Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anyone play an instrument?
1 2 3 4 5
@Loyalties

Just popping in to say that I really enjoyed listening to Gamelan, thank you for sharing it! It instantly reminded me of one of my favorite Debussy works, the movement "Pagodes" from his work Estampes. I highly recommend you check it out if you haven't already! It also contains more traditionally eastern tonalities (mmm those pentatonic scales, iirc Debussy composed it after hearing a traditional Javanese gamelan performance) and is a delightful work to listen to.
@Loyalties

Just popping in to say that I really enjoyed listening to Gamelan, thank you for sharing it! It instantly reminded me of one of my favorite Debussy works, the movement "Pagodes" from his work Estampes. I highly recommend you check it out if you haven't already! It also contains more traditionally eastern tonalities (mmm those pentatonic scales, iirc Debussy composed it after hearing a traditional Javanese gamelan performance) and is a delightful work to listen to.
td9UiZS.png
@Ern

Oh yes, I've heard of that piece! Somehow, I'd forgotten what it sounded like after listening to a Debussy compilation one day while studying (and also for a presentation on Debussy, I think). Perhaps I'll pick it up once I clear out more free time for myself. Thank you for reminding me that it exists :D
@Ern

Oh yes, I've heard of that piece! Somehow, I'd forgotten what it sounded like after listening to a Debussy compilation one day while studying (and also for a presentation on Debussy, I think). Perhaps I'll pick it up once I clear out more free time for myself. Thank you for reminding me that it exists :D
vkXTSNP.png ##

- FR+10
- wishlist
I play the French horn! I’m about to start auditioning for colleges soon to be a music performance major, which basically entails a lot of orchestral excerpts and some classic solo pieces.
I just started working on Strauss Horn Concerto 2 a couple months ago but now it’s gotten pushed to the side because of the audition material I have to do. :/
I play the French horn! I’m about to start auditioning for colleges soon to be a music performance major, which basically entails a lot of orchestral excerpts and some classic solo pieces.
I just started working on Strauss Horn Concerto 2 a couple months ago but now it’s gotten pushed to the side because of the audition material I have to do. :/
UZIDWtE.png phryg
FR +0
they/them
linguist and language learner
sprite credit @Meese
I play 2 instruments.The piano and cello.[emoji=music note size=1]
I play 2 instruments.The piano and cello.
Violin! I've played for a few years, on and off at first but now a year and a half without long breaks. My A string snapped today though and all the shops I can get some are closed so I have to order it and that will take forever. T-T

I also learned the piano and started the clarinet (because for some reason I have three?!)but stopped.
Violin! I've played for a few years, on and off at first but now a year and a half without long breaks. My A string snapped today though and all the shops I can get some are closed so I have to order it and that will take forever. T-T

I also learned the piano and started the clarinet (because for some reason I have three?!)but stopped.
I've been playing the piano for nine years now. I have an amazing teacher, who has helped shape who I am as a person for almost as long. Piano is such an important part of my life; I'm so grateful that my parents didn't let me quit when I was little.

I lean towards excessive movement quite a bit. My music often sounds affected, because I move my shoulders a ton when they really shouldn't be moving at all. Because of that, Baroque music is a struggle. Classical, too.

One of the most calming pieces I've ever played is Bruyères by Debussy. I just started learning Andaluza by Granados, and it's quickly become one of my favorites. As for one I haven't played, but desperately want to someday, Drei Klavierstücke by Schubert is possibly my all time favorite.

Good luck with the ukelele! It's such a fun instrument; I hope it brings you some happiness during this quarantine.
I've been playing the piano for nine years now. I have an amazing teacher, who has helped shape who I am as a person for almost as long. Piano is such an important part of my life; I'm so grateful that my parents didn't let me quit when I was little.

I lean towards excessive movement quite a bit. My music often sounds affected, because I move my shoulders a ton when they really shouldn't be moving at all. Because of that, Baroque music is a struggle. Classical, too.

One of the most calming pieces I've ever played is Bruyères by Debussy. I just started learning Andaluza by Granados, and it's quickly become one of my favorites. As for one I haven't played, but desperately want to someday, Drei Klavierstücke by Schubert is possibly my all time favorite.

Good luck with the ukelele! It's such a fun instrument; I hope it brings you some happiness during this quarantine.
u94F7n8.png x x FObX7rS.png Pladge16.png
what's up, i'm goin to school for music education! i'm a flute player primarily but i started on piano, which i honestly don't really remember how to play that much anymore. i like playing baritone/euphonium but i'm not super great at it. it's honestly hard to keep motivated when i don't have a performance to look forward to, and many of mine (wgi finals, pit musical, spring concert) have been canceled. i've dabbled in very basic guitar but it's difficult! recently, i just watched phantom of the opera, and i plan on making an acapella video cover of me playing "all i ask of you" on flute, euphonium, and guitar!

@olivemylove good luck with your auditions! i did mine in february, but i am wondering, are your auditions online now due to the current events?

@okie you've gotten to play contra bass flute?? that's such a cool experience! what was that like and how did you get the chance to play one? the lowest flute i ever got the chance to play was alto flute.
what's up, i'm goin to school for music education! i'm a flute player primarily but i started on piano, which i honestly don't really remember how to play that much anymore. i like playing baritone/euphonium but i'm not super great at it. it's honestly hard to keep motivated when i don't have a performance to look forward to, and many of mine (wgi finals, pit musical, spring concert) have been canceled. i've dabbled in very basic guitar but it's difficult! recently, i just watched phantom of the opera, and i plan on making an acapella video cover of me playing "all i ask of you" on flute, euphonium, and guitar!

@olivemylove good luck with your auditions! i did mine in february, but i am wondering, are your auditions online now due to the current events?

@okie you've gotten to play contra bass flute?? that's such a cool experience! what was that like and how did you get the chance to play one? the lowest flute i ever got the chance to play was alto flute.
fKJwbdW.png
I play the flute! Most of all at least. It's a great instrument to play, especially for learning Final Fantasy music. :>

I can also play the ocarina, piano, bass guitar, and I kinda know the gist of playing the trombone. :> I am an overachiever.
I play the flute! Most of all at least. It's a great instrument to play, especially for learning Final Fantasy music. :>

I can also play the ocarina, piano, bass guitar, and I kinda know the gist of playing the trombone. :> I am an overachiever.
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
@Mynty I’m not sure yet! A lot of them have pre-screening auditions so that might be what happens with all of them? The nice thing is that I’ll be able to get a good recording and not get nervous!
@Mynty I’m not sure yet! A lot of them have pre-screening auditions so that might be what happens with all of them? The nice thing is that I’ll be able to get a good recording and not get nervous!
UZIDWtE.png phryg
FR +0
they/them
linguist and language learner
sprite credit @Meese
@Mynty It was amazing, I have extremely good air control and have always been best at playing the lowest notes on both the concert and alto flute. One day my band had a trip to go visit a professional orchestra and they had a contra Bass flute there. They told our director that he could play it if he wanted as it was sanitized but only one person could play it because they didn’t have any sanitizer available at the moment. He asked if I could instead as I was the most skilled at the lower octaves and he wasn’t a very skilled wind player. So I (as a high school freshman) got to play it for a demonstration and the orchestra director was impressed and invited me to learn and play it with them for a concert. Best experience of my life!
@Mynty It was amazing, I have extremely good air control and have always been best at playing the lowest notes on both the concert and alto flute. One day my band had a trip to go visit a professional orchestra and they had a contra Bass flute there. They told our director that he could play it if he wanted as it was sanitized but only one person could play it because they didn’t have any sanitizer available at the moment. He asked if I could instead as I was the most skilled at the lower octaves and he wasn’t a very skilled wind player. So I (as a high school freshman) got to play it for a demonstration and the orchestra director was impressed and invited me to learn and play it with them for a concert. Best experience of my life!
1 2 3 4 5