Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | In need of book suggestions!
1 2 3 4 5 6
The Sword of Truth series and the Wheel of Time! Forewarning, they aren't really... casual reading. They have about 13 books each with about 1000 pages and the smallest print you will see. And they do get boring in the middle. Keep going. Trust me.
The Sword of Truth series and the Wheel of Time! Forewarning, they aren't really... casual reading. They have about 13 books each with about 1000 pages and the smallest print you will see. And they do get boring in the middle. Keep going. Trust me.
fguisa.png
................e0gVkz3.png ................. 5hF3FGk.png
................. xj6Mn2e.png
................. CISPrku.png
................. etYYz4O.png
@cyradis
Bless. But ahhhh yes I started the Belgariad in high school and never finished because my library was missing Magician's Gambit, then finally ran across the series again when one of my coworkers started bringing them in. Have you read the rest of his books? I'm curious as to whether I should pick up the Dreamers series as well.
@cyradis
Bless. But ahhhh yes I started the Belgariad in high school and never finished because my library was missing Magician's Gambit, then finally ran across the series again when one of my coworkers started bringing them in. Have you read the rest of his books? I'm curious as to whether I should pick up the Dreamers series as well.

Call me Idris. Pronouns are ne/nem/nir!
@sciencings The Dreamers is one of the series I always mean to pick up but never seem to get around to. Now that you mention it, I think I'll take a spin through it! I may report back. ;)

ETA: Not that you're short of recommendations, but if you like dizzyingly convoluted space opera sci fi, Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy (beginning with the Reality Dysfunction) is top notch.
@sciencings The Dreamers is one of the series I always mean to pick up but never seem to get around to. Now that you mention it, I think I'll take a spin through it! I may report back. ;)

ETA: Not that you're short of recommendations, but if you like dizzyingly convoluted space opera sci fi, Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy (beginning with the Reality Dysfunction) is top notch.
@shinyswablu
I'm almost positive I picked the Sword of Truth books up at some point, and then accidentally skipped a book in the middle somewhere and got very confused. Might be time to give them another (more coordinated) shot.
@shinyswablu
I'm almost positive I picked the Sword of Truth books up at some point, and then accidentally skipped a book in the middle somewhere and got very confused. Might be time to give them another (more coordinated) shot.

@cyradis
I will await your report! It looks interesting, and I do definitely like what I've read of his so far, but I'd be interested to know if it follows the same high fantasy epic team-up sort of plot that his other series have. If so I'll want to read something else in between.

Edit: Dizzyingly convoluted space opera sounds like a genre that I need to read so much more of. At this rate I'm going to be working on this list until about Christmas, and I don't mind at ALL.
@cyradis
I will await your report! It looks interesting, and I do definitely like what I've read of his so far, but I'd be interested to know if it follows the same high fantasy epic team-up sort of plot that his other series have. If so I'll want to read something else in between.

Edit: Dizzyingly convoluted space opera sounds like a genre that I need to read so much more of. At this rate I'm going to be working on this list until about Christmas, and I don't mind at ALL.

I really liked a series called Orphan Tales. Theres's two in the series, In the Night Garden & In the Cities of Coin & Spice. Its a bit like 1001 Nights, with the tales within tales storytelling. Surprisingly all of them get resolved between the two of them. There's also the Bartimaeus trilogy and its prequel. Good luck reaching your goal!
I really liked a series called Orphan Tales. Theres's two in the series, In the Night Garden & In the Cities of Coin & Spice. Its a bit like 1001 Nights, with the tales within tales storytelling. Surprisingly all of them get resolved between the two of them. There's also the Bartimaeus trilogy and its prequel. Good luck reaching your goal!
tumblr_inline_n71bciaF561r0hd3p.png
@sciencings

The Garth Nix series with the days of the week is the Keys to the Kingdom, I highly recommend finishing them up! And they're J so they're also a fairly easy read. I'm also reading the Ragwitch by him right now, which I'm digging. And he did another series, the Seventh Tower, which I also like. He's such an imaginative author; I love his world-building.

Have you read the Wool series yet, by chance?
@sciencings

The Garth Nix series with the days of the week is the Keys to the Kingdom, I highly recommend finishing them up! And they're J so they're also a fairly easy read. I'm also reading the Ragwitch by him right now, which I'm digging. And he did another series, the Seventh Tower, which I also like. He's such an imaginative author; I love his world-building.

Have you read the Wool series yet, by chance?
I don't think I saw it up, so I'll say Artemis Fowl series! A thinking persons book. You have to remember details back from the beginning to understand what's actually happening later. ^-^

Also, any book that's written by Eion Colfer are great. I just finished Screwed. He's a fantastic writer.
I don't think I saw it up, so I'll say Artemis Fowl series! A thinking persons book. You have to remember details back from the beginning to understand what's actually happening later. ^-^

Also, any book that's written by Eion Colfer are great. I just finished Screwed. He's a fantastic writer.
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
@timesnine I think I've heard of the Orphan Tales books, but I've never read them, so I'll have a look! I love the Bartimaeus trilogy. ^_^

@maggock Ahhhh yes that's the one! I think I made it through Thursday or so, but I don't remember much of it, so I'm gonna have to go back through it. I'm not sure I've read the Wool series, no, who is that one by?

@Amura I loved the Artemis Fowl books, but I don't think I've read any of the rest of his stuff, so thank you!
@timesnine I think I've heard of the Orphan Tales books, but I've never read them, so I'll have a look! I love the Bartimaeus trilogy. ^_^

@maggock Ahhhh yes that's the one! I think I made it through Thursday or so, but I don't remember much of it, so I'm gonna have to go back through it. I'm not sure I've read the Wool series, no, who is that one by?

@Amura I loved the Artemis Fowl books, but I don't think I've read any of the rest of his stuff, so thank you!

@sciencings

Wool is by Hugh Howey, and a bit unique in that it started out as a self-published series. I've read the first 3 (they're more like novellas) and really need to pick up the rest. I think they're all collected in one omnibus that can count as a book now.

Oh, and I just thought of Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. It's kind of like Watership Down, but with cats and magic. I've been meaning to reread that one for a while. His Otherland series is good too, but those books are BRICKS. (like, 800 pages on average)
@sciencings

Wool is by Hugh Howey, and a bit unique in that it started out as a self-published series. I've read the first 3 (they're more like novellas) and really need to pick up the rest. I think they're all collected in one omnibus that can count as a book now.

Oh, and I just thought of Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. It's kind of like Watership Down, but with cats and magic. I've been meaning to reread that one for a while. His Otherland series is good too, but those books are BRICKS. (like, 800 pages on average)
1 2 3 4 5 6