Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Social anxiety?
1 2 3 4 5
My social anxiety was worse when I was in college. I didn't even feel comfortable with my classmates and had to go to the head of student disabilities and get accommodations where she would notify my professors. I literally could not talk to people and I always sat in the corner of the room on the computer away from everyone else. I studied animation and went to art school so there were others sort of in the same boat but just not as severe. After I went to New York for a semester and was at my lowest (I got so drunk in my dorm room I ended up puking which had never ever happened before or since, and also had started self harming again.) and got my *** kicked by the other students and the professors telling me I wasn't good enough, I went back to my other school and just didn't give a **** anymore. I think I was so broken that at that point I was so done with everything and just stopped caring about what people thought. I spoke my mind more, I told more people how I felt about them, I spoke out against my school because they did such a crappy job educating us, especially in my department. Now I work with the public, and honestly my anxiety turned into anger, which is just as bad but in a different way.
My social anxiety was worse when I was in college. I didn't even feel comfortable with my classmates and had to go to the head of student disabilities and get accommodations where she would notify my professors. I literally could not talk to people and I always sat in the corner of the room on the computer away from everyone else. I studied animation and went to art school so there were others sort of in the same boat but just not as severe. After I went to New York for a semester and was at my lowest (I got so drunk in my dorm room I ended up puking which had never ever happened before or since, and also had started self harming again.) and got my *** kicked by the other students and the professors telling me I wasn't good enough, I went back to my other school and just didn't give a **** anymore. I think I was so broken that at that point I was so done with everything and just stopped caring about what people thought. I spoke my mind more, I told more people how I felt about them, I spoke out against my school because they did such a crappy job educating us, especially in my department. Now I work with the public, and honestly my anxiety turned into anger, which is just as bad but in a different way.
tumblr_inline_nbax4xlrxv1qg78ij.png
I'm glad I can read all of these stories and replies and feel like I'm not alone c,: You are all strong people! >w<
I'm glad I can read all of these stories and replies and feel like I'm not alone c,: You are all strong people! >w<
Yeah but it’s much less of a problem now. In high school it was so bad I would go a whole day without talking and I had bad depression. Much better these days and talking to people is easy most days [emoji=guardian happy size=1]
Yeah but it’s much less of a problem now. In high school it was so bad I would go a whole day without talking and I had bad depression. Much better these days and talking to people is easy most days
2387888.png2387695.png2434632.png
Yep, I'm in my mid twenties and have social anxiety as well. Don't do what I did and completely avoid contact with people by staying at home all the time and only have online friends, it will only get worse and be much, much harder to recover as time goes on.

Best advice I have to offer is to put yourself outside of your comfort zone consistently. Also, get into the habit of telling yourself positive affirmations that are completely counter to any negative belief you have about yourself. Example: if you regularly think to yourself that you're ugly, then make a promise to yourself that from now on, whenever you're urged to think that negative thing, you will instead say you're beautiful. Do this even if you don't believe it, because this is how you rewire your brain and change subconscious beliefs that are holding you back.
Yep, I'm in my mid twenties and have social anxiety as well. Don't do what I did and completely avoid contact with people by staying at home all the time and only have online friends, it will only get worse and be much, much harder to recover as time goes on.

Best advice I have to offer is to put yourself outside of your comfort zone consistently. Also, get into the habit of telling yourself positive affirmations that are completely counter to any negative belief you have about yourself. Example: if you regularly think to yourself that you're ugly, then make a promise to yourself that from now on, whenever you're urged to think that negative thing, you will instead say you're beautiful. Do this even if you don't believe it, because this is how you rewire your brain and change subconscious beliefs that are holding you back.
While I don't have extremely bad social anxiety to the point I can't communicate and come out of my room, I still have it nonetheless.

I have almost no self-esteem, which is why I'm very shy and needs to be convinced before I do something. I speak rather quietly and my words are either jumbled or off-tune. Also I can't hold a conversation long without making it awkward.

I just think I looked too ugly (I remember being called "looking too much like an alien" or just straight up "ugly"), which is probably why I've developed a habit of using mostly hand action to distract them. Although I'm sure it only made me look more like a fool and a weirdo because one time someone said "Can you please stop that? You're embarrassing us with your hand stuff./It's weird and can't you just speak properly without your hand moving around?" which made me go silent for the entire day.

Everytime my name is called to answer a question in class, I just get anxious all of a sudden and will start thinking of the worst case scenario. I might be exaggerating but I swear I can clearly feel every single heartbeat of mine and how my heart almost touch my skin with each beat when I think about it more. Also when I'm buying food/anything in general, I would either look for an excuse for my classmate to buy it for me or try to not speak much. (usually by nodding or pointing)

In FR, however, I took on a more meme-y personality. I joke around a lot and act very funny, but it doesn't stop me from hesitating to post and checking the post at least 10 times only to panic and cancel it instead. And even if I do post it, I always start overthinking like "what if I offended someone? what if I'm a bit too rude? what if somebody took it seriously? what if someone took it the wrong way?".

Life just never works out for me when it comes it communication, weirdly enough.

Anyway I'm gonna stop here or else I'll literally write an essay, which would be quite impressive not gonna lie.
And yeah I totally checked this about 6 times to make sure there's nothing wrong even though I might spot one instantly after posting.
While I don't have extremely bad social anxiety to the point I can't communicate and come out of my room, I still have it nonetheless.

I have almost no self-esteem, which is why I'm very shy and needs to be convinced before I do something. I speak rather quietly and my words are either jumbled or off-tune. Also I can't hold a conversation long without making it awkward.

I just think I looked too ugly (I remember being called "looking too much like an alien" or just straight up "ugly"), which is probably why I've developed a habit of using mostly hand action to distract them. Although I'm sure it only made me look more like a fool and a weirdo because one time someone said "Can you please stop that? You're embarrassing us with your hand stuff./It's weird and can't you just speak properly without your hand moving around?" which made me go silent for the entire day.

Everytime my name is called to answer a question in class, I just get anxious all of a sudden and will start thinking of the worst case scenario. I might be exaggerating but I swear I can clearly feel every single heartbeat of mine and how my heart almost touch my skin with each beat when I think about it more. Also when I'm buying food/anything in general, I would either look for an excuse for my classmate to buy it for me or try to not speak much. (usually by nodding or pointing)

In FR, however, I took on a more meme-y personality. I joke around a lot and act very funny, but it doesn't stop me from hesitating to post and checking the post at least 10 times only to panic and cancel it instead. And even if I do post it, I always start overthinking like "what if I offended someone? what if I'm a bit too rude? what if somebody took it seriously? what if someone took it the wrong way?".

Life just never works out for me when it comes it communication, weirdly enough.

Anyway I'm gonna stop here or else I'll literally write an essay, which would be quite impressive not gonna lie.
And yeah I totally checked this about 6 times to make sure there's nothing wrong even though I might spot one instantly after posting.
C8eEWc5.gif
yes. My social anxiety used to be pretty bad. High School life for me is a blurry non existence where i chose to hide in books rather than deal with making friends. I didnt finish college for various reasons but they all point back to anxiety, low self esteem, and depression. The only social interactions I had were with my aunt and cousin and my only friends were a couple of online buddies but they faded out as we all grew older.... But my aunt helped me get a job and that started me on the road to facing these issues. Honestly working has put me in situations where I had no choice but to face people and interact even when I didnt want to. It really does get easier the more you put yourself out there. Now i try to seek my friends out and make efforts to communicate to keep from falling back into that anxiety cycle that i get stuck in.

Although I still dont like large crowds or being in a room full of people (even if I know them all)
I still feel panic when I have to deal with customers on the phone but i do it anyways and make out just fine.
I still prefer my books to going out and partying but i still make plans to hang out cause otherwise I would bury into my blankets and never come out.
I still get nervous when all eyes are on me
and loud noises in general make me super nervous but its not debilitating like it used to be.

yes. My social anxiety used to be pretty bad. High School life for me is a blurry non existence where i chose to hide in books rather than deal with making friends. I didnt finish college for various reasons but they all point back to anxiety, low self esteem, and depression. The only social interactions I had were with my aunt and cousin and my only friends were a couple of online buddies but they faded out as we all grew older.... But my aunt helped me get a job and that started me on the road to facing these issues. Honestly working has put me in situations where I had no choice but to face people and interact even when I didnt want to. It really does get easier the more you put yourself out there. Now i try to seek my friends out and make efforts to communicate to keep from falling back into that anxiety cycle that i get stuck in.

Although I still dont like large crowds or being in a room full of people (even if I know them all)
I still feel panic when I have to deal with customers on the phone but i do it anyways and make out just fine.
I still prefer my books to going out and partying but i still make plans to hang out cause otherwise I would bury into my blankets and never come out.
I still get nervous when all eyes are on me
and loud noises in general make me super nervous but its not debilitating like it used to be.

vv6mCnH.png [Miir /+1 FR time / joined:7/21/15]
I feel you. As I sit here typing, I am surrounded by Magic: the Gathering and Keyforge players. I love playing both games, but I haven't been out of the house except for work in a while and I'm feeling a bit skittish. I find it difficult to break into groups.
I feel you. As I sit here typing, I am surrounded by Magic: the Gathering and Keyforge players. I love playing both games, but I haven't been out of the house except for work in a while and I'm feeling a bit skittish. I find it difficult to break into groups.
Melon Marzal
Yup, crippling social anxiety here. I'm lucky if I'm able to hold a conversation for more than 5 seconds before degrading into a mumbling, stuttering mess (if I even have the courage to have the convo in the first place). I've only had a handful of people in my life who I can consider friends. Making phone calls is extremely difficult for me as I tend to overthink things and make myself sound like an idiot. It doesn't help that I have depression and low self-esteem so I feel like garbage at times.

I guess my username is really relevant to me huh.
Yup, crippling social anxiety here. I'm lucky if I'm able to hold a conversation for more than 5 seconds before degrading into a mumbling, stuttering mess (if I even have the courage to have the convo in the first place). I've only had a handful of people in my life who I can consider friends. Making phone calls is extremely difficult for me as I tend to overthink things and make myself sound like an idiot. It doesn't help that I have depression and low self-esteem so I feel like garbage at times.

I guess my username is really relevant to me huh.
78315837_U8Ptr2f8Xr8bGaY.png
For me, my social anxiety tends to kick in because of my Xenophobia. I have a irrational fear of strangers. I hate being in crowds or going out when I know lots of people will be there.

I use to get bad panic attacks over seeing so many people. I would run outside and calm myself for hours till I got home. And when that didn't happen, just talking to someone would get my heart racing.

I also overthink things. When I reply to someone I have to proof read my reply several times before I feel comfortable sending it. I do the same thing when I talk to people as well. But it's not as many times or time consuming (since I'm face to face with them). Sometimes my overthinking get out of hand and makes my worry about how I embarrassed myself. It's exhausting really.

What I find that helps me is focusing on my 'tasks'. If I need to interact with someone it's because of my 'task'. I tell myself that "I don't need to panic over what I say" or "people aren't always bad". I usually use this technique at work. The people who come in the store are just part of my task to take care of. I honestly find my job very helpful with my social anxiety. I can better talk to people now.

While I have improved in my social skills I still find phone calls terrifying. I could never get myself to calm down when making calls unless it's my family (or a friend whose voice sounds the same when I talk to them in person). If I can't recognize the voice over the call, my heart starts racing.

For me, my social anxiety tends to kick in because of my Xenophobia. I have a irrational fear of strangers. I hate being in crowds or going out when I know lots of people will be there.

I use to get bad panic attacks over seeing so many people. I would run outside and calm myself for hours till I got home. And when that didn't happen, just talking to someone would get my heart racing.

I also overthink things. When I reply to someone I have to proof read my reply several times before I feel comfortable sending it. I do the same thing when I talk to people as well. But it's not as many times or time consuming (since I'm face to face with them). Sometimes my overthinking get out of hand and makes my worry about how I embarrassed myself. It's exhausting really.

What I find that helps me is focusing on my 'tasks'. If I need to interact with someone it's because of my 'task'. I tell myself that "I don't need to panic over what I say" or "people aren't always bad". I usually use this technique at work. The people who come in the store are just part of my task to take care of. I honestly find my job very helpful with my social anxiety. I can better talk to people now.

While I have improved in my social skills I still find phone calls terrifying. I could never get myself to calm down when making calls unless it's my family (or a friend whose voice sounds the same when I talk to them in person). If I can't recognize the voice over the call, my heart starts racing.

icenice_banner2_by_blacksunice-d8stprg.png
*slowly come in*

I have social (and general) anxiety too, plus low self-esteem and depression from being bullied and called names at school and from family. I'm always scare to annoy people, have them think i'm ugly, make myself look like a fool, or something like that. I overthink a lot, I hate being in public, big crowds or talking to strangers, even talking to the phone is hard. Which is very difficult at my job of casher, to the point where I had a panic attack the first day, and felt so horrible about it. But talking with strangers on the internet is easier for me than in real life even if i'm still nervous about it.

I'm also an introvert, I don't trust people easily and i'm always scare to have people leave me, so making new friends? It's pretty hard for me, except when we have the same interests then it make everything a bit easier...

I'm lucky I have some friends that respect when I don't wanna go outside or talk with new people but still, I often wish I wasn't as anxious with people.
*slowly come in*

I have social (and general) anxiety too, plus low self-esteem and depression from being bullied and called names at school and from family. I'm always scare to annoy people, have them think i'm ugly, make myself look like a fool, or something like that. I overthink a lot, I hate being in public, big crowds or talking to strangers, even talking to the phone is hard. Which is very difficult at my job of casher, to the point where I had a panic attack the first day, and felt so horrible about it. But talking with strangers on the internet is easier for me than in real life even if i'm still nervous about it.

I'm also an introvert, I don't trust people easily and i'm always scare to have people leave me, so making new friends? It's pretty hard for me, except when we have the same interests then it make everything a bit easier...

I'm lucky I have some friends that respect when I don't wanna go outside or talk with new people but still, I often wish I wasn't as anxious with people.
oouioVf.png
5hF3FGk.png
fkWjutW.png
12ilQ62.png
kCTrfom.png
1 2 3 4 5