Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Outdated desc for Snowflake Urchin
1 2 3 4
[quote name="Kyotosora" date="2020-02-17 11:37:42" ] NO support, it's a joke. And UMAs should never be touched unless if they legit break the rules! [quote name="Aterna" date="2020-02-17 10:48:26" ] Oh here we go again. First it was the antlers, then it was the talons, and now it's urchins... sigh. We may as well just not have jokes on site anymore. No support. It's a joke. It's not meant to be taken so seriously, and I've almost never heard it used in this context against certain people. I've mostly ever heard it used towards entitled people. And even in other contexts There's nothing particularly offensive with it. [/quote] ^ Honestly this and everything else brought up in the thread :/ sure I'm not from an English speaking country, but we still use this joke to refer to entitled people, I have never heard nor seen it being used to target any other groups. [/quote] I have seen it used to target a specific group, but it is a political group and NOT a marginalized group. However, again, it is also mostly used to point out when someone is being self-entitled and acting like a brat.
Kyotosora wrote on 2020-02-17 11:37:42:
NO support, it's a joke. And UMAs should never be touched unless if they legit break the rules!
Aterna wrote on 2020-02-17 10:48:26:
Oh here we go again. First it was the antlers, then it was the talons, and now it's urchins... sigh. We may as well just not have jokes on site anymore.

No support. It's a joke. It's not meant to be taken so seriously, and I've almost never heard it used in this context against certain people. I've mostly ever heard it used towards entitled people. And even in other contexts There's nothing particularly offensive with it.

^ Honestly this and everything else brought up in the thread :/ sure I'm not from an English speaking country, but we still use this joke to refer to entitled people, I have never heard nor seen it being used to target any other groups.
I have seen it used to target a specific group, but it is a political group and NOT a marginalized group. However, again, it is also mostly used to point out when someone is being self-entitled and acting like a brat.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
don't be a snowflake.

no sup
don't be a snowflake.

no sup
Looking for some art for your dragons? click down below!

giphy.gif
Mmm, I'm a little wobbly on where I stand with this.

On the one hand, its primary and intended use for decades has been to call out people who think they're entitled to special grand treatment because of self-inflated egotistical non-reasons. On the other hand, certain deeply unpleasant groups of people have, in the last few years, weaponized it as something to throw against anyone with actual valid complaints seeking to have those complaints properly addressed, with those groups very often being marginalized or otherwise struggling people.

So while the first wave of emotion I have looking at this item is irritation that those deeply unpleasant groups of people have spoiled the in-real-life usage, it's swiftly followed by a second wave consisting of a mixture of fury and spite, in which I feel determined to leave this item as it is because I don't want to acknowledge those horrid people or agree to give the term over to them.

And that leaves me in a position where I can't for sure say one way or the other how I feel about this issue and only able to explain myself. Which I've now done, so *rides a conveniently placed horse into the sunset, I guess*
Mmm, I'm a little wobbly on where I stand with this.

On the one hand, its primary and intended use for decades has been to call out people who think they're entitled to special grand treatment because of self-inflated egotistical non-reasons. On the other hand, certain deeply unpleasant groups of people have, in the last few years, weaponized it as something to throw against anyone with actual valid complaints seeking to have those complaints properly addressed, with those groups very often being marginalized or otherwise struggling people.

So while the first wave of emotion I have looking at this item is irritation that those deeply unpleasant groups of people have spoiled the in-real-life usage, it's swiftly followed by a second wave consisting of a mixture of fury and spite, in which I feel determined to leave this item as it is because I don't want to acknowledge those horrid people or agree to give the term over to them.

And that leaves me in a position where I can't for sure say one way or the other how I feel about this issue and only able to explain myself. Which I've now done, so *rides a conveniently placed horse into the sunset, I guess*
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
I personally don't see any problem with the name "special snowflake". It's starting to remind me of how the author of My Hero Academia is being attacked over a character's birthday.
I personally don't see any problem with the name "special snowflake". It's starting to remind me of how the author of My Hero Academia is being attacked over a character's birthday.
Hey yall I'm back!
Cant tell if this is trolling or not.
Cant tell if this is trolling or not.
TOW2n3q.png
no support, it's not that deep sorry

It's already a slippery slope enough as is with people wanting to change this and that
no support, it's not that deep sorry

It's already a slippery slope enough as is with people wanting to change this and that
DVcXRyP.png
I actually very very rarely have ever heard it used on a "self entitled" person or whatever, I almost exclusively hear this term thrown at neurodivergent folks or trans folks.

That being said, like the edgy description thread from a few weeks ago, I'm not entirely sure if I want censorship to go that far.

I do think that this is a lot less of a stretch though... To the point I think changing it could at least be considered. I don't know if it's entirely appropriate here.
I actually very very rarely have ever heard it used on a "self entitled" person or whatever, I almost exclusively hear this term thrown at neurodivergent folks or trans folks.

That being said, like the edgy description thread from a few weeks ago, I'm not entirely sure if I want censorship to go that far.

I do think that this is a lot less of a stretch though... To the point I think changing it could at least be considered. I don't know if it's entirely appropriate here.
AbwaPSg.png
xxxxx xrdZoYH.pngOxagJgG.pngmxZJBlR.png
Q0p4QGz.png1j2YGao.pngLvsm6NG.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dEo6ta2.png
nWiQNX9.png
I think you're mixing up "special snowflake" and just "snowflake".

"Special snowflake" is a rude insult, yes, but it's not the same. Special Snowflake refers to the idea that no two snowflakes are the same, ie: "You think you're better than everyone else, aren't you a special snowflake."

"Snowflake" is the derogatory term you're thinking of. It gained popularity in far-right groups to insult the perceived 'fragility' of marginalized groups -- some say it refers to the ash of cremated bodies during the Holocaust, but I can't speak on the validity of that.

"Special snowflake" is a rude insult, yes, but it's not the same. Special Snowflake refers to the idea that no two snowflakes are the same, ie: "You think you're better than everyone else, aren't you a special snowflake."

"Snowflake" is the derogatory term you're thinking of. It gained popularity in far-right groups to insult the perceived 'fragility' of marginalized groups -- some say it refers to the ash of cremated bodies during the Holocaust, but I can't speak on the validity of that.

qZ7AMuJ.png

Custom Moodboards
Great quality and image sources!

qZ7AMuJ.png
[quote name="Wakor" date="2020-02-26 06:28:35" ] I think you're mixing up "special snowflake" and just "snowflake". "Special snowflake" is a rude insult, yes, but it's not the same. Special Snowflake refers to the idea that no two snowflakes are the same, ie: "You think you're better than everyone else, aren't you a special snowflake." "Snowflake" is the derogatory term you're thinking of. It gained popularity in far-right groups to insult the perceived 'fragility' of marginalized groups -- some say it refers to the ash of cremated bodies during the Holocaust, but I can't speak on the validity of that. [/quote] W... What They're the same thing. It's the same term being used for the same reasons. It gets directed at marginalized folks in a "You're just making stuff up to seem different and special" kind of way. That's how I've always heard both of those terms used. They're the same thing with a word left out for ease. Just look at the use in a sentence you provided for special snowflake and tell me that isn't exactly what bigoted folks using that term are thinking. I'm sure special snowflake has uses outside of that but its not a completely separate thing either..? Like I know it hasn't always been so bad but its popularity for that lately gives it a bad taste that's a little jarring on a random item description. The uma skin I don't think should have a name alteration since it looks like it was just a matter of "term that involves snowflakes", the urchin description is a bit.. Eh. I don't think changing a single item description and altering a tomo question slightly would kill anyone. ("You probably shouldn't catch this snowflake on your tongue" could be amusing. THERES SO MANY MORE BAD SNOWFLAKE SEA URCHIN JOKES. "Luckily they don't melt" "Easy enough to deal with, just don't get caught in a blizzard" "Don't eat the yellow ones") I'm on the fence because I don't like censorship very much at all, but I'm also aware that this is a pet site for teenagers that has trans characters so I'm not entirely sure, with its usual modern uses, that its an entirely appropriate joke
Wakor wrote on 2020-02-26 06:28:35:

W... What

They're the same thing. It's the same term being used for the same reasons. It gets directed at marginalized folks in a "You're just making stuff up to seem different and special" kind of way. That's how I've always heard both of those terms used. They're the same thing with a word left out for ease.

Just look at the use in a sentence you provided for special snowflake and tell me that isn't exactly what bigoted folks using that term are thinking.

I'm sure special snowflake has uses outside of that but its not a completely separate thing either..?

Like I know it hasn't always been so bad but its popularity for that lately gives it a bad taste that's a little jarring on a random item description.

The uma skin I don't think should have a name alteration since it looks like it was just a matter of "term that involves snowflakes", the urchin description is a bit.. Eh.

I don't think changing a single item description and altering a tomo question slightly would kill anyone. ("You probably shouldn't catch this snowflake on your tongue" could be amusing. THERES SO MANY MORE BAD SNOWFLAKE SEA URCHIN JOKES. "Luckily they don't melt" "Easy enough to deal with, just don't get caught in a blizzard" "Don't eat the yellow ones")

I'm on the fence because I don't like censorship very much at all, but I'm also aware that this is a pet site for teenagers that has trans characters so I'm not entirely sure, with its usual modern uses, that its an entirely appropriate joke
AbwaPSg.png
xxxxx xrdZoYH.pngOxagJgG.pngmxZJBlR.png
Q0p4QGz.png1j2YGao.pngLvsm6NG.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dEo6ta2.png
nWiQNX9.png
This literally just isn’t an issue. It’s a harmless joke if there even is one there, and otherwise I’m sure most people don’t care or notice. I don’t think I’ve read this tooltip even once before this post, same for the accent.

No support.
This literally just isn’t an issue. It’s a harmless joke if there even is one there, and otherwise I’m sure most people don’t care or notice. I don’t think I’ve read this tooltip even once before this post, same for the accent.

No support.
1 2 3 4