Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Sum Ting’s Coliseum Guide
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
love this! thanks for taking the time to write this out :D
love this! thanks for taking the time to write this out :D
RJKPkOA.png

I am always looking to buy Holiday Currency!
@SumTingWong Thanks so much for writing this! This should help me alot when it come to not geting my team killed XD

<333
@SumTingWong Thanks so much for writing this! This should help me alot when it come to not geting my team killed XD

<333
jolteon_by_crisseykitty-d4c7oei.gif
Ahhh lordy, I wish I&#039;d seen this before I started using my dragon&#039;s stat points willy-nilly |D Thank you for writing this, it&#039;ll sure be helpful!~
(The pictures made me giggle quite a bit- Thanks for that, too |D)
Ahhh lordy, I wish I&#039;d seen this before I started using my dragon&#039;s stat points willy-nilly |D Thank you for writing this, it&#039;ll sure be helpful!~
(The pictures made me giggle quite a bit- Thanks for that, too |D)
ulz7t.gif7s19c.gifw4r7r.gif
Oh My Shadowbinder this is perfect! @SumTingWong
I still haven&#039;t gotten the chance to sit down and read ALL of this yet, but what I have read has been very useful, and should continue to be extremely helpful!!
ALSO "Why does my dragon smell like burnt cow" literally made me fall over laughing! <3
And the PVP photo is ridiculously accurate! I can&#039;t thank you enough for the time you put into creating this, not only as a fellow Shadow member, but in general! I can&#039;t imagine how long and hard you worked on this. So thank you for sharing!!! <3
Oh My Shadowbinder this is perfect! @SumTingWong
I still haven&#039;t gotten the chance to sit down and read ALL of this yet, but what I have read has been very useful, and should continue to be extremely helpful!!
ALSO "Why does my dragon smell like burnt cow" literally made me fall over laughing! <3
And the PVP photo is ridiculously accurate! I can&#039;t thank you enough for the time you put into creating this, not only as a fellow Shadow member, but in general! I can&#039;t imagine how long and hard you worked on this. So thank you for sharing!!! <3
38ff9214bdb66c074a73e6d7ebebac91e0bbb935.png
@SumTingWong - Interesting read.

--- The following post applies to PvE only ---

I&#039;m a huge fan of aggressive builds myself (Damage stat + AGI + Quick with leftover points in Vit). The leftover points give enough Vit to survive a big crit or two, and I find that I simply don&#039;t need any DEF or Mind at all for this strategy.

One thing that I&#039;d like to mention is that Regeneration is ridiculously good for PvE chaining with this kind of build (as long as your mage has Discipline; it cannot be sustained otherwise). I can chain for for a good 2 hours (constantly chaining until I outlevel the entire area) unless I run into a bad string of focus fire crits on a single dragon. I don&#039;t lose the battle if this happens, but obviously I have to stop chaining.

I&#039;ve had great success with both 2x mage + 1x physical and 2x physical + 1x mage.

Buffs work great on physicals because they generate 5 Breath (only 1 less than Scratch) and they give a relatively HUGE amount of stats, so if your Scratch isn&#039;t gonna kill something anyway, the buff is worth using. However, I hate using the 5 Breath generating buffs on mages because they have Meditate. Their time is better spent Meditating and casting expensive stuff like Regen or Reflect, putting the Contuse debuff on enemies, or helping to nuke down a weakness before it moves.

Haste on the physical is my pick for the 2x mage + 1x physical team because more turns alleviates the Meditate issue. I personally think that Haste is superior to the Int buff for mages because they don&#039;t benefit from Int during Meditate or when they cast utility spells like Reflect. More turns = more Meditate = more chances of that sexy Discipline proc = more nasty spells being thrown out.

Double Rally on the physicals would be my choice for 2x physical + 1x mage because you can easily make up the lost dps from the opening Scratch with the additional damage that a double Rally self buff gives your two physicals. In some cases, especially when you have elemental weaknesses to exploit, it is also possible to actually save turns overall with double Rally. While I&#039;m a gigantic fan of haste effects in pretty much every game, I think that mixing in Haste for the 2x physical + 1x mage setup is inferior to double Rally because you lose the flexibility of skipping a buff turn with one physical while the other uses the (buffed) physical damage move. Also, unlike mages, the advantage of more turns isn&#039;t as much of a no-brainer for physicals. What&#039;re they gonna do with one extra turn at normal STR, get 6 breath from Scratch? :P

I like PvP in most games, but I haven&#039;t actually fought a PvP battle in this game so far. Queue times too long with max level dragons atm, and I don&#039;t feel like leaving some at level 11 or w/e just so I can grind PvP.

[EDIT]: Edited to clarify that I&#039;m only discussing PvE in this post, to avoid confusing anyone who may be reading it.
@SumTingWong - Interesting read.

--- The following post applies to PvE only ---

I&#039;m a huge fan of aggressive builds myself (Damage stat + AGI + Quick with leftover points in Vit). The leftover points give enough Vit to survive a big crit or two, and I find that I simply don&#039;t need any DEF or Mind at all for this strategy.

One thing that I&#039;d like to mention is that Regeneration is ridiculously good for PvE chaining with this kind of build (as long as your mage has Discipline; it cannot be sustained otherwise). I can chain for for a good 2 hours (constantly chaining until I outlevel the entire area) unless I run into a bad string of focus fire crits on a single dragon. I don&#039;t lose the battle if this happens, but obviously I have to stop chaining.

I&#039;ve had great success with both 2x mage + 1x physical and 2x physical + 1x mage.

Buffs work great on physicals because they generate 5 Breath (only 1 less than Scratch) and they give a relatively HUGE amount of stats, so if your Scratch isn&#039;t gonna kill something anyway, the buff is worth using. However, I hate using the 5 Breath generating buffs on mages because they have Meditate. Their time is better spent Meditating and casting expensive stuff like Regen or Reflect, putting the Contuse debuff on enemies, or helping to nuke down a weakness before it moves.

Haste on the physical is my pick for the 2x mage + 1x physical team because more turns alleviates the Meditate issue. I personally think that Haste is superior to the Int buff for mages because they don&#039;t benefit from Int during Meditate or when they cast utility spells like Reflect. More turns = more Meditate = more chances of that sexy Discipline proc = more nasty spells being thrown out.

Double Rally on the physicals would be my choice for 2x physical + 1x mage because you can easily make up the lost dps from the opening Scratch with the additional damage that a double Rally self buff gives your two physicals. In some cases, especially when you have elemental weaknesses to exploit, it is also possible to actually save turns overall with double Rally. While I&#039;m a gigantic fan of haste effects in pretty much every game, I think that mixing in Haste for the 2x physical + 1x mage setup is inferior to double Rally because you lose the flexibility of skipping a buff turn with one physical while the other uses the (buffed) physical damage move. Also, unlike mages, the advantage of more turns isn&#039;t as much of a no-brainer for physicals. What&#039;re they gonna do with one extra turn at normal STR, get 6 breath from Scratch? :P

I like PvP in most games, but I haven&#039;t actually fought a PvP battle in this game so far. Queue times too long with max level dragons atm, and I don&#039;t feel like leaving some at level 11 or w/e just so I can grind PvP.

[EDIT]: Edited to clarify that I&#039;m only discussing PvE in this post, to avoid confusing anyone who may be reading it.
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
@Sylvandyr Glad you enjoyed the read.

Yes, I too use a 2x Magic 1x Physical build and I&#039;ve had a moderate amount of success with it. The only problem team that seems to repeatedly beat me is the Glass Cannon-Stone Wall/Support-Mage build. I just don&#039;t have enough power to bring any of them down before they can swoop in and defend or heal.

Unfortunately, especially with repeated focused fire, Regeneration in PvP isn&#039;t often as good as Aid unless you can somehow shield and protect the one being regened. Often when my opponents use Regen, their dragon is dead before it&#039;s ticked more than once or twice.

I haven&#039;t experimented with Rally yet, so I&#039;d be interested to see (if you ever give PvP a real go) how it works for you over a haste based focus for a 2 physical dragon build. :)
@Sylvandyr Glad you enjoyed the read.

Yes, I too use a 2x Magic 1x Physical build and I&#039;ve had a moderate amount of success with it. The only problem team that seems to repeatedly beat me is the Glass Cannon-Stone Wall/Support-Mage build. I just don&#039;t have enough power to bring any of them down before they can swoop in and defend or heal.

Unfortunately, especially with repeated focused fire, Regeneration in PvP isn&#039;t often as good as Aid unless you can somehow shield and protect the one being regened. Often when my opponents use Regen, their dragon is dead before it&#039;s ticked more than once or twice.

I haven&#039;t experimented with Rally yet, so I&#039;d be interested to see (if you ever give PvP a real go) how it works for you over a haste based focus for a 2 physical dragon build. :)
FR_ShadowBan1_zps37b55c4b.png
... Is Sum Ting Wong?
@SumTingWong
Mind if I add this to the useful link list?
@SumTingWong
Mind if I add this to the useful link list?
FRFlightPrideBannerWind_zps362d3fa9.png
I'm back, but life is being complicated. It probably will take awhile for me to reply, because I log on irratically.
@Salmastryon Go for it.
@Salmastryon Go for it.
FR_ShadowBan1_zps37b55c4b.png
... Is Sum Ting Wong?
I&#039;d been wondering about the cow smell. Thank you for that enlightening piece of information!
I&#039;d been wondering about the cow smell. Thank you for that enlightening piece of information!
@SumTingWong - Ah, my post was strictly about PvE.

I actually scoffed at Regeneration at first because I&#039;ve got a more PvP-oriented mindset, but after realizing that I&#039;m way too impatient for the current PvP queues, I just stayed straight PvE. Tried it out as a placeholder on my mage and was *really* surprised at how good it was for PvE chaining. I think healing of any kind is worthless in PvP at this time for an offensive strategy (Aid didn&#039;t heal *that* much when I looked at it?). The only thing that could make it worthwhile it is if Aid gave full health on a near-dead target that has a decent amount of Vit, but you&#039;re still giving the enemy a dangerous opportunity to, well, destroy you in a focus fire instead of doing the same to them. So, meh to mediocre heals for now (at least for pure offensive builds). It can work with the tank/mage team that you mentioned, maybe - but Guard is too random for my liking in PvP and I don&#039;t personally trust it. One missed guard and you may have a dead mage :<

I&#039;ll let you know my results if I ever try a double Rally in PvP. I think it would be better against a tank team because bleed damage seems to scale *very* well with STR (do bleeds ignore DEF?) and less times hitting the tank = less Eliminate spam, so yay to more damage in one hit. However, against another blitz team, I&#039;d be more inclined to go Haste. Turn order in PvP is usually a lot more important...
@SumTingWong - Ah, my post was strictly about PvE.

I actually scoffed at Regeneration at first because I&#039;ve got a more PvP-oriented mindset, but after realizing that I&#039;m way too impatient for the current PvP queues, I just stayed straight PvE. Tried it out as a placeholder on my mage and was *really* surprised at how good it was for PvE chaining. I think healing of any kind is worthless in PvP at this time for an offensive strategy (Aid didn&#039;t heal *that* much when I looked at it?). The only thing that could make it worthwhile it is if Aid gave full health on a near-dead target that has a decent amount of Vit, but you&#039;re still giving the enemy a dangerous opportunity to, well, destroy you in a focus fire instead of doing the same to them. So, meh to mediocre heals for now (at least for pure offensive builds). It can work with the tank/mage team that you mentioned, maybe - but Guard is too random for my liking in PvP and I don&#039;t personally trust it. One missed guard and you may have a dead mage :<

I&#039;ll let you know my results if I ever try a double Rally in PvP. I think it would be better against a tank team because bleed damage seems to scale *very* well with STR (do bleeds ignore DEF?) and less times hitting the tank = less Eliminate spam, so yay to more damage in one hit. However, against another blitz team, I&#039;d be more inclined to go Haste. Turn order in PvP is usually a lot more important...
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
1 2 3 4 5 6 7