Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Favorite art program?
1 2
I've been using medibang paint pro for years now but I'm getting sick of the popups at the start. I want to find a less-bloated alternative. I rarely draw, like once every few-to-several months, so for that reason I don't wish to pay for a program and prefer a free one. Can be open or closed source.

I'm by no means a professional artist, so it's only essential to me that it has tablet support, draw correction (brush follows the cursor slower, producing smoother lines), and lastly dynamic brush size (brush size depends on how hard you press the pen on the tablet).

Does anyone know such a program? I'm in the mood to make some FR art lately.
I've been using medibang paint pro for years now but I'm getting sick of the popups at the start. I want to find a less-bloated alternative. I rarely draw, like once every few-to-several months, so for that reason I don't wish to pay for a program and prefer a free one. Can be open or closed source.

I'm by no means a professional artist, so it's only essential to me that it has tablet support, draw correction (brush follows the cursor slower, producing smoother lines), and lastly dynamic brush size (brush size depends on how hard you press the pen on the tablet).

Does anyone know such a program? I'm in the mood to make some FR art lately.
ePOliyb.png8VNo9V1.pngBzjAkuF.png
artist | programmer | retro nerd

Cool draggos: KyarCrossFelony

{ Hi! I'm Mr. Ocelittle! See my wishlist! )
ifGjLLQ.png
I recently started using Clip Studio. Still haven't quite figured everything out, but it's a good program. Also, it allows to create vector layers for lineart, which not only allws you to loselessly resize the line, but also to correct them on the fly via anchor points.
I recently started using Clip Studio. Still haven't quite figured everything out, but it's a good program. Also, it allows to create vector layers for lineart, which not only allws you to loselessly resize the line, but also to correct them on the fly via anchor points.
@Xionahri I have some experience with vector art from my old IT school I'm definitely interested in trying that! Thank you for the suggestion!

I'm always open for more though :)
@Xionahri I have some experience with vector art from my old IT school I'm definitely interested in trying that! Thank you for the suggestion!

I'm always open for more though :)

ifGjLLQ.png
I don't know well about the free softwares but I heard Krita is pretty good :) It's free if you download it from their website.

+) Clip studio is really good! I'm also using it. It's not free though...
I don't know well about the free softwares but I heard Krita is pretty good :) It's free if you download it from their website.

+) Clip studio is really good! I'm also using it. It's not free though...
WHERE HER DREAMS END >
Unite we stand, divide we fall
| WD/WHDE | ~Plague~ | Any Pronounce | FRT+17(GMT+9) |

| ART SHOP | ACCENT SHOP | HATCHERY | feel free to ping!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
8c05f7199b7e3138b1bd09794101984bae36928e.png
Krita seems promising. Clip studio is unfortunately a trial, and it only lasts 3 months which to me is like 1 drawing pff

I've heard good things about Paint tool sai too, maybe I'll check that out as well, but I'm trying out Krita first.
Krita seems promising. Clip studio is unfortunately a trial, and it only lasts 3 months which to me is like 1 drawing pff

I've heard good things about Paint tool sai too, maybe I'll check that out as well, but I'm trying out Krita first.

ifGjLLQ.png
I tried Krita and Paint Tool SAI, here are my thoughts:

Krita - doesn't have a way to adjust anti-aliasing settings, or at least it's not obvious enough for me to find. By default it looks pretty bad, like MS Paint's brush tool, I wish I could either make it smoother or turn it off entirely.

Paint Tool SAI - Doesn't let me fix the brush correction when using a mouse. Haven't tried tablet yet, but I like to use my mouse from time to time.

@dunjam I used MS Paint for a loooong time myself haha, still do for minor screenshot edits simply because it has a dynamically resizable canvas. Who has time to measure pixels and subtract numbers just to input a new canvas size... bleh.
I tried Krita and Paint Tool SAI, here are my thoughts:

Krita - doesn't have a way to adjust anti-aliasing settings, or at least it's not obvious enough for me to find. By default it looks pretty bad, like MS Paint's brush tool, I wish I could either make it smoother or turn it off entirely.

Paint Tool SAI - Doesn't let me fix the brush correction when using a mouse. Haven't tried tablet yet, but I like to use my mouse from time to time.

@dunjam I used MS Paint for a loooong time myself haha, still do for minor screenshot edits simply because it has a dynamically resizable canvas. Who has time to measure pixels and subtract numbers just to input a new canvas size... bleh.

ifGjLLQ.png
What about firealpaca? Firealpaca and medibang are somewhat related, so it may be similar, albeit more limited, but there's also an amazing animation feature. I don't use it though, but you can still give it a try! Personally I use Sketchbook Pro, which is extremely simplistic and easy to use - other programs have to many features and too cluttered and overwhelming for me. Sad thing it doesn't have clipping masks, but that doesn't matter if you're doing paintings.

(Both have less brushes than medibang tho)

If you have an ipad there's always procreate, a really powerful tool imo
What about firealpaca? Firealpaca and medibang are somewhat related, so it may be similar, albeit more limited, but there's also an amazing animation feature. I don't use it though, but you can still give it a try! Personally I use Sketchbook Pro, which is extremely simplistic and easy to use - other programs have to many features and too cluttered and overwhelming for me. Sad thing it doesn't have clipping masks, but that doesn't matter if you're doing paintings.

(Both have less brushes than medibang tho)

If you have an ipad there's always procreate, a really powerful tool imo
Clip Studio Paint goes on sale every quarter or so, that's when I bought my copy. I think the next sale would be around Black Friday in a month.
Clip Studio Paint goes on sale every quarter or so, that's when I bought my copy. I think the next sale would be around Black Friday in a month.
Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
I'm in love with Clip Paint now that I bought it, but if you're looking for a freebie, Medibang is pretty great too! They don't limit you on anything for being free
I'm in love with Clip Paint now that I bought it, but if you're looking for a freebie, Medibang is pretty great too! They don't limit you on anything for being free
0oo4mUI.png
Painttool sai, i bought it back in like 2015 and no other program blends the way it does. Medibang is good^^^ i tried it but never got into it. The program doesn't make the artist :)
Painttool sai, i bought it back in like 2015 and no other program blends the way it does. Medibang is good^^^ i tried it but never got into it. The program doesn't make the artist :)
rNqOpFe.png
1 2