Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Too much negativity
1 2 3
Another thing: there's been a major break-down in communication over time between staff and the player base. There used to be words on the wind quarterly, and now I don't even remember the last time there was one. There used to be Q&A threads where staff would answer questions about how new breeds and apparel were coming along and what we could look forward to. The deities even used to occasionally talk in the forums! Now all we get is silence and the occasional drop of a new gene or apparel set, and there's usually at least one error even then. It's actually pretty upsetting to think about.
Another thing: there's been a major break-down in communication over time between staff and the player base. There used to be words on the wind quarterly, and now I don't even remember the last time there was one. There used to be Q&A threads where staff would answer questions about how new breeds and apparel were coming along and what we could look forward to. The deities even used to occasionally talk in the forums! Now all we get is silence and the occasional drop of a new gene or apparel set, and there's usually at least one error even then. It's actually pretty upsetting to think about.
> sasser
any pronouns
> accent shop
9TbvK.gifEwSCN.gif576zR.gif
TBH I feel like whenever there's a new update, FRD turns into a fancy restaurant with a dozen little kids in it...most people just want to relax, but get caught up in the middle when parents start screaming at each other about who's kid started a food fight. Doesn't matter so much, I think, if your kid started the grub-throwing contest, but if they participated. Now there's a mess for everyone to deal with, whether they like it or not.
TBH I feel like whenever there's a new update, FRD turns into a fancy restaurant with a dozen little kids in it...most people just want to relax, but get caught up in the middle when parents start screaming at each other about who's kid started a food fight. Doesn't matter so much, I think, if your kid started the grub-throwing contest, but if they participated. Now there's a mess for everyone to deal with, whether they like it or not.
the forums have seemed to get real hostile lately. constructive criticism is fine, being disappointing or not liking the new stuff is fine, but my problem is people being straight up rude towards each other. it's always people defending new stuff vs people who don't like it, and it's making the forums a less welcoming and peaceful place.

i don't have an opinion on any of the drama that's been around lately, but i just wish people would be more understanding of each other's opinions. the replies to this post further my point.
the forums have seemed to get real hostile lately. constructive criticism is fine, being disappointing or not liking the new stuff is fine, but my problem is people being straight up rude towards each other. it's always people defending new stuff vs people who don't like it, and it's making the forums a less welcoming and peaceful place.

i don't have an opinion on any of the drama that's been around lately, but i just wish people would be more understanding of each other's opinions. the replies to this post further my point.
gligar-f.gif genesect.gif mawile.gif
I'd be a bit short with people too if we got 2 rushed genes in a row. Their anger, disappointment and critique is justified.

Not to mention every single time the devs get complaints because of a (frankly lazy) gene there's always people making threads like 'stop being mean' or 'if you don't like it just don't buy it'. Maybe we actually want genes that we as a whole can use and appreciate instead of a minority?
I'd be a bit short with people too if we got 2 rushed genes in a row. Their anger, disappointment and critique is justified.

Not to mention every single time the devs get complaints because of a (frankly lazy) gene there's always people making threads like 'stop being mean' or 'if you don't like it just don't buy it'. Maybe we actually want genes that we as a whole can use and appreciate instead of a minority?
@pazoots hm i've seen far more posts suddenly attacking critics in a very chill thread where people were bein nice with their feedback so while there certainly are two sides to the issue it felt dishonest trying to present an equal two sides kinda situation

not sure about the misinterpretation part since the wording gave me a feeling of "you guys are makin a big deal out of nothing" esp with the understanding constructive criticism part

insults vs criticism is a big ol gradient and where the line is drawn is super subjective; i can come across mean to one person and blunt to another but i'm mostly miffed about the initial callout

crowd callout posts end up bringing in more drama and they're ultimately negative

edited: for spelling
@pazoots hm i've seen far more posts suddenly attacking critics in a very chill thread where people were bein nice with their feedback so while there certainly are two sides to the issue it felt dishonest trying to present an equal two sides kinda situation

not sure about the misinterpretation part since the wording gave me a feeling of "you guys are makin a big deal out of nothing" esp with the understanding constructive criticism part

insults vs criticism is a big ol gradient and where the line is drawn is super subjective; i can come across mean to one person and blunt to another but i'm mostly miffed about the initial callout

crowd callout posts end up bringing in more drama and they're ultimately negative

edited: for spelling
they/them
minor
fr time + 0
@MidnightFlygon @SwiftIsHere Please remember the community was much smaller and mature* back then, not to mention we didn't have open enrollment. This allowed the admin to converse and interact with us much more often. Its simply not possible anymore unfortunately.

*When I say mature, please don't take it personal. The old playerbase consisted of Kickstarter backers and players that have followed Neondragon's work for a while (with a few others). With an older audience, you're going to have a laid back atmosphere as everyone is respectful of each other.

There are more younger players on the site that come in with high expectations after hearing of the site's success. I've noticed these players are the most vocal now, charging up issues that weren't even considered back then. Legitimate issues can't be handled because they have to put out other fires.

@Sasser There were several events leading up to the "Eyepocalyspe". From the latest vitrol I've seen on the forums, it truly was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

@MidnightFlygon @SwiftIsHere Please remember the community was much smaller and mature* back then, not to mention we didn't have open enrollment. This allowed the admin to converse and interact with us much more often. Its simply not possible anymore unfortunately.

*When I say mature, please don't take it personal. The old playerbase consisted of Kickstarter backers and players that have followed Neondragon's work for a while (with a few others). With an older audience, you're going to have a laid back atmosphere as everyone is respectful of each other.

There are more younger players on the site that come in with high expectations after hearing of the site's success. I've noticed these players are the most vocal now, charging up issues that weren't even considered back then. Legitimate issues can't be handled because they have to put out other fires.

@Sasser There were several events leading up to the "Eyepocalyspe". From the latest vitrol I've seen on the forums, it truly was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

[quote name="Sasser" date="2020-05-08 17:42:15" ] the eyepocalypse really jaded the population of FR at that point I think. A lot of the older players are quicker to call out what's been looking like a declining level of care for QC, especially as of late. At this point the older, jaded playerbase are watching the newer users defending staff so vehemently and placing them on a pedestal of "can do no wrong" like: [img]https://i.ucrazy.ru/files/pics/2016.01/1452512009_raznoobraznaya_2-17.jpeg[/img] [/quote] [color=#009E9B]This is pretty much it, yeah. Most of the frustration isn't coming from a place of wanting to look for fault in every new thing; from what I've seen of recent apparel releases and Fiona the response has been mostly positive, for example. It's coming from a place of remembering what the site used to be and seeing a visible, gradual decline take place over years, coupled with a newer fan-base who assumes that the quality of the site has always been like this. It hasn't, and that bodes poorly for the sites survival in the long run. The Eyepocalpse definitely kicked this off for sure, but there were other smaller indicators that were similarly shrugged off as just being minor mistakes and left to congeal to the point that fixing them now would do far more harm than good. Staff had promised to take into account playerbase opinion regarding things such as fixing errors and adding new content sooner and, while I'm glad they're tweaking Glowtail as a step in the right direction, they are frankly nowhere near as transparent as they were back during the first two years of site development. This can be attributed to the site having a much smaller user-base, but if I'm being honest the number of active online users hasn't grown significantly beyond what I remember in the early months of the site so much on a daily tally basis despite new accounts being made. I've said this elsewhere, but Flight Rising isn't just a bunch of artists getting together for a hobby, although I'm sure some of them still consider it that way. It is a company, an LLC, that provides jobs and is structured to make money through player investment. This isn't to say the staff aren't deserving of basic human respect and calling out specific artists and individuals over minor mistakes seems ludicrous, but players are allowed to expect at the bare minimum that their investment into the game is based on quality provided. Artist mistakes I can absolutely understand and excuse, especially if they are meeting a deadline. But quality control is everyone's responsibility, and a bigger part of that relies on open, clear communication with the community as a whole.
Sasser wrote on 2020-05-08 17:42:15:
the eyepocalypse really jaded the population of FR at that point I think. A lot of the older players are quicker to call out what's been looking like a declining level of care for QC, especially as of late. At this point the older, jaded playerbase are watching the newer users defending staff so vehemently and placing them on a pedestal of "can do no wrong" like:
1452512009_raznoobraznaya_2-17.jpeg
This is pretty much it, yeah. Most of the frustration isn't coming from a place of wanting to look for fault in every new thing; from what I've seen of recent apparel releases and Fiona the response has been mostly positive, for example. It's coming from a place of remembering what the site used to be and seeing a visible, gradual decline take place over years, coupled with a newer fan-base who assumes that the quality of the site has always been like this. It hasn't, and that bodes poorly for the sites survival in the long run.

The Eyepocalpse definitely kicked this off for sure, but there were other smaller indicators that were similarly shrugged off as just being minor mistakes and left to congeal to the point that fixing them now would do far more harm than good. Staff had promised to take into account playerbase opinion regarding things such as fixing errors and adding new content sooner and, while I'm glad they're tweaking Glowtail as a step in the right direction, they are frankly nowhere near as transparent as they were back during the first two years of site development. This can be attributed to the site having a much smaller user-base, but if I'm being honest the number of active online users hasn't grown significantly beyond what I remember in the early months of the site so much on a daily tally basis despite new accounts being made.

I've said this elsewhere, but Flight Rising isn't just a bunch of artists getting together for a hobby, although I'm sure some of them still consider it that way. It is a company, an LLC, that provides jobs and is structured to make money through player investment. This isn't to say the staff aren't deserving of basic human respect and calling out specific artists and individuals over minor mistakes seems ludicrous, but players are allowed to expect at the bare minimum that their investment into the game is based on quality provided. Artist mistakes I can absolutely understand and excuse, especially if they are meeting a deadline. But quality control is everyone's responsibility, and a bigger part of that relies on open, clear communication with the community as a whole.

“Denizens of the Volt-Lands”
She/They/He | FR Time +0
Sorry, but what does eyepocalypse mean? I'm assuming it's related to the BotE update? Scattersights, maybe?
Sorry, but what does eyepocalypse mean? I'm assuming it's related to the BotE update? Scattersights, maybe?
TVFeljP.png About Me
FR+0
@Diamondsnake the eye update with the scattersights yeah. A lot of people were very mad about the eyes suddenly changing colors for a lot of breeds and the scattersights being obtainable for only three days before being retired completely. It was the single biggest meltdown I've ever seen in the five and a half years I've been on this site.
@Diamondsnake the eye update with the scattersights yeah. A lot of people were very mad about the eyes suddenly changing colors for a lot of breeds and the scattersights being obtainable for only three days before being retired completely. It was the single biggest meltdown I've ever seen in the five and a half years I've been on this site.
> sasser
any pronouns
> accent shop
9TbvK.gifEwSCN.gif576zR.gif
[quote name="Diamondsnake" date="2020-05-08 18:04:07" ] Sorry, but what does eyepocalypse mean? I'm assuming it's related to the BotE update? Scattersights, maybe? [/quote] [color=#009E9B]Yes, the Eyepocalpse is a term used by individuals who had issue with the Scattersight release and how it was implemented.
Diamondsnake wrote on 2020-05-08 18:04:07:
Yes, the Eyepocalpse is a term used by individuals who had issue with the Scattersight release and how it was implemented.

“Denizens of the Volt-Lands”
She/They/He | FR Time +0
1 2 3