Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | How to get better at art?
1 2 3 4 5 6
@Knoxxi
I'm graduating with a degree in art and have my first gallery show coming up.
So lemme lay down some wisdom. Everyone's going to have something to say, but that's not why I make art. I don't do it for the validation or approval of others. As wonderful as that is, it completely limits yourself and you approach art with a certain amount of fear and anxiety over this, meaning you're far more critical of yourself. Whichhhh is essentially what I'm picking up from you.

Get an instagram. You don't have to upload anything, but the art tags are SO HELPFUL for learning new techniques, ideas, etc. so like #artistsoninstagram #illustration or whatever you like. The videos are the most helpful to watch because they're fast. Watching a lot, you'll pick up on small things.

Also, ask yourself why you make art. What about art makes you want to make it? Self expression? You like pretty things? You want to make characters? Just think about it for a bit.
Look at art history. Know the greatest artists were super messy and broke lots of rules. Picasso actually was a very realistic painter, then he got bored and made his abstract stuff. You can work with yourself, release a bit of those expectations, and, like others have said, imitation and references are your friends.

Good luck and have fun.
@Knoxxi
I'm graduating with a degree in art and have my first gallery show coming up.
So lemme lay down some wisdom. Everyone's going to have something to say, but that's not why I make art. I don't do it for the validation or approval of others. As wonderful as that is, it completely limits yourself and you approach art with a certain amount of fear and anxiety over this, meaning you're far more critical of yourself. Whichhhh is essentially what I'm picking up from you.

Get an instagram. You don't have to upload anything, but the art tags are SO HELPFUL for learning new techniques, ideas, etc. so like #artistsoninstagram #illustration or whatever you like. The videos are the most helpful to watch because they're fast. Watching a lot, you'll pick up on small things.

Also, ask yourself why you make art. What about art makes you want to make it? Self expression? You like pretty things? You want to make characters? Just think about it for a bit.
Look at art history. Know the greatest artists were super messy and broke lots of rules. Picasso actually was a very realistic painter, then he got bored and made his abstract stuff. You can work with yourself, release a bit of those expectations, and, like others have said, imitation and references are your friends.

Good luck and have fun.
PRACTICE DRAWING THE THINGS YOU IMAGINE IN YOUR MIND AND THINGS FROM REAL LIFE. DRAWING THINGS FROM YOUR MIND HELPS YOU TO FIND YOUR STYLE, AND DRAWING THINGS FROM LIFE HELP TO DRAW THINGS ACCURATELY (ANATOMY-WISE AND SUCH)

IF YOU WANT TO LEARN HOW TO DRAW BETTER, DON’T DRAW THINGS THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE DRAWN/CREATED. YOU CAN, OBVIOUSLY, BUT IT ISN’T GOOD FOR PRACTICE BECAUSE YOU’RE DRAWING THINGS HOW OTHER PEOPLE SEE THEM AND IT MESSES WITH YOUR TRUE STYLE.

I HOPE THESE HELP, THESE ALWAYS HELP ME. HAPPY DRAWING!
PRACTICE DRAWING THE THINGS YOU IMAGINE IN YOUR MIND AND THINGS FROM REAL LIFE. DRAWING THINGS FROM YOUR MIND HELPS YOU TO FIND YOUR STYLE, AND DRAWING THINGS FROM LIFE HELP TO DRAW THINGS ACCURATELY (ANATOMY-WISE AND SUCH)

IF YOU WANT TO LEARN HOW TO DRAW BETTER, DON’T DRAW THINGS THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE DRAWN/CREATED. YOU CAN, OBVIOUSLY, BUT IT ISN’T GOOD FOR PRACTICE BECAUSE YOU’RE DRAWING THINGS HOW OTHER PEOPLE SEE THEM AND IT MESSES WITH YOUR TRUE STYLE.

I HOPE THESE HELP, THESE ALWAYS HELP ME. HAPPY DRAWING!
(THE ALL-CAPS IS SIMPLY MY TYPING STYLE, JUST LIKE HOW ONE MAY CHOOSE TO TYPE IN A DIFFERENT FONT OR TEXT COLOR. I NEVER MEAN TO ACTUALLY SHOUT AT YOU.)

GOATMILK ART SHOP
[quote name="ReignsWrath" date="2019-02-22 15:51:30" ] @Knoxxi Using references isn’t cheating, I. CAN. NOT. STRESS. THIS. ENOUGH. It’s not like you’re literally tracing or re-coloring another person’s art. People saying that using a reference doesn’t count is pretty stupid. And as Elia said it really does help with proportions and stuff. [/quote] ive been drawing for years and could only truly say i felt confident about my art [s](never)[/s] just last week, and i've never used references (oof, i need to start using them). i suggest JELarts, lavendertowne, drawingwithwaffles, and kasey golden. they're all really good at art and have tons of tips and tricks -- one of them being 'start with realistic anatomy, and then once you know the ropes, move on to develop your art style'. it takes forever, but it makes you feel awesome about yourself afterwards.
ReignsWrath wrote on 2019-02-22 15:51:30:
@Knoxxi

Using references isn’t cheating, I. CAN. NOT. STRESS. THIS. ENOUGH. It’s not like you’re literally tracing or re-coloring another person’s art. People saying that using a reference doesn’t count is pretty stupid. And as Elia said it really does help with proportions and stuff.

ive been drawing for years and could only truly say i felt confident about my art (never) just last week, and i've never used references (oof, i need to start using them).

i suggest JELarts, lavendertowne, drawingwithwaffles, and kasey golden. they're all really good at art and have tons of tips and tricks -- one of them being 'start with realistic anatomy, and then once you know the ropes, move on to develop your art style'. it takes forever, but it makes you feel awesome about yourself afterwards.
just came back to the
game, please be patient!
19. g1/special id collector
@GoatmilkHC
I've been doing that and I still draw like I did 7 years ago
i also dont have a style :')
@GoatmilkHC
I've been doing that and I still draw like I did 7 years ago
i also dont have a style :')
akueye3.png
@Knoxxi EVERYONE HAS A STYLE, EVEN IF IT’S NOT IN THE MORE COMMON SENSE. A STYLE IS HOW YOU SEE THE WORLD, AND EVERYONE HAS A UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE.

I BET YOUR ART IS GOOD IF YOU ARE DOING THOSE THINGS. IF YOU’RE DRAWING WITH A UNIQUE STYLE, THEN THE ART IS SOMETHING NEW THAT HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE. CREATIVITY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ART, AND DRAWING WITH YOUR OWN STYLE MAKES IT SHINE THROUGH. EVEN THOUGH I’VE NEVER SEEN ONE OF YOUR DRAWINGS, I BET THEY LOOK GREAT!

I WISH YOU LUCK WITH YOUR ART ADVENTURES!
@Knoxxi EVERYONE HAS A STYLE, EVEN IF IT’S NOT IN THE MORE COMMON SENSE. A STYLE IS HOW YOU SEE THE WORLD, AND EVERYONE HAS A UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE.

I BET YOUR ART IS GOOD IF YOU ARE DOING THOSE THINGS. IF YOU’RE DRAWING WITH A UNIQUE STYLE, THEN THE ART IS SOMETHING NEW THAT HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE. CREATIVITY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ART, AND DRAWING WITH YOUR OWN STYLE MAKES IT SHINE THROUGH. EVEN THOUGH I’VE NEVER SEEN ONE OF YOUR DRAWINGS, I BET THEY LOOK GREAT!

I WISH YOU LUCK WITH YOUR ART ADVENTURES!
(THE ALL-CAPS IS SIMPLY MY TYPING STYLE, JUST LIKE HOW ONE MAY CHOOSE TO TYPE IN A DIFFERENT FONT OR TEXT COLOR. I NEVER MEAN TO ACTUALLY SHOUT AT YOU.)

GOATMILK ART SHOP
I agree with everyone else; look at references and practice practice practice! Two quick things I wanted to add, that I don't see anyone else really mentioning: 1. Don't worry about a style. Just pick a genre; do you want to go into cartoony, semi-realistic, or realistic? Take one of those and practice it. Your style will develop around that. 2. Pick one animal and learn it's anatomy, or pick a new one every day, or find a pattern. For dragons it's tricky because they're made up creatures, but I'd suggest practicing on FR dragons! They've helped me improve so that I no longer hate my dragon art, lol. A third thing I'll mention is that, at least for me, I don't bother with colors or shading when I'm practicing. Just sketching, and may I say, make sure your drawing is big enough so you can learn the details and get shapes down right. Never practice tiny! It just makes me frustrated. But maybe you should try just doing lots of sketches and don't worry about making them perfect. Don't bother about line art or coloring or shading, you can learn that later. Also, I think your drawing you showed was so cool! I've never had that creative touch to just make up neat creatures on the fly. You seem to have it; don't get discouraged! Anyone can be an artist, you just have to have patience and do lots of practice. One last thing: don't draw unless you feel motivated to. I can never produce anything good if the mood doesn't strike me. You'll be less frustrated at your art that way, too. Keep at it! I know you'll get there! [emoji=guardian laughing]
I agree with everyone else; look at references and practice practice practice!

Two quick things I wanted to add, that I don't see anyone else really mentioning:

Don't worry about a style. Just pick a genre; do you want to go into cartoony, semi-realistic, or realistic? Take one of those and practice it. Your style will develop around that.

Pick one animal and learn it's anatomy, or pick a new one every day, or find a pattern. For dragons it's tricky because they're made up creatures, but I'd suggest practicing on FR dragons! They've helped me improve so that I no longer hate my dragon art, lol.

A third thing I'll mention is that, at least for me, I don't bother with colors or shading when I'm practicing. Just sketching, and may I say, make sure your drawing is big enough so you can learn the details and get shapes down right. Never practice tiny! It just makes me frustrated.

But maybe you should try just doing lots of sketches and don't worry about making them perfect. Don't bother about line art or coloring or shading, you can learn that later.

Also, I think your drawing you showed was so cool! I've never had that creative touch to just make up neat creatures on the fly. You seem to have it; don't get discouraged! Anyone can be an artist, you just have to have patience and do lots of practice.

One last thing: don't draw unless you feel motivated to. I can never produce anything good if the mood doesn't strike me. You'll be less frustrated at your art that way, too.

Keep at it! I know you'll get there!
x8z3xmt.pngFor God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
Cartoon is most easy style to drawing because you can draw your mind better and next it's chibi style. Most hardest style is realistic drawing. I think about subjects you want to draw. Then try to draw them. Or draw line-skeleton for them first. Drawing with circles can help you well. I'm very good at it Click to search examples
Cartoon is most easy style to drawing because you can draw your mind better and next it's chibi style. Most hardest style is realistic drawing. I think about subjects you want to draw. Then try to draw them. Or draw line-skeleton for them first. Drawing with circles can help you well. I'm very good at it Click to search examples
@Knoxxi [quote name="Knoxxi" date="2019-02-24 04:43:35" ] I made this [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/502896720191946762/549209465648578580/willum.jpeg[/img] idk what it is but it's bad :') [/quote] This is called a "composite creature" It basically means an animal made up of several different animals. Dragons and most mythological creatures are composites. I see very clearly, a squid, a blue whale, an anglerfish, a marlin and an alligator (hands). If you want to make this creature look amazing, try drawing each of the animals it's made out of first (use references). By doing that, you'll get a feel for the little details each creature brings to the table in the parts you're using. For example, the head shape of a blue whale. [img]https://www.novinite.com/media/images/2018-06/photo_verybig_190436.jpg[/img] For some general advice, make sure you're drawing for yourself and have fun doing it! I know it's not easy, but try not to compare yourself to other artists. There's nothing that kills motivation faster than that and if you're not motivated, you don't draw and if you don't draw, you don't get better. Also, work smart and focused. If you want to draw good composite animals, draw lots of animals. If you want to draw good people, draw lots of people. If you want to draw good hands, draw many hands specifically. If you want to draw anthromorphic creatures, you're going to need both people and animals. Focus on what specially you want to draw well and practice drawing that thing.
@Knoxxi
Knoxxi wrote on 2019-02-24 04:43:35:
I made this
willum.jpeg
idk what it is but it's bad :')

This is called a "composite creature" It basically means an animal made up of several different animals. Dragons and most mythological creatures are composites.

I see very clearly, a squid, a blue whale, an anglerfish, a marlin and an alligator (hands).

If you want to make this creature look amazing, try drawing each of the animals it's made out of first (use references).

By doing that, you'll get a feel for the little details each creature brings to the table in the parts you're using.
For example, the head shape of a blue whale.

photo_verybig_190436.jpg

For some general advice, make sure you're drawing for yourself and have fun doing it! I know it's not easy, but try not to compare yourself to other artists. There's nothing that kills motivation faster than that and if you're not motivated, you don't draw and if you don't draw, you don't get better.

Also, work smart and focused. If you want to draw good composite animals, draw lots of animals. If you want to draw good people, draw lots of people. If you want to draw good hands, draw many hands specifically. If you want to draw anthromorphic creatures, you're going to need both people and animals. Focus on what specially you want to draw well and practice drawing that thing.

YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

@EclipseDragon
I honestly didn't know i put a marlin and an aligator into that thing, I just gave it fins because I like those and arms because arms
@EclipseDragon
I honestly didn't know i put a marlin and an aligator into that thing, I just gave it fins because I like those and arms because arms
akueye3.png
@Knoxxi On second glance, it's probably more a sailfish rather than a marlin, they have some pretty extraordinary fins. [img]https://cdn.fisherpants.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/1-1.jpg[/img] But those are some pretty straightforward gator hands and gator arms are awesome arms. They look almost like they're covered in plate armor. [img]http://www.human-resonance.org/hybrid_kings9.jpg[/img] If you were to take the angular head and body shape of a blue whale, and you covered the upper body in the armor of an alligator, then go into the squid lower half... that'd be a really formidable looking creature. [img]https://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embed_tablet/public/2018/11/21/american-alligator.jpg[/img]
@Knoxxi

On second glance, it's probably more a sailfish rather than a marlin, they have some pretty extraordinary fins.

1-1.jpg

But those are some pretty straightforward gator hands and gator arms are awesome arms. They look almost like they're covered in plate armor.

hybrid_kings9.jpg

If you were to take the angular head and body shape of a blue whale, and you covered the upper body in the armor of an alligator, then go into the squid lower half... that'd be a really formidable looking creature.

american-alligator.jpg

YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

1 2 3 4 5 6