Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Fade & Blend Highlight Colors
1 2 3
Updated, with half of the color wheel now complete!
Updated, with half of the color wheel now complete!
eZCszQ2.png1GLQpTC.pngV4alZnn.png
Updated, 75% complete! [emoji=coatl laughing size=2]
Updated, 75% complete!
Almost forgot to finish up!

And with the last edit, 100% of the Fade/Blend matching colors are now complete!
Almost forgot to finish up!

And with the last edit, 100% of the Fade/Blend matching colors are now complete!
THIS IS SO COOL

i love some of the jade matchups. i'll really need to get myself one of them sometime
THIS IS SO COOL

i love some of the jade matchups. i'll really need to get myself one of them sometime
my name is jade. i like dragons

i have a smol multi-gaze sanctuary. multi-gaze needs love always
Wow these are so amazing! Adding several of these to my AH searches!
Wow these are so amazing! Adding several of these to my AH searches!
tundrasig_small.png
#1 Speckle Fan * Old Dragon Collector * FR+3
This is fantastic! Thank you so much, I’ve been looking for a good guide for the secondary colors in fade/blend.
This is fantastic! Thank you so much, I’ve been looking for a good guide for the secondary colors in fade/blend.
Vj0BLbc.png
:DDDDD
so useful to know these kinds of things! cobalt is my favorite
:DDDDD
so useful to know these kinds of things! cobalt is my favorite
FR+3 He/Him/His

idk what to put here
I love this, so cool!
I love this, so cool!
I don't want to be a bother but I like matching colors together x-X
All of these work so well, but a few seemed off to me.

XX Color- My suggestion
  • Ice- Peridot
  • Silver- Fire
  • Lead- Robin
  • Flint- Spruce
  • Coal- Peach
  • Obsidian- Denim
  • Midnight- Cornflower
  • Thistle- Moon
  • Lavender- Sky
  • Cobalt- Thistle
  • Periwinkle- Stonewash
  • Lapis- Honey
  • Denim- Amber
  • Pistachio- Rose
  • Spearmint- Yellow
  • Emerald- Buttercup
  • Murk- Rust or Copper

Some colors were too hard to match so I didn't make a suggestion as yours was close enough. It would be cool if the secondary colors within genes were actual colors on the site! It would make color-matching like this so much easier AND pleasing XD
I don't want to be a bother but I like matching colors together x-X
All of these work so well, but a few seemed off to me.

XX Color- My suggestion
  • Ice- Peridot
  • Silver- Fire
  • Lead- Robin
  • Flint- Spruce
  • Coal- Peach
  • Obsidian- Denim
  • Midnight- Cornflower
  • Thistle- Moon
  • Lavender- Sky
  • Cobalt- Thistle
  • Periwinkle- Stonewash
  • Lapis- Honey
  • Denim- Amber
  • Pistachio- Rose
  • Spearmint- Yellow
  • Emerald- Buttercup
  • Murk- Rust or Copper

Some colors were too hard to match so I didn't make a suggestion as yours was close enough. It would be cool if the secondary colors within genes were actual colors on the site! It would make color-matching like this so much easier AND pleasing XD
Banescale Hatchery The Four Horsemen
LeainV
EvS3mMl.png SXUqIhS.png
@LeainV Thank you for taking the time to give these suggestions! I actually ended up altering a few others that weren't mentioned as well after giving them a second look (such as Honeydew to Storm rather than Splash) I agree with you on Silver, Coal, Thistle, Spearmint, and Emerald! I think with Thistle I was more trying to match to the color of the curls on the wing than just the wing color before. With Spearmint I'll leave both suggestions, as Yellow definitely works better with the wings while Honey matches along the belly line well, but I like Yellow a little more so that'll be the new default suggestion! Some of the others I prioritize hue over color intensity, which these color choices are much closer to, so the colors I select look a little more mismatched in that regard. FR has a serious lack of subtleties in its blue and purple ranges, I've found, despite how large the blue range is! It definitely makes exact matching for a lot of them hard, I agree that I wish they'd just use colorwheel colors xD though some of the colors they *do* use are much prettier. Caribbean definitely frustrates me the most, though. Here's my reasoning for the ones that I'm keeping the same: [LIST] [*]I'm going to keep Grapefruit here, as there's some extra yellow that is lost in the Peridot [*]Same on Lead + Aqua, some yellow tones are lost with Robin [*]Flint has more blues and less greens than are in Spruce, which I feel is better with Robin [*]Obsidian has some green tones that I feel are better in Teal than in Denim. Though, now that I think about it, perhaps Turquoise keeps them even better? [*]Midnight has some yellows that I think are lost Cornflower if only [i]slightly[/i] better held in Stonewash [*]Lavender I'm torn on- there's more white in the accent than Sky has, but Ice also has too much. I'll leave it the way it is for now. [*]Cobalt has some reds that I feel are better seen in Coral vs Thistle [*]Periwinkle has some white, almost faintly purpley tones that I feel are better matched in Platinum vs Stonewash [*]With Lapis, Honey and Metals are so close that I had to squint and think about it for a while, but I think they both work well! I'll list Honey alongside Metals with that one. [*]Same with Denim! I think the Marigold better matches the wings but the Amber definitely matches the belly line in a very satisfying way- I'll list them both. [*]Pistachio has a bit more red that I feel is easier to see in Blush vs Rose [*]Another better belly match with Murk and Rust! I'll make it into the alternate choice as well with Carmine kept as the other option. [/LIST] Thank you again for making these suggestions to help the guide improve [emoji=familiar heart size=1]
@LeainV Thank you for taking the time to give these suggestions! I actually ended up altering a few others that weren't mentioned as well after giving them a second look (such as Honeydew to Storm rather than Splash)

I agree with you on Silver, Coal, Thistle, Spearmint, and Emerald! I think with Thistle I was more trying to match to the color of the curls on the wing than just the wing color before. With Spearmint I'll leave both suggestions, as Yellow definitely works better with the wings while Honey matches along the belly line well, but I like Yellow a little more so that'll be the new default suggestion!

Some of the others I prioritize hue over color intensity, which these color choices are much closer to, so the colors I select look a little more mismatched in that regard.

FR has a serious lack of subtleties in its blue and purple ranges, I've found, despite how large the blue range is! It definitely makes exact matching for a lot of them hard, I agree that I wish they'd just use colorwheel colors xD though some of the colors they *do* use are much prettier. Caribbean definitely frustrates me the most, though.

Here's my reasoning for the ones that I'm keeping the same:
  • I'm going to keep Grapefruit here, as there's some extra yellow that is lost in the Peridot
  • Same on Lead + Aqua, some yellow tones are lost with Robin
  • Flint has more blues and less greens than are in Spruce, which I feel is better with Robin
  • Obsidian has some green tones that I feel are better in Teal than in Denim. Though, now that I think about it, perhaps Turquoise keeps them even better?
  • Midnight has some yellows that I think are lost Cornflower if only slightly better held in Stonewash
  • Lavender I'm torn on- there's more white in the accent than Sky has, but Ice also has too much. I'll leave it the way it is for now.
  • Cobalt has some reds that I feel are better seen in Coral vs Thistle
  • Periwinkle has some white, almost faintly purpley tones that I feel are better matched in Platinum vs Stonewash
  • With Lapis, Honey and Metals are so close that I had to squint and think about it for a while, but I think they both work well! I'll list Honey alongside Metals with that one.
  • Same with Denim! I think the Marigold better matches the wings but the Amber definitely matches the belly line in a very satisfying way- I'll list them both.
  • Pistachio has a bit more red that I feel is easier to see in Blush vs Rose
  • Another better belly match with Murk and Rust! I'll make it into the alternate choice as well with Carmine kept as the other option.

Thank you again for making these suggestions to help the guide improve
1 2 3