Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Capsule Gene: A Biological Explanation
1 2
[DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY OWN THEORY!!! COMPLETELY UNOFFICIAL!!! I MADE IT UP!!!! I AM NOT ASSOCIATED WITH FLIGHT RISING STAFF!! I DID THIS FOR FUN!!!]
Hi everyone!

I haven't seen much discussion surrounding the physiological implications of the Capsule gene from a biological perspective (or at least one I was satisfied with, lmao), so I decided to post my own explanation:

Rather than replacing the dragon's organs/entire abdominal cavity, the Capsule gene ADDS a thin, (partially) fluid-filled sac in FRONT of the outermost layer of the coelom (main body cavity).

Essentially the "capsule" is structurally adjacent to how adipose tissue functions in our own bodies: the organs are slightly displaced to accomodate for space.

Vertebrate bodies are quite dynamic. The abdominal cavity is built to accomodate for displacement: when your stomach is full, when your diaphragm and lungs expand, the movement of your intestines, changing posture/position, the addition or loss of fat and/or muscle tissue, etc. etc.

Also, I like to think that the stuff filling the "capsule" is a suspension of chromatophores in interstitial fluid.

idk if anyone's gonna read this or care but lemme know your thoughts!!!
[DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY OWN THEORY!!! COMPLETELY UNOFFICIAL!!! I MADE IT UP!!!! I AM NOT ASSOCIATED WITH FLIGHT RISING STAFF!! I DID THIS FOR FUN!!!]
Hi everyone!

I haven't seen much discussion surrounding the physiological implications of the Capsule gene from a biological perspective (or at least one I was satisfied with, lmao), so I decided to post my own explanation:

Rather than replacing the dragon's organs/entire abdominal cavity, the Capsule gene ADDS a thin, (partially) fluid-filled sac in FRONT of the outermost layer of the coelom (main body cavity).

Essentially the "capsule" is structurally adjacent to how adipose tissue functions in our own bodies: the organs are slightly displaced to accomodate for space.

Vertebrate bodies are quite dynamic. The abdominal cavity is built to accomodate for displacement: when your stomach is full, when your diaphragm and lungs expand, the movement of your intestines, changing posture/position, the addition or loss of fat and/or muscle tissue, etc. etc.

Also, I like to think that the stuff filling the "capsule" is a suspension of chromatophores in interstitial fluid.

idk if anyone's gonna read this or care but lemme know your thoughts!!!
quote taken directly from capsule announcement:
"Capsule creates a beautiful glassy sheen across a dragon's belly, with a thin layer of liquid that seems to move beneath the surface of the scales."
so you were right!
"Capsule creates a beautiful glassy sheen across a dragon's belly, with a thin layer of liquid that seems to move beneath the surface of the scales."
so you were right!
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
this post is giving me war flashbacks of my A&P 2 class lol
square2.png sierra
she/her
fr + 2
I agree completely. The art error on the male spiral has capsule going all the way through, but it's just an error.
I agree completely. The art error on the male spiral has capsule going all the way through, but it's just an error.
tgKCVtZ.png
[quote name="corndog" date="2021-03-27 10:10:00" ] quote taken directly from capsule announcement: "Capsule creates a beautiful glassy sheen across a dragon's belly, with a thin layer of liquid that seems to move beneath the surface of the scales." so you were right! [/quote] I had interpreted the announcement a bit differently, so I wanted to go a bit more in depth into my own thoughts!! Though I can see how it could be interpreted to validate my explanation, haha!! Thanks for pointing that out!!!
corndog wrote on 2021-03-27 10:10:00:
so you were right!

I had interpreted the announcement a bit differently, so I wanted to go a bit more in depth into my own thoughts!! Though I can see how it could be interpreted to validate my explanation, haha!! Thanks for pointing that out!!!
[quote name="casus" date="2021-03-27 10:14:21" ] this post is giving me war flashbacks of my A&P 2 class lol [/quote] LMAOO i'm a biology major in uni so a lot of my prior knowledge comes straight from what i learned in school :P
casus wrote on 2021-03-27 10:14:21:
LMAOO i'm a biology major in uni so a lot of my prior knowledge comes straight from what i learned in school :P
[quote name="JayBird375" date="2021-03-27 10:14:54" ] I agree completely. The art error on the male spiral has capsule going all the way through, but it's just an error. [/quote] yeah exactly!! it's always bothered me how capsule appears to fill the body cavity for some dragons, which is actually the reason why i wanted to rationalize it in the first place!!
JayBird375 wrote on 2021-03-27 10:14:54:

yeah exactly!! it's always bothered me how capsule appears to fill the body cavity for some dragons, which is actually the reason why i wanted to rationalize it in the first place!!
They just drink too much juice
They just drink too much juice
[quote name="Variable" date="2020-12-29 19:05:11" ] if the dragon has capsule which replaces the underbelly and most likely the organs, if you flip the dragon upside down can you drink from it since it’s full of liquid [/quote] [s]Sorry it just reminded me about this cursed thread
Variable wrote on 2020-12-29 19:05:11:
if the dragon has capsule which replaces the underbelly and most likely the organs, if you flip the dragon upside down can you drink from it since it’s full of liquid

Sorry it just reminded me about this cursed thread
rzrrjmF.gif
pog headcanon
pog headcanon
UU5sIpr.pngI love purple
BT1N47G.pngFlight Rising+3
v2PJF9u.png
mNH9cjt.png
AO77JKB.gif
1 2