Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Looking for a SNES Game Name
1 2
Ok so family on a search for a SNES game and thought to throw it out. I would really like if you guys could help, or ask anyone you know who might know SNES games. Here is what my family has described:

Going to a world and you have to fight your way through to retrieve a vial that helps against a disease. Scene is flying onto the planet and going through a ravine, and all of a sudden you lose control of the ship and it turns around to show you whats coming at you then gain control again to fight. All in first person pov. No dialogue. Didnt have a brief period to test controls, immediate control and beginning game. About same release time as a Star Wars game (?). Time period 1990 to 2000 so nothing after that. Absolutely certain its SNES (tho look at other consoles and time periods just in case because I dont trust my familys memory)

Any and all help is appreciated ';w;
Ok so family on a search for a SNES game and thought to throw it out. I would really like if you guys could help, or ask anyone you know who might know SNES games. Here is what my family has described:

Going to a world and you have to fight your way through to retrieve a vial that helps against a disease. Scene is flying onto the planet and going through a ravine, and all of a sudden you lose control of the ship and it turns around to show you whats coming at you then gain control again to fight. All in first person pov. No dialogue. Didnt have a brief period to test controls, immediate control and beginning game. About same release time as a Star Wars game (?). Time period 1990 to 2000 so nothing after that. Absolutely certain its SNES (tho look at other consoles and time periods just in case because I dont trust my familys memory)

Any and all help is appreciated ';w;
Any idea of what genre it was? And what consoles did your family have around the time (just in case they are wrong)?
Any idea of what genre it was? And what consoles did your family have around the time (just in case they are wrong)?
mbximqP.gif e
mu6HvOF.gif Angora mu6HvOF.gif
she/her
frt +3
Ko6WpN8.gif
please ping me!

e mBQR9wk.png GmV8yPq.png
It was a shooter and it was apparently the only console they had
It was a shooter and it was apparently the only console they had
I'm looking and all I'm seeing are top-down or side-view auto-scrollers.
I'm looking and all I'm seeing are top-down or side-view auto-scrollers.
V8GfXRi.jpg
hmmm, can you give me the names of those so I can relay them back to my family?
hmmm, can you give me the names of those so I can relay them back to my family?
Most of the ones I'm finding that could maybe be it were only released on computer systems, but the single one that I think it really could be is Duke Nukem 3D? It was released on a bunch of platforms, just not the SNES though.

It came out early 1996, same year as Star Wars: Dark Forces on the playstation. The intro starts with the main character going back to earth with dialogue explaining what happened in the previous game, when suddenly the ship is hit presumably by aliens (while still in space, not a ravine though). It immediately cuts to him running around LA shooting down aliens. There's not a lot of story in the game, so not much text dialogue. There are a bunch of mutated humans and he swears to stop the aliens, but I couldn't find anything that flat out said "I'm going to heal/help them".

I went through the game's wikipedia page and watched a few minutes of gameplay on youtube just to see if it had the intro you described, so there could be more that I accidentally missed. Just be warned if you plan on searching it up that it is one of those games that gets pretty violent, so be careful if that's something that bothers you. But I hope this helps!
Most of the ones I'm finding that could maybe be it were only released on computer systems, but the single one that I think it really could be is Duke Nukem 3D? It was released on a bunch of platforms, just not the SNES though.

It came out early 1996, same year as Star Wars: Dark Forces on the playstation. The intro starts with the main character going back to earth with dialogue explaining what happened in the previous game, when suddenly the ship is hit presumably by aliens (while still in space, not a ravine though). It immediately cuts to him running around LA shooting down aliens. There's not a lot of story in the game, so not much text dialogue. There are a bunch of mutated humans and he swears to stop the aliens, but I couldn't find anything that flat out said "I'm going to heal/help them".

I went through the game's wikipedia page and watched a few minutes of gameplay on youtube just to see if it had the intro you described, so there could be more that I accidentally missed. Just be warned if you plan on searching it up that it is one of those games that gets pretty violent, so be careful if that's something that bothers you. But I hope this helps!
mbximqP.gif e
she/her
frt +3
Ko6WpN8.gif
please ping me!

Alright thank you! Imma go see if this matches up, as this does sound promising!!

EDIT: So the name Duke Nukem rang a bell, but wasnt it but in this overall style. They remember vividly that there was this part where your controls get switched to controlling a claw sort of machine. There was also a time where after losing your controls, you can get them back and shoot immediately to basically shoot your legs off.

Is it ok if I get the names of the PC games as well just in case?
Alright thank you! Imma go see if this matches up, as this does sound promising!!

EDIT: So the name Duke Nukem rang a bell, but wasnt it but in this overall style. They remember vividly that there was this part where your controls get switched to controlling a claw sort of machine. There was also a time where after losing your controls, you can get them back and shoot immediately to basically shoot your legs off.

Is it ok if I get the names of the PC games as well just in case?
Duke Nukem was pretty much my only solid lead, but based on what you said it sounds like something that might've used the Doom engine, or at least been super similar in terms of art direction and gameplay. So here's a few that are at least similar, with a brief idea of what they're about:

Doom, a game where the character is fighting off demonic entities in space on Mars, and later needs to fight them all off to protect earth. It was released on the SNES (1995).

Wolfenstein 3D, a game about a spy taking out nazis and if I'm not wrong there's a few enemies in mechs. No ships or crashing to earth though, no intro at all. It just throws you right into the action. It was also released on the SNES (1994).

Quake, a FPS that had zombie soldiers, gothic/medieval vibes, and a storyline about portals in space. The player needs to collect magic runes to unlock the end level. It was released on MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows (1996).

Heretic, evil wizards corrupt kings and armies making them mindless. Demonic themes, and the character must fight undead enemies and seal them off to prevent more infestation. Released on MS-DOS, Mac OS, and RISC OS (1996). It had an indirect sequel called Hexen.

Battle Clash, a game completely different then the others but worth a mention just in case. Everyone is in mechs and there's 1v1 battles to take over earth. There's no running around, more just moving the camera back and forth to follow the target. I only mention it because it's an FPS, it has a few forest/ravine environments, and the obvious mechs. A lot more cartoony then the others and feels like a kid's game. It was released on the SNES (1992).

If none of these are what you're looking for, see if they remember the kinds of enemies they were fighting so it would maybe narrow the possibilities? I've also only been looking at North American games, so if you're from Europe or another continent you may have games that weren't released over here!
Duke Nukem was pretty much my only solid lead, but based on what you said it sounds like something that might've used the Doom engine, or at least been super similar in terms of art direction and gameplay. So here's a few that are at least similar, with a brief idea of what they're about:

Doom, a game where the character is fighting off demonic entities in space on Mars, and later needs to fight them all off to protect earth. It was released on the SNES (1995).

Wolfenstein 3D, a game about a spy taking out nazis and if I'm not wrong there's a few enemies in mechs. No ships or crashing to earth though, no intro at all. It just throws you right into the action. It was also released on the SNES (1994).

Quake, a FPS that had zombie soldiers, gothic/medieval vibes, and a storyline about portals in space. The player needs to collect magic runes to unlock the end level. It was released on MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows (1996).

Heretic, evil wizards corrupt kings and armies making them mindless. Demonic themes, and the character must fight undead enemies and seal them off to prevent more infestation. Released on MS-DOS, Mac OS, and RISC OS (1996). It had an indirect sequel called Hexen.

Battle Clash, a game completely different then the others but worth a mention just in case. Everyone is in mechs and there's 1v1 battles to take over earth. There's no running around, more just moving the camera back and forth to follow the target. I only mention it because it's an FPS, it has a few forest/ravine environments, and the obvious mechs. A lot more cartoony then the others and feels like a kid's game. It was released on the SNES (1992).

If none of these are what you're looking for, see if they remember the kinds of enemies they were fighting so it would maybe narrow the possibilities? I've also only been looking at North American games, so if you're from Europe or another continent you may have games that weren't released over here!
mbximqP.gif e
she/her
frt +3
Ko6WpN8.gif
please ping me!

Ah thank you so so much! This has been more than helpful. We are in North America so these games would have lined up with us. Cant thank you enough for this help, and Ill run these by my family in case they do line up.

EDIT: Nope none of them rang a bell or looked similar, thank for looking though! One day my family will find this game fghfgh
Ah thank you so so much! This has been more than helpful. We are in North America so these games would have lined up with us. Cant thank you enough for this help, and Ill run these by my family in case they do line up.

EDIT: Nope none of them rang a bell or looked similar, thank for looking though! One day my family will find this game fghfgh
That's all I've got for right now, but I'll ask a few friends who are more into first person shooters than I am. I wonder if it's possible they're combining details from different games by accident? I say that knowing how my own family is when it comes to this stuff lol

The last thing off the top of my head is that it could have been a modded game, is it possible that someone in your family downloaded a mod and confused it with an actual game?
That's all I've got for right now, but I'll ask a few friends who are more into first person shooters than I am. I wonder if it's possible they're combining details from different games by accident? I say that knowing how my own family is when it comes to this stuff lol

The last thing off the top of my head is that it could have been a modded game, is it possible that someone in your family downloaded a mod and confused it with an actual game?
mbximqP.gif e
she/her
frt +3
Ko6WpN8.gif
please ping me!

1 2