Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Are ancients unpopular?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Personally I don't like them because they can't wear apparel. I don't want to spend hundreds more on UMAs to make them look a bit more interesting, so I've stuck with only having permababies for them.

Maybe once I have the gems to waste, I'll sink some on Banescales and Banescale UMAs.

The one thing I like about them though is that they can break away from the 4 limbs, 2 wings, 1 head and 1 tail requirement. The only one that does that is Banescales though, so hoping the next ancient has a much wilder design than the Gaolers and Veils do.
Personally I don't like them because they can't wear apparel. I don't want to spend hundreds more on UMAs to make them look a bit more interesting, so I've stuck with only having permababies for them.

Maybe once I have the gems to waste, I'll sink some on Banescales and Banescale UMAs.

The one thing I like about them though is that they can break away from the 4 limbs, 2 wings, 1 head and 1 tail requirement. The only one that does that is Banescales though, so hoping the next ancient has a much wilder design than the Gaolers and Veils do.
bantam-Fanger.png
NefariousKing #221629

FR+2 | Bestiary Completionist
small dragon banner by Caprexes
I think as people are saying the lack of apparel makes them a bit hard to work with - sure you can use genes and UMA's, but the genes have limitations themselves and not everyone can afford UMA's. I'm not big in the market so I admit I could be fully wrong, but I see a lot of requiring USD or large amounts of gems and when treasure is involved it's a lot of it so that doesn't exactly make them accessible.

On top of that they can only breed with their own species, and their cooldowns are all set at 20 days. So if I want to do anything with breeding specifics I have to be a lot more careful than I would with a modern breed in terms of picking a mate. If I have a veilspun then I need another veilspun of the opposite gender that's breeding compatible, for example. That or I need to save up for a breed change, which makes the project that much harder.

I can understand what they're intended to be and why they exist, but I'm not sure how well that's working honestly.
I think as people are saying the lack of apparel makes them a bit hard to work with - sure you can use genes and UMA's, but the genes have limitations themselves and not everyone can afford UMA's. I'm not big in the market so I admit I could be fully wrong, but I see a lot of requiring USD or large amounts of gems and when treasure is involved it's a lot of it so that doesn't exactly make them accessible.

On top of that they can only breed with their own species, and their cooldowns are all set at 20 days. So if I want to do anything with breeding specifics I have to be a lot more careful than I would with a modern breed in terms of picking a mate. If I have a veilspun then I need another veilspun of the opposite gender that's breeding compatible, for example. That or I need to save up for a breed change, which makes the project that much harder.

I can understand what they're intended to be and why they exist, but I'm not sure how well that's working honestly.
TW8ViqF.pngrix3ppo.png
Pings Welcome! Especially if you're quoting me XD
I also feel like the ancients that we've been getting haven't been what people were hoping for. Like 2 out of 3 still have 4 limbs, 2 wings, 1 head, etc. Where are the wyrms and hydras and other wild, crazy concepts that ancients should have unleashed? I bet of they released something more along the lines of Banescale, breaking the mold, they would get more popular.
I also feel like the ancients that we've been getting haven't been what people were hoping for. Like 2 out of 3 still have 4 limbs, 2 wings, 1 head, etc. Where are the wyrms and hydras and other wild, crazy concepts that ancients should have unleashed? I bet of they released something more along the lines of Banescale, breaking the mold, they would get more popular.
uCR5SCW.png
I don't mind the lack of apparel, but I do mind the lack of genes. We were also promised wild body shapes and yet only banescales achieve this, and they're not that groundbreaking anyways

I also don't think ancients shouldn't share their special genes... Why can't gaolers have wraith? Or veilspuns shardflank? Imagine if with each ancient release, the previous ancients recieved a bunch of new genes to share with the new breed. For genes being their thing, it's surprising they have so little of them
I don't mind the lack of apparel, but I do mind the lack of genes. We were also promised wild body shapes and yet only banescales achieve this, and they're not that groundbreaking anyways

I also don't think ancients shouldn't share their special genes... Why can't gaolers have wraith? Or veilspuns shardflank? Imagine if with each ancient release, the previous ancients recieved a bunch of new genes to share with the new breed. For genes being their thing, it's surprising they have so little of them
xu8NiU0.png
[quote name="Lemonie" date="2021-06-24 13:12:54" ] Ancients are just diet moderns, change my mind [/quote] LMFAO perfect way of putting it tbh
Lemonie wrote on 2021-06-24 13:12:54:
Ancients are just diet moderns, change my mind

***** perfect way of putting it tbh
I kind of get why people don't like them but I actually like them a lot. Part of that might be because I never dress up my dragons anyway so I have no use for apparel though.
I kind of get why people don't like them but I actually like them a lot. Part of that might be because I never dress up my dragons anyway so I have no use for apparel though.
rFXuTGD.png
I've taken over maintaining ivycrowned's Lair Keeper and Pair Workshop tool!
Thread / Spreadsheet

I like Ancients. However... the small gene selection puts me off sometimes. I adore the design of Banescales but I have such a hard time working with their very limited geneset.
I like Ancients. However... the small gene selection puts me off sometimes. I adore the design of Banescales but I have such a hard time working with their very limited geneset.
I don't have a clue, do you? // Aberrant Cauldron Project
[quote name="miunizee" date="2021-06-24 14:09:14" ] I don't mind the lack of apparel, but I do mind the lack of genes. We were also promised wild body shapes and yet only banescales achieve this, and they're not that groundbreaking anyways I also don't think ancients shouldn't share their special genes... Why can't gaolers have wraith? Or veilspuns shardflank? Imagine if with each ancient release, the previous ancients recieved a bunch of new genes to share with the new breed. For genes being their thing, it's surprising they have so little of them [/quote] yeah I agree. Dragons with ‘wings for arms’ isn’t exactly unheard of and is pretty common these days in media. In fact it’s one of the more popular design choices when you look at media like Skyrim and Game of Thrones. I’d be nice to at least interbreed the ancients so they’re not quite so limited. Maybe in the future... I get that this probably wouldn’t make sense, but if imps and fae can interbreed then why cant Veilspun and Gaoler? XD
miunizee wrote on 2021-06-24 14:09:14:

yeah I agree. Dragons with ‘wings for arms’ isn’t exactly unheard of and is pretty common these days in media. In fact it’s one of the more popular design choices when you look at media like Skyrim and Game of Thrones. I’d be nice to at least interbreed the ancients so they’re not quite so limited. Maybe in the future... I get that this probably wouldn’t make sense, but if imps and fae can interbreed then why cant Veilspun and Gaoler? XD
[quote name="Stormvale" date="2021-06-24 15:00:29" ] I like Ancients. However... the small gene selection puts me off sometimes. I adore the design of Banescales but I have such a hard time working with their very limited geneset. [/quote] Me too. I didn’t realize how bad it was until I was shopping for mates for my XXY Gaoler pairs, you’re lucky if you get more than two choices in genes on the AH when looking for a specific color when it comes to ancients.
Stormvale wrote on 2021-06-24 15:00:29:

Me too. I didn’t realize how bad it was until I was shopping for mates for my XXY Gaoler pairs, you’re lucky if you get more than two choices in genes on the AH when looking for a specific color when it comes to ancients.
[quote name="FloatingInSpace" date="2021-06-24 13:56:16" ] I also feel like the ancients that we've been getting haven't been what people were hoping for. Like 2 out of 3 still have 4 limbs, 2 wings, 1 head, etc. Where are the wyrms and hydras and other wild, crazy concepts that ancients should have unleashed? I bet of they released something more along the lines of Banescale, breaking the mold, they would get more popular. [/quote] ^^^ i like ancients but i wish the developers would be more creative with their designs. all the current ancients (except banescales) look like they could be moderns at first glance. it'd be so refreshing to see an ancient design that's really imaginative and stretches the norm of dragon breeds on this site. not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not but it would still be fun to see. also i don't super mind not being able to dress ancients up bc of skins/accents, but those can be expensive and hard to find if you have a specific look in mind. i do wish that there were more genes available for them, though.
FloatingInSpace wrote on 2021-06-24 13:56:16:
^^^ i like ancients but i wish the developers would be more creative with their designs. all the current ancients (except banescales) look like they could be moderns at first glance. it'd be so refreshing to see an ancient design that's really imaginative and stretches the norm of dragon breeds on this site. not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not but it would still be fun to see.

also i don't super mind not being able to dress ancients up bc of skins/accents, but those can be expensive and hard to find if you have a specific look in mind. i do wish that there were more genes available for them, though.
> she/her
> current avatar
> wishlist
tumblr_ot0059o4wr1v8lm95o1_r1_100.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7