Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Cardixa's New Legacy of War
[right]all from [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2044950/1#message]dreamnorns' original LoW![/url] [/right] [center][img]https://orig15.deviantart.net/62c6/f/2017/225/e/0/frwind_sword_banner_small_by_littlefiredragon-dbjxznf.png[/img][/center] [center][size=7][font="Georgia"][b]The Rules[/b][/size][/font][/center] [quote="The Base Rules"] 1. Begin with your founder -- a triple-Basic dragon with a plentiful breed (Fae, Guardian, Mirror, or Tundra). The other challenges recommend buying or hatching a G1, but you could be lazy like me and buy the cheapest triple-basic plentiful dragon on the Auction House. 2. Buy the founder a mate. The only rules here is that they must be breedable with the founder and cost 10kt (or its equivalent in gems) or less! [LIST] [*]The original Legacy Challenge states that they must be in the same flight as your founder (or heir, by extension), but as far as I'm concerned this is optional. Others will do Flight unification projects with their generation challenge as well, and that's perfectly fine, too! No matter what you do, though, don't go over the price ceiling! [/LIST] 3. When they're both RTB, breed them. [i]Only their first nest for any given breeding counts for this challenge[/i], but don't worry if you get one-egged. In a way, you're considered lucky for that.... 4. If you had a one-egg nest, then congratulations! That hatchling is your heir by default, and there will be no bloodshed in this generation. However, if you had two to five eggs, go to the [b]heir selection[/b] quote box below this one. Follow the instructions there. 5. Once your heir has been selected (or defaulted to), buy them a mate. This mate must be worth 10kt times the current generation number [i]or less[/i] off the Auction House. So for Gen 2 your price ceiling will be 20kt, for Gen 3 it will be 30kt, and so on. 6. Continue until the tenth generation's nest has hatched. The final survivor will be the winning dragon! [/quote] [quote="Heir Selection (For Nests with 2+ Eggs)"] Wait for these dragons to grow up because they need to be adults in order to compete in the Coliseum. [i]Do not sell or exalt any of them in the meantime.[/i] Once they are adults, they will be forced to battle in order to determine who carries on the legacy -- and yes, this includes the dragons that made no genetic progress! Some general rules for these scenarios are as follows: --- 1. You must keep a battle streak going, [i]even if your dragons level up between fights.[/i] This is to prevent you from inputting points into areas that would allow one contender to be more likely to succeed over another. 2. You cannot use any sort of potion or spell on your contenders to heal them or boost their stats temporarily. 3. You cannot alter the contenders' starting battle stones. 4. When a contender faints, [i]they are considered defeated or dead,[/i] and thus disqualified from being your heir. 5. For most of these scenarios, a third level-one dragon may join in at least one battle streak. This will be called a "coach," and if they faint, it has no effect on what happens. You may also alter their battle stones beforehand, if you so wish. [i]This is optional, as you can go into a battle with less than three dragons, but recommended to extend the drama.[/i] --- Now, depending on how many hatchlings your nest had, here is how the battles will occur... [center]~ [b]2 Eggs[/b][/center] 1. Send both of the contenders (and the coach, if using one) to the Training Fields. Begin your battle streak. If you use a coach and they faint first, keep going; they have no effect on the final outcome. 2. Keep going until one of the contenders faints! The survivor will carry on the legacy. [center][b]3 Eggs[/b][/center] 1. Send all three of the contenders into the Training Fields. Begin your battle streak. 2. When one of the contenders faints, [i]keep going.[/i] They may look alive, but they have been officially disqualified. 3. When another contender faints, you may stop! The survivor will carry on the legacy. [center][b]4 Eggs[/b][/center] 1. Send the first two contenders [i]by birth order[/i] (hatchlings 1 and 2) into the Training Fields (with a coach, if using). Begin your battle streak. If you use a coach and they faint first, keep going; they have no effect on the final outcome. 2. Keep going until one of them faints. Set aside the survivor for now. 3. Repeat step one, but with the final two contenders [i]by birth order[/i] (hatchlings 3 and 4). If you used a coach for the first round, you may either re-use the same one or pick a new one. 4. Keep going until one of them faints. Set aside the survivor for now. 5. Take the victors of the first two battle streaks into a new streak (with whichever coach you prefer or a fresh one, if desired). [i]You can only give a coach stat points before this final round![/i] 6. Commence the final battle streak with the winners from the first two and keep going until one of them faints. The survivor will carry on the legacy. [center][b]5 Eggs[/b][/center] 1. Flip a coin. If it lands on heads, then the middle hatchling (3) will be in a trio with the first two hatchlings (1 and 2). If it lands on tails, then the middle hatchling will be in a trio with the last two hatchlings (4 and 5). 2. Whether the trio goes first or the duo and the coach go first depends on which group the middle hatchling ended up in. If the coin landed on heads, then the trio goes first; if it landed on tails, then the duo goes first. Either way, [i]the group with the first two hatchlings in it goes first.[/i] 3. Perform the battles in each group as follows: [LIST] [*]For the trio group, take the three contenders to the Training Fields and begin a battle streak. Like with the 3-egg nest, the first fainter isn't ushered out between streaks; though they will appear alive, they are disqualified upon fainting. Keep going until a second dragon faints. Set aside the survivor for now. [*]For the duo group, take the two contenders (and a coach, optionally) to the Training Fields and begin a battle streak. Like with all battles that may have a coach, whether they faint or not doesn't matter. Keep going until one of the contenders faints. Set aside the survivor for now. [/LIST] 4. Once the two survivors in each trial have been selected, bring them (and the coach from the duo group, if applicable) to the Training Fields once more. Begin your final battle streak and keep going until one of the contenders faints. The other one is the sole survivor and will carry on the legacy. [center][b]6 Eggs[/b][/center] A six-egg nest is technically impossible in the normal challenge, but if you use the [b]Try Weggain[/b] optional rule, then it could happen! In such a case, here is how the heir would be determined: -- 1. The dragon from the first nest and the [i]older two[/i] dragons from the second nest become a Coliseum team and follow the three-egg nest battle rules. Continue the battle streak until two of the three dragons have fainted at least once. Set aside the survivor. 2. Repeat the first step, but with the [i]youngest three[/i] dragons of the second nest. 3. Once the two survivors in each trial have been selected, bring them (and a coach, if desired) to the Training Fields once more. Begin your final battle streak and keep going until one of the contenders faints. The other one is the sole survivor and will carry on the legacy. [/quote] [quote="Optional Rules Selected"] [b]All from Nothing:[/b] Instead of having a ten-generation limit, your Legacy of War lives on until you have bred a dragon with a rare breed (Coatl or Wildclaw) and triple gem genes who can trace their lineage back to your triple-Basic and plentiful founder. If you use this optional rule, I suggest also using [b]The Chosen One[/b] optional rule. [b]Cheater, Cheater:[/b] During battle streaks, some of your contenders can play dirty by smuggling in potions! But this doesn't mean that you get to choose who did it or the potency of the potions used. Here are notes to anyone who wishes to use this rule: [b]The Chosen One:[/b] If you bought a mate that has a rare breed (Coatl or Wildclaw) and/or any number of gem genes, it's unlikely that those traits will pass down even if your current heir has a limited breed or gene in their corresponding slots. If such a dragon is born against all odds, they are declared "the chosen one" for that generation and are automatically made heir, regardless of whether or not you prefer their siblings (for any reason) over them. [LIST] [*]If, through a miracle of the RNG, you end up with multiple dragons in a generation that could be qualified as chosen ones, then the one with more upgrades of this kind will win automatically. If they have the same number of upgrades of this kind, then they must fight it out the way traditional heirs would, but [i]only[/i] between other chosen ones. Dragons that aren't chosen ones are still disqualified from being heir for that generation. [/LIST] [b]Discount Mates:[/b] [i]All[/i] mates must be purchased for 10kt (or its gem equivalent) or less throughout the duration of the challenge. [b]Mandatory Coaches:[/b] This was a rule in the original Legacy of War that I took out, but it's making a comeback. It's exactly what it sounds like: coaches are now mandatory for groups that would otherwise contain only two dragons. This can lead to some fun in-lore drama when combined with the [b]Cheater, Cheater[/b] optional rule. [b]Try Weggain (OR: If at First You Don't Succeed):[/b] If a Legacy of War pair gives you a one-egg nest on their first breeding, then instead of declaring the sole hatchling your heir by default, you get to have a second nest between the parents. Here are notes to anyone who wishes to use this rule: [LIST] [*]It's all or nothing. If you use the [b]Try Weggain[/b] optional rule, then you [i]must[/i] re-breed the parents for all generations that get a one-egg nest, [i]even if[/i] the sole hatchling has one or more upgrades that would satisfy a Legacy of War challengee. [*]If -- deities forbid -- the parents give you another one-egg nest after the first one, then you cannot breed them a third time. [i]This clause only applies to the first breeding of a generation, not the second.[/i] [*]The single dragon hatched from the one-egg nest must be kept, and will be forced to battle with the sibling(s) that come from the second breeding of their parents. In the meantime, they [i]cannot[/i] be exalted, leveled, bred, or have their starting battle stones altered. [*]When looking up the heir selection rules in the quote box above, the single dragon from the first nest will qualify as the [i]firstborn.[/i] The first child of the second nest will qualify as the secondborn, the second child of the second nest will qualify as the thirdborn, and so on. [*]If you get a five-egg nest after your one-egg nest, then you will have six potential heirs! This cannot happen during a normal Legacy of War challenge, but the heir selection method for a "six-egg nest" is now described in the heir selection quote box above. [/LIST] [/quote]
frwind_sword_banner_small_by_littlefiredragon-dbjxznf.png
The Rules
The Base Rules wrote:
1. Begin with your founder -- a triple-Basic dragon with a plentiful breed (Fae, Guardian, Mirror, or Tundra). The other challenges recommend buying or hatching a G1, but you could be lazy like me and buy the cheapest triple-basic plentiful dragon on the Auction House.

2. Buy the founder a mate. The only rules here is that they must be breedable with the founder and cost 10kt (or its equivalent in gems) or less!

• The original Legacy Challenge states that they must be in the same flight as your founder (or heir, by extension), but as far as I'm concerned this is optional. Others will do Flight unification projects with their generation challenge as well, and that's perfectly fine, too! No matter what you do, though, don't go over the price ceiling!

3. When they're both RTB, breed them. Only their first nest for any given breeding counts for this challenge, but don't worry if you get one-egged. In a way, you're considered lucky for that....

4. If you had a one-egg nest, then congratulations! That hatchling is your heir by default, and there will be no bloodshed in this generation. However, if you had two to five eggs, go to the heir selection quote box below this one. Follow the instructions there.

5. Once your heir has been selected (or defaulted to), buy them a mate. This mate must be worth 10kt times the current generation number or less off the Auction House. So for Gen 2 your price ceiling will be 20kt, for Gen 3 it will be 30kt, and so on.

6. Continue until the tenth generation's nest has hatched. The final survivor will be the winning dragon!

Heir Selection (For Nests with 2+ Eggs) wrote:
Wait for these dragons to grow up because they need to be adults in order to compete in the Coliseum. Do not sell or exalt any of them in the meantime. Once they are adults, they will be forced to battle in order to determine who carries on the legacy -- and yes, this includes the dragons that made no genetic progress!

Some general rules for these scenarios are as follows:

---

1. You must keep a battle streak going, even if your dragons level up between fights. This is to prevent you from inputting points into areas that would allow one contender to be more likely to succeed over another.

2. You cannot use any sort of potion or spell on your contenders to heal them or boost their stats temporarily.

3. You cannot alter the contenders' starting battle stones.

4. When a contender faints, they are considered defeated or dead, and thus disqualified from being your heir.

5. For most of these scenarios, a third level-one dragon may join in at least one battle streak. This will be called a "coach," and if they faint, it has no effect on what happens. You may also alter their battle stones beforehand, if you so wish. This is optional, as you can go into a battle with less than three dragons, but recommended to extend the drama.

---

Now, depending on how many hatchlings your nest had, here is how the battles will occur...

~

2 Eggs

1. Send both of the contenders (and the coach, if using one) to the Training Fields. Begin your battle streak. If you use a coach and they faint first, keep going; they have no effect on the final outcome.

2. Keep going until one of the contenders faints! The survivor will carry on the legacy.

3 Eggs

1. Send all three of the contenders into the Training Fields. Begin your battle streak.

2. When one of the contenders faints, keep going. They may look alive, but they have been officially disqualified.

3. When another contender faints, you may stop! The survivor will carry on the legacy.

4 Eggs

1. Send the first two contenders by birth order (hatchlings 1 and 2) into the Training Fields (with a coach, if using). Begin your battle streak. If you use a coach and they faint first, keep going; they have no effect on the final outcome.

2. Keep going until one of them faints. Set aside the survivor for now.

3. Repeat step one, but with the final two contenders by birth order (hatchlings 3 and 4). If you used a coach for the first round, you may either re-use the same one or pick a new one.

4. Keep going until one of them faints. Set aside the survivor for now.

5. Take the victors of the first two battle streaks into a new streak (with whichever coach you prefer or a fresh one, if desired). You can only give a coach stat points before this final round!

6. Commence the final battle streak with the winners from the first two and keep going until one of them faints. The survivor will carry on the legacy.

5 Eggs

1. Flip a coin. If it lands on heads, then the middle hatchling (3) will be in a trio with the first two hatchlings (1 and 2). If it lands on tails, then the middle hatchling will be in a trio with the last two hatchlings (4 and 5).

2. Whether the trio goes first or the duo and the coach go first depends on which group the middle hatchling ended up in. If the coin landed on heads, then the trio goes first; if it landed on tails, then the duo goes first. Either way, the group with the first two hatchlings in it goes first.

3. Perform the battles in each group as follows:

• For the trio group, take the three contenders to the Training Fields and begin a battle streak. Like with the 3-egg nest, the first fainter isn't ushered out between streaks; though they will appear alive, they are disqualified upon fainting. Keep going until a second dragon faints. Set aside the survivor for now.

• For the duo group, take the two contenders (and a coach, optionally) to the Training Fields and begin a battle streak. Like with all battles that may have a coach, whether they faint or not doesn't matter. Keep going until one of the contenders faints. Set aside the survivor for now.

4. Once the two survivors in each trial have been selected, bring them (and the coach from the duo group, if applicable) to the Training Fields once more. Begin your final battle streak and keep going until one of the contenders faints. The other one is the sole survivor and will carry on the legacy.

6 Eggs

A six-egg nest is technically impossible in the normal challenge, but if you use the Try Weggain optional rule, then it could happen! In such a case, here is how the heir would be determined:

--

1. The dragon from the first nest and the older two dragons from the second nest become a Coliseum team and follow the three-egg nest battle rules. Continue the battle streak until two of the three dragons have fainted at least once. Set aside the survivor.

2. Repeat the first step, but with the youngest three dragons of the second nest.

3. Once the two survivors in each trial have been selected, bring them (and a coach, if desired) to the Training Fields once more. Begin your final battle streak and keep going until one of the contenders faints. The other one is the sole survivor and will carry on the legacy.
Optional Rules Selected wrote:
All from Nothing: Instead of having a ten-generation limit, your Legacy of War lives on until you have bred a dragon with a rare breed (Coatl or Wildclaw) and triple gem genes who can trace their lineage back to your triple-Basic and plentiful founder. If you use this optional rule, I suggest also using The Chosen One optional rule.

Cheater, Cheater: During battle streaks, some of your contenders can play dirty by smuggling in potions! But this doesn't mean that you get to choose who did it or the potency of the potions used. Here are notes to anyone who wishes to use this rule:

The Chosen One: If you bought a mate that has a rare breed (Coatl or Wildclaw) and/or any number of gem genes, it's unlikely that those traits will pass down even if your current heir has a limited breed or gene in their corresponding slots. If such a dragon is born against all odds, they are declared "the chosen one" for that generation and are automatically made heir, regardless of whether or not you prefer their siblings (for any reason) over them.
  • If, through a miracle of the RNG, you end up with multiple dragons in a generation that could be qualified as chosen ones, then the one with more upgrades of this kind will win automatically. If they have the same number of upgrades of this kind, then they must fight it out the way traditional heirs would, but only between other chosen ones. Dragons that aren't chosen ones are still disqualified from being heir for that generation.

Discount Mates: All mates must be purchased for 10kt (or its gem equivalent) or less throughout the duration of the challenge.

Mandatory Coaches: This was a rule in the original Legacy of War that I took out, but it's making a comeback. It's exactly what it sounds like: coaches are now mandatory for groups that would otherwise contain only two dragons. This can lead to some fun in-lore drama when combined with the Cheater, Cheater optional rule.

Try Weggain (OR: If at First You Don't Succeed): If a Legacy of War pair gives you a one-egg nest on their first breeding, then instead of declaring the sole hatchling your heir by default, you get to have a second nest between the parents. Here are notes to anyone who wishes to use this rule:

• It's all or nothing. If you use the Try Weggain optional rule, then you must re-breed the parents for all generations that get a one-egg nest, even if the sole hatchling has one or more upgrades that would satisfy a Legacy of War challengee.

• If -- deities forbid -- the parents give you another one-egg nest after the first one, then you cannot breed them a third time. This clause only applies to the first breeding of a generation, not the second.

• The single dragon hatched from the one-egg nest must be kept, and will be forced to battle with the sibling(s) that come from the second breeding of their parents. In the meantime, they cannot be exalted, leveled, bred, or have their starting battle stones altered.

• When looking up the heir selection rules in the quote box above, the single dragon from the first nest will qualify as the firstborn. The first child of the second nest will qualify as the secondborn, the second child of the second nest will qualify as the thirdborn, and so on.

• If you get a five-egg nest after your one-egg nest, then you will have six potential heirs! This cannot happen during a normal Legacy of War challenge, but the heir selection method for a "six-egg nest" is now described in the heir selection quote box above.

tumblr_o2jxfkPqdI1v576mmo3_500.png
[center][img]https://orig15.deviantart.net/62c6/f/2017/225/e/0/frwind_sword_banner_small_by_littlefiredragon-dbjxznf.png[/img][/center] [center][size=7][font="Georgia"][b]Generation Zero: Beginning[/b][/size][/font][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/63040207][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/630403/63040207_350.png[/img][/url] The original dragon is Gregor (he came with his name). He's quiet but polite and debonair, and apparently has size-changing magic, because his new mate Rythika, who also came with her name ... [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/36816125][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/368162/36816125_350.png[/img][/url] ... is very small. But very intense, in a fun way. She's a Cloudsong native and very welcoming. Both have obtained beautiful daisy flower crowns for themselves, and have gotten a couple of things for each generation's heir to have with them for their duration: [center][item=crown of bones] [item=spirit of wind][/center] As for the others, well, the couple is pleased that all their non-breeding children will be training for the Windsinger's army.
Generation Zero: Beginning

63040207_350.png

The original dragon is Gregor (he came with his name). He's quiet but polite and debonair, and apparently has size-changing magic, because his new mate Rythika, who also came with her name ...

36816125_350.png

... is very small.

But very intense, in a fun way. She's a Cloudsong native and very welcoming.

Both have obtained beautiful daisy flower crowns for themselves, and have gotten a couple of things for each generation's heir to have with them for their duration:
Crown of Bones Spirit of Wind
As for the others, well, the couple is pleased that all their non-breeding children will be training for the Windsinger's army.
And, lo and behold, the day finally came ... [center][img]https://flightrising.com/images/nests/3/3healthy_0dead.png[/img][/center] "I hate sitting on eggs," said Rythika. "It's so much holding still." "I don't," said Gregor, whose floof kept them warm until they were ready to hatch, leaving the nest only to join a foraging group of other Tundras. At those times, Rythika was begrudgingly willing to keep an eye on her eggs.
And, lo and behold, the day finally came ...
3healthy_0dead.png

"I hate sitting on eggs," said Rythika. "It's so much holding still."

"I don't," said Gregor, whose floof kept them warm until they were ready to hatch, leaving the nest only to join a foraging group of other Tundras. At those times, Rythika was begrudgingly willing to keep an eye on her eggs.
[center][img]https://orig15.deviantart.net/62c6/f/2017/225/e/0/frwind_sword_banner_small_by_littlefiredragon-dbjxznf.png[/img][/center] [center][size=7][font="Georgia"][b]Generation One: The, Uh, The Theme Is An Injoke Clutch[/b][/size][/font][/center] Because I'm also into dogsledding, all the clutch names are getting themes, but this one came out a little hard to explain (it's because two of them were tundras). Please roll with it. Three dragons, all girls, entered the coliseum: the two Tundra sisters, Floof: [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/63432695][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/634327/63432695_350.png[/img][/url][/center] and Flomp: [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/63432696][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/634327/63432696_350.png[/img][/url] [/center] and their fae sis Laser: [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/63432694][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/634327/63432694_350.png[/img][/url][/center] While debatably, Flomp had the most interesting patterning to pass on, none of the three had a particular bias in any direction as to whether they would become members of Windsinger's army or have a clutch of their own. ----- Laser was the first out, followed by Flomp, and so the basic-basic-basic Floof was the one to continue out to find a mate. Finding that an all-mage family was somewhat dull, she had hopes of attracting someone a little more ... scratchy.
Generation One: The, Uh, The Theme Is An Injoke Clutch

Because I'm also into dogsledding, all the clutch names are getting themes, but this one came out a little hard to explain (it's because two of them were tundras). Please roll with it.

Three dragons, all girls, entered the coliseum: the two Tundra sisters, Floof:
63432695_350.png

and Flomp:
63432696_350.png

and their fae sis Laser:
63432694_350.png

While debatably, Flomp had the most interesting patterning to pass on, none of the three had a particular bias in any direction as to whether they would become members of Windsinger's army or have a clutch of their own.

Laser was the first out, followed by Flomp, and so the basic-basic-basic Floof was the one to continue out to find a mate. Finding that an all-mage family was somewhat dull, she had hopes of attracting someone a little more ... scratchy.
Now in the crown of bones and accompanied by the heir's spirit of wind, [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/634327/63432695_350.png[/img][/center] Floof was ready. And after some travels, she found a handsome Guardian named Monday willing to make her ... or maybe it was her headgear ... it was something that he was willing to make his charge, anyway. [center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/62389279][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/623893/62389279_350.png[/img][/url] [/center]
Now in the crown of bones and accompanied by the heir's spirit of wind,
63432695_350.png

Floof was ready.

And after some travels, she found a handsome Guardian named Monday willing to make her ... or maybe it was her headgear ... it was something that he was willing to make his charge, anyway.
62389279_350.png
... and it's one egg! [center][img]https://flightrising.com/images/nests/3/1healthy_0dead.png[/img][/center] "Good," was Floof's take, because the one child would automatically be the leader of the next generation. Monday had hoped to see some battling, and was a little more disappointed. ([i]What if it's really, really ugly?[/i] Rythika thought, but didn't ask.)
... and it's one egg!
1healthy_0dead.png

"Good," was Floof's take, because the one child would automatically be the leader of the next generation.

Monday had hoped to see some battling, and was a little more disappointed.

(What if it's really, really ugly? Rythika thought, but didn't ask.)