Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | How to hold a giveaway/raffle?
Hey all!

Sorry if this is a terribly dumb question that's already been answered, but I legitimately don't know the logistics of picking random users amongst the forum responses to a topic.

Do I have to manually assign everyone a number and plug it all into random.org? (Which I really don't want to do, as that seems quite tedious!)

Or is there a more 21st century automated solution?

Thanks for your time~
Hey all!

Sorry if this is a terribly dumb question that's already been answered, but I legitimately don't know the logistics of picking random users amongst the forum responses to a topic.

Do I have to manually assign everyone a number and plug it all into random.org? (Which I really don't want to do, as that seems quite tedious!)

Or is there a more 21st century automated solution?

Thanks for your time~
9bu8tTE.pngD5OF5Gf.png
@Chienkaiba

Yes, it is tedious, especially if people can have more than one ticket and if you're tracking payments.

Automated solutions require things like having an open spreadsheet where people put in their username for each ticket. This requires doing things like checking to make sure all the names match up with payments (if any) and that nobody cheats by putting their name in more than once (if entry is limited).

Of course then you'd have to figure out how to verify that no names were removed.

The least amount of effort I've seen is for a free raffle limited to a single entry. The runner took the number of pages multiplied by 10 (post limit per page) and used that as the number to plug into random.org and when it spat out a number went the the appropriate post and gave them a prize.

Example:

12 pages in a thread. 120 used as the upper limit.

Runner went through all 12 pages to make sure nobody posted more than once.

Let's say 94 picked out of random.org means you go to page 9 and choose the 4th post.

If a post was not an actual entry it was skipped and the prize number was redrawn.

Other options are various polling sites but again you'll be collecting usernames and at the least dropping them into a spreadsheet to assign them numbers (assuming single entries only).

With multiple tickets per person it's all hand-logging. Using a script/bot on site is against the rules.

Hope this helps!
@Chienkaiba

Yes, it is tedious, especially if people can have more than one ticket and if you're tracking payments.

Automated solutions require things like having an open spreadsheet where people put in their username for each ticket. This requires doing things like checking to make sure all the names match up with payments (if any) and that nobody cheats by putting their name in more than once (if entry is limited).

Of course then you'd have to figure out how to verify that no names were removed.

The least amount of effort I've seen is for a free raffle limited to a single entry. The runner took the number of pages multiplied by 10 (post limit per page) and used that as the number to plug into random.org and when it spat out a number went the the appropriate post and gave them a prize.

Example:

12 pages in a thread. 120 used as the upper limit.

Runner went through all 12 pages to make sure nobody posted more than once.

Let's say 94 picked out of random.org means you go to page 9 and choose the 4th post.

If a post was not an actual entry it was skipped and the prize number was redrawn.

Other options are various polling sites but again you'll be collecting usernames and at the least dropping them into a spreadsheet to assign them numbers (assuming single entries only).

With multiple tickets per person it's all hand-logging. Using a script/bot on site is against the rules.

Hope this helps!
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@Nightwind

Thank you very much!!
@Nightwind

Thank you very much!!
9bu8tTE.pngD5OF5Gf.png