Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | I want your Fun Facts!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Some flowering plants have photoreceptor proteins And thus can sense light and the absence of, as well as how long it has been since dawn or dusk. They use this knowledge to know when to flower.

Magenta isn't real. Someone else has already mentioned Stygian Blue and others, but magenta isn't real!!!

Bread first existed as beer-ingredient storage. That's right, beer came first.

Nebraska has a Navy Admiral. Nebraska is the only triple land-locked state.

In 1866, Liechtenstein sent 80 troops to guard a pass between Austria and Italy. They came back with 81, having made a friend.

The earliest permutation of dice was the ankle bone of an ungulate (sheep, oxen)
Some flowering plants have photoreceptor proteins And thus can sense light and the absence of, as well as how long it has been since dawn or dusk. They use this knowledge to know when to flower.

Magenta isn't real. Someone else has already mentioned Stygian Blue and others, but magenta isn't real!!!

Bread first existed as beer-ingredient storage. That's right, beer came first.

Nebraska has a Navy Admiral. Nebraska is the only triple land-locked state.

In 1866, Liechtenstein sent 80 troops to guard a pass between Austria and Italy. They came back with 81, having made a friend.

The earliest permutation of dice was the ankle bone of an ungulate (sheep, oxen)
66946966.png

v2PJF9u.png
WkCEhwX.png
LRdLP2V.png

Gene Wishlist
Apparel Wishlist

'sugar makes you hyperactive' is a myth!! while there may someday be a connection found, as science and the way we look at things constantly evolves, there currently isn't proof that it does. it's based on a single study on children being 'more well-behaved' when not given sugar and no study on the subject has come to the same conclusion.

(though if you ask me i think perhaps there's something to do with the rewards center, it exciting you, etc? plus your body naturally wants sugar, as it does with salt, which is why people become hooked on savory and sweet foods, so maybe there's a connection there)
'sugar makes you hyperactive' is a myth!! while there may someday be a connection found, as science and the way we look at things constantly evolves, there currently isn't proof that it does. it's based on a single study on children being 'more well-behaved' when not given sugar and no study on the subject has come to the same conclusion.

(though if you ask me i think perhaps there's something to do with the rewards center, it exciting you, etc? plus your body naturally wants sugar, as it does with salt, which is why people become hooked on savory and sweet foods, so maybe there's a connection there)
tumblr_inline_p81uu62GDV1tsrqpm_75sq.gif
> he/they, 21, fr+3
> mfw accidentally deleted nice sig code
These facts are so wonderful! Keep up the good work, guys!
These facts are so wonderful! Keep up the good work, guys!
Yo
Not quite sure if these are fun facts, they're mainly just things I thought were interesting. I'll try to add more if I can think of any

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words and is considered a social phobia

Chronophobia is the fear of time and is related to chronomentrophobia which is basically the fear of clocks

In the music video for Social Climb by IdkHow, there is a phone number at the end with the text "We want you to follow along" above it. The number was something called Harvard sentences which is a set of phonetically based sentences that were used to test audio. According to an interview, the reason Dallon put it at the end was because a few of the lines kinda fit the theme of the song and video as well as fitting in with the aesthetic of the band in general

The vocaloid Oliver was originally supposed to called Cody. He was also supposed to have scars instead of bandages but they decided to stick with bandages to keep his cute appeal

Fukase is the first bilingual v4 to be released (excluding updates) and the first bilingual vocaloid by Yamaha. He is also one of the only vocaloids who have the same name as their voice provider

Ants can misinterpret chemical trails left by other ants and so they start to walk in circles. Other ants end up joining in this spiral and they will keep going around in circles until they’ve died of exhaustion. This is known as an ant mill and it can kill an entire colony of ants
Not quite sure if these are fun facts, they're mainly just things I thought were interesting. I'll try to add more if I can think of any

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words and is considered a social phobia

Chronophobia is the fear of time and is related to chronomentrophobia which is basically the fear of clocks

In the music video for Social Climb by IdkHow, there is a phone number at the end with the text "We want you to follow along" above it. The number was something called Harvard sentences which is a set of phonetically based sentences that were used to test audio. According to an interview, the reason Dallon put it at the end was because a few of the lines kinda fit the theme of the song and video as well as fitting in with the aesthetic of the band in general

The vocaloid Oliver was originally supposed to called Cody. He was also supposed to have scars instead of bandages but they decided to stick with bandages to keep his cute appeal

Fukase is the first bilingual v4 to be released (excluding updates) and the first bilingual vocaloid by Yamaha. He is also one of the only vocaloids who have the same name as their voice provider

Ants can misinterpret chemical trails left by other ants and so they start to walk in circles. Other ants end up joining in this spiral and they will keep going around in circles until they’ve died of exhaustion. This is known as an ant mill and it can kill an entire colony of ants
Amidst the mists and fiercest frosts
With barest wrists, and stoutest boasts
He thrusts his fists against the posts
And still insists he sees the ghosts
The first product to ever be purchased via barcode scanning was a pack of Juicy Fruit chewing gum.

The .net generic top-level domain was originally created for network infrastructure companies and ISPs to use, but those restrictions were never enforced, and it became a popular alternative to the .com gTLD.

Wild Quaker parrots have been observed "naming" their children. Mother parrots will produce a unique sound with which to identify each child. When these children grow up, they give their children similar (but not identical) sound-names to their own.
The first product to ever be purchased via barcode scanning was a pack of Juicy Fruit chewing gum.

The .net generic top-level domain was originally created for network infrastructure companies and ISPs to use, but those restrictions were never enforced, and it became a popular alternative to the .com gTLD.

Wild Quaker parrots have been observed "naming" their children. Mother parrots will produce a unique sound with which to identify each child. When these children grow up, they give their children similar (but not identical) sound-names to their own.
when you eat pineapple the pineapple eats you! pineapple has the same enzyme that your stomach does to break down meats so that tingle you feel when eating pineapple is it trying to digest you
when you eat pineapple the pineapple eats you! pineapple has the same enzyme that your stomach does to break down meats so that tingle you feel when eating pineapple is it trying to digest you
9VeMQMB.png
There was a product during prohibition called Grape Bricks that were made by a wine maker. Basically because he couldn't sell actual wine, he would create a brick with all the ingredients to make wine and all you would have to do is dissolve it in water. On the packaging it would say like "don't mix with water and leave sit for x amount of days because it will turn into wine."
There was a product during prohibition called Grape Bricks that were made by a wine maker. Basically because he couldn't sell actual wine, he would create a brick with all the ingredients to make wine and all you would have to do is dissolve it in water. On the packaging it would say like "don't mix with water and leave sit for x amount of days because it will turn into wine."
XNoIih6.png She/Her
[img][/img]40n8dm.gif
Bismuth, element 83, is widely considered the last stable (non-radioactive) element on the periodic table. However, this technically isn't true! The most stable form of bismuth, bismuth-209 is actually radioactive, with a half-life (how long it takes for half of the element to be used up) of approximately 1.9*10^19 (around 19,000,000,000,000,000,000) years, which is over a billion times longer than the age of the universe. So, for all practical purposes, bismuth is stable

Is that interesting? I find it interesting, hopefully I'm not the only one...
Bismuth, element 83, is widely considered the last stable (non-radioactive) element on the periodic table. However, this technically isn't true! The most stable form of bismuth, bismuth-209 is actually radioactive, with a half-life (how long it takes for half of the element to be used up) of approximately 1.9*10^19 (around 19,000,000,000,000,000,000) years, which is over a billion times longer than the age of the universe. So, for all practical purposes, bismuth is stable

Is that interesting? I find it interesting, hopefully I'm not the only one...
[insert clever and witty comment here]

hey, come check out my fandragons :3
xH2YfAb.png C0YtY9S.gif q9EEy5M.png
FObX7rS.png
I7a1ndF.png
XmHV7tO.png
LRdLP2V.png
2VtxnMX.png
in 2007 scientists sent a cockroach named Nadezhda into space! she is the first terrestrial being to conceive in space, and had 33 babies when she returned to earth.(and then those babies went on to have perfectly normal babies! Nadezhda is a grandma and i love her)

the weightlessness of space only had a small impact on the roach, just some slight lethargy, but she recovered from her trip pretty fast! her babies exoskeleton matured a bit faster than the usual roach, but were otherwise totally normal.
:>

in 2007 scientists sent a cockroach named Nadezhda into space! she is the first terrestrial being to conceive in space, and had 33 babies when she returned to earth.(and then those babies went on to have perfectly normal babies! Nadezhda is a grandma and i love her)

the weightlessness of space only had a small impact on the roach, just some slight lethargy, but she recovered from her trip pretty fast! her babies exoskeleton matured a bit faster than the usual roach, but were otherwise totally normal.
:>

dcprkry-6f227d16-78cf-4c0b-a85b-c510e6411384.png
skek | they/them | 24
the ghost with the most
tumblr_inline_psj27ukX3O1tc3swm_75sq.png
x
dcprhsf-50b03a4f-3549-4ad5-bcb0-35bf6e5b050d.png
[quote name="CrazyKittyCat" date="2020-08-06 16:38:39" ] There was a product during prohibition called Grape Bricks that were made by a wine maker. Basically because he couldn't sell actual wine, he would create a brick with all the ingredients to make wine and all you would have to do is dissolve it in water. On the packaging it would say like "don't mix with water and leave sit for x amount of days because it will turn into wine." [/quote] another fact about wine.. an old world way to clarify wine is with egg whites.. the impurities would adhere to the egg whites and they would filter it out of the wine.. it was called 'fining'
CrazyKittyCat wrote on 2020-08-06 16:38:39:

another fact about wine.. an old world way to clarify wine is with egg whites.. the impurities would adhere to the egg whites and they would filter it out of the wine.. it was called 'fining'
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9