Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What are... Ancient Breeds?
1 2
I've been gone for a long time. Almost 2 years. FlightRising never closes your account when you leave and I decided to come back recently because I remember how much I loved this game and breeding colorful and unique dragons.

But recently I bought some dragons that have an "Ancient Breed" sticker on them? What does that mean? How long have they been around and how many "Ancient breeds" are there and what are they? I don't remember them 2 years ago.

Catch me up on all I missed lol.
I've been gone for a long time. Almost 2 years. FlightRising never closes your account when you leave and I decided to come back recently because I remember how much I loved this game and breeding colorful and unique dragons.

But recently I bought some dragons that have an "Ancient Breed" sticker on them? What does that mean? How long have they been around and how many "Ancient breeds" are there and what are they? I don't remember them 2 years ago.

Catch me up on all I missed lol.
Filia de Lux de Caelo
@LuxOmne

There's been a couple of threads linking all the updates (was on hiatus as well, so I getcha).
Basically, there's two kinds of Ancients: Gaolers (big fluffers/wild Tundras) and Banescales (spikey Wyverns).
Ancients = easier new breeds to make cause NO APPAREL, but line-breaking genes are A-okay

You cannot cross-breed ancients. Only the same with the same (they can get 5 eggs tho). They have different selections for genes. Because of this, they need specific gene scrolls. There's now "Underbelly: Banescale" and such available (some exclusive as of yet, many terts line-breaking). And again, no apparel options.

There's a new Ancient in the works that may be released soon tho.

Other additions are: the hib-den, tabs in your lair/hib-den, the Game Database (BLESS), eye types you prolly still witnessed, more things to do at the trading post (namely raffle and fiona for petting extra familiars and quests), plus distribution of gifts through trading post (no longer directly to your account)
Newest additions: Scenes to add backgrounds to your dergs (plus profile revamp - you can name familiars, you can use vistas to add to the description box, may mess up formatting tho)
@LuxOmne

There's been a couple of threads linking all the updates (was on hiatus as well, so I getcha).
Basically, there's two kinds of Ancients: Gaolers (big fluffers/wild Tundras) and Banescales (spikey Wyverns).
Ancients = easier new breeds to make cause NO APPAREL, but line-breaking genes are A-okay

You cannot cross-breed ancients. Only the same with the same (they can get 5 eggs tho). They have different selections for genes. Because of this, they need specific gene scrolls. There's now "Underbelly: Banescale" and such available (some exclusive as of yet, many terts line-breaking). And again, no apparel options.

There's a new Ancient in the works that may be released soon tho.

Other additions are: the hib-den, tabs in your lair/hib-den, the Game Database (BLESS), eye types you prolly still witnessed, more things to do at the trading post (namely raffle and fiona for petting extra familiars and quests), plus distribution of gifts through trading post (no longer directly to your account)
Newest additions: Scenes to add backgrounds to your dergs (plus profile revamp - you can name familiars, you can use vistas to add to the description box, may mess up formatting tho)
sh5xjiu.png
mtHAEL4.png
jbMLSIO.png
fdUVIfW.png
y41plqc.png
Wn6vGC1.png
YlKQFV6.png
MQadkUW.png
deity_gladekeeper_by_dogi_crimson-dabusrb.gif 9X6Ea51.png
@Kylaila

I appreciate you letting me know! We have lingo now too?! I remember when FlightRising was just a baby and we'd all fight about which Flight was the best. Idk why FR hasn't been turned into a mobile game with a spin off tv show. I sincerely would love watching a show about kids who raise dragons (again, because HTTYD, but our dragons are better).

I sent you a friend request I hope you don't mind. Sometimes I bounce out the site and I like to let people know in case they would like to take some of my babies.
@Kylaila

I appreciate you letting me know! We have lingo now too?! I remember when FlightRising was just a baby and we'd all fight about which Flight was the best. Idk why FR hasn't been turned into a mobile game with a spin off tv show. I sincerely would love watching a show about kids who raise dragons (again, because HTTYD, but our dragons are better).

I sent you a friend request I hope you don't mind. Sometimes I bounce out the site and I like to let people know in case they would like to take some of my babies.
Filia de Lux de Caelo
Gaolers are the best one.

No, I'm joking like that's entirely subjective, but basically they're like a breed of dragon that was thought lost to time, but reemerged due to a certain set of circumstances. Every flight is planned to have one, I believe, but we don't know what order they'll be in.
Gaolers are the best one.

No, I'm joking like that's entirely subjective, but basically they're like a breed of dragon that was thought lost to time, but reemerged due to a certain set of circumstances. Every flight is planned to have one, I believe, but we don't know what order they'll be in.
Msp9L6c.gif|| Cheshire
she/her
hobbiest writer
enjoyer of many things
wishlist/info
@LuxOmne I don't : ) As a fellow 'BACK TO THA THING', it feels really sweet~ I accepted.

Crazy, right? Flight tropes are still very much around tho~
I like my dragons without kids raising them, so I am ok without the TV show, haha.

Oh yes, also, for the ancients - because their genes work differently, if you turn a Modern (all the old dergs) into an Ancient (or vice versa, I imagine), they will be stripped off all their genes. Be mindful! Means you are losing nothing if they are all basic, tho, and Ancient genes tend to be cheaper than modern ones. (500 gems vs 1200 for some gem genes, for example)
This also happens if you are fiddling in the scrying workshop! Whoops. (you can save scries now tho! The bestiary also got a search function now, small changes are here n there. All for the better)
@LuxOmne I don't : ) As a fellow 'BACK TO THA THING', it feels really sweet~ I accepted.

Crazy, right? Flight tropes are still very much around tho~
I like my dragons without kids raising them, so I am ok without the TV show, haha.

Oh yes, also, for the ancients - because their genes work differently, if you turn a Modern (all the old dergs) into an Ancient (or vice versa, I imagine), they will be stripped off all their genes. Be mindful! Means you are losing nothing if they are all basic, tho, and Ancient genes tend to be cheaper than modern ones. (500 gems vs 1200 for some gem genes, for example)
This also happens if you are fiddling in the scrying workshop! Whoops. (you can save scries now tho! The bestiary also got a search function now, small changes are here n there. All for the better)
sh5xjiu.png
mtHAEL4.png
jbMLSIO.png
fdUVIfW.png
y41plqc.png
Wn6vGC1.png
YlKQFV6.png
MQadkUW.png
@songofancients

I have a Gaoler I believe! Fraternal twins! Absolutely gorgeous looking, which is funny because I don't like Tundras. But they have a feral look about them. I got the Horned beast too. I'm very excited for them to get big!

@Kylaila

I'm honestly still confused if I can breed them with my other dragons, because it sounds like I can I just don't get other dragon types out of them, so the kids all come out the ancient breed?

My head is spinning and all I see are dragons right now lol.
@songofancients

I have a Gaoler I believe! Fraternal twins! Absolutely gorgeous looking, which is funny because I don't like Tundras. But they have a feral look about them. I got the Horned beast too. I'm very excited for them to get big!

@Kylaila

I'm honestly still confused if I can breed them with my other dragons, because it sounds like I can I just don't get other dragon types out of them, so the kids all come out the ancient breed?

My head is spinning and all I see are dragons right now lol.
Filia de Lux de Caelo
@LuxOmne

Ahah, sorry, I just gave like the most basic run-down. You can change via Breed scrolls, ofc, but breeding..

Only Gaolers with Gaolers and Banescales with Banescales. Anything else is bust.
Gaoler with Banescale? Nope. Gaoler with Tundra? Nope nope. Not happening.

It makes for a minor hiccup browsing the breeding page, too. But basically, once a selected parent is an Ancient breed - the list is reduced to only that Ancient breed in the parents selection. And only THAT particular Ancient breed. No cross-breeding between either different Ancients, or between Ancient and Modern. Just, the same Ancient with the same Ancient breed.

Gaoler with Gaoler. Banescale with Banescale. That's it. With that, obviously, all babbus are their parents' breed.

Usually, if you bred the same breed together you'd have a minor penalty in eggs (maximum of 4 rather than 5) - but given that there's no choice for Ancients, all Ancients can get up to 5 egg despite them breeding with their own/same breed.
@LuxOmne

Ahah, sorry, I just gave like the most basic run-down. You can change via Breed scrolls, ofc, but breeding..

Only Gaolers with Gaolers and Banescales with Banescales. Anything else is bust.
Gaoler with Banescale? Nope. Gaoler with Tundra? Nope nope. Not happening.

It makes for a minor hiccup browsing the breeding page, too. But basically, once a selected parent is an Ancient breed - the list is reduced to only that Ancient breed in the parents selection. And only THAT particular Ancient breed. No cross-breeding between either different Ancients, or between Ancient and Modern. Just, the same Ancient with the same Ancient breed.

Gaoler with Gaoler. Banescale with Banescale. That's it. With that, obviously, all babbus are their parents' breed.

Usually, if you bred the same breed together you'd have a minor penalty in eggs (maximum of 4 rather than 5) - but given that there's no choice for Ancients, all Ancients can get up to 5 egg despite them breeding with their own/same breed.
sh5xjiu.png
mtHAEL4.png
jbMLSIO.png
fdUVIfW.png
y41plqc.png
Wn6vGC1.png
YlKQFV6.png
MQadkUW.png
@LuxOmne Gaolers can only breed with other gaolers, and banescales can only breed with other banescales. Check out the gaoler's lore story too - under the bounty of the elements entry in the encyclopedia - if you're interested in that kind of stuff!

There's also a third ancient breed under development, there was a couple of developer streams that showed some of it's design process. They come out much more frequently than modern breeds, and the line-breaking terts allow for more variety to make up for the lack of apparel.
@LuxOmne Gaolers can only breed with other gaolers, and banescales can only breed with other banescales. Check out the gaoler's lore story too - under the bounty of the elements entry in the encyclopedia - if you're interested in that kind of stuff!

There's also a third ancient breed under development, there was a couple of developer streams that showed some of it's design process. They come out much more frequently than modern breeds, and the line-breaking terts allow for more variety to make up for the lack of apparel.
If you would like to stay for a while on this site once you’ve returned then you’re going to be in for a treat that we are going to get a third breed released hopefully this year. The third ancient had development streams so the players actually get a sneak peek of what the staff had in mind for the breed. [img] https://flightrising.com/dropbox/updates/trytryagain.png[/img] We haven’t had much updates about the development in a while so there’s a chance what we get will be miles different from what we saw on stream.
If you would like to stay for a while on this site once you’ve returned then you’re going to be in for a treat that we are going to get a third breed released hopefully this year. The third ancient had development streams so the players actually get a sneak peek of what the staff had in mind for the breed.
trytryagain.png
We haven’t had much updates about the development in a while so there’s a chance what we get will be miles different from what we saw on stream.
7N4NLsD.png
AtXvu0n.gif
@Kylaila

Thank you! I get it now! Sounds very limited since you can breed siblings or parents with children, so you have to keep buying more. (And my goofy self bought twins no less!)

@Quid

I appreciate you letting me know about the lore! I'll definitely look it up; I'm a junky for that stuff!

also i'm adding you.

@biohazardBroski

IS THAT THE NEW LOOK?! It looks amazing! I'm so excited for it! I don't plan on leaving the game any time soon, but if I get overwhelmed with life, I usually decide to buckle down and stop playing for a while.

also i'm adding you.

@Kylaila

Thank you! I get it now! Sounds very limited since you can breed siblings or parents with children, so you have to keep buying more. (And my goofy self bought twins no less!)

@Quid

I appreciate you letting me know about the lore! I'll definitely look it up; I'm a junky for that stuff!

also i'm adding you.

@biohazardBroski

IS THAT THE NEW LOOK?! It looks amazing! I'm so excited for it! I don't plan on leaving the game any time soon, but if I get overwhelmed with life, I usually decide to buckle down and stop playing for a while.

also i'm adding you.

Filia de Lux de Caelo
1 2