Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Cool Animal Facts
1 2
Welcome to Animal Fun Fact Hour with your host, Dots!
I beg of you to reply with some cool animal facts you know, I love learning more about weird animal stuff, here's just a brain dump of what I know!
Feline Facts
  • Cats will rarely meow to each other, and the reason for this is the cat's meow was evolved to imitate a human infants wails to get attention and food.
  • (This one might be more well known) I believe in Japan (it might be China and my tired brain is being wack) They cut cats tails off in fear of them splitting in two.
  • (Also might be well known but still funky) A white cat born with blue eyes is not at all uncommon to be deaf.
  • Though most cats don't enjoy water (of course this varies) there is a breed of cat known for loving the water and swimming, the Turkish Van! Legend has it that the reason is because it swam ashore off of Noah's Ark! Tigers are also big into swimming-
Deer Tidbits
  • (I think this might be pretty well known but some people find it shocking)Deer, along with other large, cloven hoof mammals, are usually good at swimming!
  • If you were to cut a live deer antler off, it would bleed!
  • The leading cause of accidents from deer-related accidents is when vehicles swerve in an attempt to avoid hitting a deer, and in some parts of the US, deer are the leading cause of accidents.
  • There are only two regions on this planet in which deer do not naturally occur, Australia and Antarctica.
Welcome to Animal Fun Fact Hour with your host, Dots!
I beg of you to reply with some cool animal facts you know, I love learning more about weird animal stuff, here's just a brain dump of what I know!
Feline Facts
  • Cats will rarely meow to each other, and the reason for this is the cat's meow was evolved to imitate a human infants wails to get attention and food.
  • (This one might be more well known) I believe in Japan (it might be China and my tired brain is being wack) They cut cats tails off in fear of them splitting in two.
  • (Also might be well known but still funky) A white cat born with blue eyes is not at all uncommon to be deaf.
  • Though most cats don't enjoy water (of course this varies) there is a breed of cat known for loving the water and swimming, the Turkish Van! Legend has it that the reason is because it swam ashore off of Noah's Ark! Tigers are also big into swimming-
Deer Tidbits
  • (I think this might be pretty well known but some people find it shocking)Deer, along with other large, cloven hoof mammals, are usually good at swimming!
  • If you were to cut a live deer antler off, it would bleed!
  • The leading cause of accidents from deer-related accidents is when vehicles swerve in an attempt to avoid hitting a deer, and in some parts of the US, deer are the leading cause of accidents.
  • There are only two regions on this planet in which deer do not naturally occur, Australia and Antarctica.
> he him
tigers are on the endangered list and we need to protect and save the precious felines including the lions
tigers are on the endangered list and we need to protect and save the precious felines including the lions
Some herbivores have been known to eat meat, either scavenging carrion or actively hunting. No one is really sure why. Most commonly witnessed are deer, cattle and sheep.

Orcas are crazy, straight up insane. They are highly intelligent pod animals, and hunting techniques vary between pods. Some pods hunt only fish, some hunt only dolphins, some hunt baby whales, some hunt anything with a pulse, and some pods are cannibalistic. They have also been known to hunt for sport, and there is one thing in the ocean that does not like that. Humpback whales. They have been recorded attempting to protect other whales (and in one event, two Ocean Sunfish) from Orca attacks. They typically fail but it's the thought that counts. We don't know why they do this.
Some herbivores have been known to eat meat, either scavenging carrion or actively hunting. No one is really sure why. Most commonly witnessed are deer, cattle and sheep.

Orcas are crazy, straight up insane. They are highly intelligent pod animals, and hunting techniques vary between pods. Some pods hunt only fish, some hunt only dolphins, some hunt baby whales, some hunt anything with a pulse, and some pods are cannibalistic. They have also been known to hunt for sport, and there is one thing in the ocean that does not like that. Humpback whales. They have been recorded attempting to protect other whales (and in one event, two Ocean Sunfish) from Orca attacks. They typically fail but it's the thought that counts. We don't know why they do this.
tumblr_inline_nk71ajhrKe1qg2i5p.png
Hummingbirds’ tongues wrap around their craniums... internally.
Hummingbirds’ tongues wrap around their craniums... internally.
most people put something meaningful here...
I'd like to correct two of your facts a bit, I hope you don't mind. D: [quote]Cats will rarely meow to each other, and the reason for this is the cat's meow was evolved to imitate a human infants wails to get attention and food.[/quote] Meowing is actually how mother cats and their kittens communicate with each other! Adult cats meow at us because they cannot communicate with us very well using the same ways they mainly communicate with other cats (via body language, touch, scent, hissing/yowling), so they continue meowing because it works better. While it may have helped to kind of simulate a human infant, that's not why it evolved. c: Cats also meow for more reasons than to get attention or food; they may meow to greet you, to let you know they like or dislike something, or if they're stressed or in pain. [quote](This one might be more well known) I believe in Japan (it might be China and my tired brain is being wack) They cut cats tails off in fear of them splitting in two.[/quote] It was common in Japan at one point because of the legends stating that long-tailed cats could curse people (some other legends say that cats will eventually split their tail if they live long enough and gain supernatural powers), but is (thankfully!) no longer a common practice. It did affect Japan's (and Southeast Asia's as a whole, I believe) cat population though, as 30-40% of cats there are naturally bobtailed! It also led to the creation of the Japanese Bobtail breed (which is one of my favorites). [quote](Also might be well known but still funky) A white cat born with blue eyes is not at all uncommon to be deaf.[/quote] White cats are prone to deafness because the gene that causes the white coat can also cause degeneration of the inner ear! It is more common in blue-eyed cats, with 65-85% of all blue-eyed white cats being deaf. However, it can also affect cats that don't have blue eyes (17-22%), as well as odd-eyed cats (~40%; if they are deaf in one ear, it is always the side with the blue eye). Okay, now for some of my own facts. :'D - Speaking of Japanese Bobtails, they are the only breed where the bobtail does not cause health issues. Other bobtailed breeds like the Manx, carry a different gene that can cause many problems, such as arthritis, "Manx Syndrome" (where the spine is shortened/deformed and leads to many complications, such as spina bifida, digestion/bowel problems, small bladders, and early death), and megacolon! On top of that, the Manx gene is homozygous fatal, meaning that kittens that get two copies of it die in the womb. :c - There is a dog breed called the Norwegian Lundehund which is very unique. They are extremely flexible, able to touch their heads to their backs, and able to raise their legs at a 90-degree angle to their body, like humans. They usually have six toes on each paw, and can close their ears. They were bred to hunt puffins, and nearly went extinct when hunters began using nets instead and a dog tax was put in place. - The King Cobra is not a true cobra; cobras are in the genus [i]Naja[/i] while the King Cobra is the only species in its own genus [i]Ophiophagus[/i] (which means "snake-eater"). - It is a common misconception that dogs with black/blue spots on their tongues are part Chow. In reality, over 30 breeds are known to have these spots, and there's another breed with a solid blue-black tongue, the Shar Pei. - Another dog misconception is that a blue-eyed dog is automatically a husky mix. There are other breeds that can have genetically blue eyes, such as Australian Shepherds, as well as coat colors that cause blue eyes (merle, piebald, and oculocutaneous albinism). I'm tired, so that's all I can think of for now. Feel free to ping me if anyone thinks any of these are off. c:
I'd like to correct two of your facts a bit, I hope you don't mind. D:
Quote:
Cats will rarely meow to each other, and the reason for this is the cat's meow was evolved to imitate a human infants wails to get attention and food.

Meowing is actually how mother cats and their kittens communicate with each other! Adult cats meow at us because they cannot communicate with us very well using the same ways they mainly communicate with other cats (via body language, touch, scent, hissing/yowling), so they continue meowing because it works better. While it may have helped to kind of simulate a human infant, that's not why it evolved. c: Cats also meow for more reasons than to get attention or food; they may meow to greet you, to let you know they like or dislike something, or if they're stressed or in pain.
Quote:
(This one might be more well known) I believe in Japan (it might be China and my tired brain is being wack) They cut cats tails off in fear of them splitting in two.

It was common in Japan at one point because of the legends stating that long-tailed cats could curse people (some other legends say that cats will eventually split their tail if they live long enough and gain supernatural powers), but is (thankfully!) no longer a common practice. It did affect Japan's (and Southeast Asia's as a whole, I believe) cat population though, as 30-40% of cats there are naturally bobtailed! It also led to the creation of the Japanese Bobtail breed (which is one of my favorites).
Quote:
(Also might be well known but still funky) A white cat born with blue eyes is not at all uncommon to be deaf.

White cats are prone to deafness because the gene that causes the white coat can also cause degeneration of the inner ear! It is more common in blue-eyed cats, with 65-85% of all blue-eyed white cats being deaf. However, it can also affect cats that don't have blue eyes (17-22%), as well as odd-eyed cats (~40%; if they are deaf in one ear, it is always the side with the blue eye).

Okay, now for some of my own facts. :'D

- Speaking of Japanese Bobtails, they are the only breed where the bobtail does not cause health issues. Other bobtailed breeds like the Manx, carry a different gene that can cause many problems, such as arthritis, "Manx Syndrome" (where the spine is shortened/deformed and leads to many complications, such as spina bifida, digestion/bowel problems, small bladders, and early death), and megacolon! On top of that, the Manx gene is homozygous fatal, meaning that kittens that get two copies of it die in the womb. :c

- There is a dog breed called the Norwegian Lundehund which is very unique. They are extremely flexible, able to touch their heads to their backs, and able to raise their legs at a 90-degree angle to their body, like humans. They usually have six toes on each paw, and can close their ears. They were bred to hunt puffins, and nearly went extinct when hunters began using nets instead and a dog tax was put in place.

- The King Cobra is not a true cobra; cobras are in the genus Naja while the King Cobra is the only species in its own genus Ophiophagus (which means "snake-eater").

- It is a common misconception that dogs with black/blue spots on their tongues are part Chow. In reality, over 30 breeds are known to have these spots, and there's another breed with a solid blue-black tongue, the Shar Pei.

- Another dog misconception is that a blue-eyed dog is automatically a husky mix. There are other breeds that can have genetically blue eyes, such as Australian Shepherds, as well as coat colors that cause blue eyes (merle, piebald, and oculocutaneous albinism).

I'm tired, so that's all I can think of for now. Feel free to ping me if anyone thinks any of these are off. c:
Kodama
She/They | FR +2

G1 collector and (occasional) artist. Feel free to ping or message me for whatever reason!
CwIEXQR.png
Pigs are very intelligent animals. They can recognize their reflect on a mirror, they have a very good memory, they have a sens of smell as good as dog's. They are very playfull and social animals. I love pigs. Must protect them. +_+
Pigs are very intelligent animals. They can recognize their reflect on a mirror, they have a very good memory, they have a sens of smell as good as dog's. They are very playfull and social animals. I love pigs. Must protect them. +_+
Red pandas are actually not pandas at all and are in fact their own species!
or family one of the two, I don't remember middle school science at all rip
Red pandas are actually not pandas at all and are in fact their own species!
or family one of the two, I don't remember middle school science at all rip
615i00.png
Fr blog | Adopts | Skins
Fr + 0
oru7s0.png
The mantis shrimp hits with the force of a .22 caliber bullet.
The mantis shrimp hits with the force of a .22 caliber bullet.
sketch_1533768563027_png.png
The Kestrel is one of the few birds that can hover!
The Kestrel is one of the few birds that can hover!
most people put something meaningful here...
the bearded vulture mostly eats bones and they dye their feathers in blood to attract mates. they are endangered due to overhunting and they can live up to be 45 years old.
the bearded vulture mostly eats bones and they dye their feathers in blood to attract mates. they are endangered due to overhunting and they can live up to be 45 years old.
DtBIuzC.png
1 2