Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Blocking friend requests
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="Aterna" date="2019-11-01 10:14:13" ] Honestly the reasons people shoot certain suggestions down is kind of gross. No the site shouldn't cater to people with certain issues, but in what way does this harm anyone whatsoever? Even for those that don't get easily nervous talking to people, it would still be a nice feature. I'm over the anxiety of random friend requests, but I'm more annoyed with them now, and I'd rather not see them. I get tired of rejecting a certain number of friend requests every month. To be able to turn them off would be a blessing. [/quote] ^^ this the ability to disable friend requests isn't "catering" to anyone any more than the block feature "caters" to users with certain needs. you could make the same argument against blocking; "if you can't just ignore people online who annoy you, you should seek therapy" i support, i'm both anxious by random friend requests and partially annoyed, since i ask in my bio to not send requests if i don't know you. this feature wouldn't hurt anyone, and yes, it would take up staff time and resources, but literally every update does. if it makes users feel more comfortable, i don't see the harm.
Aterna wrote on 2019-11-01 10:14:13:
Honestly the reasons people shoot certain suggestions down is kind of gross. No the site shouldn't cater to people with certain issues, but in what way does this harm anyone whatsoever? Even for those that don't get easily nervous talking to people, it would still be a nice feature. I'm over the anxiety of random friend requests, but I'm more annoyed with them now, and I'd rather not see them. I get tired of rejecting a certain number of friend requests every month. To be able to turn them off would be a blessing.

^^ this
the ability to disable friend requests isn't "catering" to anyone any more than the block feature "caters" to users with certain needs.

you could make the same argument against blocking; "if you can't just ignore people online who annoy you, you should seek therapy"

i support, i'm both anxious by random friend requests and partially annoyed, since i ask in my bio to not send requests if i don't know you. this feature wouldn't hurt anyone, and yes, it would take up staff time and resources, but literally every update does. if it makes users feel more comfortable, i don't see the harm.
SdIF9XK.gif..
raven
she/her • FR+0
» lore
» art shop
» adopts
Major support! I'd love a feature like this, as I'd like to have my friend list to be actually that, for friends. I have anxiety too so outright rejecting them is really stressing at times because I don't want to hut someones feelings, but I also don't want any more spite spammers because of it. I also have seen no change in the amount of friend requests received even when I had the "no random friend requests!" on my profile, so I just don't have it up there anymore. [quote name="Jemadar" date="2019-11-01 07:49:08" ] It has always been strange to me, and I have honestly only really seen this sentiment on FR, that there are people who have the idea that they should be able to contact any person they want to, no matter the feelings of that person they are trying to contact. [/quote] Also THIS so much. This is the only site I have seen this mentality.
Major support!

I'd love a feature like this, as I'd like to have my friend list to be actually that, for friends. I have anxiety too so outright rejecting them is really stressing at times because I don't want to hut someones feelings, but I also don't want any more spite spammers because of it. I also have seen no change in the amount of friend requests received even when I had the "no random friend requests!" on my profile, so I just don't have it up there anymore.
Jemadar wrote on 2019-11-01 07:49:08:
It has always been strange to me, and I have honestly only really seen this sentiment on FR, that there are people who have the idea that they should be able to contact any person they want to, no matter the feelings of that person they are trying to contact.

Also THIS so much. This is the only site I have seen this mentality.
I'm +10H ahead of FR time!
Replies may be slow, so sorry ;w;
support because the number of random unknowns who think it's nice for me to receive a request is too many tbh
support because the number of random unknowns who think it's nice for me to receive a request is too many tbh
[quote name="Laluzi" date="2019-10-31 22:14:05" ]I've found it to be an 'older users tired of younger ones' thing.[/quote] I don't care if they're older or younger than me. I just care that I don't give two hoots about a complete and utter stranger and don't want a random friend request every other day. Most of the ones I get are from people I've never even [i]seen[/i] before--not extended, not a brief surge of conversation, not even "I recognize this name in passing because they replied in a thread I read once". Just a big dose of "who in ten hecks is this". And frankly, getting little orange alerts to be excited about only to find out it's request spam and be disappointed is not my idea of a good time. I'd rather turn it off and only temporarily put it back on when someone I actually know wants on the list.
Laluzi wrote on 2019-10-31 22:14:05:
I've found it to be an 'older users tired of younger ones' thing.

I don't care if they're older or younger than me. I just care that I don't give two hoots about a complete and utter stranger and don't want a random friend request every other day. Most of the ones I get are from people I've never even seen before--not extended, not a brief surge of conversation, not even "I recognize this name in passing because they replied in a thread I read once". Just a big dose of "who in ten hecks is this".

And frankly, getting little orange alerts to be excited about only to find out it's request spam and be disappointed is not my idea of a good time. I'd rather turn it off and only temporarily put it back on when someone I actually know wants on the list.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
1 2 3 4 5