Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Change to Mahjong shuffle penalty
1 2
To preface: I'm new to the site, NOT to Mahjong, my father made me a custom set of tiles before he passed, so I know how to play.

The suggestion: Change the application of the Mahjong shuffle penalty.

For those who aren't aware, when you play Mistral Mahjong, you lose 100 points. You get 50 points per match you make. But that's where the problem lies.

In any game of Mahjong, the further into the board you get the more likely you are to require a shuffle, no matter how good you are at making matches. So I propose the following change to the shuffle penalty:

If the game is telling you there are no more available matches, meaning the arrow is pointing at the shuffle button, you don't lose points for shuffling. This also then negates what I call the "screw you" penalty where you can only make 1 or 2 matches after a shuffle before you have to shuffle again.
To preface: I'm new to the site, NOT to Mahjong, my father made me a custom set of tiles before he passed, so I know how to play.

The suggestion: Change the application of the Mahjong shuffle penalty.

For those who aren't aware, when you play Mistral Mahjong, you lose 100 points. You get 50 points per match you make. But that's where the problem lies.

In any game of Mahjong, the further into the board you get the more likely you are to require a shuffle, no matter how good you are at making matches. So I propose the following change to the shuffle penalty:

If the game is telling you there are no more available matches, meaning the arrow is pointing at the shuffle button, you don't lose points for shuffling. This also then negates what I call the "screw you" penalty where you can only make 1 or 2 matches after a shuffle before you have to shuffle again.
I'd like to see a removal of the shuffle penalty anytime in the last 3 pairs on the board: There've been several times where I've had a "perfect" game only to need to shuffle in the last 3 turns because the last matching pair was on top of itself (and have to shuffle several turns prior to having no moves left in order to get them out from under each other so I could actually complete the game).
I'd like to see a removal of the shuffle penalty anytime in the last 3 pairs on the board: There've been several times where I've had a "perfect" game only to need to shuffle in the last 3 turns because the last matching pair was on top of itself (and have to shuffle several turns prior to having no moves left in order to get them out from under each other so I could actually complete the game).
#UnnamedIsValid
My pronouns are xe/xim/xir/xirself.
Wishlist on the dragon
61671499.png Dragon Purchase Preference Poll
Closes 12:01 server time. Sept 1st.
[quote name="KitsuneXIII" date="2021-08-04 10:08:31" ] I'd like to see a removal of the shuffle penalty anytime in the last 3 pairs on the board: There've been several times where I've had a "perfect" game only to need to shuffle in the last 3 turns because the last matching pair was on top of itself (and have to shuffle several turns prior to having no moves left in order to get them out from under each other so I could actually complete the game). [/quote] Seconding this. I understand the shuffle penalty earlier in the game but it gets annoying late in the game when you no longer can have any effect on whether you need to shuffle again anyway, so its just forcing you to lose points even if you do everything perfectly.
KitsuneXIII wrote on 2021-08-04 10:08:31:

Seconding this. I understand the shuffle penalty earlier in the game but it gets annoying late in the game when you no longer can have any effect on whether you need to shuffle again anyway, so its just forcing you to lose points even if you do everything perfectly.
I will put something here eventually.
Exactly why I made this suggestion, it sucks to have to lose 200-300 points in the last few matches of the game simply because RNG hates you.
Exactly why I made this suggestion, it sucks to have to lose 200-300 points in the last few matches of the game simply because RNG hates you.
Support. I almost wanna say remove the penalty entirely since I dont think score affects the payout, buuuut some people might wanna have shuffles refelcted int their scores for personal high score reasons?
Support. I almost wanna say remove the penalty entirely since I dont think score affects the payout, buuuut some people might wanna have shuffles refelcted int their scores for personal high score reasons?
Full support. I have even more than once gotten layouts where I have *no* valid moves after a shuffle and have to immediately shuffle again, so the shuffle algorithm... ain't great. Towards the end of the board, it often feels like I'm getting penalized for the RNG, not my moves.
Full support. I have even more than once gotten layouts where I have *no* valid moves after a shuffle and have to immediately shuffle again, so the shuffle algorithm... ain't great. Towards the end of the board, it often feels like I'm getting penalized for the RNG, not my moves.
Two hours ahead of FR time. ey/em/eirs | it/its
[quote name="Suzuran" date="2021-08-06 10:50:07" ] Full support. I have even more than once gotten layouts where I have *no* valid moves after a shuffle and have to immediately shuffle again, so the shuffle algorithm... ain't great. Towards the end of the board, it often feels like I'm getting penalized for the RNG, not my moves. [/quote] So much this. Just a couple days ago I hit this exact scenario *three* times!
Suzuran wrote on 2021-08-06 10:50:07:

So much this. Just a couple days ago I hit this exact scenario *three* times!
Full support. I shouldn't be penalized for the RNG.
Full support. I shouldn't be penalized for the RNG.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
@Kavori @KitsuneXIII JSYK, if the last match is on top of each other, you can just click the top tile to complete the game.
@Kavori @KitsuneXIII JSYK, if the last match is on top of each other, you can just click the top tile to complete the game.
WKtl2lb.png
1YB0OjO.png
RUGBzP5.png
jQub7yI.png
wAfJ7Bn.png
reHWBXk.png
lSyxazy.png
p19HCH0.png
DEFINITELY support!!

having to shuffle only to get like 2 (or less!!) available matches before needing to shuffle again is annoying as is, i dont see why people need to be further punished for it.
DEFINITELY support!!

having to shuffle only to get like 2 (or less!!) available matches before needing to shuffle again is annoying as is, i dont see why people need to be further punished for it.
achievement spam
1 2