Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [BSJ 2020] A Wandering Journey
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
@lyricalmyxteries Sorry, late thought: Is there going to still be an option for only hosting? I'm more than a little anxious about sending a Dragon of my own out.
@lyricalmyxteries Sorry, late thought: Is there going to still be an option for only hosting? I'm more than a little anxious about sending a Dragon of my own out.
8Lpal06.gif
@BlueStopSigns

For what it's worth, I was nervous too, because the two I sent out were my very precious Coli babies, and valuable to me for more than just price. (Elims aside, which one of them had, and both G1 etc.) but it's worked out well, @lyricalmyxteries was very helpful answering all my questions and allayed my concerns. Also, apparently this program has been run as a concept before? There is a thread from last year I think? And I guess it worked out, as far as I know, everyone got everyone back. ^_^
But regardless, whatever you feel comfortable with, that's what you do! ;)

I am actually glad to hear that you only hosted, as that helps the project, to have hosts only as well as those who do both. As you are aware, the amount of effort is not obvious on the outset, or I felt that way, but having enough people to space things out makes it easier? That's my opinion of course. I am sure there are some who wanted more.
(I know couldn't have handled that this year, so my extremely impressed face is turned towards those of you who had multiple dragons for every day of the week. You know who you are, heck, we ALL do! My hat goes off for your clearly superior skills in this matter!)

And yes, that means you have a different view, which does help!

I am pulling my experience from a program I helped run/organize, which involved arranging for international school travelers to stay with host families. SO! MUCH! PAPERWORK! And so much troubleshooting during the event too, but only sometimes!
(But SO worth it, for the same reason this is worth it, we all get to have some wonderful experiences, and we walk away with more connections, inspirations, memories, and things we'd not have/know about otherwise.)
I think it's one of the reasons I loved this so much, I am predisposed to enjoy these kinds of things. XD
@BlueStopSigns

For what it's worth, I was nervous too, because the two I sent out were my very precious Coli babies, and valuable to me for more than just price. (Elims aside, which one of them had, and both G1 etc.) but it's worked out well, @lyricalmyxteries was very helpful answering all my questions and allayed my concerns. Also, apparently this program has been run as a concept before? There is a thread from last year I think? And I guess it worked out, as far as I know, everyone got everyone back. ^_^
But regardless, whatever you feel comfortable with, that's what you do! ;)

I am actually glad to hear that you only hosted, as that helps the project, to have hosts only as well as those who do both. As you are aware, the amount of effort is not obvious on the outset, or I felt that way, but having enough people to space things out makes it easier? That's my opinion of course. I am sure there are some who wanted more.
(I know couldn't have handled that this year, so my extremely impressed face is turned towards those of you who had multiple dragons for every day of the week. You know who you are, heck, we ALL do! My hat goes off for your clearly superior skills in this matter!)

And yes, that means you have a different view, which does help!

I am pulling my experience from a program I helped run/organize, which involved arranging for international school travelers to stay with host families. SO! MUCH! PAPERWORK! And so much troubleshooting during the event too, but only sometimes!
(But SO worth it, for the same reason this is worth it, we all get to have some wonderful experiences, and we walk away with more connections, inspirations, memories, and things we'd not have/know about otherwise.)
I think it's one of the reasons I loved this so much, I am predisposed to enjoy these kinds of things. XD
@lyricalmyxteries
Thank you so much for running this event!! I had fun though I think I might've been a little burnt out to begin with, when it came to writing for other dragons so I didn't like my writing much...- However, I really enjoyed reading Freyr's journey and got a bit inspired for future lore of his!
(Though I did find his bio to be a bit cluttered so I moved it to a forum post and linked it in his new bio ^_^')

If I remember, I'll add some feedback tomorrow! Once again, thank you! And thank you to all the people hosted Freyr as well!
@lyricalmyxteries
Thank you so much for running this event!! I had fun though I think I might've been a little burnt out to begin with, when it came to writing for other dragons so I didn't like my writing much...- However, I really enjoyed reading Freyr's journey and got a bit inspired for future lore of his!
(Though I did find his bio to be a bit cluttered so I moved it to a forum post and linked it in his new bio ^_^')

If I remember, I'll add some feedback tomorrow! Once again, thank you! And thank you to all the people hosted Freyr as well!
52030.png
101.png
» Soulthreads
wishlist
dragons for sale
X
X
x
ed6b66583d31e626062d0eb47937ce359a118f7e.png
@JayKatt
Added!

@BlueStopSigns
There will be an option to only host, that's not changing

@Starphire
How does this sound? You have to host 2 (or 3? though some people just might not have the time for it) dragons minimum during the week, still keeping the 2 dragons per user cap. Or I could do if you send dragons (1 or 2) you must host at least 3 dragons during the week? Which would be better?

There were 7 users in total that only hosted.

I was thinking about adding that or something similar next year. I'll make a note to include backup/extras!

If anyone has changes to suggest about dragon bios I'm open to hearing them too!
@JayKatt
Added!

@BlueStopSigns
There will be an option to only host, that's not changing

@Starphire
How does this sound? You have to host 2 (or 3? though some people just might not have the time for it) dragons minimum during the week, still keeping the 2 dragons per user cap. Or I could do if you send dragons (1 or 2) you must host at least 3 dragons during the week? Which would be better?

There were 7 users in total that only hosted.

I was thinking about adding that or something similar next year. I'll make a note to include backup/extras!

If anyone has changes to suggest about dragon bios I'm open to hearing them too!
.. ..
0updeWQ.png
... ... ... ...
o717-d01-lyricalmyxteries.pngo717-d02-lyricalmyxteries.pngo717-d03-lyricalmyxteries.pngo717-d04-lyricalmyxteries.pngo717-d05-lyricalmyxteries.png
@lyricalmyxteries

Two minimum is probably more realistic for some people, especially first timers!
I know I had WAY more time to be online this week than I normally do this time of year, so for me it was an anomaly. Three minimum seems like a stretch to me, but that's just a personal thing, and others were doing well with it. So two min. for first timers? And then three min. for returning players? Would that make sense?
And definitely have a three dragon min. if two dragons are going out. That seems pretty fair, considering the dragons are gone for a week each. (Would it be too crazy with scheduling to do a half week for some dragons? That way they take less hosts up for the whole time, and still get journeys? Or do you think that would either make scheduling too crazy, or short change the dragons?)

Everyone else, please pitch in if you think I'm off or on about the numbers! I'd love to get a better feel for how more people felt about this! I can only speak from my view, which may be a more conservative one in regards to dragons who visit!

And one of the things that might help would be setting the schedule up further in advance, as for me, a first timer using code in bios, and just grasping the ideas, getting all my dragon's people linked in took hours, and mistakes, and such, on the day before he had to get shipped out. I am SO much better at it after this week though! Suuuuper excited about that by the way, cool side perk to walk away with!

Oh! And the bio template was AWESOMENESS so please keep that concept, if not the same one? It was really useful! (And helped me learn the coding part, no joke! I kept breaking it and having to go fix what I broke!)

So on a planning note, how far in advance did the signups or notice about this event go out? Would it make sense to create a thread for that soon, and have it collect interest posts for a while? You had a form to fill out, how crazy would it be to do another one as a precursor so there is some idea about general interest and participation? (Not sure that's a thing anyone wants to watch for a year, but if it could quietly fill into a spreadsheet for the next 8 months, that could become a ping list later, and give some idea about what is needed more of, travelers or hosts.)

I have too many ideas! Hope some of it is helpful!
@lyricalmyxteries

Two minimum is probably more realistic for some people, especially first timers!
I know I had WAY more time to be online this week than I normally do this time of year, so for me it was an anomaly. Three minimum seems like a stretch to me, but that's just a personal thing, and others were doing well with it. So two min. for first timers? And then three min. for returning players? Would that make sense?
And definitely have a three dragon min. if two dragons are going out. That seems pretty fair, considering the dragons are gone for a week each. (Would it be too crazy with scheduling to do a half week for some dragons? That way they take less hosts up for the whole time, and still get journeys? Or do you think that would either make scheduling too crazy, or short change the dragons?)

Everyone else, please pitch in if you think I'm off or on about the numbers! I'd love to get a better feel for how more people felt about this! I can only speak from my view, which may be a more conservative one in regards to dragons who visit!

And one of the things that might help would be setting the schedule up further in advance, as for me, a first timer using code in bios, and just grasping the ideas, getting all my dragon's people linked in took hours, and mistakes, and such, on the day before he had to get shipped out. I am SO much better at it after this week though! Suuuuper excited about that by the way, cool side perk to walk away with!

Oh! And the bio template was AWESOMENESS so please keep that concept, if not the same one? It was really useful! (And helped me learn the coding part, no joke! I kept breaking it and having to go fix what I broke!)

So on a planning note, how far in advance did the signups or notice about this event go out? Would it make sense to create a thread for that soon, and have it collect interest posts for a while? You had a form to fill out, how crazy would it be to do another one as a precursor so there is some idea about general interest and participation? (Not sure that's a thing anyone wants to watch for a year, but if it could quietly fill into a spreadsheet for the next 8 months, that could become a ping list later, and give some idea about what is needed more of, travelers or hosts.)

I have too many ideas! Hope some of it is helpful!
@lyricalmyxteries Hopping in a little late with my feedback--

I was a first-timer to traveling dragons for this event, but already in the habit of writing every day which was definitely a huge help, I just switched to writing for dragons during my normal time that week. And even though I was already used to writing I wasn't used to coming up with a new idea for every day, so that took up extra mental energy. Having a few optional prompts seems like a good idea there.

I'm not a particularly fast writer so it usually took me an hour or two to get something I was satisfied with and felt "done" (though some of that was fiddling with extra coding/finding graphics, which sometimes took me even longer). For folks who are new to traveling dragons and/or daily writing that could be an even bigger time commitment, so it seems reasonable to add a rule that first-timers can sign up to host max one dragon a day? Maybe with an option to include themselves on a list of emergency hosts if there is one so they have a chance to do more but can turn it down if they find out it'd be too much.

I like the idea that anyone who sends a dragon has to host at least a little; two days a week seems like a good minimum, especially when they can pick the days. Having a different minimum for non-first-timers seems like extra unnecessary complexity to me? But as a participant I wouldn't object. Having extra/emergency hosts next time seems like a great idea, especially since it turned out my favorite part was writing for my hosted dragons. (Even if I don't send a traveler next year I'll probably still want to host at least a couple times if rl allows.)

It seemed like there were a few issues this time with keeping dragons moving from host to host. (I went poking through all the travelers through the week having fun reading up on their journeys.) Maybe, next time, you could add a bit in the "During the Event" section emphasizing that if something unexpected comes up for a host and they just don't have time to write/contribute, just send the dragon on, maybe either to the next scheduled host or an emergency host depending on how early/late it is in the day. You could maybe include a couple lore-style "oops, sorry" lines the host could paste in just so there's something there, or a cute 404 doodle of some kind (like a lost dragon looking at a map?). (Welcome to grab my blurbs for that if you want.) Or if there's enough emergency hosts set up that might not be necessary, but maybe it would make rushed hosts feel better if there was something they could stick in even if it was just a placeholder.

Your bio layout was very nice though I wound up going with something slightly different to better match the rest of my dragons :) The line of links to each host for each day was SUPER helpful, much easier than going to the spreadsheet every day to figure out who to send the dragon on to, and the banner/badge giving a link to the thread was very useful too. I'm too used to playing with BBCode after this long on the site to be able to say whether it was easy for newbies or not; maybe based on someone else's comment, adding something like "DAY x USER PASTE LORE HERE" in the appropriate spots would help?

The unofficial "I can write for anybody's missed days" that's sprung up is awesome too, if it might be needed next time you could maybe make that official from the start? "Once the event is over, if your traveler has missed days you can contact people from this list to get them filled in" and "If you want to volunteer to provide extra days for dragons add your name to the list here," although that list would probably take some curating over the week as rl interferes/things come up/people find they will or won't be able to after all.

Oh wow that turned into a wall of text. In conclusion, I loved the event. Highlight of the fest for me, and took up most of my time and attention so I was glad there weren't that many others events running concurrently :D Very grateful to you for running it and especially for planning to do it again next year! You gave a lot of people a lot of fun, I hope you got a lot out of it yourself and thank you very much for working on how to make it even better :)
@lyricalmyxteries Hopping in a little late with my feedback--

I was a first-timer to traveling dragons for this event, but already in the habit of writing every day which was definitely a huge help, I just switched to writing for dragons during my normal time that week. And even though I was already used to writing I wasn't used to coming up with a new idea for every day, so that took up extra mental energy. Having a few optional prompts seems like a good idea there.

I'm not a particularly fast writer so it usually took me an hour or two to get something I was satisfied with and felt "done" (though some of that was fiddling with extra coding/finding graphics, which sometimes took me even longer). For folks who are new to traveling dragons and/or daily writing that could be an even bigger time commitment, so it seems reasonable to add a rule that first-timers can sign up to host max one dragon a day? Maybe with an option to include themselves on a list of emergency hosts if there is one so they have a chance to do more but can turn it down if they find out it'd be too much.

I like the idea that anyone who sends a dragon has to host at least a little; two days a week seems like a good minimum, especially when they can pick the days. Having a different minimum for non-first-timers seems like extra unnecessary complexity to me? But as a participant I wouldn't object. Having extra/emergency hosts next time seems like a great idea, especially since it turned out my favorite part was writing for my hosted dragons. (Even if I don't send a traveler next year I'll probably still want to host at least a couple times if rl allows.)

It seemed like there were a few issues this time with keeping dragons moving from host to host. (I went poking through all the travelers through the week having fun reading up on their journeys.) Maybe, next time, you could add a bit in the "During the Event" section emphasizing that if something unexpected comes up for a host and they just don't have time to write/contribute, just send the dragon on, maybe either to the next scheduled host or an emergency host depending on how early/late it is in the day. You could maybe include a couple lore-style "oops, sorry" lines the host could paste in just so there's something there, or a cute 404 doodle of some kind (like a lost dragon looking at a map?). (Welcome to grab my blurbs for that if you want.) Or if there's enough emergency hosts set up that might not be necessary, but maybe it would make rushed hosts feel better if there was something they could stick in even if it was just a placeholder.

Your bio layout was very nice though I wound up going with something slightly different to better match the rest of my dragons :) The line of links to each host for each day was SUPER helpful, much easier than going to the spreadsheet every day to figure out who to send the dragon on to, and the banner/badge giving a link to the thread was very useful too. I'm too used to playing with BBCode after this long on the site to be able to say whether it was easy for newbies or not; maybe based on someone else's comment, adding something like "DAY x USER PASTE LORE HERE" in the appropriate spots would help?

The unofficial "I can write for anybody's missed days" that's sprung up is awesome too, if it might be needed next time you could maybe make that official from the start? "Once the event is over, if your traveler has missed days you can contact people from this list to get them filled in" and "If you want to volunteer to provide extra days for dragons add your name to the list here," although that list would probably take some curating over the week as rl interferes/things come up/people find they will or won't be able to after all.

Oh wow that turned into a wall of text. In conclusion, I loved the event. Highlight of the fest for me, and took up most of my time and attention so I was glad there weren't that many others events running concurrently :D Very grateful to you for running it and especially for planning to do it again next year! You gave a lot of people a lot of fun, I hope you got a lot out of it yourself and thank you very much for working on how to make it even better :)
cloudbear familiar adopt (links to free resource)why does align right not work fit fit fit fit fit okHobbes dragon plushie (links to breeding pairs)
@lyricalmyxteries

I've been hearing fab things about this event! I'd wanted to sign up this year but stuff got in the way. Could you add me to the pinglist for next year, please?
@lyricalmyxteries

I've been hearing fab things about this event! I'd wanted to sign up this year but stuff got in the way. Could you add me to the pinglist for next year, please?
tumblr_inline_ojq6kuB42C1r2ao8y_540.png tumblr_inline_ojq6kzsCn91r2ao8y_540.png tumblr_inline_ojq6kxC8Rm1r2ao8y_540.png x0iVMgw.png
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15