Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Third-Eye Piercing
1 2
Being Buddhist (not Hindu), I don't really see a problem with you getting the piercing as long as you're not doing it for "uwu the culture". If you're really interested in the culture/just like how it looks, then go for it! Though I'd say it'd be nice to know the background of it and what people might argue about it since someone out there might end up calling you out for "cultural appropriation"
Being Buddhist (not Hindu), I don't really see a problem with you getting the piercing as long as you're not doing it for "uwu the culture". If you're really interested in the culture/just like how it looks, then go for it! Though I'd say it'd be nice to know the background of it and what people might argue about it since someone out there might end up calling you out for "cultural appropriation"
S O K O L
knowledge of comprehension, benevolence, and aesthetics | active | slowly revamping
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx
ToxrvHn.gif
Honestly go for it. As long as you're respectful to the culture it came from then it should be fine :)
Honestly go for it. As long as you're respectful to the culture it came from then it should be fine :)
Frankenstein3.jpg
@Rexcaliburr thank you! i do love how it looks and respect all cultures. i won't be getting the piercing until i am fully educated on the background of it and see different perspectives on if it's cultural appropriation. i mostly hear it in regard to Hinduism but i know it is big in Buddhism and Jainism so thank you for sharing your opinion!

@OracleOreo00 i am putting in the time to research everything i can about it to make sure if i do get the piercing, i remain respectful of the culture. thank you :>
@Rexcaliburr thank you! i do love how it looks and respect all cultures. i won't be getting the piercing until i am fully educated on the background of it and see different perspectives on if it's cultural appropriation. i mostly hear it in regard to Hinduism but i know it is big in Buddhism and Jainism so thank you for sharing your opinion!

@OracleOreo00 i am putting in the time to research everything i can about it to make sure if i do get the piercing, i remain respectful of the culture. thank you :>
[quote name="beforenoon" date="2019-04-07 10:53:02" ] I have 18 piercings already [/quote] i mean, if you have 18 piercings already, what's one more? i understand the whole "cultural appropriation" aspect, but i personally don't find it offensive
beforenoon wrote on 2019-04-07 10:53:02:
I have 18 piercings already

i mean, if you have 18 piercings already, what's one more? i understand the whole "cultural appropriation" aspect, but i personally don't find it offensive
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]
2zEU4.gif

You matter.
i follow every thread i make
(+1 fr time)
5INS7.gif
cultural appropriation doesnt exist, just do whatever you want.
cultural appropriation doesnt exist, just do whatever you want.
ytkEBod.pngll0CfnD.png510b8a63d40dc52d20b17daf90107ad8a80d4b80.png
Go for it. If no one was ever allowed to use things from other cultures because of "cultural appropriation" we would never advance. If someone bugs you about it, just remember that chances are they have used something from another culture too without even realizing it. As long as you aren't being disrespectful about it you should be fine.
Go for it. If no one was ever allowed to use things from other cultures because of "cultural appropriation" we would never advance. If someone bugs you about it, just remember that chances are they have used something from another culture too without even realizing it. As long as you aren't being disrespectful about it you should be fine.
My personal opinion is that there will be some people in the world with a voice online who will find something insulting or insensitive about everything. You cannot avoid that sadly.

If you're genuinely inspired by and have a deep appreciation for the third eye piercing then I fully support your decision. Cultural appropriation is a toxic term, I think because I personally think if you research things fully and appreciate the origins of something, there's no harm in drawing inspiration from that. If anything, it acts as a homage to that element and can be done in a respectful way. Sadly not everyone will view things that way, but if you live life with nothing but good intent in your heart, then I think that's honestly the main thing.

My personal opinion is that there will be some people in the world with a voice online who will find something insulting or insensitive about everything. You cannot avoid that sadly.

If you're genuinely inspired by and have a deep appreciation for the third eye piercing then I fully support your decision. Cultural appropriation is a toxic term, I think because I personally think if you research things fully and appreciate the origins of something, there's no harm in drawing inspiration from that. If anything, it acts as a homage to that element and can be done in a respectful way. Sadly not everyone will view things that way, but if you live life with nothing but good intent in your heart, then I think that's honestly the main thing.

tDAcVLz.png
I just googled it and those are really cute!

Frankly yes, it does fall into a grey area. I disagree with the others claiming appropriation does not exist, but in this case I'm going to say it probably isn't, but could be. The very basic bars with the jewels and metal balls are pretty a-ok and have nothing really in common with culture other than it being jewelry in a certain location- I know of an instagram model who enjoys wearing moon jewelry there- no one says forehead jewelry is banned.
That being said there are absolutely jewelry designs out there that look like they're supposed to look like a bindi- personally I'd stay away from those, but hey, your body your choice!

ultimately id say go for it, but be mindful.
I just googled it and those are really cute!

Frankly yes, it does fall into a grey area. I disagree with the others claiming appropriation does not exist, but in this case I'm going to say it probably isn't, but could be. The very basic bars with the jewels and metal balls are pretty a-ok and have nothing really in common with culture other than it being jewelry in a certain location- I know of an instagram model who enjoys wearing moon jewelry there- no one says forehead jewelry is banned.
That being said there are absolutely jewelry designs out there that look like they're supposed to look like a bindi- personally I'd stay away from those, but hey, your body your choice!

ultimately id say go for it, but be mindful.
98bf1699ec3a8a9904ee0a7db6e28469c9948a3c.gif
1 2