Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Limited Bumping in the ToS
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 44 45
@sdsilver

It does indeed! Thank you very much for your response to my query. I must admit, though. My question was only so I could validate a bit of sarcasm on my part, though, as far as all of this is concerned...

I think basically everything said so far is valid.

But I'm curious, everyone. (Red so folk read it. No caps, though.) Where did this idea come from that this rule is in place to counter spammy dragon sales threads specifically in Flight subforums? Not that I think this might be incorrect, but, there is an awful lot of backing going into this idea that, s'far as I know, isn't even validated by any admins. The only reason I see for the rule being implemented is that it's something they wanted to implement a while ago. So carpe diem.
@sdsilver

It does indeed! Thank you very much for your response to my query. I must admit, though. My question was only so I could validate a bit of sarcasm on my part, though, as far as all of this is concerned...

I think basically everything said so far is valid.

But I'm curious, everyone. (Red so folk read it. No caps, though.) Where did this idea come from that this rule is in place to counter spammy dragon sales threads specifically in Flight subforums? Not that I think this might be incorrect, but, there is an awful lot of backing going into this idea that, s'far as I know, isn't even validated by any admins. The only reason I see for the rule being implemented is that it's something they wanted to implement a while ago. So carpe diem.
I am currently: Online GC's Fresh Blood Hatchery
fr_plaguebanner_profile_by_seepranne-d6ghmos.gifEuI3lse.png
@GreatContagion

There has been a bit of conflict between older users, newer folks, and admin people. (Blame tumblr for screen shots of most of this, though you have to dig them up yourself.) Since the registration window I joined in (April) there have been the sales posts in the flight forums. It wasn't really a thing before then. Older players have been making posts encouraging users to use the stickies, but those are locked for mini-modding. Asking the admins to ban it has gotten a no. Since the flight forums aren't meant to be a mini sales thread this seems to be a work around to try to please everyone without banning what you can post in the flight forum. There is no way to guarantee this, but it is the working theory.
@GreatContagion

There has been a bit of conflict between older users, newer folks, and admin people. (Blame tumblr for screen shots of most of this, though you have to dig them up yourself.) Since the registration window I joined in (April) there have been the sales posts in the flight forums. It wasn't really a thing before then. Older players have been making posts encouraging users to use the stickies, but those are locked for mini-modding. Asking the admins to ban it has gotten a no. Since the flight forums aren't meant to be a mini sales thread this seems to be a work around to try to please everyone without banning what you can post in the flight forum. There is no way to guarantee this, but it is the working theory.
Noooooooooooo
Noooooooooooo
Heart.gif
I'm fine with it, the only thing that I'm bumping frequently is a hatchery.
I'm fine with it, the only thing that I'm bumping frequently is a hatchery.
jCVhFoZ.gif
I'm fine with it in certain forums, but in others it just seems to limit stuff... I'd say all Sales and Art forums should be exempt from it.
I'm fine with it in certain forums, but in others it just seems to limit stuff... I'd say all Sales and Art forums should be exempt from it.
DeviantArt | Art Thread | Art Blog
Yo, I am a dude from the UK, 8 hours ahead of server time! Desperately looking for a Skycat.
My favourite animals are cats, deer, octopus, jellyfish and squids.
Yeah I left my opinion on the original announcement, but I feel it's not quite and quite unfair to topics that have people who are more popular. I never noticed the "Mark are Read" button before, so thank you for adding that as a feature... but I still havent used it. I don't want threads I've read to just "go away" most of the time. I just want to see a variety.

Looking at the first page is a good indication of seeing who is online and posting at the moment. If everything gets shoved pages back, well it's anyone's guess if it just didn't get the attention for the single bump it had or what.

48 is just excessive. I am ok with a bumping rule, but every site I've ever been to has made it a couple minutes, an hour, heck even a day is better than 2 days. =( There's my input, I'm sure others have said similar things too in this thread but.
Yeah I left my opinion on the original announcement, but I feel it's not quite and quite unfair to topics that have people who are more popular. I never noticed the "Mark are Read" button before, so thank you for adding that as a feature... but I still havent used it. I don't want threads I've read to just "go away" most of the time. I just want to see a variety.

Looking at the first page is a good indication of seeing who is online and posting at the moment. If everything gets shoved pages back, well it's anyone's guess if it just didn't get the attention for the single bump it had or what.

48 is just excessive. I am ok with a bumping rule, but every site I've ever been to has made it a couple minutes, an hour, heck even a day is better than 2 days. =( There's my input, I'm sure others have said similar things too in this thread but.
n1ngOA5.png

aeonox_signature_by_jenihudson-d8x54uk.png
Sorry, but I can't even bother to get anywhere near supporting the 24 OR 48 hour idea because of the reasons presented. The subscription thread needs WAY more work before the idea can be implemented effectively as well as more separated thread areas (or a few pinned popular threads*) to make either time period ban work to its best. I am also afraid that new first posts would then just be spammed as the first post mentions in a quote.

We really a proper subscription feature that allows us to save the page we are on or send us to the first/last page of the thread... and then to easily look at that list and edit it later. There are enough self pings made just to track a thread someone doesn't want to lose.

**(for example, the G1 sales/trade threads, coatl/Imp/WC/etc for sale /trade)

Ankokou's comment about the flight boards though does have a point. If this is mostly about the selling posts spamming there, why not have FR make it a rule to limit those sales to the sales thread and enforce it! That would clean it up there.
Sorry, but I can't even bother to get anywhere near supporting the 24 OR 48 hour idea because of the reasons presented. The subscription thread needs WAY more work before the idea can be implemented effectively as well as more separated thread areas (or a few pinned popular threads*) to make either time period ban work to its best. I am also afraid that new first posts would then just be spammed as the first post mentions in a quote.

We really a proper subscription feature that allows us to save the page we are on or send us to the first/last page of the thread... and then to easily look at that list and edit it later. There are enough self pings made just to track a thread someone doesn't want to lose.

**(for example, the G1 sales/trade threads, coatl/Imp/WC/etc for sale /trade)

Ankokou's comment about the flight boards though does have a point. If this is mostly about the selling posts spamming there, why not have FR make it a rule to limit those sales to the sales thread and enforce it! That would clean it up there.
I'm sure anything I'm about to say has already been pointed out at some point, but I'd like to reiterate with my opinion anyway.
I've only ever been active on the dragon sales/item sales/dragon trading and role playing, so I'm going to be doing a bit of assuming.
If the other topics are anything like some listed above, then there is a surplus of threads in it, even without people trying to make new boards to combat this rule.
So, sure, you would get your one bump every two days (which is definitely a bit much, and one day is much more reasonable), and unless someone happens upon the board at the exact moment that you do so and they happen to actually be interested in posting, then your thread will just be swallowed up in a manner of seconds and taken to the next page, which is hardly ever checked.
My biggest concern, however, is losing a slower moving thread entirely after bumping the thread I AM allowed to bump and also from jumping between other threads because you can't very well stick to the same one.
I have had to rely on the recent forum posting thing on my profile in the past, and even that's limited to just five that I can see, so I've had to do a bit of juggling with bumping.
Personally, I would always delete my post unless I have something remotely interesting to say, but I know that not everyone does that.

Anyway, I think I would be okay with this rule until everyone has come up with a better solution... but the forum search REALLY needs to be fixed first.
I'm sure anything I'm about to say has already been pointed out at some point, but I'd like to reiterate with my opinion anyway.
I've only ever been active on the dragon sales/item sales/dragon trading and role playing, so I'm going to be doing a bit of assuming.
If the other topics are anything like some listed above, then there is a surplus of threads in it, even without people trying to make new boards to combat this rule.
So, sure, you would get your one bump every two days (which is definitely a bit much, and one day is much more reasonable), and unless someone happens upon the board at the exact moment that you do so and they happen to actually be interested in posting, then your thread will just be swallowed up in a manner of seconds and taken to the next page, which is hardly ever checked.
My biggest concern, however, is losing a slower moving thread entirely after bumping the thread I AM allowed to bump and also from jumping between other threads because you can't very well stick to the same one.
I have had to rely on the recent forum posting thing on my profile in the past, and even that's limited to just five that I can see, so I've had to do a bit of juggling with bumping.
Personally, I would always delete my post unless I have something remotely interesting to say, but I know that not everyone does that.

Anyway, I think I would be okay with this rule until everyone has come up with a better solution... but the forum search REALLY needs to be fixed first.
tumblr_n5195qneZ01scuu34o2_500.png
@jayara

Not really commenting on the bumping rule, but about the flight boards thing, you can't actively tell other players to move their threads or delete them or whatnot, as that constitutes mini-modding, which is also against the ToS.
@jayara

Not really commenting on the bumping rule, but about the flight boards thing, you can't actively tell other players to move their threads or delete them or whatnot, as that constitutes mini-modding, which is also against the ToS.
LRGcw0O.gifnJTGYTQ.pngA0h640T.gif
I think 30 something hours would be okay. I'm not really in the forums that much right now but 48 hours seems to be too much.

I was also thinking that an actually bump button might work and needs to come into play. Sorta like the familiars binding button. The only thing is that it would require a lot of work I suppose because I don't know how these things work, hehehe. I'm just the idea (wo)man. :)

(just read first post)
I think 30 something hours would be okay. I'm not really in the forums that much right now but 48 hours seems to be too much.

I was also thinking that an actually bump button might work and needs to come into play. Sorta like the familiars binding button. The only thing is that it would require a lot of work I suppose because I don't know how these things work, hehehe. I'm just the idea (wo)man. :)

(just read first post)
1052p.png
KPt2jST.png
PsY9SIv.png
VA1XCHD.png
l5SJ5yw.png
58T08n9.png
kyWLcLU.png
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 44 45