Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lore Advice?
1 2 3
Hi there!!

I really want to start writing lore, but I'm not enjoying any ideas I'm having currently.

I'd love to hear any and all ideas anybody had/would be willing for me to use, and I'd be more than happy to pay for any ideas I'd end up using! I know it's kinda a loose agreement, but I just thought maybe somebody would wanna share something they didn't want to use themselves.

I'd also just love to hear how you all come up with your own ideas; like where to start, really. That's the biggest struggle for me.

Thanks a bunch :D
Hi there!!

I really want to start writing lore, but I'm not enjoying any ideas I'm having currently.

I'd love to hear any and all ideas anybody had/would be willing for me to use, and I'd be more than happy to pay for any ideas I'd end up using! I know it's kinda a loose agreement, but I just thought maybe somebody would wanna share something they didn't want to use themselves.

I'd also just love to hear how you all come up with your own ideas; like where to start, really. That's the biggest struggle for me.

Thanks a bunch :D
marci | she/they | 8+FRT | please ping!
I base a lot of my lore on the dragon’s appearance. Let me try to break it down.

1. I have chosen most of my lore to revolve around the plague flight. Read the official lore and other player’s lore to get a sense of what plague is.

2. The dragon I have acquired looks cool, fitting or is special to me. I want to keep it, eventually dress it up and give it a nice name.

3. Who is this dragon? A bright pink fae with a flower clown is probably not a hardcore warrior. But you never know. Play around and create characters that are fun and interesting to you.

4. Development! I have roleplayed a lot with my dragons, and developed their stories and the clan’s past. Try to make creative works, like poems, stories and art.

5. Don’t be afraid to switch it up. You might like what you write now, but one year goes by and UGH! I write that, and liked it??? Its a process, just remember to have fun ::)
I base a lot of my lore on the dragon’s appearance. Let me try to break it down.

1. I have chosen most of my lore to revolve around the plague flight. Read the official lore and other player’s lore to get a sense of what plague is.

2. The dragon I have acquired looks cool, fitting or is special to me. I want to keep it, eventually dress it up and give it a nice name.

3. Who is this dragon? A bright pink fae with a flower clown is probably not a hardcore warrior. But you never know. Play around and create characters that are fun and interesting to you.

4. Development! I have roleplayed a lot with my dragons, and developed their stories and the clan’s past. Try to make creative works, like poems, stories and art.

5. Don’t be afraid to switch it up. You might like what you write now, but one year goes by and UGH! I write that, and liked it??? Its a process, just remember to have fun ::)
IfCmPpP.png
My nature lore revolves around staying primal and wild in context of pure dragon magic power. Everyone who wants to achieve their true potential is welcomed here, even plague dragons. My Clan Leader has conflict with some Lightning dragons and think because they use technology they only weaken themselves (irl I really like Lightning Flight it's just lore purpose), but have no opposites to train one of them if they want to be stronger. That doesn't mean we're like cavemens. We do have some technology but it's highly supported by magic and my clan don't focus on it that much like lightning clans.

I got my idea from game Terraria. You constantly must upgrade yourself and face stronger enemies so pure power really matters. There's no place for weaklings unless you want just quit the game or play more casual and die every 5 minutes.
My nature lore revolves around staying primal and wild in context of pure dragon magic power. Everyone who wants to achieve their true potential is welcomed here, even plague dragons. My Clan Leader has conflict with some Lightning dragons and think because they use technology they only weaken themselves (irl I really like Lightning Flight it's just lore purpose), but have no opposites to train one of them if they want to be stronger. That doesn't mean we're like cavemens. We do have some technology but it's highly supported by magic and my clan don't focus on it that much like lightning clans.

I got my idea from game Terraria. You constantly must upgrade yourself and face stronger enemies so pure power really matters. There's no place for weaklings unless you want just quit the game or play more casual and die every 5 minutes.
thank you both! I'm a part of the nature flight so it's great to see everybody's individual interpretation, and it's also good to get a breakdown of how to write lore.

cheers :D
thank you both! I'm a part of the nature flight so it's great to see everybody's individual interpretation, and it's also good to get a breakdown of how to write lore.

cheers :D
If you want to build an all-encompassing lore for your lair as a whole, and still have your progenitors, I would start there. (or designate other dragons as the 'progenitors') Beginning with how did they come together and create the clan? If someone else leads it now, how did that happen? How was the location of your lair chosen?

These are things I focus on in my lore, because my progenitors lead the clan first, but I didn't like them anymore so I imagined new dragons were the leaders. Later on, I worked on geneing my progens and fell in love with them again so the power shifted back via a revolution, and I created a story of how they lost power to begin with.

Right now I'm considering moving the main location of my clan (from the crystalspine reaches to hoverview vale) so that will be the next big chapter of lore stories for me.

Some dragons who originate in other lairs I focus more on their backstory, their elemental roots and how they came to be a part of my clan. Why'd they leave home? How'd they find us? Why did they want to stay? I make heavy use of this canon lore compendium to review the characteristics of other elements and dragon species. There's also a big focus on jobs in my clan, so think about important roles a community/town should have in this world and assign them, like a doctor, chef, guard, gatherer, etc.
If you want to build an all-encompassing lore for your lair as a whole, and still have your progenitors, I would start there. (or designate other dragons as the 'progenitors') Beginning with how did they come together and create the clan? If someone else leads it now, how did that happen? How was the location of your lair chosen?

These are things I focus on in my lore, because my progenitors lead the clan first, but I didn't like them anymore so I imagined new dragons were the leaders. Later on, I worked on geneing my progens and fell in love with them again so the power shifted back via a revolution, and I created a story of how they lost power to begin with.

Right now I'm considering moving the main location of my clan (from the crystalspine reaches to hoverview vale) so that will be the next big chapter of lore stories for me.

Some dragons who originate in other lairs I focus more on their backstory, their elemental roots and how they came to be a part of my clan. Why'd they leave home? How'd they find us? Why did they want to stay? I make heavy use of this canon lore compendium to review the characteristics of other elements and dragon species. There's also a big focus on jobs in my clan, so think about important roles a community/town should have in this world and assign them, like a doctor, chef, guard, gatherer, etc.
Always seeking dragons with interesting colors, Buying thread Stock the Pond! Breeding Challenge
he/him
twenties
mentally ill
about me / FAQ
clan lore
arcane flight
pings ok
FR Time +3
Fandragons tab
Pastel Goth Imperial Hatchery, Selling thread Secondhand Dragons for sale, selling thread
My lore, while a huge wip, is a clan of criminals so its always interesting writing a new character ^-^
My lore, while a huge wip, is a clan of criminals so its always interesting writing a new character ^-^
9D8YYS1.png
@/Lucks
That's how I'd like to build my lore and the way I was going around it before I just got stuck, but I think I'll try it like that again. My progen is a big part of my lore, as are the roles they play and how other dragons joined the lair. It's a great way of doing it!

@/Crystalpixel That's such a great idea! That gives you like unlimited options ??
nice one :D
@/Lucks
That's how I'd like to build my lore and the way I was going around it before I just got stuck, but I think I'll try it like that again. My progen is a big part of my lore, as are the roles they play and how other dragons joined the lair. It's a great way of doing it!

@/Crystalpixel That's such a great idea! That gives you like unlimited options ??
nice one :D
Bounce off of canon lore if you're having trouble getting started! Read that encyclopedia; I promise you won't regret it and there's absolutely no shame in it.

I started off in Shadow with your stereotypical traveling circus after reading some information on my then home flight. A little over three years later, my lore has developed naturally into what's essentially a centuries long soap opera spanning the entire continent of Sornieth and beyond. All that from starting out small with the encyclopedia! There's loads of inspiration in there :D

I'd also recommend checking out some item tooltips in the game database, as there can be some fun tidbits in there to help get the thought process going as well~
Bounce off of canon lore if you're having trouble getting started! Read that encyclopedia; I promise you won't regret it and there's absolutely no shame in it.

I started off in Shadow with your stereotypical traveling circus after reading some information on my then home flight. A little over three years later, my lore has developed naturally into what's essentially a centuries long soap opera spanning the entire continent of Sornieth and beyond. All that from starting out small with the encyclopedia! There's loads of inspiration in there :D

I'd also recommend checking out some item tooltips in the game database, as there can be some fun tidbits in there to help get the thought process going as well~
u94F7n8.png x x FObX7rS.png Pladge16.png
@/Orodruin
that's what i had been doing, but I wanted something somebody hadn't done so far,, i hold myself to such a high standard, since I couldn't think of anything amAzing, i just didnt write it at all.

i'll revisit the official lore and give it another go, thank you!
@/Orodruin
that's what i had been doing, but I wanted something somebody hadn't done so far,, i hold myself to such a high standard, since I couldn't think of anything amAzing, i just didnt write it at all.

i'll revisit the official lore and give it another go, thank you!
In my lore I created a parallel universe because I couldn't really decide what I wanted my lore to be! I made my own deities and made tabs for each parallel flight, and I'm gradually linking it all together. You can stick to the canon lore as much or as little as you'd like, your dragons can be whatever you want!

Also, there's a big thread of tropes here if you want to browse for inspiration ^^
In my lore I created a parallel universe because I couldn't really decide what I wanted my lore to be! I made my own deities and made tabs for each parallel flight, and I'm gradually linking it all together. You can stick to the canon lore as much or as little as you'd like, your dragons can be whatever you want!

Also, there's a big thread of tropes here if you want to browse for inspiration ^^
Ghetsis' sprite from Pokémon Black and White.
1 2 3