Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Books With Dragons In: List 'em!
1 2 3 4 5 6
The hunting of the last dragon by Sherryl Jordan was one of my favourites.

The Companion Quartet series by Julia Golding has dragons in, although I've only ever read the first book, Secret of the sirens.
The hunting of the last dragon by Sherryl Jordan was one of my favourites.

The Companion Quartet series by Julia Golding has dragons in, although I've only ever read the first book, Secret of the sirens.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
[quote name="Fianna" date="2014-05-08 14:40:21"].3. There's a guy named Vetinari who's one of the main characters of Discworld.[/quote] :) My username is actually a quote from that very same character. He's something of a favorite of mine. [quote name="rubyrouge" date="2014-05-08 12:18:50"]how in the love of fruit loops has Temeraire (by Naomi Novik) been mentioned ONCE in this thread? D: Come on, guys! It's like Master and Commander! WITH DRAGONS! I repeat: the Napoleonic wars. WITH DRAGON AVIATORS![/quote] XD It's up there! It's organized by author last name, listed by the name of the series -- "His Majesty's Dragon." But yeah, judging from the fact that when I checked there were 133 dragons on this site named "Temeraire," I think it's safe to say we're not the only ones in love with these books. ._. (WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH OUR LIVES WHEN THIS SERIES IS OVER OMG.) [quote name="xelhaspixiestix" date="2014-05-08 14:35:45"][quote name="VeniVeciVetinari" date="2014-05-08 06:18:45"]Bahahaha, YES. Thank you for all of these titles! :D *fist bump* Shame on me for forgetting the Lackey titles, but they've never really been my favorites of hers. XD I honestly think she does other animals best, but she does do a pretty good job when she teams up with another writer. .[/quote] Re: Lackey, didn't she do, uh--- Joust? Joust, Alta, Sanctuary?[/quote] She did. I wasn't really impressed. >_>; I read them, and they're on the list, but I don't think I'd re-read them again. She does hawks & horses better .. and these days, I like her best when she's teamed up with another author, as opposed to writing alone. Maybe it's just me?
Fianna wrote on 2014-05-08 14:40:21:
.3. There's a guy named Vetinari who's one of the main characters of Discworld.
:) My username is actually a quote from that very same character. He's something of a favorite of mine.

rubyrouge wrote on 2014-05-08 12:18:50:
how in the love of fruit loops has Temeraire (by Naomi Novik) been mentioned ONCE in this thread? D:

Come on, guys! It's like Master and Commander! WITH DRAGONS!

I repeat: the Napoleonic wars. WITH DRAGON AVIATORS!
XD It's up there! It's organized by author last name, listed by the name of the series -- "His Majesty's Dragon." But yeah, judging from the fact that when I checked there were 133 dragons on this site named "Temeraire," I think it's safe to say we're not the only ones in love with these books. ._. (WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH OUR LIVES WHEN THIS SERIES IS OVER OMG.)

xelhaspixiestix wrote on 2014-05-08 14:35:45:
VeniVeciVetinari wrote on 2014-05-08 06:18:45:
Bahahaha, YES. Thank you for all of these titles! :D *fist bump* Shame on me for forgetting the Lackey titles, but they've never really been my favorites of hers. XD I honestly think she does other animals best, but she does do a pretty good job when she teams up with another writer.

Re: Lackey, didn't she do, uh--- Joust? Joust, Alta, Sanctuary?
She did. I wasn't really impressed. >_>; I read them, and they're on the list, but I don't think I'd re-read them again. She does hawks & horses better .. and these days, I like her best when she's teamed up with another author, as opposed to writing alone. Maybe it's just me?
xxx. THRICE AS NICE .xxx
triple color tg hatchery - several colors available!
Oh, just remembered that there's another book that J.R.R Tolkien wrote with a dragon in.
Well, technically, there are five short stories in one book, but one of the stories has a dragon in it =3
It's called Tales from the Perilous Realms.
I haven't actually read it myself =3 I just remember coming across it, but Amazon has given it 4.5 stars. Although, some describe it to be more childish, more as in the Hobbit rather than the LOTR trilogy.
Still, maybe worth a read??

EDIT: And whilst I'm still looking through J.R.R Tolkien's books, there's this: The Children of Hurin.
It claims in the blurb to have: "Glaurung, a powerful spirit in the form of a huge wingless dragon of fire" And Amazon have given it 4 stars.

But I'll also warn anyone who hasn't yet read one of Tolkien's works, be hasty, 'cause some of his books (e.g The Lord of the Rings) can be extremely difficult to read, as his style of writing is rather strange =3 but they are good books!! I'm not trying to put anyone off!!
I'd recommend the Hobbit first, it's much easier than any of the others.

ANOTHER EDIT: Totally forgot to ping =3 @VeniVeciVetinari
Oh, just remembered that there's another book that J.R.R Tolkien wrote with a dragon in.
Well, technically, there are five short stories in one book, but one of the stories has a dragon in it =3
It's called Tales from the Perilous Realms.
I haven't actually read it myself =3 I just remember coming across it, but Amazon has given it 4.5 stars. Although, some describe it to be more childish, more as in the Hobbit rather than the LOTR trilogy.
Still, maybe worth a read??

EDIT: And whilst I'm still looking through J.R.R Tolkien's books, there's this: The Children of Hurin.
It claims in the blurb to have: "Glaurung, a powerful spirit in the form of a huge wingless dragon of fire" And Amazon have given it 4 stars.

But I'll also warn anyone who hasn't yet read one of Tolkien's works, be hasty, 'cause some of his books (e.g The Lord of the Rings) can be extremely difficult to read, as his style of writing is rather strange =3 but they are good books!! I'm not trying to put anyone off!!
I'd recommend the Hobbit first, it's much easier than any of the others.

ANOTHER EDIT: Totally forgot to ping =3 @VeniVeciVetinari
@kannadono

I was intrigued and have attempted to find this book of yours. Did it happen to be a book called Dragon in a Wagon and other strange sights??
It's the second book down =3 I'm not too sure whether this fits the description though, I can't find the exact one on Amazon =3 but it could be one of the different versions on Amazon =3
@kannadono

I was intrigued and have attempted to find this book of yours. Did it happen to be a book called Dragon in a Wagon and other strange sights??
It's the second book down =3 I'm not too sure whether this fits the description though, I can't find the exact one on Amazon =3 but it could be one of the different versions on Amazon =3
@Risper

Ahh, sadly it wasn't. ;n; This was more of an art collection book, probably paintings because I don't think digital art was quite yet a thing. The colors were pretty vivid too, and I wish I could remember more of the book. ;; Thank you for trying though!
@Risper

Ahh, sadly it wasn't. ;n; This was more of an art collection book, probably paintings because I don't think digital art was quite yet a thing. The colors were pretty vivid too, and I wish I could remember more of the book. ;; Thank you for trying though!
@kannadono

Did it have any writing in it, or was it purely pictures??
I never knew how many children dragon books there were =3
@kannadono

Did it have any writing in it, or was it purely pictures??
I never knew how many children dragon books there were =3
This was the first book I thought of, but I don't think this is it -- still cute, though. I actually own this, I'd just forgotten to include it in my list:

Discovery of Dragons, by Graeme Base. It's set up as if it's the accounts of various persons discovering dragons from different countries. Very cute.

Another possibility -- Dragonology, the Complete Book of Dragons.
This was the first book I thought of, but I don't think this is it -- still cute, though. I actually own this, I'd just forgotten to include it in my list:

Discovery of Dragons, by Graeme Base. It's set up as if it's the accounts of various persons discovering dragons from different countries. Very cute.

Another possibility -- Dragonology, the Complete Book of Dragons.
xxx. THRICE AS NICE .xxx
triple color tg hatchery - several colors available!
The MYTH Series - Robert Asprin - Really fun fantasy series. One of the character is a dragon named Gleep.

The Hurog Series by Patricia Briggs - Dragons more in passing but still pivotal to story.

Enchanted Forest Chronicles - Patricia C. Wrede - this is more of a children's chapter book (Like Wizard of Oz is a children's chapter book). It centers around a princess who choose to go live with the dragons and refuses to be rescued by any knights in shining armor. It was a lot of fun.
The MYTH Series - Robert Asprin - Really fun fantasy series. One of the character is a dragon named Gleep.

The Hurog Series by Patricia Briggs - Dragons more in passing but still pivotal to story.

Enchanted Forest Chronicles - Patricia C. Wrede - this is more of a children's chapter book (Like Wizard of Oz is a children's chapter book). It centers around a princess who choose to go live with the dragons and refuses to be rescued by any knights in shining armor. It was a lot of fun.
The Kolmar series by Elizabeth Kerner(Song in the Silence, The Lesser Kindred and Redeeming the Lost) is one of my favorite trilogies. The protagonist has dreamed of finding the true dragons all her life, and takes her chance following the death of her father. It's first person perspective, and a bit of a romantic fluff, but the dragons are pretty unique. I've heard a few complaints about the story being simplistic, but it's nice to have an easy read in your library sometimes.

The Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, The Star Scroll, Sunrunner's Fire) and Dragon Star (Stronghold, The Dragon Token, Skybowl) trilogies are also pretty great, if terribly sad and depressing by the end of Dragon Star. Stop the books at the end of Sunrunner's Fire if you're not a complete masochist with your reading. It's mostly centered around politics and Sunrunners, though dragons play a few pivotal roles throughout both series and are a big part of the world. (Double reviews are rad right? cough.)

Dragon Age by James Maxey (Bitterwood, Dragonseed, Dragonforge, not the game!) is another series with a neat "twist" by the end. Bipedal dragons rule the land, and Bitterwood is an old rebel that reaches mythical status for his prowess at draconic murdering. Humanized dragons are super iffy for me, but this world pulls it off fantastically and the books got placed on my top shelf.
The Kolmar series by Elizabeth Kerner(Song in the Silence, The Lesser Kindred and Redeeming the Lost) is one of my favorite trilogies. The protagonist has dreamed of finding the true dragons all her life, and takes her chance following the death of her father. It's first person perspective, and a bit of a romantic fluff, but the dragons are pretty unique. I've heard a few complaints about the story being simplistic, but it's nice to have an easy read in your library sometimes.

The Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, The Star Scroll, Sunrunner's Fire) and Dragon Star (Stronghold, The Dragon Token, Skybowl) trilogies are also pretty great, if terribly sad and depressing by the end of Dragon Star. Stop the books at the end of Sunrunner's Fire if you're not a complete masochist with your reading. It's mostly centered around politics and Sunrunners, though dragons play a few pivotal roles throughout both series and are a big part of the world. (Double reviews are rad right? cough.)

Dragon Age by James Maxey (Bitterwood, Dragonseed, Dragonforge, not the game!) is another series with a neat "twist" by the end. Bipedal dragons rule the land, and Bitterwood is an old rebel that reaches mythical status for his prowess at draconic murdering. Humanized dragons are super iffy for me, but this world pulls it off fantastically and the books got placed on my top shelf.
@Risper

I think it was just mainly pictures, though there might have been some writing about the various types. It's been years, which doesn't help the situation any, lol.

@VeniVeciVetinari

Sadly neither, though I owned Dragonology, and read Animalia as a child. The art was pretty vibrant, and if I had to describe the style it was about the same vibrancy of Animalia. It was also a hardcover for sure, but oh man, I wish I could get in contact with my grandparents to see if they remember it. orz
@Risper

I think it was just mainly pictures, though there might have been some writing about the various types. It's been years, which doesn't help the situation any, lol.

@VeniVeciVetinari

Sadly neither, though I owned Dragonology, and read Animalia as a child. The art was pretty vibrant, and if I had to describe the style it was about the same vibrancy of Animalia. It was also a hardcover for sure, but oh man, I wish I could get in contact with my grandparents to see if they remember it. orz
1 2 3 4 5 6