, and the 70% chance to cover only one dragon ends up feeling more like 50% most of the time. I use it because tanking without Guard is the most thankless feeling ever, but buffing it a small amount wouldn't unbalance things.

Because of this, I don't think adding a new stone to replace Guard would boost tank builds very much higher, precisely because (as you point out) it wouldn't rival the current top meta of glass cannons everywhere. This isn't really something that FR can easily fix; it's a problem with tank builds in any single-player turn-based RPG, but that doesn't mean that tank mechanics can't be boosted to make people who want to play with tanks have a slightly easier time. Personally, I'd prefer Guard getting buffed— to what you describe as a new stone, covering two dragons instead of one but having the same mechanics otherwise.

To be clear, I don't have any objections to your suggestion overall, I'm just quibbling on the details, since adding a new skill would only make Guard (the same only now worse) obsolete. IMO, better to buff the existing skill a tiny bit in a way that makes it easier for people playing that style but isn't going to unbalance the system entirely.
I'm a bit caught up on the claim that this would "make Guard viable" since the description makes it sound like it would be the same basic functionality as Guard (a taunt-style battlestone) but different since it would be covering both the other dragons in the party rather than one? Did you mean Anticipate rather than Guard? Anticipate is the "gets energy from being hit" stone, Guard is a taunt.

In any case, as someone who regularly uses Anticipate and Guard to train fodder I do have to object to the idea of either or both of them not being viable currently. They're both perfectly viable! But yes, Guard is a bit on the losing side of the battlestones field— it's so niche, and the 70% chance to cover only one dragon ends up feeling more like 50% most of the time. I use it because tanking without Guard is the most thankless feeling ever, but buffing it a small amount wouldn't unbalance things.

Because of this, I don't think adding a new stone to replace Guard would boost tank builds very much higher, precisely because (as you point out) it wouldn't rival the current top meta of glass cannons everywhere. This isn't really something that FR can easily fix; it's a problem with tank builds in any single-player turn-based RPG, but that doesn't mean that tank mechanics can't be boosted to make people who want to play with tanks have a slightly easier time. Personally, I'd prefer Guard getting buffed— to what you describe as a new stone, covering two dragons instead of one but having the same mechanics otherwise.

To be clear, I don't have any objections to your suggestion overall, I'm just quibbling on the details, since adding a new skill would only make Guard (the same only now worse) obsolete. IMO, better to buff the existing skill a tiny bit in a way that makes it easier for people playing that style but isn't going to unbalance the system entirely.
I'd love to see the pool of Coli abilities deepen.

How would this stone work in PVP?
I'd love to see the pool of Coli abilities deepen.

How would this stone work in PVP?
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.