Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Enter the Underdark (Private)
1 2 3
Rhystalon and Marya were jolted awake by the cage being slammed to the floor of the cavern, while Sakuyahime was dragged out of her meditations.

Rhys was immediately standing in front of Marya and Sakuya, his dragonling wings and head crests extended in an attempt to make himself seem more intimidating.

He watched in horror as the goblins unloaded the furious Palatina. Under her cool coloring, Palatina was a beast of FIre. He quailed as he watched her blasting goblins left and right.

Sakuyahime snarled at the abusive little green pestilences. How DARE they treat such a Lady like that. Even in her rage, Palatina was graceful.

Palatina's rampage took her violent tail just close enough to slam into the ice-damaged cage, terrifying Marya and causing Rhystalon to shield the two young females. It shattered quite a few of the bars, releasing the angry contents. Sakuya.

Being the size of a large donkey, she couldn't do much, but Sakuya's icy wrath crashed over the impromptu battlefield.

Seeing Palatina's bravery, Serylda used the absolute last of her WIndsinger's Gift to summon a wrecking tornado. It was small, but an F3 in strength. It went whipping through the goblins, scattering quite a few of them.

But it wasn't enough.

While Rhys urged Marya to run, he dove into the battle himself, slamming goblins away from Sakuya with his heavy form. He was young, but still quite large, for a child Guardian.

As Palatina was dragged away, the quicker goblins threw hooks into Sakuyahime's back and wings as well. She screamed in pain and rage, ice crackling up the ropes, as they dragged her head to the floor.

"This little piece a baggage 'as caused me MORE than enough trouble! Get my axe!" the lead goblin shouted.

It was quickly in his hands and raised to strike, its target Sakuyahime's pearlescent neck.

Rhystalon's eyes lit up with a realization. He could NOT let her die!

Rhys launched himself to Sakuya's side as the axe crashed down.

Marya screamed from her hiding spot.

The room suddenly went silent.

There was a crunch, and a clatter, as the entire right side of Rhys's crest fell to the floor, accompanied by his right horn.

Sakuya felt a warm wetness plop onto and ooze down over her head and neck.

"ENOUGH!" someone yelled. "You goblin rabble are doing me no good treating my product like this! I can't sell them if they're DEAD!"

Rhys's eyes were fogging in and out, but he could make out a tall, white-haired man walking out of a room from the side. The man's purple skin shone faintly in the torchlight as Rhystalon realized what he was.

Drow.

A Dark Elf.

This was terrifying.

Marya was at Rhys and Sakuya's sides in an instant, as a large net was thrown over the three of them.

"Get them into the cell with the other hatchlings! NOW! Don't injure them any more, you fools!" the Drow ordered.

"And don't hurt that adult Imperial any more! You've nearly ruined her! Get my healing kit, and do it right, or so help me, I'll feed you all TO the dragons!" the Dark Elf screeched.

The three hatchlings were dragged into a barred side cave, and locked in.

Through her own injuries, Sakuya rushed to Rhystalon's side.

"Rhys! Rhys! Talk! Move! SOMETHING!" she howled. More ice crackled around the floor, shocking the other hatchlings in the cell. They were ghostly, defeated little creatures, and said and did nothing.

Rhystalon's bleeding formed a small puddle on the floor, which Sakuya sloshed right through to be at his side.

She cried, snowflakes falling from her face and hanging still in the air.

The goblins shoved Zamoro into the cell in a smaller cage, since he was sall enough to get through the bars. Marya retrieved him and brought him over to the others.

Serylda was taken with Palatina to a different holding facility. A series of cells set into the caves. She was placed in a small one by herself, and given a bowl of water and one of, horrifyingly, maggots. She was deathly allergic, and on top of it, they disgusted her to no end.

She was glad she'd sat out the fight and was uninjured.

There, across from her cell, was another female dragon.

She was a deep black female Imperial, with green shimmering wings, reminiscent of the Clanleader Jarad's pattern.

"Welcome to Hell..." she hissed.

Serylda's heart sank.

Kharahm shook her head. She'd found no visible goblin tracks. But as soon as they got to the capitol, she could track by scent. This angered her, but she could do nothing about it.

Silvona put up her ring after speaking with Dagorain, and made the signal to land.

She'd seen Malu's excitement about something, and wanted to know, and she had her own news.
Rhystalon and Marya were jolted awake by the cage being slammed to the floor of the cavern, while Sakuyahime was dragged out of her meditations.

Rhys was immediately standing in front of Marya and Sakuya, his dragonling wings and head crests extended in an attempt to make himself seem more intimidating.

He watched in horror as the goblins unloaded the furious Palatina. Under her cool coloring, Palatina was a beast of FIre. He quailed as he watched her blasting goblins left and right.

Sakuyahime snarled at the abusive little green pestilences. How DARE they treat such a Lady like that. Even in her rage, Palatina was graceful.

Palatina's rampage took her violent tail just close enough to slam into the ice-damaged cage, terrifying Marya and causing Rhystalon to shield the two young females. It shattered quite a few of the bars, releasing the angry contents. Sakuya.

Being the size of a large donkey, she couldn't do much, but Sakuya's icy wrath crashed over the impromptu battlefield.

Seeing Palatina's bravery, Serylda used the absolute last of her WIndsinger's Gift to summon a wrecking tornado. It was small, but an F3 in strength. It went whipping through the goblins, scattering quite a few of them.

But it wasn't enough.

While Rhys urged Marya to run, he dove into the battle himself, slamming goblins away from Sakuya with his heavy form. He was young, but still quite large, for a child Guardian.

As Palatina was dragged away, the quicker goblins threw hooks into Sakuyahime's back and wings as well. She screamed in pain and rage, ice crackling up the ropes, as they dragged her head to the floor.

"This little piece a baggage 'as caused me MORE than enough trouble! Get my axe!" the lead goblin shouted.

It was quickly in his hands and raised to strike, its target Sakuyahime's pearlescent neck.

Rhystalon's eyes lit up with a realization. He could NOT let her die!

Rhys launched himself to Sakuya's side as the axe crashed down.

Marya screamed from her hiding spot.

The room suddenly went silent.

There was a crunch, and a clatter, as the entire right side of Rhys's crest fell to the floor, accompanied by his right horn.

Sakuya felt a warm wetness plop onto and ooze down over her head and neck.

"ENOUGH!" someone yelled. "You goblin rabble are doing me no good treating my product like this! I can't sell them if they're DEAD!"

Rhys's eyes were fogging in and out, but he could make out a tall, white-haired man walking out of a room from the side. The man's purple skin shone faintly in the torchlight as Rhystalon realized what he was.

Drow.

A Dark Elf.

This was terrifying.

Marya was at Rhys and Sakuya's sides in an instant, as a large net was thrown over the three of them.

"Get them into the cell with the other hatchlings! NOW! Don't injure them any more, you fools!" the Drow ordered.

"And don't hurt that adult Imperial any more! You've nearly ruined her! Get my healing kit, and do it right, or so help me, I'll feed you all TO the dragons!" the Dark Elf screeched.

The three hatchlings were dragged into a barred side cave, and locked in.

Through her own injuries, Sakuya rushed to Rhystalon's side.

"Rhys! Rhys! Talk! Move! SOMETHING!" she howled. More ice crackled around the floor, shocking the other hatchlings in the cell. They were ghostly, defeated little creatures, and said and did nothing.

Rhystalon's bleeding formed a small puddle on the floor, which Sakuya sloshed right through to be at his side.

She cried, snowflakes falling from her face and hanging still in the air.

The goblins shoved Zamoro into the cell in a smaller cage, since he was sall enough to get through the bars. Marya retrieved him and brought him over to the others.

Serylda was taken with Palatina to a different holding facility. A series of cells set into the caves. She was placed in a small one by herself, and given a bowl of water and one of, horrifyingly, maggots. She was deathly allergic, and on top of it, they disgusted her to no end.

She was glad she'd sat out the fight and was uninjured.

There, across from her cell, was another female dragon.

She was a deep black female Imperial, with green shimmering wings, reminiscent of the Clanleader Jarad's pattern.

"Welcome to Hell..." she hissed.

Serylda's heart sank.

Kharahm shook her head. She'd found no visible goblin tracks. But as soon as they got to the capitol, she could track by scent. This angered her, but she could do nothing about it.

Silvona put up her ring after speaking with Dagorain, and made the signal to land.

She'd seen Malu's excitement about something, and wanted to know, and she had her own news.
"Beware; for I am Fearless, and therefore powerful."
-Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
Through her pain and misery, Palatina heard the clanking of closing doors nearby her own cage. Opening her eyes and blinking to clear her vision, she craned her chain-free neck about to see Serylda next door to her in a cage with closely-spaced bars. The sibilant hissing of another dragon, unfamiliar to her, made the Imperial stare into the dimly-lit half of the hall across from them. It was another Imperial, green-based, and she looked...well, terrible. Lank, loose-winged, tired with dark shadows beneath her eyes. She had said "Welcome to Hell". That sounded about right

"What the shard kind of welcome is that...?" Palatina asked with a rasp in her voice; it had been a long time since she had summoned a Flame Bolt in her mouth and it always left her feeling as if she'd been punched in the throat. Crying hadn't helped. It left her tongue like dry cotton. "Where are we? What is this place?"

Zamoro did his best to reach through the bars and grasp at Marya, a pathetic whimper issuing from his open mouth. They had taken Miss Serylda and now he was without an adult dragon for safety. He needed to be touching someone or he'd begin to spiral down into terrible, heart-wrenching wailing.

Within the shadows of the holding cell, Earth-brown eyes watched Sakuya make an excessive amount of noise over the bloodied Guardian. Didn't she know that the Guardians were the hardest to break? He'd be fine.
Slowly, the Imperial fledgling moved towards the shivering group of newly-captured fledglings, and into the dim light. He was obsidian-black in both scales and wings, but decorated strikingly with lavender-purple circuit-markings - the sole reason why he'd been captured and the bane of his existence. Dragging one hind foot that was badly healed and once broken (a token of the lead goblin's response to said foot's talons slicing up another goblin's thigh), he silently approached, flapping his wings to make some form of noise as to not scare them witless. Bobbing his head in a friendly overture understood by all dragon species, he looked more closely at Rhystalon's wounds. Yep, those would heal with time. They would just have to avoid infection. Then he began scribbling dragon-runes in the dirt of the cage floor.

~ Hello. Name is Dalecar. No speak, goblins punch throat. Guardian be okay, need heal. Who are you all? ~

Eclipse saw Kharahm shake her head in the negative and barely resisted a howl of frustration. He wanted to be in the city NOW, no - YESTERDAY. With all his heart, he promised that he would delve through every bit of Tsetsudo's magical history and find out how to summon magical portals between locations. If anyone in the Luminous Aerie knew of such magic, Tsetsudo would.

Malu saw Valravn make a hand gesture and recognized it as a suggestion for everyone to land. She saw the ends of the Tangled Woods, where Shadow territory melted into Earth land, and nodded, pointing towards the bone-white cliffs. Benioti deftly banked to the left, down towards the sandy area. Eclipse was quick to follow and all the dragons blew up pale dust as they alit upon the shelf.

"Sorry all, I got excited. I don't know if you heard me, but Ben's a daddy," Malu said immediately as she knew everyone could hear her voice. Benioti blushed again beneath his scales as Eclipse gave him a piercing look that slowly turned into a thin-lipped smile.

"Congratulations," he said softly. Benioti noted the lack of enthusiasm in his tone and almost took offense, but then remembered that Eclipse's beloved was currently missing and felt badly for his lair-mate.
Through her pain and misery, Palatina heard the clanking of closing doors nearby her own cage. Opening her eyes and blinking to clear her vision, she craned her chain-free neck about to see Serylda next door to her in a cage with closely-spaced bars. The sibilant hissing of another dragon, unfamiliar to her, made the Imperial stare into the dimly-lit half of the hall across from them. It was another Imperial, green-based, and she looked...well, terrible. Lank, loose-winged, tired with dark shadows beneath her eyes. She had said "Welcome to Hell". That sounded about right

"What the shard kind of welcome is that...?" Palatina asked with a rasp in her voice; it had been a long time since she had summoned a Flame Bolt in her mouth and it always left her feeling as if she'd been punched in the throat. Crying hadn't helped. It left her tongue like dry cotton. "Where are we? What is this place?"

Zamoro did his best to reach through the bars and grasp at Marya, a pathetic whimper issuing from his open mouth. They had taken Miss Serylda and now he was without an adult dragon for safety. He needed to be touching someone or he'd begin to spiral down into terrible, heart-wrenching wailing.

Within the shadows of the holding cell, Earth-brown eyes watched Sakuya make an excessive amount of noise over the bloodied Guardian. Didn't she know that the Guardians were the hardest to break? He'd be fine.
Slowly, the Imperial fledgling moved towards the shivering group of newly-captured fledglings, and into the dim light. He was obsidian-black in both scales and wings, but decorated strikingly with lavender-purple circuit-markings - the sole reason why he'd been captured and the bane of his existence. Dragging one hind foot that was badly healed and once broken (a token of the lead goblin's response to said foot's talons slicing up another goblin's thigh), he silently approached, flapping his wings to make some form of noise as to not scare them witless. Bobbing his head in a friendly overture understood by all dragon species, he looked more closely at Rhystalon's wounds. Yep, those would heal with time. They would just have to avoid infection. Then he began scribbling dragon-runes in the dirt of the cage floor.

~ Hello. Name is Dalecar. No speak, goblins punch throat. Guardian be okay, need heal. Who are you all? ~

Eclipse saw Kharahm shake her head in the negative and barely resisted a howl of frustration. He wanted to be in the city NOW, no - YESTERDAY. With all his heart, he promised that he would delve through every bit of Tsetsudo's magical history and find out how to summon magical portals between locations. If anyone in the Luminous Aerie knew of such magic, Tsetsudo would.

Malu saw Valravn make a hand gesture and recognized it as a suggestion for everyone to land. She saw the ends of the Tangled Woods, where Shadow territory melted into Earth land, and nodded, pointing towards the bone-white cliffs. Benioti deftly banked to the left, down towards the sandy area. Eclipse was quick to follow and all the dragons blew up pale dust as they alit upon the shelf.

"Sorry all, I got excited. I don't know if you heard me, but Ben's a daddy," Malu said immediately as she knew everyone could hear her voice. Benioti blushed again beneath his scales as Eclipse gave him a piercing look that slowly turned into a thin-lipped smile.

"Congratulations," he said softly. Benioti noted the lack of enthusiasm in his tone and almost took offense, but then remembered that Eclipse's beloved was currently missing and felt badly for his lair-mate.
detxc0.jpg
"Dagorain's military attachment is in the Capitol right now." Val began, after they'd all landed. They were in the awkward strip of elementless scrubland between the Shadow and Earth territories. "He'll be providing us with some weapons, better armor for you, Malu, I don't trust yours, and more food."

Persephone hummed in surprise, as Merlin forced a smile for his friend's imminent fatherhood.

"Serylda and I had just said our Lifemate's Vows and Hatchling Promises..." he said. The little Fae violently shook the sadness out of his head. "Congratulations, Benioti."

Valravn grabbed the morose Fae from her shoulder, flipped him on his back, and hugged him.

"We're going to get her back, Merlin. On my honor." she said to the now-irritated tiny dragon.

Kharahm had been investigating the surrounding topography while everyone was talking about what would go on next.

She would stomp on the ground in a particular spot, with her head to the ground, then go to another spot and repeat the process.

Kharahm hissed in surprise, dashing up to the rest of the party.

Silvona! The ground! It's hollow! she growled. I hear things moving!

"I knew the tales Mother and Father told me were true! They aren't just bogeymen to scare elflings!" Val said decisively.

She turned to Malu and her dragons.

"We will have to go underground. Eclipse, it'll get cramped for you, but you'll blend in wonderfully. Ben, we'll have to camouflage you somehow." she said.

"It's most likely Drow or Duergar using the goblins as mercenaries." she continued. "Drow are cruel. They're a horrible race, and most unfortunately have the highest demand for slaves. They also pay the most for lovely slaves, human elf, OR dragon." Val said softly.

"This will not be an easy task to get them back."

As Val locked eyes with everyone, she saw everything from burning fury to cold determination in their gazes.

"But we will. Let's keep going." she finished, mounting back upon Persephone's back.

Marya stuck her forepaw as far into Zamoro's cage as she could, trying to hold the much smaller dragon. She wanted to comfort him.

Sakuya growled at Dalecar's approach, before relaxing in the mute, crippled creature's presence.

"I am so sorry they've crippled you. I'll make them pay! They've nearly killed my-- Nearly killed Rhys!" Sakuya snarled, fighting back more tears.

The air was ice cold around her, gradually warming the farther from Sakuyahime one went.

Two other hatchlings, both Ridgebacks and already very large, emerged from the shadows.

"Someone will come soon to heal him. Don't worry." The brighter female said.

"Your boyfriend will be fine for now. Once they start training, then you should worry." the male said. "I'm Volarian, she's Heliessa. We've been here for a long time."

He chuckled wryly.

"No one wants Ridgebacks." he said, grinning.

"Voli! Stop that!" Heliessa said, slapping him with her tail. "They're already scared enough. Take a hint from Dalecar."

Volarian growled, but sat silent.

Rhystalon's breathing was unsteady, and his wings were twitching oddly. He didn't have to endure much of it. Before long, the cell door clanged open, a disheveled human woman wearing not much more than a sack was shoved in with a bag of herb-smelling something, and the door clanged shut again.

"Listen, little ones. Anja is here again. Who needs my help this time?" she asked.

Heliessa pointed her toward both Rhys and Sakuya.

"They're the new arrivals, Ms. Anja." she said. "They tried to fight and got hurt."

"I see. Let me see him first, little one." the human said. She took salves and bandages out of the pack and began her work.

Sakuyahime curled around herself, warily watching the human heal her friend.

When Rhys was staunched and bandaged, she moved to the hook wounds in Sakuya's wings.

"There. You two will be fine. I'll be staying in here with you until you're both healed." Anja said, cleaning herself up from treating them. "Food should be coming in a little bit. It's never very tasty, I'm afraid, but it's something."

The broken Imperial grinned, revealing that one side of her face was torn from lip to jaw.

"I am Lexsssya. And thisss isss the closssessst to Hell you will get on thisss Earth." she said, hissing. Her tongue was injured as well, causing her speech impediment.

"We are in the breeding cavernsss. The two of you and I are to be usssed for making more sssubssservient little whelpsss for thossse Drow to sssell. The Malesss will mate usss on their ordersss, we will never sssee our young. I told you thisss wasss Hell." Lexya hissed.

Serylda was horrified. She had, the night they were abducted, given Merlin her Lifemate's Vows, and her commitment to their future children.

"How can you be so defeated?!" she shrieked. "We will get our freedom back! I swear it!"

Lexya laughed.

"You remember freedom. I do not. I wasss not born here, but I have been here for yearsss. I grew to maturity here. I will never be allowed to leave." Lexya growled snidely.

Serylda's rage grew, but ebbed quickly as exhaustion overwhelmed her.

(I'm thinking they infiltrate by masquerading as a Drow lady, her human servant, and a group of dragons they're taking to auction. What say you? Message me.)
"Dagorain's military attachment is in the Capitol right now." Val began, after they'd all landed. They were in the awkward strip of elementless scrubland between the Shadow and Earth territories. "He'll be providing us with some weapons, better armor for you, Malu, I don't trust yours, and more food."

Persephone hummed in surprise, as Merlin forced a smile for his friend's imminent fatherhood.

"Serylda and I had just said our Lifemate's Vows and Hatchling Promises..." he said. The little Fae violently shook the sadness out of his head. "Congratulations, Benioti."

Valravn grabbed the morose Fae from her shoulder, flipped him on his back, and hugged him.

"We're going to get her back, Merlin. On my honor." she said to the now-irritated tiny dragon.

Kharahm had been investigating the surrounding topography while everyone was talking about what would go on next.

She would stomp on the ground in a particular spot, with her head to the ground, then go to another spot and repeat the process.

Kharahm hissed in surprise, dashing up to the rest of the party.

Silvona! The ground! It's hollow! she growled. I hear things moving!

"I knew the tales Mother and Father told me were true! They aren't just bogeymen to scare elflings!" Val said decisively.

She turned to Malu and her dragons.

"We will have to go underground. Eclipse, it'll get cramped for you, but you'll blend in wonderfully. Ben, we'll have to camouflage you somehow." she said.

"It's most likely Drow or Duergar using the goblins as mercenaries." she continued. "Drow are cruel. They're a horrible race, and most unfortunately have the highest demand for slaves. They also pay the most for lovely slaves, human elf, OR dragon." Val said softly.

"This will not be an easy task to get them back."

As Val locked eyes with everyone, she saw everything from burning fury to cold determination in their gazes.

"But we will. Let's keep going." she finished, mounting back upon Persephone's back.

Marya stuck her forepaw as far into Zamoro's cage as she could, trying to hold the much smaller dragon. She wanted to comfort him.

Sakuya growled at Dalecar's approach, before relaxing in the mute, crippled creature's presence.

"I am so sorry they've crippled you. I'll make them pay! They've nearly killed my-- Nearly killed Rhys!" Sakuya snarled, fighting back more tears.

The air was ice cold around her, gradually warming the farther from Sakuyahime one went.

Two other hatchlings, both Ridgebacks and already very large, emerged from the shadows.

"Someone will come soon to heal him. Don't worry." The brighter female said.

"Your boyfriend will be fine for now. Once they start training, then you should worry." the male said. "I'm Volarian, she's Heliessa. We've been here for a long time."

He chuckled wryly.

"No one wants Ridgebacks." he said, grinning.

"Voli! Stop that!" Heliessa said, slapping him with her tail. "They're already scared enough. Take a hint from Dalecar."

Volarian growled, but sat silent.

Rhystalon's breathing was unsteady, and his wings were twitching oddly. He didn't have to endure much of it. Before long, the cell door clanged open, a disheveled human woman wearing not much more than a sack was shoved in with a bag of herb-smelling something, and the door clanged shut again.

"Listen, little ones. Anja is here again. Who needs my help this time?" she asked.

Heliessa pointed her toward both Rhys and Sakuya.

"They're the new arrivals, Ms. Anja." she said. "They tried to fight and got hurt."

"I see. Let me see him first, little one." the human said. She took salves and bandages out of the pack and began her work.

Sakuyahime curled around herself, warily watching the human heal her friend.

When Rhys was staunched and bandaged, she moved to the hook wounds in Sakuya's wings.

"There. You two will be fine. I'll be staying in here with you until you're both healed." Anja said, cleaning herself up from treating them. "Food should be coming in a little bit. It's never very tasty, I'm afraid, but it's something."

The broken Imperial grinned, revealing that one side of her face was torn from lip to jaw.

"I am Lexsssya. And thisss isss the closssessst to Hell you will get on thisss Earth." she said, hissing. Her tongue was injured as well, causing her speech impediment.

"We are in the breeding cavernsss. The two of you and I are to be usssed for making more sssubssservient little whelpsss for thossse Drow to sssell. The Malesss will mate usss on their ordersss, we will never sssee our young. I told you thisss wasss Hell." Lexya hissed.

Serylda was horrified. She had, the night they were abducted, given Merlin her Lifemate's Vows, and her commitment to their future children.

"How can you be so defeated?!" she shrieked. "We will get our freedom back! I swear it!"

Lexya laughed.

"You remember freedom. I do not. I wasss not born here, but I have been here for yearsss. I grew to maturity here. I will never be allowed to leave." Lexya growled snidely.

Serylda's rage grew, but ebbed quickly as exhaustion overwhelmed her.

(I'm thinking they infiltrate by masquerading as a Drow lady, her human servant, and a group of dragons they're taking to auction. What say you? Message me.)
Benioti looked at Malu out of the corner of his eye as Val explained how her significant other was gladly able to aid them in their search for the abducted fledglings. He wasn't sure now about how his good news had been received; maybe it had been selfish of him to share with Malu, who had only meant well herself. She seemed to be pondering the same thing with a limp look to her shoulders and a somewhat concerned quirk to one side of her mouth.

"At least Val was able to cheer up Merlin," he whispered to her. Malu glanced over at him, her hazel eyes gaining a bit of twinkle.

"You psychic creeper," she whispered back, still amazed at his perceptiveness.

Kharam's announcement of the hollowness beneath their feet had Malu lifting up a foot and staring down with horrified fascination at the dusty ground below. Eclipse seemed unfazed by the concept of going underground. The idea that a Drow Elf had a hand on his Palatina? That did ignite an eerie light within the depths of his eyes.

"Of course they would hire goblins. The cursed beings wouldn't dirty their hands stealing from us. They'd want us to track the goblins and kill them instead of the Drow. Clever filth..." he snarled, his wings held flat against his back as his neck arced back in anger. Malu was still battling with the shock of hearing that the Drow kept human slaves as well. Eclipse saw her shrink into herself and stepped over, brushing her arm with a controlled flick of his wing. "They won't lay a filthy finger on you, Malu. They won't fool us again and yes, Val, like you said - it will be hard, but we will get everyone home again." He gave the Elf a respectful nod.

"Exactly," Benioti echoed, stepping up beside her and offering his shoulders once again. The strawberry-blonde human carefully settled into place again and shifted with the Skydancer as he readied himself for flight. "Not much farther to the Capitol City," he added with a genuine lilt of pleasure in his voice. Malu figured it was either due to him being able to see his Lifemate again or that this journey would finally be over. Turning away from Val and her dragons, Benioti chose to do his graceful fall from the sea-cliff and do a slow circle back around to gain altitude. Eclipse, since he had no passenger, took a more direct approach in his rolling lope across the open space and powerful flaps that sent up clouds of dry dust as he gained altitude. The dark-tiger Imperial was glad to be flying again. The faster he flapped, the faster they made it to the City.

Zamoro was relieved to small tears that snaked down his cheeks when Marya reached into the cage. It wasn't far, but far enough for him to wrap his tiny arms about her wrist and hug her paw close to his body. He held her paw close, shivering and doing his best to remain brave. All he wanted was back to his parents!

Dalecar smiled wryly at Sakuya's vehement statement of revenge against the goblins who had caused his muteness. An adult dragon would have called his cynicism heartbreaking, but he - and the Ridgebacks - had a good idea of what trials these new fledglings would face. He was glad that Volarian and Heliessa had introduced themselves. There was strength in numbers when the Breakers came. Thankfully, the Healer Anja appeared first. Dalecar gladly shuffled back to give her room. The pool of blood was not only uncomfortable to smell, but attracted pests. Well...there was nothing wrong with rats, he supposed. More of a mouthful than what came to them for "breakfast" and "dinner" some days. He padded over beside Sakuya as Anja worked on bandaging the injured Rhystalon up.

~ Anja is nice human. Always heal us. Heal our stupid. Voli and Heli nice too. They share food, fight goblins sometimes. Goblins make bad move in Voli and Heli grow. Grow too big, you get? ~

He gestured towards the near-fully-matured Ridgebacks and their wicked slicing spines and thumb-talons.

~ Voli and Heli protect us. Not always though. Elves... ~ His little talons suddenly trembled and he frowned, stilling his writing paw so his runes didn't devolve into scribbling. ~ They meaner than goblins. You saw. They boss. They baddest problem. ~ Dalecar edged away again to let Anja begin working on Sakuya's wings. He was pleased to see how delicately the Healer worked the wicked barbs from the thin skin of the wing membrane. At a certain point, he did an arcing leap - reminiscent to a rabbit - and landed silently next to the Healer. He pushed on her hip with a gentle open palm to get her attention before scratching out runes as fast as he could.

~ Anja. Other dragon with wing-hooks, big dragon. You heal? ~

Palatina couldn't help the horrified gape as she took in the other Imperial's injuries. What had caused those?!
Her soul quailed more still as she heard the plausible future for them all: a breeding program. Serylda beat her to the vocal outburst and she nodded violently, getting into a standing position to begin searching for escape.

"Serylda is right, Lexya. We will get our freedom and you will come along. No dragon will EVER be held here again once we're done with those Elves!" Her voice echoed strongly, sounding braver than she felt. "There must be some sort of weakness to this cage..." she whispered to herself, wincing with every tentative step as her wing membranes arced with piercing pain. Her Fiery-hued eyes looked for any bent, any flaw, any past attempt to escape this cage.

She was unable to find one...yet.
Benioti looked at Malu out of the corner of his eye as Val explained how her significant other was gladly able to aid them in their search for the abducted fledglings. He wasn't sure now about how his good news had been received; maybe it had been selfish of him to share with Malu, who had only meant well herself. She seemed to be pondering the same thing with a limp look to her shoulders and a somewhat concerned quirk to one side of her mouth.

"At least Val was able to cheer up Merlin," he whispered to her. Malu glanced over at him, her hazel eyes gaining a bit of twinkle.

"You psychic creeper," she whispered back, still amazed at his perceptiveness.

Kharam's announcement of the hollowness beneath their feet had Malu lifting up a foot and staring down with horrified fascination at the dusty ground below. Eclipse seemed unfazed by the concept of going underground. The idea that a Drow Elf had a hand on his Palatina? That did ignite an eerie light within the depths of his eyes.

"Of course they would hire goblins. The cursed beings wouldn't dirty their hands stealing from us. They'd want us to track the goblins and kill them instead of the Drow. Clever filth..." he snarled, his wings held flat against his back as his neck arced back in anger. Malu was still battling with the shock of hearing that the Drow kept human slaves as well. Eclipse saw her shrink into herself and stepped over, brushing her arm with a controlled flick of his wing. "They won't lay a filthy finger on you, Malu. They won't fool us again and yes, Val, like you said - it will be hard, but we will get everyone home again." He gave the Elf a respectful nod.

"Exactly," Benioti echoed, stepping up beside her and offering his shoulders once again. The strawberry-blonde human carefully settled into place again and shifted with the Skydancer as he readied himself for flight. "Not much farther to the Capitol City," he added with a genuine lilt of pleasure in his voice. Malu figured it was either due to him being able to see his Lifemate again or that this journey would finally be over. Turning away from Val and her dragons, Benioti chose to do his graceful fall from the sea-cliff and do a slow circle back around to gain altitude. Eclipse, since he had no passenger, took a more direct approach in his rolling lope across the open space and powerful flaps that sent up clouds of dry dust as he gained altitude. The dark-tiger Imperial was glad to be flying again. The faster he flapped, the faster they made it to the City.

Zamoro was relieved to small tears that snaked down his cheeks when Marya reached into the cage. It wasn't far, but far enough for him to wrap his tiny arms about her wrist and hug her paw close to his body. He held her paw close, shivering and doing his best to remain brave. All he wanted was back to his parents!

Dalecar smiled wryly at Sakuya's vehement statement of revenge against the goblins who had caused his muteness. An adult dragon would have called his cynicism heartbreaking, but he - and the Ridgebacks - had a good idea of what trials these new fledglings would face. He was glad that Volarian and Heliessa had introduced themselves. There was strength in numbers when the Breakers came. Thankfully, the Healer Anja appeared first. Dalecar gladly shuffled back to give her room. The pool of blood was not only uncomfortable to smell, but attracted pests. Well...there was nothing wrong with rats, he supposed. More of a mouthful than what came to them for "breakfast" and "dinner" some days. He padded over beside Sakuya as Anja worked on bandaging the injured Rhystalon up.

~ Anja is nice human. Always heal us. Heal our stupid. Voli and Heli nice too. They share food, fight goblins sometimes. Goblins make bad move in Voli and Heli grow. Grow too big, you get? ~

He gestured towards the near-fully-matured Ridgebacks and their wicked slicing spines and thumb-talons.

~ Voli and Heli protect us. Not always though. Elves... ~ His little talons suddenly trembled and he frowned, stilling his writing paw so his runes didn't devolve into scribbling. ~ They meaner than goblins. You saw. They boss. They baddest problem. ~ Dalecar edged away again to let Anja begin working on Sakuya's wings. He was pleased to see how delicately the Healer worked the wicked barbs from the thin skin of the wing membrane. At a certain point, he did an arcing leap - reminiscent to a rabbit - and landed silently next to the Healer. He pushed on her hip with a gentle open palm to get her attention before scratching out runes as fast as he could.

~ Anja. Other dragon with wing-hooks, big dragon. You heal? ~

Palatina couldn't help the horrified gape as she took in the other Imperial's injuries. What had caused those?!
Her soul quailed more still as she heard the plausible future for them all: a breeding program. Serylda beat her to the vocal outburst and she nodded violently, getting into a standing position to begin searching for escape.

"Serylda is right, Lexya. We will get our freedom and you will come along. No dragon will EVER be held here again once we're done with those Elves!" Her voice echoed strongly, sounding braver than she felt. "There must be some sort of weakness to this cage..." she whispered to herself, wincing with every tentative step as her wing membranes arced with piercing pain. Her Fiery-hued eyes looked for any bent, any flaw, any past attempt to escape this cage.

She was unable to find one...yet.
detxc0.jpg
"Let's get back to it. I have to meet Dag at the north watchtower to collect our gear. I also have a plan that I'd like to talk to you all about when we get there. It's peculiar, to say the least." Val said.

She mounted up on Persephone's back once more, pulled a small pair of windbreaking goggles down over her eyes, and they were off.

As Kharahm flew, she retreated into her thoughts.

Remember what Mother taught you. Underground tracking is completely different from aboveground tracking. Scents linger longer, but sounds are distorted. There won't be much room to move, but I'm thin and fast. she thought.

Her wingbeats carried her on, determination driving her.

"Volarian. Heliessa. It's nice to meet you, considering the situation we're all in." Sakuyahime said, before turning to Anja and thanking her for her quick medical work. "When will Rhys wake up?"

"I'm not sure, baby. He's probably going to be asleep for a good long time. He took one hard knock to the head for you, you know." the human replied, before reading Dalecar's scribblings.

"I'm not sure if Master Zekagh wants me to take care of her. If I remember, he said he was going to treat her himself." Anja said.

Volarian and Heliessa exchanged a pair of worried glances.

"He's a good healer..." Heli began.

"...But he's brutal with everything else." Voli finished.

Marya softly asked, "Where did they take Miss Serylda and Lady Palatina?"

Anja sighed, petting Marya's fluffy head. "They were taken to the breeding caves." she replied.

"What's a breeding cave?" Marya asked back.

"They're going to...make more...baby dragons...for Master Zekagh." Anja said, choosing her words carefully.

"But Mister Merlin and Ser Eclipse aren't here. Miss Serylda and Lady Palatina can't have babies if their mates aren't here." Marya explained.

Preserving the young Tundra's naivete, Anja held her tongue. "You're right. They certainly can't have any babies without their mates."

Volarian shot the healer a sharp look, but never had the chance to say anything before Heliessa jabbed him hard in the foot with her own spike.

Heliessa knew that she and Volarian were destined for breeding stock after their multiple failed auctions. She knew her "fate", and didn't want to explain what actually happened in the breeding caverns. She would get lucky in that her Volarian was the only other Ridgeback Zekagh owned. The others? Not so much.

Rhystalon moved a bit in his sleep, his bandaged head now resting on Sakuyahime's pink, shimmering flank.

"Miss Anja! He's moving!" she hissed.

"He will. I don't know how soon he'll wake, so keep an eye on him for me, will you, Sakuyahime?" Anja replied.

"I will!" the young Imperial replied earnestly.

Anja sat down and got comfortable, before beginning to tell a story for the fledglings.

Serylda hunkered down, wrapping her wings about herself like a human would a cloak.

I wish I weren't so puny! As it stands, all I can do is a little bit of magic here and there. I'm nearly useless! she thought to herself. She shook her head, violently dislodging the thoughts from her head. Merlin would have smacked me by now for thinking like that! Magic is useful! And I can do it!

She glared at the bowl of maggots. The accursed things were wriggling back and forth in the bowl, making her nauseous just to watch.

Before she could dwell on them, the far corridor door clanged open as Zekagh, the Drow slavemaster, strode in.

"Lexya, my dear. You're looking well today." he said, grinning at the black tiger-striped Imperial. "I just recently spoke to the one who bought your last clutch. They're all doing well, and well trained."

He turned to his newest arrivals.

"The Witch and the Firebreather. That's what the goblins have called you, you know. You two put on quite the show, and I have half a mind to leave you with those hooks for a while longer, Imperial. But the sooner you heal, the sooner I can introduce you to Kristav. Or Meldarion. You'll get to know the two of them very well." he said, chuckling darkly.

Serylda watched Palatina's face twist, but she also saw Lexya's eyes widen in grief at the mention of this Meldarion. Serylda made a note to ask after the Drow left. He was so peculiar! So different from their Sylvan Elf, Valravn. So cruel.

Zekagh made to unlock Palatina's cage door, but hesitated.

"If you hold still and behave, I am a phenomenal healer, and your wings will fully recover with no scarring. If you kill me, the hooks will never leave you, your wings may well grow around them, and you will never fly again. Do you understand, my Dear?" Zekagh half-asked, half-threatened.

He awaited Palatina's reply before going into what could possibly be his death.
"Let's get back to it. I have to meet Dag at the north watchtower to collect our gear. I also have a plan that I'd like to talk to you all about when we get there. It's peculiar, to say the least." Val said.

She mounted up on Persephone's back once more, pulled a small pair of windbreaking goggles down over her eyes, and they were off.

As Kharahm flew, she retreated into her thoughts.

Remember what Mother taught you. Underground tracking is completely different from aboveground tracking. Scents linger longer, but sounds are distorted. There won't be much room to move, but I'm thin and fast. she thought.

Her wingbeats carried her on, determination driving her.

"Volarian. Heliessa. It's nice to meet you, considering the situation we're all in." Sakuyahime said, before turning to Anja and thanking her for her quick medical work. "When will Rhys wake up?"

"I'm not sure, baby. He's probably going to be asleep for a good long time. He took one hard knock to the head for you, you know." the human replied, before reading Dalecar's scribblings.

"I'm not sure if Master Zekagh wants me to take care of her. If I remember, he said he was going to treat her himself." Anja said.

Volarian and Heliessa exchanged a pair of worried glances.

"He's a good healer..." Heli began.

"...But he's brutal with everything else." Voli finished.

Marya softly asked, "Where did they take Miss Serylda and Lady Palatina?"

Anja sighed, petting Marya's fluffy head. "They were taken to the breeding caves." she replied.

"What's a breeding cave?" Marya asked back.

"They're going to...make more...baby dragons...for Master Zekagh." Anja said, choosing her words carefully.

"But Mister Merlin and Ser Eclipse aren't here. Miss Serylda and Lady Palatina can't have babies if their mates aren't here." Marya explained.

Preserving the young Tundra's naivete, Anja held her tongue. "You're right. They certainly can't have any babies without their mates."

Volarian shot the healer a sharp look, but never had the chance to say anything before Heliessa jabbed him hard in the foot with her own spike.

Heliessa knew that she and Volarian were destined for breeding stock after their multiple failed auctions. She knew her "fate", and didn't want to explain what actually happened in the breeding caverns. She would get lucky in that her Volarian was the only other Ridgeback Zekagh owned. The others? Not so much.

Rhystalon moved a bit in his sleep, his bandaged head now resting on Sakuyahime's pink, shimmering flank.

"Miss Anja! He's moving!" she hissed.

"He will. I don't know how soon he'll wake, so keep an eye on him for me, will you, Sakuyahime?" Anja replied.

"I will!" the young Imperial replied earnestly.

Anja sat down and got comfortable, before beginning to tell a story for the fledglings.

Serylda hunkered down, wrapping her wings about herself like a human would a cloak.

I wish I weren't so puny! As it stands, all I can do is a little bit of magic here and there. I'm nearly useless! she thought to herself. She shook her head, violently dislodging the thoughts from her head. Merlin would have smacked me by now for thinking like that! Magic is useful! And I can do it!

She glared at the bowl of maggots. The accursed things were wriggling back and forth in the bowl, making her nauseous just to watch.

Before she could dwell on them, the far corridor door clanged open as Zekagh, the Drow slavemaster, strode in.

"Lexya, my dear. You're looking well today." he said, grinning at the black tiger-striped Imperial. "I just recently spoke to the one who bought your last clutch. They're all doing well, and well trained."

He turned to his newest arrivals.

"The Witch and the Firebreather. That's what the goblins have called you, you know. You two put on quite the show, and I have half a mind to leave you with those hooks for a while longer, Imperial. But the sooner you heal, the sooner I can introduce you to Kristav. Or Meldarion. You'll get to know the two of them very well." he said, chuckling darkly.

Serylda watched Palatina's face twist, but she also saw Lexya's eyes widen in grief at the mention of this Meldarion. Serylda made a note to ask after the Drow left. He was so peculiar! So different from their Sylvan Elf, Valravn. So cruel.

Zekagh made to unlock Palatina's cage door, but hesitated.

"If you hold still and behave, I am a phenomenal healer, and your wings will fully recover with no scarring. If you kill me, the hooks will never leave you, your wings may well grow around them, and you will never fly again. Do you understand, my Dear?" Zekagh half-asked, half-threatened.

He awaited Palatina's reply before going into what could possibly be his death.
Mal was always somewhat impressed by how barren the landscape was beneath Benioti's lazily-beating wings. There were some dotted areas of shrubs, all barely greener than brown, but that was the only sign of life on the edges of the Earthshaker's realm. She knew that she'd begin to see the random burrows of other dragons brave enough to dig into the tough earth, but that would be some time still.

"Benioti! Follow Persephone and Val! I don't know if I know where the north watchtower is!" she called out over the roar of the dry wind. Benioti glanced back at her and nodded. He moved back in the position of the V, letting Persephone take the lead. Eclipse noticed their shift and banked up closer to Benioti. "We're following Persephone!" The darkly-striped dragon appeared to be able to hear her and nodded in affirmation. "I wonder what Val's plan is...?" These words were more mouthed to herself. No dragon would hear her whispering. She hoped it was a logical and well-thought-out plan.

Dalecar nodded in mute thoughtfulness at Anja's reply to his question. His eyes flickered over to Heliessa and Volarian and when they took the words from his mouth, a stuttering coughing sound issued from his parted lips. He laughed at the irony of not having spoken words, but also in an attempt to soothe himself. Just as many of his own kind, he tended to automatically care for other dragons of his own species. The adult female Imperial's wings had the most vibrant eye-spots and he'd never seen that shade of violet before. It seemed a crime against nature itself that she could possibly be left permanently scarred, even possibly unable to fly.

Marya's line of questioning quickly had Dalecar loping away to stand beside Heliessa and Volarian. He ignored any questioning look and averted his gaze to the ground. His skinny ears were pressed to his skull and he wished to high heaven that Anja wouldn't --- oh good, she deftly avoided answering truthfully.

He was a bred baby. An egg created not out of love, but for pure profit. It shamed him to the deepest level. He had never known his true mother, but the screams that had echoed up from the depths of the caverns had wakened him at night and caused him to curl into a tiny, shivering ball.

Even he couldn't contain his interest in Rhys's change in condition. Quickly, he scrabbled out on the ground for Heliessa and Volarian:

~ Good job Anja. Fledgie live. I thought he dead for sure. Axe to head not good. ~

When Anja sat down and appeared to be gearing up to entertain the fledglings, he deftly leapt by over (like a rabbit), and gave her a toothy smile.

~ Anja tell story! Good! ~ he scratched out. ~ Tell story about outside, about Gladekeeper. ~

Dalecar adored hearing about everything green and the dragon deity who guarded the beautiful plants. It was a mental escape from the depressing monotone of the caves.

Palatina had been sniffing about the base of each bar, searching for a scent that was even a bit different from the others; maybe an extra touch of burnt metal from a recent welding that was shoddily done - or perhaps one bar made of an entirely different metal, which could exploited for structural weakness. She tried extremely hard to move her head and neck and keep her shoulders still. Each twinge of pain was enough to completely throw off her planning. Her nose wrinkled at the sound of approaching footsteps and she arched back her head like a cornered cobra when the far door opened with enough speed to bang loudly against the rock. She winced as the sharp sound hurt her ears and squinted her Fire-bright eyes. This Dark Elf...she was disgusted by him. His back-handed compliments tasted no better sugared with his choice of words. She wanted no introducing to ANY of the other males within these caverns. Glancing over at Serylda, she saw the little Fae watching the scarred Lexya closely. Clearly, the observant little creature had seen something she had not.

She was quickly diverted to Zekagh's approach to the door of her cage. His terms made her want to use the last of her Breath to incinerate the despicable creature who was the only key to not only her health, but to her ultimate release from this place - it was a sobering thought, but likely true.

"...fine, Elf. Use your powers...and then get out of my sight," the Imperial spat venomously. Suddenly, her insides twinged and she let out a snort of surprise. Looking back at her body, she saw her sides move gently, as if a foreign object was traveling within it. The revelation shook her to her core.

She was gravid.

Mal was always somewhat impressed by how barren the landscape was beneath Benioti's lazily-beating wings. There were some dotted areas of shrubs, all barely greener than brown, but that was the only sign of life on the edges of the Earthshaker's realm. She knew that she'd begin to see the random burrows of other dragons brave enough to dig into the tough earth, but that would be some time still.

"Benioti! Follow Persephone and Val! I don't know if I know where the north watchtower is!" she called out over the roar of the dry wind. Benioti glanced back at her and nodded. He moved back in the position of the V, letting Persephone take the lead. Eclipse noticed their shift and banked up closer to Benioti. "We're following Persephone!" The darkly-striped dragon appeared to be able to hear her and nodded in affirmation. "I wonder what Val's plan is...?" These words were more mouthed to herself. No dragon would hear her whispering. She hoped it was a logical and well-thought-out plan.

Dalecar nodded in mute thoughtfulness at Anja's reply to his question. His eyes flickered over to Heliessa and Volarian and when they took the words from his mouth, a stuttering coughing sound issued from his parted lips. He laughed at the irony of not having spoken words, but also in an attempt to soothe himself. Just as many of his own kind, he tended to automatically care for other dragons of his own species. The adult female Imperial's wings had the most vibrant eye-spots and he'd never seen that shade of violet before. It seemed a crime against nature itself that she could possibly be left permanently scarred, even possibly unable to fly.

Marya's line of questioning quickly had Dalecar loping away to stand beside Heliessa and Volarian. He ignored any questioning look and averted his gaze to the ground. His skinny ears were pressed to his skull and he wished to high heaven that Anja wouldn't --- oh good, she deftly avoided answering truthfully.

He was a bred baby. An egg created not out of love, but for pure profit. It shamed him to the deepest level. He had never known his true mother, but the screams that had echoed up from the depths of the caverns had wakened him at night and caused him to curl into a tiny, shivering ball.

Even he couldn't contain his interest in Rhys's change in condition. Quickly, he scrabbled out on the ground for Heliessa and Volarian:

~ Good job Anja. Fledgie live. I thought he dead for sure. Axe to head not good. ~

When Anja sat down and appeared to be gearing up to entertain the fledglings, he deftly leapt by over (like a rabbit), and gave her a toothy smile.

~ Anja tell story! Good! ~ he scratched out. ~ Tell story about outside, about Gladekeeper. ~

Dalecar adored hearing about everything green and the dragon deity who guarded the beautiful plants. It was a mental escape from the depressing monotone of the caves.

Palatina had been sniffing about the base of each bar, searching for a scent that was even a bit different from the others; maybe an extra touch of burnt metal from a recent welding that was shoddily done - or perhaps one bar made of an entirely different metal, which could exploited for structural weakness. She tried extremely hard to move her head and neck and keep her shoulders still. Each twinge of pain was enough to completely throw off her planning. Her nose wrinkled at the sound of approaching footsteps and she arched back her head like a cornered cobra when the far door opened with enough speed to bang loudly against the rock. She winced as the sharp sound hurt her ears and squinted her Fire-bright eyes. This Dark Elf...she was disgusted by him. His back-handed compliments tasted no better sugared with his choice of words. She wanted no introducing to ANY of the other males within these caverns. Glancing over at Serylda, she saw the little Fae watching the scarred Lexya closely. Clearly, the observant little creature had seen something she had not.

She was quickly diverted to Zekagh's approach to the door of her cage. His terms made her want to use the last of her Breath to incinerate the despicable creature who was the only key to not only her health, but to her ultimate release from this place - it was a sobering thought, but likely true.

"...fine, Elf. Use your powers...and then get out of my sight," the Imperial spat venomously. Suddenly, her insides twinged and she let out a snort of surprise. Looking back at her body, she saw her sides move gently, as if a foreign object was traveling within it. The revelation shook her to her core.

She was gravid.

detxc0.jpg
Zekagh's red eyes missed little. The faint twinge and ripple in Palatina's lower abdomen.

He did, as per his word, work the hooks free gently, and stitched the wounds together quickly and near-painlessly. He smeared a sweet-smelling salve over the raw wounds after wiping away all the blood, and then carefully bandaged the wounds.

Before he left, Zekagh laid a hand quickly on Palatina's flank.

He said nothing about it, but quickly left, making a mental note to give her the best of high-calcium foods for a soon-to-clutch mother.

After he'd finished tending to Palatina's wounds, he made a casual stop by Serylda's tiny cage.

"And how are you doing?" he asked.

Serylda said nothing, lying in a heap of exhausted tiny dragon.

"You should eat something. It would be a shame were you to get sick. I'd have to put off your appointment with the male I've chosen for you." Zekagh said, lightly rapping the cage. "I do hope you feel better soon, my dear."

He turned on his heel and left the females alone at last.

Serylda threw off her exhausted act, for it had been, and looked immediately to Lexya.

"Lexya! Please tell me about those males he mentioned. Kristav and, who was it now, Meldarion?" she chirruped.

Lexya's eyes went wide with shock.

"Meldarion! Why are you asssking about him?!" she hissed. "He isss of no importanssse."

Lexya got huffy, before rethinking her words.

"Well. A little importanssse. I...He isss the only one who givesss me any form of hope thessse daysss." Lexya said, hanging her head.

"You love him." Serylda observed.

Lexya's head shot back up.

"I dare not call it that. Not here. Were we free, I would. He feelsss the sssame. He conssstantly talksss about how he will break usss free, find our children, and take them with usss. That we will be a family." Lexya said, sadly. "It isss a foolisssh dream of hisss."

Serylda replied, "We have people looking for us, Palatina, me and the hatchlings that were taken with us. I know it. They're good people, and will free not just us, but everyone here. That dream, your dream, isn't as foolish as you think, Lexya."

Serylda yawned. Before she would sleep, however, she had a plan. She moved to the tiny barred window between her and Palatina's cages.

The Fae beckoned the Imperial to her.

"Palatina, I have an idea. They don't know I'm allergic to maggots, and it's all they've given me to eat, so in a little while, I'm going to eat one. I'm going to make myself sick, so they'll have to postpone their little program for me. I need you to keep an eye on me and make sure I keep breathing. This is a really dangerous thing I'm about to do." she explained.

Rhystalon's head was swimming through strange images as he dreamed and faded in and out of dreaming and wakefulness. His head throbbed, and it felt unbalanced on one side. He felt his head rising and falling with someone else's breathing, and it took him a long time to realize that it was Sakuyahime's flank on which his head rested.

As he began to hear again, he heard the voice of a woman speaking about the Gladeveins, his home.

He could hear Marya interjecting every now and again, excitedly affirming what the woman was saying. At least she was in higher spirits than when he'd last seen her.

His eye lazily slipped open, rolling around to take in his surroundings. They were very pink, he realized, since Sakuyahime's wing was covering his face.

Muffled from underneath it, he said, "Sakuya! Miss Sakuya! Please take your wing off my face!"

The garbled mess that emanated from underneath her wing caused Sakuya to raise it and look directly into Rhys's good eye.

"Rhystalon! You're awake!" she exclaimed happily. "Look, Dalecar! He's awake! Volarian, Heliessa! Come meet Rhys! Marya, you bring Zamoro over here, too! Miss Anja! He's awake!"

"Easy, Miss Sakuya. I'd have slept a while longer, had I known you'd be so excited." he joked, earning him a light slap in the rump from her snakelike tail.

"You could have died, you idiot! To save me! Forgive me for being excited that my hero isn't dead!" she griped good-naturedly back.

"Let me see him again, dear." Anja said. "I need to ask him a few questions."

"Hello, Ma'am." Rhys said, bowing his head as much as he was able. "I'm Rhystalon, son of Valdiis and Drakiel of Clan Animar."

"It's nice to finally meet you, dear. Now tell me, can you feel all of your limbs?" Anja asked.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Does anything other than your head hurt?"

"No, Ma'am."

"That's good. That means that all that has to happen is the skin has to heal over on your head and you'll be perfectly fine. I'm afraid that your horn and head crest won't grow back, though." Anja informed him, knowing that many male Guardians were very, very particular about their horns and fincrests.

"Doesn't matter to me, as long as Sakuya wasn't hurt." Rhys replied. He turned to the Ice Princess. "You are alright, aren't you, Miss?"

"I got some hooks put into my wings, but Miss Anja here fixed it and I'll be okay. It was nowhere near as bad as your injury!" Sakuya said, gently rubbing her muzzle on his.

Sakuya introduced the rest of the fledglings to Rhys.

"This is Dalecar, he can't talk because the goblins hurt his throat, Volarian, he's nice, but sometimes he says things that make Heliessa, that's her, step on his feet or spike him. Heliessa's very kind." Sakuya explained. "Miss Anja was just telling us a story about the Viridian Labyrinth! It sounds so beautiful! I can't believe that you and Marya are really from such a place!"

Val and Persephone took lead of the formation, steering the group toward a large terrace lorded over by an immense tower. Arrow slits looked out in every direction, keeping silent watch over the city and the wastes beyond.

A lone, armor-clad human stood in the shadow of the tower, a large pack at his side.

He hailed the dragons and the two riders down to the terrace, which was spacious enough for all of them to rest comfortably.

Valravn dismounted, and gestured that Malu do the same.

The man in armor approached the two women. His armor gleamed silver in the setting sun's light, a mid-length red cape attached to the shoulders. A longsword hung at his left hip, a simple scabbard holding the blade.

He bowed low to the two, a bow that Silvona returned, lower. Her long, black braid fell over her shoulder, and as she stood, she flipped it back to its normal place along her spine.

As she rose, her yellow eyes met his green ones. The man had shaggy black hair, tousled and unkempt from having worn a helmet all day, for formality's sake, and a few days worth of beard growth made his jawline stand out black from his neck. His well-groomed moustache drew her attention to his wide, charismatic grin, a face she was very familiar with.

"Malu of the Luminous Aerie, this is Rhys Dagorain. He hails from the Ashfall Wastes, but is stationed in Dragonhome for the time being. Dag, this is Malu, my closest human friend and companion in our quest to reunite our families." Silvona said in introduction.

"My pleasure to meet you, Miss Malu. More my pleasure to help you in your journey. I wish I could go with you, but I believe the two of you are more than capable without me. I have faith." he replied.

"The dragons who have volunteered to go with us are Kharahm, Merlin and Persephone, from my Clan, and Eclipse and Benioti from the Aerie." Val said, introducing the dragons.

Dagorain bowed to each Dragon in turn.

"As time is of the essence, A'maelamin, I won't ask you and your companions to dinner with me, but I need to give you the supplies you requested of me." he said to Val.

He opened the sack and pulled a hide-wrapped bundle from it; Val's new bow. It was exquisitely made, and of Elvish make. Odd, but she'd ask later where he got it from.

He presented Malu with a fine set of leather armor, padded with what appeared to be Mithril plates. It would fit her perfectly, and thus protect her very well. Val was very pleased with it.

Both women were given a fine shortsword. The gifts had to have been expensive, even with the Captain's pay Dagorain received, but there was really no time to ask about it. They had to rendezvous with Canari soon.

"The last part." Dagorain quipped, handing Val a sack that clinked with bottles. "And I think I know what you're up to, and I don't like it. But I can't stop you. So all I can say is to be careful, my love."

As she took the sack, Dag pulled her into a tight hug, which the elf returned.

"I have to go, Dagorain. Time runs short." Valravn said, regretting not being able to spend any time with him this time.

"One last thing." Dag said. "Don't worry about paying me back for this, like I know you'll try to do. I didn't actually buy any of this. When the platoon found out what happened, and why I was collecting supplied, they all donated what they could. Nissa told me to tell you to take good care of that bow. And that it will never miss, if you trust in it."

Val was left agape as Persephone began to nudge the surprised elf toward where they would find Canari.

Bidding Dag a last farewell, she and the party began the walk to Canari's hideaway.

"I'll tell you about this plan I have when we meet up with Canari. I want her opinion on it, too. It's a bit more subtle than 'kick-in-the-door, get-the-kids-and-the-girls-back'." Val said. She looked apprehensively into the sack again, not sure if she wanted to do what she had to do for her plan, but she knew she could pull it off.

Hair dye and skin paint were just such a pain in the ***, though!
Zekagh's red eyes missed little. The faint twinge and ripple in Palatina's lower abdomen.

He did, as per his word, work the hooks free gently, and stitched the wounds together quickly and near-painlessly. He smeared a sweet-smelling salve over the raw wounds after wiping away all the blood, and then carefully bandaged the wounds.

Before he left, Zekagh laid a hand quickly on Palatina's flank.

He said nothing about it, but quickly left, making a mental note to give her the best of high-calcium foods for a soon-to-clutch mother.

After he'd finished tending to Palatina's wounds, he made a casual stop by Serylda's tiny cage.

"And how are you doing?" he asked.

Serylda said nothing, lying in a heap of exhausted tiny dragon.

"You should eat something. It would be a shame were you to get sick. I'd have to put off your appointment with the male I've chosen for you." Zekagh said, lightly rapping the cage. "I do hope you feel better soon, my dear."

He turned on his heel and left the females alone at last.

Serylda threw off her exhausted act, for it had been, and looked immediately to Lexya.

"Lexya! Please tell me about those males he mentioned. Kristav and, who was it now, Meldarion?" she chirruped.

Lexya's eyes went wide with shock.

"Meldarion! Why are you asssking about him?!" she hissed. "He isss of no importanssse."

Lexya got huffy, before rethinking her words.

"Well. A little importanssse. I...He isss the only one who givesss me any form of hope thessse daysss." Lexya said, hanging her head.

"You love him." Serylda observed.

Lexya's head shot back up.

"I dare not call it that. Not here. Were we free, I would. He feelsss the sssame. He conssstantly talksss about how he will break usss free, find our children, and take them with usss. That we will be a family." Lexya said, sadly. "It isss a foolisssh dream of hisss."

Serylda replied, "We have people looking for us, Palatina, me and the hatchlings that were taken with us. I know it. They're good people, and will free not just us, but everyone here. That dream, your dream, isn't as foolish as you think, Lexya."

Serylda yawned. Before she would sleep, however, she had a plan. She moved to the tiny barred window between her and Palatina's cages.

The Fae beckoned the Imperial to her.

"Palatina, I have an idea. They don't know I'm allergic to maggots, and it's all they've given me to eat, so in a little while, I'm going to eat one. I'm going to make myself sick, so they'll have to postpone their little program for me. I need you to keep an eye on me and make sure I keep breathing. This is a really dangerous thing I'm about to do." she explained.

Rhystalon's head was swimming through strange images as he dreamed and faded in and out of dreaming and wakefulness. His head throbbed, and it felt unbalanced on one side. He felt his head rising and falling with someone else's breathing, and it took him a long time to realize that it was Sakuyahime's flank on which his head rested.

As he began to hear again, he heard the voice of a woman speaking about the Gladeveins, his home.

He could hear Marya interjecting every now and again, excitedly affirming what the woman was saying. At least she was in higher spirits than when he'd last seen her.

His eye lazily slipped open, rolling around to take in his surroundings. They were very pink, he realized, since Sakuyahime's wing was covering his face.

Muffled from underneath it, he said, "Sakuya! Miss Sakuya! Please take your wing off my face!"

The garbled mess that emanated from underneath her wing caused Sakuya to raise it and look directly into Rhys's good eye.

"Rhystalon! You're awake!" she exclaimed happily. "Look, Dalecar! He's awake! Volarian, Heliessa! Come meet Rhys! Marya, you bring Zamoro over here, too! Miss Anja! He's awake!"

"Easy, Miss Sakuya. I'd have slept a while longer, had I known you'd be so excited." he joked, earning him a light slap in the rump from her snakelike tail.

"You could have died, you idiot! To save me! Forgive me for being excited that my hero isn't dead!" she griped good-naturedly back.

"Let me see him again, dear." Anja said. "I need to ask him a few questions."

"Hello, Ma'am." Rhys said, bowing his head as much as he was able. "I'm Rhystalon, son of Valdiis and Drakiel of Clan Animar."

"It's nice to finally meet you, dear. Now tell me, can you feel all of your limbs?" Anja asked.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Does anything other than your head hurt?"

"No, Ma'am."

"That's good. That means that all that has to happen is the skin has to heal over on your head and you'll be perfectly fine. I'm afraid that your horn and head crest won't grow back, though." Anja informed him, knowing that many male Guardians were very, very particular about their horns and fincrests.

"Doesn't matter to me, as long as Sakuya wasn't hurt." Rhys replied. He turned to the Ice Princess. "You are alright, aren't you, Miss?"

"I got some hooks put into my wings, but Miss Anja here fixed it and I'll be okay. It was nowhere near as bad as your injury!" Sakuya said, gently rubbing her muzzle on his.

Sakuya introduced the rest of the fledglings to Rhys.

"This is Dalecar, he can't talk because the goblins hurt his throat, Volarian, he's nice, but sometimes he says things that make Heliessa, that's her, step on his feet or spike him. Heliessa's very kind." Sakuya explained. "Miss Anja was just telling us a story about the Viridian Labyrinth! It sounds so beautiful! I can't believe that you and Marya are really from such a place!"

Val and Persephone took lead of the formation, steering the group toward a large terrace lorded over by an immense tower. Arrow slits looked out in every direction, keeping silent watch over the city and the wastes beyond.

A lone, armor-clad human stood in the shadow of the tower, a large pack at his side.

He hailed the dragons and the two riders down to the terrace, which was spacious enough for all of them to rest comfortably.

Valravn dismounted, and gestured that Malu do the same.

The man in armor approached the two women. His armor gleamed silver in the setting sun's light, a mid-length red cape attached to the shoulders. A longsword hung at his left hip, a simple scabbard holding the blade.

He bowed low to the two, a bow that Silvona returned, lower. Her long, black braid fell over her shoulder, and as she stood, she flipped it back to its normal place along her spine.

As she rose, her yellow eyes met his green ones. The man had shaggy black hair, tousled and unkempt from having worn a helmet all day, for formality's sake, and a few days worth of beard growth made his jawline stand out black from his neck. His well-groomed moustache drew her attention to his wide, charismatic grin, a face she was very familiar with.

"Malu of the Luminous Aerie, this is Rhys Dagorain. He hails from the Ashfall Wastes, but is stationed in Dragonhome for the time being. Dag, this is Malu, my closest human friend and companion in our quest to reunite our families." Silvona said in introduction.

"My pleasure to meet you, Miss Malu. More my pleasure to help you in your journey. I wish I could go with you, but I believe the two of you are more than capable without me. I have faith." he replied.

"The dragons who have volunteered to go with us are Kharahm, Merlin and Persephone, from my Clan, and Eclipse and Benioti from the Aerie." Val said, introducing the dragons.

Dagorain bowed to each Dragon in turn.

"As time is of the essence, A'maelamin, I won't ask you and your companions to dinner with me, but I need to give you the supplies you requested of me." he said to Val.

He opened the sack and pulled a hide-wrapped bundle from it; Val's new bow. It was exquisitely made, and of Elvish make. Odd, but she'd ask later where he got it from.

He presented Malu with a fine set of leather armor, padded with what appeared to be Mithril plates. It would fit her perfectly, and thus protect her very well. Val was very pleased with it.

Both women were given a fine shortsword. The gifts had to have been expensive, even with the Captain's pay Dagorain received, but there was really no time to ask about it. They had to rendezvous with Canari soon.

"The last part." Dagorain quipped, handing Val a sack that clinked with bottles. "And I think I know what you're up to, and I don't like it. But I can't stop you. So all I can say is to be careful, my love."

As she took the sack, Dag pulled her into a tight hug, which the elf returned.

"I have to go, Dagorain. Time runs short." Valravn said, regretting not being able to spend any time with him this time.

"One last thing." Dag said. "Don't worry about paying me back for this, like I know you'll try to do. I didn't actually buy any of this. When the platoon found out what happened, and why I was collecting supplied, they all donated what they could. Nissa told me to tell you to take good care of that bow. And that it will never miss, if you trust in it."

Val was left agape as Persephone began to nudge the surprised elf toward where they would find Canari.

Bidding Dag a last farewell, she and the party began the walk to Canari's hideaway.

"I'll tell you about this plan I have when we meet up with Canari. I want her opinion on it, too. It's a bit more subtle than 'kick-in-the-door, get-the-kids-and-the-girls-back'." Val said. She looked apprehensively into the sack again, not sure if she wanted to do what she had to do for her plan, but she knew she could pull it off.

Hair dye and skin paint were just such a pain in the ***, though!
(( And my goodness, I'm going to be hard-pressed to keep up with your muse! That's a wicked-long post! :D Very well-written though. ^^ ))

Palatina wanted so badly to whip her head about and crunch her teeth into the Dark Elf's overly-inflated skull. She fought down the want to snatch the sickeningly-apparent chance at ending the source of such a filthy existence.

The only thing that saved the Elf's life (and it angered her more thinking that he knew it) was the relief that masked every sharp flare of pain when his fingertips glossed the healing salve over the now cleanly-stitched wounds in her delicate wings. Her Fire-hot eyes missed nothing, especially his passing touch of her still-rippling flank, and she shied away with a vicious snarl even as he was locking up the cage door once again.

Eggs! My eggs! Eclipse's eggs! My...my babies! It shook her to her core. Snaking her head around to look at her side, she watched each egg settle into place within her. Saving grace...saving me from another male, but... But... Her throat constricted so tightly with soul-deep anguish at the possible future of her babies being sold into an uncaring hand. She wrapped her wings tightly about her body, wincing a little at lingering pain, and realized that Serylda was talking to Lexya.

It was painful to listen to Lexya's hopes and dreams with this other male dragon, Meldarion. The way Lexya spoke of her adoration reminded her of her own love for Eclipse. He was her Dark Knight, her light in the darkness, and eternal guardian of their love for one another. Palatina scrubbed the back of her paw across her cheek. No crying. Crying could happen later. She saw movement in the window of Serylda's cage and moved over to see the little Fae waving a paw at her.

The Fae's plan made Palatina's eyes widen.

"Serylda...!" she hissed, trying hard to keep her voice down despite her horror. "You can't be serious?! How in this green world am I supposed to keep you breathing from here?!"

Dalecar had to admit that he was a bit peeved when Rhys "came back to life". Anja had been about to describe his favorite part, the Shrieking Wilds, where the leaves in the trees above were so thick that misty night reined eternal and dark-loving creatures skittered about unseen. The circuit-marked Imperial shuffled back a few steps, giving the injured Guardian a frown, before sitting down and waiting for the hub-bub to die down. When he was abruptly introduced, he sat there awkwardly for a moment before giving a half-hearted wave and an attempt at a smile. In the dirt before him, he scratched out,

~Glad to see you not dead. Take axe to head. Not smart. Maybe give flowers next time. ~ he jibed at the fledgling, full aware that Sakuya was dreadfully attracted to him due to his bravery.

Little Zamoro held onto Marya's paw, half-asleep, until Sakuya began yelling. He awoke with a whimper and clutched at the paw in his cage, looking about with hope that this wasn't the terrible cavern, but the inside of his mother's spun cocoon. His hopes were dashed and he let out a little wail, trying hard to not let Marya pull her paw from his grasp. He was still within his little cage and unless she wanted to move the cage along with him, he wasn't going anywhere.

The backdrafts of the landing dragons kicked up dust about the terrace, momentarily blocking Malu's sight of the stranger standing in the watchtower's shade. She coughed a few times and rubbed at her face before sneezing twice.

"Bless you," Benioti said softly as Eclipse stepped up beside them. His Arcane-dark eyes were taking in every little nuance of the stranger as per his suspicious attitude when it came to unknown humans. He glanced over at Malu as she dismounted, wincing at muscles that twinged after being held in one position for so long.

"I hope you trust him," he muttered, his ears held flatly in position. Benioti tilted his head to one side as they watched Val interact with this unknown human.

"I think that's her significant other, Eclipse," the Skydancer said softly. Malu nodded silently in agreement; she could read it in their body language, how they mirrored one another and shared true smiles. When she was introduced to Rhys Dagorain, she gave a polite and courtly bow, grinning at him.

"The pleasure is all mine, Sir Dagorain," she replied, giving him a friendly little wave from where she stood. Eclipse and Benioti both inclined their heads respectfully, one with a bright twinkle to his eyes and the other with a bit of a glower.

Malu took the offered Mithril-studded leather armor with a stunned expression. She would never have been able to afford anything close to this, despite how light-weight it was considered compared to solid armor.
"Th-thank you," she stuttered, uncertain if Rhys heard her. She had to set the armor to one side in order to take the weapon he handed her next. The short sword was more familiar to her and she gave a few experimental swings away from the dragons, testing its weight and balance. Benioti was deftly helping her into the light-weight armor when Rhys left for his regiment once again. "Thank you again!" she called at his retreating figure and Benioti humphed at her.

"I had all those knots tied. You're like a fledgling full of sparrows," he grumped as Malu held still once again, trying not to laugh in embarrassment. "There. Now, walk in it and get used to it."

"I'll test your comfort in it later," Eclipse added with a smirk. Malu smirked back at him.

"I'm going to tickle you to death, you dangerous creature, you," she joked. He snorted and turned his attention back to Val and her dragons. "Hold up, Val! Ben and I know the quickest way to Sunsherry Lane from here. Follow us. And yes, I can't wait to hear this plan of yours..." she added, eyeing the clinking bag slung over Val's shoulder. "I don't mind subtle, but maybe your definition is different than mine." She chuckled as she glanced up at the street signs. They were still just within the city limits, just inside the main entrance. All about them, city-goers bustled in their daily lives and other dragons deftly walked through them. She could never avoid being struck by how all of the stalls carried such interesting wares. Already, she was planning on visiting her favorite scroll vendors to see if any new archaic writings had come to light.

"Don't get distracted," Benioti murmured, gracefully avoiding a group of young children chasing a ball down the center of the cobblestone street. "We need to get there without being robbed."

"I know, Ben. Geez," Malu muttered. Eclipse seemed to have taken up unofficial guard-duty and watched everyone with slitted eyes. "We're only a few blocks from Sunsherry Lane. Val, this way, let's take this street. It'll dump us out onto Sunsherry."
(( And my goodness, I'm going to be hard-pressed to keep up with your muse! That's a wicked-long post! :D Very well-written though. ^^ ))

Palatina wanted so badly to whip her head about and crunch her teeth into the Dark Elf's overly-inflated skull. She fought down the want to snatch the sickeningly-apparent chance at ending the source of such a filthy existence.

The only thing that saved the Elf's life (and it angered her more thinking that he knew it) was the relief that masked every sharp flare of pain when his fingertips glossed the healing salve over the now cleanly-stitched wounds in her delicate wings. Her Fire-hot eyes missed nothing, especially his passing touch of her still-rippling flank, and she shied away with a vicious snarl even as he was locking up the cage door once again.

Eggs! My eggs! Eclipse's eggs! My...my babies! It shook her to her core. Snaking her head around to look at her side, she watched each egg settle into place within her. Saving grace...saving me from another male, but... But... Her throat constricted so tightly with soul-deep anguish at the possible future of her babies being sold into an uncaring hand. She wrapped her wings tightly about her body, wincing a little at lingering pain, and realized that Serylda was talking to Lexya.

It was painful to listen to Lexya's hopes and dreams with this other male dragon, Meldarion. The way Lexya spoke of her adoration reminded her of her own love for Eclipse. He was her Dark Knight, her light in the darkness, and eternal guardian of their love for one another. Palatina scrubbed the back of her paw across her cheek. No crying. Crying could happen later. She saw movement in the window of Serylda's cage and moved over to see the little Fae waving a paw at her.

The Fae's plan made Palatina's eyes widen.

"Serylda...!" she hissed, trying hard to keep her voice down despite her horror. "You can't be serious?! How in this green world am I supposed to keep you breathing from here?!"

Dalecar had to admit that he was a bit peeved when Rhys "came back to life". Anja had been about to describe his favorite part, the Shrieking Wilds, where the leaves in the trees above were so thick that misty night reined eternal and dark-loving creatures skittered about unseen. The circuit-marked Imperial shuffled back a few steps, giving the injured Guardian a frown, before sitting down and waiting for the hub-bub to die down. When he was abruptly introduced, he sat there awkwardly for a moment before giving a half-hearted wave and an attempt at a smile. In the dirt before him, he scratched out,

~Glad to see you not dead. Take axe to head. Not smart. Maybe give flowers next time. ~ he jibed at the fledgling, full aware that Sakuya was dreadfully attracted to him due to his bravery.

Little Zamoro held onto Marya's paw, half-asleep, until Sakuya began yelling. He awoke with a whimper and clutched at the paw in his cage, looking about with hope that this wasn't the terrible cavern, but the inside of his mother's spun cocoon. His hopes were dashed and he let out a little wail, trying hard to not let Marya pull her paw from his grasp. He was still within his little cage and unless she wanted to move the cage along with him, he wasn't going anywhere.

The backdrafts of the landing dragons kicked up dust about the terrace, momentarily blocking Malu's sight of the stranger standing in the watchtower's shade. She coughed a few times and rubbed at her face before sneezing twice.

"Bless you," Benioti said softly as Eclipse stepped up beside them. His Arcane-dark eyes were taking in every little nuance of the stranger as per his suspicious attitude when it came to unknown humans. He glanced over at Malu as she dismounted, wincing at muscles that twinged after being held in one position for so long.

"I hope you trust him," he muttered, his ears held flatly in position. Benioti tilted his head to one side as they watched Val interact with this unknown human.

"I think that's her significant other, Eclipse," the Skydancer said softly. Malu nodded silently in agreement; she could read it in their body language, how they mirrored one another and shared true smiles. When she was introduced to Rhys Dagorain, she gave a polite and courtly bow, grinning at him.

"The pleasure is all mine, Sir Dagorain," she replied, giving him a friendly little wave from where she stood. Eclipse and Benioti both inclined their heads respectfully, one with a bright twinkle to his eyes and the other with a bit of a glower.

Malu took the offered Mithril-studded leather armor with a stunned expression. She would never have been able to afford anything close to this, despite how light-weight it was considered compared to solid armor.
"Th-thank you," she stuttered, uncertain if Rhys heard her. She had to set the armor to one side in order to take the weapon he handed her next. The short sword was more familiar to her and she gave a few experimental swings away from the dragons, testing its weight and balance. Benioti was deftly helping her into the light-weight armor when Rhys left for his regiment once again. "Thank you again!" she called at his retreating figure and Benioti humphed at her.

"I had all those knots tied. You're like a fledgling full of sparrows," he grumped as Malu held still once again, trying not to laugh in embarrassment. "There. Now, walk in it and get used to it."

"I'll test your comfort in it later," Eclipse added with a smirk. Malu smirked back at him.

"I'm going to tickle you to death, you dangerous creature, you," she joked. He snorted and turned his attention back to Val and her dragons. "Hold up, Val! Ben and I know the quickest way to Sunsherry Lane from here. Follow us. And yes, I can't wait to hear this plan of yours..." she added, eyeing the clinking bag slung over Val's shoulder. "I don't mind subtle, but maybe your definition is different than mine." She chuckled as she glanced up at the street signs. They were still just within the city limits, just inside the main entrance. All about them, city-goers bustled in their daily lives and other dragons deftly walked through them. She could never avoid being struck by how all of the stalls carried such interesting wares. Already, she was planning on visiting her favorite scroll vendors to see if any new archaic writings had come to light.

"Don't get distracted," Benioti murmured, gracefully avoiding a group of young children chasing a ball down the center of the cobblestone street. "We need to get there without being robbed."

"I know, Ben. Geez," Malu muttered. Eclipse seemed to have taken up unofficial guard-duty and watched everyone with slitted eyes. "We're only a few blocks from Sunsherry Lane. Val, this way, let's take this street. It'll dump us out onto Sunsherry."
detxc0.jpg
Val admired the goods for sale as they took the shortcut to Sunsherry Lane. They passed a silk vendor, and Valravn begged leave to take a moment at the stall.

"For my plan." she said. She bid the group continue on without her, she wouldn't take long, but Merlin insisted on staying with her.

She was allowed a moment to sort through the merchant's wares, before deciding on a crimson and black silk number that would pass as Drow fashion. She promptly bought it in her size, bid the vendor good day, and hurried to catch up with Persephone, Malu, and the rest of the dragons.

"What are you up to, Sil?" Merlin asked, adjusting the brown tunic and hat he always wore.

"You'll find out when the others find out, Merlin. Please just trust me." Silvona said.

"If you insist." the tiny dragon replied, readjusting himself on her shoulder. "Look! They just turned down that alleyway. Better hurry."

Silvona put on a burst of speed, weaving through the crowd to catch up to their friends. Merlin nearly fell from his perch, if not for grabbing hold of her quiver-strap.

"Malu! I'm done! Wait up a second!" Silvona called, hailing the rest of the party.

She sprinted up to them, before slowing her pace to match theirs.

Merlin jokingly complained from her shoulder, "Shadowbinder forbid anyone have to catch Val on foot. They won't be able to!"

"Pest." Val said affectionately, rubbing Merlin's chin and eliciting a small thuumm from him.

"Stay with us now, Val. We're almost to Canari, then you can tell us about this secret plan you've been saving." Persephone said, firmly planting her head in the small of Silvona's back, sideways so as not to gore her with her horn, and pushing the Elf down the narrow road.

Rhys was less than thrilled at Dalecar's sarcasm, but chalked it up to having been here a while and losing a lot of hope. Well, not to worry, since Rhystalon knew hope was on its way!

"Miss Anja, will you continue your story?" Rhys asked. "I heard some of it while I was waking up, and I'd like to hear the rest, if you don't mind."

"Of course, Youngling!" Anja said. "As I was saying, if you go a little farther into the Labyrinth, you'll come to a place where the leaves of the trees are so thick..."

Rhys began to listen to her artful storytelling. Everything was accurate, and her words were captivating.

Marya, only struggling a tiny bit, managed to pick up Zamoro's cage, while keeping her paw in it for his comfort, and carry it to where Rhys was laying, with Sakuya pressed close to his side.

Marya thought to herself that Rhys looked funny now, with only one horn and face-crest, but she didn't say anything, thinking it might hurt his feelings.

About twenty minutes after Rhys woke, a goblin carrying a large basket grumbled and griped his way into the pen.

"Dinner's 'ere, maggots!" he cackled, pulling out bundles of food.

There was a large packet of pale, eyeless cave eels for the RIdgebacks, Dalecar and Sakuya, some wilted moss for Marya, a bowl of earthworms scattered with maggots for little Zamoro, and a wrapped package of what smelled like half-rotten meat for Rhys.

While distasteful, it was still food, and Rhys choked down the meat.

The goblin snickered as Rhys looked up and asked, "What kind of meat was that, anyway?"

The goblin guffawed. "Might 'a bin some 'o that Mirror we 'ad ta put down de other day. Or it might 'a bin some 'a dat big male Imperial dat fought back when we's took 'is hatchlin's. I dunno, worm! Haw Haw Haw!"

Rhys's stomach turned as he vomited up everything that had been in it, and Sakuya gasped as she stopped forcing herself to eat the eels.

The goblin left, laughing the whole time at some perceived joke.

"Little one, the goblin lies." Anja said, putting Rhys's head in her lap. "He just wants to see you miserable. It was no dragon you ate."

Rhys was hiccuping in shock at eating what he thought was another Dragon.

"Re-hic!-eally? It -hic!- wasn't an-hic!-another drag-hic!-on?" he asked, nearly in tears.

"No, Rhys. It is cave lizards. The goblins farm them and make them grow huge. What you ate was rotten cave lizard." Anja reassured the young Guardian.

"I'm sorry I threw it up, Miss Anja." he said. "I--"

"Here! You can have the rest of my eels!" Sakuya said, shoving the pile of partially-alive eels under Rhys's nose. "I'm not hungry anymore, anyway!"

She insisted he eat them, which he did, and he thanked her for them.

In reality, Sakuya was still hungry, but the eels revolted her, and she didn't want to eat more than she had to. If not eating them helped Rhys, too, then it was a win all around, in her mind.

Serylda laughed a tiny bit.

"By 'make sure I'm still breathing', I mean, if you see me breathing hard or not at all, set up the loudest fuss you can. I don't know how we can postpone them putting you with a male, but this way, I can have a little time to plan and build up some Breath for if I need it." Serylda told the Imperial. "I'll be laying down right here after I eat it so you can watch me, alright?"

"Your plan isss foolisssh, Fae." Lexya hissed. "But it may very well work. I wisssh you luck. Were I you, I would eat it and not worry about a ressscue."

"Stop being such a pessimist, Lexya. I told you, when Palatina and I are freed, you're coming with us." Serylda snapped back. She was not going to let Lexya's unfortunate defeatist attitude get to her, and as long as she was in captivity near the black and green Imperial, she wasn't about to let Lexya get herself down, either. There was hope now, damnit. And she'd make Lexya feel it, if she had to Zephyr Bolt it into her.

Lexya looked dumbfounded by the feisty Fae, but said nothing else.

Serylda looked again at the bowl of maggots, not sure if she should do what she was about to.

But she steeled herself, picked one up, and went and sat by the bars between her and Palatina's cage.

"Here I go!" Serylda said, chuckling nervously.

She looked at the squirming, fat maggotworm, and her stomach squelched. But she shut her eyes, thought of Merlin, and let the nasty thing wriggle down her throat.

"Give it about five minutes now, Palatina, then watch me close. I'll let you know if my throat starts to close off before then, alright?" Serylda said, smiling and optimistic.

She settled down by the bars, and before long, she was dizzy and wheezing. She weakly gave Palatina a sign to start that ruckus.
Val admired the goods for sale as they took the shortcut to Sunsherry Lane. They passed a silk vendor, and Valravn begged leave to take a moment at the stall.

"For my plan." she said. She bid the group continue on without her, she wouldn't take long, but Merlin insisted on staying with her.

She was allowed a moment to sort through the merchant's wares, before deciding on a crimson and black silk number that would pass as Drow fashion. She promptly bought it in her size, bid the vendor good day, and hurried to catch up with Persephone, Malu, and the rest of the dragons.

"What are you up to, Sil?" Merlin asked, adjusting the brown tunic and hat he always wore.

"You'll find out when the others find out, Merlin. Please just trust me." Silvona said.

"If you insist." the tiny dragon replied, readjusting himself on her shoulder. "Look! They just turned down that alleyway. Better hurry."

Silvona put on a burst of speed, weaving through the crowd to catch up to their friends. Merlin nearly fell from his perch, if not for grabbing hold of her quiver-strap.

"Malu! I'm done! Wait up a second!" Silvona called, hailing the rest of the party.

She sprinted up to them, before slowing her pace to match theirs.

Merlin jokingly complained from her shoulder, "Shadowbinder forbid anyone have to catch Val on foot. They won't be able to!"

"Pest." Val said affectionately, rubbing Merlin's chin and eliciting a small thuumm from him.

"Stay with us now, Val. We're almost to Canari, then you can tell us about this secret plan you've been saving." Persephone said, firmly planting her head in the small of Silvona's back, sideways so as not to gore her with her horn, and pushing the Elf down the narrow road.

Rhys was less than thrilled at Dalecar's sarcasm, but chalked it up to having been here a while and losing a lot of hope. Well, not to worry, since Rhystalon knew hope was on its way!

"Miss Anja, will you continue your story?" Rhys asked. "I heard some of it while I was waking up, and I'd like to hear the rest, if you don't mind."

"Of course, Youngling!" Anja said. "As I was saying, if you go a little farther into the Labyrinth, you'll come to a place where the leaves of the trees are so thick..."

Rhys began to listen to her artful storytelling. Everything was accurate, and her words were captivating.

Marya, only struggling a tiny bit, managed to pick up Zamoro's cage, while keeping her paw in it for his comfort, and carry it to where Rhys was laying, with Sakuya pressed close to his side.

Marya thought to herself that Rhys looked funny now, with only one horn and face-crest, but she didn't say anything, thinking it might hurt his feelings.

About twenty minutes after Rhys woke, a goblin carrying a large basket grumbled and griped his way into the pen.

"Dinner's 'ere, maggots!" he cackled, pulling out bundles of food.

There was a large packet of pale, eyeless cave eels for the RIdgebacks, Dalecar and Sakuya, some wilted moss for Marya, a bowl of earthworms scattered with maggots for little Zamoro, and a wrapped package of what smelled like half-rotten meat for Rhys.

While distasteful, it was still food, and Rhys choked down the meat.

The goblin snickered as Rhys looked up and asked, "What kind of meat was that, anyway?"

The goblin guffawed. "Might 'a bin some 'o that Mirror we 'ad ta put down de other day. Or it might 'a bin some 'a dat big male Imperial dat fought back when we's took 'is hatchlin's. I dunno, worm! Haw Haw Haw!"

Rhys's stomach turned as he vomited up everything that had been in it, and Sakuya gasped as she stopped forcing herself to eat the eels.

The goblin left, laughing the whole time at some perceived joke.

"Little one, the goblin lies." Anja said, putting Rhys's head in her lap. "He just wants to see you miserable. It was no dragon you ate."

Rhys was hiccuping in shock at eating what he thought was another Dragon.

"Re-hic!-eally? It -hic!- wasn't an-hic!-another drag-hic!-on?" he asked, nearly in tears.

"No, Rhys. It is cave lizards. The goblins farm them and make them grow huge. What you ate was rotten cave lizard." Anja reassured the young Guardian.

"I'm sorry I threw it up, Miss Anja." he said. "I--"

"Here! You can have the rest of my eels!" Sakuya said, shoving the pile of partially-alive eels under Rhys's nose. "I'm not hungry anymore, anyway!"

She insisted he eat them, which he did, and he thanked her for them.

In reality, Sakuya was still hungry, but the eels revolted her, and she didn't want to eat more than she had to. If not eating them helped Rhys, too, then it was a win all around, in her mind.

Serylda laughed a tiny bit.

"By 'make sure I'm still breathing', I mean, if you see me breathing hard or not at all, set up the loudest fuss you can. I don't know how we can postpone them putting you with a male, but this way, I can have a little time to plan and build up some Breath for if I need it." Serylda told the Imperial. "I'll be laying down right here after I eat it so you can watch me, alright?"

"Your plan isss foolisssh, Fae." Lexya hissed. "But it may very well work. I wisssh you luck. Were I you, I would eat it and not worry about a ressscue."

"Stop being such a pessimist, Lexya. I told you, when Palatina and I are freed, you're coming with us." Serylda snapped back. She was not going to let Lexya's unfortunate defeatist attitude get to her, and as long as she was in captivity near the black and green Imperial, she wasn't about to let Lexya get herself down, either. There was hope now, damnit. And she'd make Lexya feel it, if she had to Zephyr Bolt it into her.

Lexya looked dumbfounded by the feisty Fae, but said nothing else.

Serylda looked again at the bowl of maggots, not sure if she should do what she was about to.

But she steeled herself, picked one up, and went and sat by the bars between her and Palatina's cage.

"Here I go!" Serylda said, chuckling nervously.

She looked at the squirming, fat maggotworm, and her stomach squelched. But she shut her eyes, thought of Merlin, and let the nasty thing wriggle down her throat.

"Give it about five minutes now, Palatina, then watch me close. I'll let you know if my throat starts to close off before then, alright?" Serylda said, smiling and optimistic.

She settled down by the bars, and before long, she was dizzy and wheezing. She weakly gave Palatina a sign to start that ruckus.
(( Wait a second. Does Val go by Silvona as well?
I keep seeing that name pop up. ))

Malu barely fought back the sigh, but her smile was true. She understood the lure of the street vendors and their wares. She knew the second they got anywhere near her favorite vendors (located, conveniently, near the City library) that she would get highly distracted by the prospect of finding a new scroll. She had turned the corner onto Sunsherry Lane when she heard Val calling for her. Benioti paused beside her while Eclipse took a few more steps before coming to a slow halt, clearly a bit irritated despite his attempt at composure. He censored his frown as best as he could as he glanced back at the Elf deftly darting through the leisurely-paced citizens.

"I'm impressed. She has graceful moves for a two-legger," he muttered as Val and Merlin finally caught up with the group. Benioti nodded.

"Perhaps Malu could take notes? Now see here, I didn't say that you stumbled about like a fledgling of your kind," he quickly said as Malu gave him a gimlet look.

"She's an Elf, I'm a human. She's automatically more graceful than me no matter what. I think I'm quite graceful anyways. Can you dance?" the strawberry-blonde asked Benioti as they continued down Sunsherry Lane.

"Like a drunken deer," Eclipse said from ahead with a short laugh. Benioti thinned his lips and gave the Imperial a disdainful eyebrow.

"Eclipse likes to stand about like an awkward demi-fledgling and worry about the state of the dust on his scales. I don't believe he's a good judge of dancing."

"I'd love to see a dragon dance," Malu piped up, hoping to keep the two males from getting to an argument in public.

"We'll have to see if Alizarin and Sanza wish to have one at Midsummer," Benioti said, choosing to take the high road as usual. Eclipse nodded and stepped to one aside to allow a large cart drawn by a easy-going Snapper to pass by.

"Those are truly amusing, but we have more important things to worry about," the Imperial said coolly. Benioti had his mouth open, but Malu's hand descended gently on his shoulder. The gembonded-Skydancer looked down at her and finally shook his head.

'I know,' Malu mouthed at him. 'Worried about Palatina.' The group came around a gentle curve in the cobblestone road and there it was, in burned lettering on a hanging sign:

| *~ House on Sunsherry Lane ~* |
| A Quiet Stay on a Dreary Day |

Benioti tried incredibly hard to squelch down his enthusiasm, but actually seeing the sign himself made him snap his wings sharply. It seemed like the bristly crest of fur running down his body stood up higher; the golden head-crest of feather behind his cheekbones fluffed out and his little antennae prickled to attention. Malu looked him over and had to admit that he appeared to be electrified. He noticed the attention he was getting, both simply curious and bordering on acidic dislike (from Eclipse, of course) and shuffled in place as his scales turned reddish.

"Ahem. I won't apologize. I haven't seen my mate in a time," he mumbled calmly. "Shall we continue?" Eclipse turned away and walked stiffly to the entrance. It was easy to open the broad set of wooden doors set into a wide archway tall enough to allow entry by nearly all the dragon species. He entered with head held high, a glint in his Arcane-violet eyes. Malu was quick to dart to the front before his attitude unintentionally triggered some form of confrontation. It seemed quaint to have a front desk, but the desk-keeper looked up at the band of various species, two-legged and two-winged, as if it were an everyday occurrence. He was a twig-like old man, salt-and-peppered through his dark-brown hair, and he adjusted his spectacles on his nose as he addressed Malu.

"Can I help you and your fellow travelers, miss?" Malu glanced back at Benioti, who gave her a reassuring smile. The human did a quick headcount before turning back to the desk-keeper.

"Yes, sir. We're in need of rooms for the night - one night, I think? - though that may change. I hope that's not a problem...?" she asked politely, thinking of all the things that could happen during their search for the other dragons. It made her a bit sick to her stomach, actually.

"I don't believe it will be," the desk-keeper replied as he scratched notes into the large book laid open before him with a quilled pen. "I see you number seven in total? Five dragon-kin, an Elf, and yourself?"

"Yes, sir," Malu replied again, shifting her knapsack on her shoulder. "Although, Benioti here, his mate should be in-residence. She is another Skydancer --"

"Oh yes, Miss Canari. She is residing in suite two currently. We had to move her there to give her more room."

"Why?" Benioti was suddenly looming next to Malu, his concerned Plague-red eyes sparkling, and the young woman stumbled to one side to avoid being stepped on. The desk-keeper was unperturbed by the sudden invasion into his personal space and merely replied,

"Well, she clutched, my dear boy! I assume you had a part in that?" Covering her mouth with her hand, Malu stifled laughter as Benioti jerked his head back, turning bright red once again.

"I'm going to the suite. I'll be there if you need me," he muttered and feigned nonchalance as he walked away into the grandly-arched main hallway leading back to the dragon suites.

"Tell Canari we'll be there shortly!" Malu called and got no response. Turning back to the desk-keeper, she grinned. "I like you, sir."

"My thanks, miss. Excuse me, Lady Elf? Who will be staying where? I assume that the dark Imperial is with your human friend, so the Pearlcatcher, Fae, and Mirror dragons are with your party?" the desk-keeper asked politely.

Dalecar saw that his little poke didn't go over well, but shrugged it off. Clearly the Guardian fledgling was still somewhat addled from the axe-blow.

He had given up hope a long time ago that he would leave these caves alive.

Grinding his talons into the dusty cave floor, he watched the frail dirt crackle up. It was something to do, at least...some form of success at some small task. It was only when one talon dinged a rock inset within the layers of well-trampled dirt that he snapped from his morose state. Snarling soundlessly (and ineffectually) at the unresponsive earth below him, he looked up to see Anja telling her story once again. The Tundra fledgling, Marya, was able to move the little cage containing the baby Fae - what was his name again, Zakoro? Zataro? Whatever - over by the group and Dalecar pursed his lips. He didn't bet on the little Fae living long. That was a delicate species of dragon, definitely not built to withstand long periods of stress and the harshness of being underground. At least the Tundra was able to calm him and keep the fledgie from screaming.

The arrival of the cave's "kitchen staff" had Dalecar salivating despite his intense dislike for the pudgy goblin. The pile of half-dead cave eels had never looked so appetizing, especially after he'd been denied breakfast for...acting out.

Hey, it wasn't like he had been aiming for the goblin's cheek when he had slapped out with his sharp claws.

He had missed the dull creature's eyes anyways.

...the goblin got lucky. This time.

Once the goblin was far enough away that Dalecar could dodge a kick thrown his way, he darted in and snatched a large mouthful of the eels. He was sure to leave some for the other fledglings, though he sorely wanted to have them all to himself. Despite how rubbery and tasteless they were, they were still valuable protein and energy. He was licking his lips before he realized it and felt the bulge in his stomach; it made him truly happy.

Then the goblin began ragging on Rhys. He told the Guardian one of his favorite lies, a true stomach-turner, and got the intended results.

The circuit-marked Imperial had all his teeth bared as he watched the goblin stalk away. Already the Drow Elf was implementing his usual plans. Weaken the fledglings. Make them need something, anything - food, water, shelter, attention... Weaken them further. Punish the ones who act out in plain sight of the others, punish them well.

His Earth-brown eyes flickered to Sakuya and her offer to Rhys of the rest of the eels. Noble, he thought to himself as he curled up where he was. Noble but stupid. She'll be sorry for that later.

Palatina had to agree with Lexya, though she didn't say it aloud.

Serylda's plan seemed like...well, like she intended to die. Even watching the Fae choke down one single maggot had Palatina cringing away with her mouth half-agape, one paw half-outstretched in a futile unconscious attempt to avert the plan. When Serylda settled in, the female Imperial got to pacing along the bars, very much like a large cat. Her Fire-bright eyes never left the Fae's body. It was even slightly predatory, how she walked.

"Oh, I'll make a ruckus. I can promise you that. You'll get a ruckus," she muttered, more as comforting noise than an actual confirmation for Serylda.

Then the Fae began to fade. Palatina froze when she saw the beginnings of an inability to breathe well.

"NOOOOOOOO!!!! NO, HELP!!!! COME QUICKLY, PLEASE! DON'T LET HER DIE!!!!"

The Imperial's shrieking resounded in the small space, doubling back on itself and sounding like multiple dragons.

"SERYLDA, NO!!!"

Palatina was beyond just causing a basic ruckus. She slammed against the bars that had no give. She bruised the palms of her paws banging on the metal rods and tore loose a few stitches in her wings as she fluttered them.

She couldn't help and her only true friend in this horrifying place could die beyond claw's reach, out of her grasp and beyond her control.

"SERYLDA!!! NO, YOU CAN'T! I'M CLUTCHING! DON'T LEAVE ME HERE!!!"
(( Wait a second. Does Val go by Silvona as well?
I keep seeing that name pop up. ))

Malu barely fought back the sigh, but her smile was true. She understood the lure of the street vendors and their wares. She knew the second they got anywhere near her favorite vendors (located, conveniently, near the City library) that she would get highly distracted by the prospect of finding a new scroll. She had turned the corner onto Sunsherry Lane when she heard Val calling for her. Benioti paused beside her while Eclipse took a few more steps before coming to a slow halt, clearly a bit irritated despite his attempt at composure. He censored his frown as best as he could as he glanced back at the Elf deftly darting through the leisurely-paced citizens.

"I'm impressed. She has graceful moves for a two-legger," he muttered as Val and Merlin finally caught up with the group. Benioti nodded.

"Perhaps Malu could take notes? Now see here, I didn't say that you stumbled about like a fledgling of your kind," he quickly said as Malu gave him a gimlet look.

"She's an Elf, I'm a human. She's automatically more graceful than me no matter what. I think I'm quite graceful anyways. Can you dance?" the strawberry-blonde asked Benioti as they continued down Sunsherry Lane.

"Like a drunken deer," Eclipse said from ahead with a short laugh. Benioti thinned his lips and gave the Imperial a disdainful eyebrow.

"Eclipse likes to stand about like an awkward demi-fledgling and worry about the state of the dust on his scales. I don't believe he's a good judge of dancing."

"I'd love to see a dragon dance," Malu piped up, hoping to keep the two males from getting to an argument in public.

"We'll have to see if Alizarin and Sanza wish to have one at Midsummer," Benioti said, choosing to take the high road as usual. Eclipse nodded and stepped to one aside to allow a large cart drawn by a easy-going Snapper to pass by.

"Those are truly amusing, but we have more important things to worry about," the Imperial said coolly. Benioti had his mouth open, but Malu's hand descended gently on his shoulder. The gembonded-Skydancer looked down at her and finally shook his head.

'I know,' Malu mouthed at him. 'Worried about Palatina.' The group came around a gentle curve in the cobblestone road and there it was, in burned lettering on a hanging sign:

| *~ House on Sunsherry Lane ~* |
| A Quiet Stay on a Dreary Day |

Benioti tried incredibly hard to squelch down his enthusiasm, but actually seeing the sign himself made him snap his wings sharply. It seemed like the bristly crest of fur running down his body stood up higher; the golden head-crest of feather behind his cheekbones fluffed out and his little antennae prickled to attention. Malu looked him over and had to admit that he appeared to be electrified. He noticed the attention he was getting, both simply curious and bordering on acidic dislike (from Eclipse, of course) and shuffled in place as his scales turned reddish.

"Ahem. I won't apologize. I haven't seen my mate in a time," he mumbled calmly. "Shall we continue?" Eclipse turned away and walked stiffly to the entrance. It was easy to open the broad set of wooden doors set into a wide archway tall enough to allow entry by nearly all the dragon species. He entered with head held high, a glint in his Arcane-violet eyes. Malu was quick to dart to the front before his attitude unintentionally triggered some form of confrontation. It seemed quaint to have a front desk, but the desk-keeper looked up at the band of various species, two-legged and two-winged, as if it were an everyday occurrence. He was a twig-like old man, salt-and-peppered through his dark-brown hair, and he adjusted his spectacles on his nose as he addressed Malu.

"Can I help you and your fellow travelers, miss?" Malu glanced back at Benioti, who gave her a reassuring smile. The human did a quick headcount before turning back to the desk-keeper.

"Yes, sir. We're in need of rooms for the night - one night, I think? - though that may change. I hope that's not a problem...?" she asked politely, thinking of all the things that could happen during their search for the other dragons. It made her a bit sick to her stomach, actually.

"I don't believe it will be," the desk-keeper replied as he scratched notes into the large book laid open before him with a quilled pen. "I see you number seven in total? Five dragon-kin, an Elf, and yourself?"

"Yes, sir," Malu replied again, shifting her knapsack on her shoulder. "Although, Benioti here, his mate should be in-residence. She is another Skydancer --"

"Oh yes, Miss Canari. She is residing in suite two currently. We had to move her there to give her more room."

"Why?" Benioti was suddenly looming next to Malu, his concerned Plague-red eyes sparkling, and the young woman stumbled to one side to avoid being stepped on. The desk-keeper was unperturbed by the sudden invasion into his personal space and merely replied,

"Well, she clutched, my dear boy! I assume you had a part in that?" Covering her mouth with her hand, Malu stifled laughter as Benioti jerked his head back, turning bright red once again.

"I'm going to the suite. I'll be there if you need me," he muttered and feigned nonchalance as he walked away into the grandly-arched main hallway leading back to the dragon suites.

"Tell Canari we'll be there shortly!" Malu called and got no response. Turning back to the desk-keeper, she grinned. "I like you, sir."

"My thanks, miss. Excuse me, Lady Elf? Who will be staying where? I assume that the dark Imperial is with your human friend, so the Pearlcatcher, Fae, and Mirror dragons are with your party?" the desk-keeper asked politely.

Dalecar saw that his little poke didn't go over well, but shrugged it off. Clearly the Guardian fledgling was still somewhat addled from the axe-blow.

He had given up hope a long time ago that he would leave these caves alive.

Grinding his talons into the dusty cave floor, he watched the frail dirt crackle up. It was something to do, at least...some form of success at some small task. It was only when one talon dinged a rock inset within the layers of well-trampled dirt that he snapped from his morose state. Snarling soundlessly (and ineffectually) at the unresponsive earth below him, he looked up to see Anja telling her story once again. The Tundra fledgling, Marya, was able to move the little cage containing the baby Fae - what was his name again, Zakoro? Zataro? Whatever - over by the group and Dalecar pursed his lips. He didn't bet on the little Fae living long. That was a delicate species of dragon, definitely not built to withstand long periods of stress and the harshness of being underground. At least the Tundra was able to calm him and keep the fledgie from screaming.

The arrival of the cave's "kitchen staff" had Dalecar salivating despite his intense dislike for the pudgy goblin. The pile of half-dead cave eels had never looked so appetizing, especially after he'd been denied breakfast for...acting out.

Hey, it wasn't like he had been aiming for the goblin's cheek when he had slapped out with his sharp claws.

He had missed the dull creature's eyes anyways.

...the goblin got lucky. This time.

Once the goblin was far enough away that Dalecar could dodge a kick thrown his way, he darted in and snatched a large mouthful of the eels. He was sure to leave some for the other fledglings, though he sorely wanted to have them all to himself. Despite how rubbery and tasteless they were, they were still valuable protein and energy. He was licking his lips before he realized it and felt the bulge in his stomach; it made him truly happy.

Then the goblin began ragging on Rhys. He told the Guardian one of his favorite lies, a true stomach-turner, and got the intended results.

The circuit-marked Imperial had all his teeth bared as he watched the goblin stalk away. Already the Drow Elf was implementing his usual plans. Weaken the fledglings. Make them need something, anything - food, water, shelter, attention... Weaken them further. Punish the ones who act out in plain sight of the others, punish them well.

His Earth-brown eyes flickered to Sakuya and her offer to Rhys of the rest of the eels. Noble, he thought to himself as he curled up where he was. Noble but stupid. She'll be sorry for that later.

Palatina had to agree with Lexya, though she didn't say it aloud.

Serylda's plan seemed like...well, like she intended to die. Even watching the Fae choke down one single maggot had Palatina cringing away with her mouth half-agape, one paw half-outstretched in a futile unconscious attempt to avert the plan. When Serylda settled in, the female Imperial got to pacing along the bars, very much like a large cat. Her Fire-bright eyes never left the Fae's body. It was even slightly predatory, how she walked.

"Oh, I'll make a ruckus. I can promise you that. You'll get a ruckus," she muttered, more as comforting noise than an actual confirmation for Serylda.

Then the Fae began to fade. Palatina froze when she saw the beginnings of an inability to breathe well.

"NOOOOOOOO!!!! NO, HELP!!!! COME QUICKLY, PLEASE! DON'T LET HER DIE!!!!"

The Imperial's shrieking resounded in the small space, doubling back on itself and sounding like multiple dragons.

"SERYLDA, NO!!!"

Palatina was beyond just causing a basic ruckus. She slammed against the bars that had no give. She bruised the palms of her paws banging on the metal rods and tore loose a few stitches in her wings as she fluttered them.

She couldn't help and her only true friend in this horrifying place could die beyond claw's reach, out of her grasp and beyond her control.

"SERYLDA!!! NO, YOU CAN'T! I'M CLUTCHING! DON'T LEAVE ME HERE!!!"
detxc0.jpg
1 2 3