Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Archive of Our Own?
1 2
@Hollyshark: On the rare occasions I upload something, I always type it in Google Docs and then copy and paste it into the “Rich Text Format” tab. That will preserve italics and such.

@liathea: I looked for fanfics for “The Book of the Named” series and found none.
@Hollyshark: On the rare occasions I upload something, I always type it in Google Docs and then copy and paste it into the “Rich Text Format” tab. That will preserve italics and such.

@liathea: I looked for fanfics for “The Book of the Named” series and found none.
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
[quote name="@PrehistoryMaker" date="2018-12-19 14:35:58" ] @/Hollyshark: On the rare occasions I upload something, I always type it in Google Docs and then copy and paste it into the “Rich Text Format” tab. That will preserve italics and such. [/quote] you've just saved my life omg thank you lmao
@PrehistoryMaker wrote on 2018-12-19 14:35:58:
@/Hollyshark: On the rare occasions I upload something, I always type it in Google Docs and then copy and paste it into the “Rich Text Format” tab. That will preserve italics and such.

you've just saved my life omg thank you lmao
Ollie | he/him
eGiN2Xv.png F8WMfQz.png thDLJf3.png
Yeah even though I don't write very much, I love AO3. The tagging system is great, I appreciate the sheer amount of fandoms represented, and being able to leave kudos is great. As a writer, I really appreciate having even a limited ability to fool around with HTML -- ff.net and tumblr really limit what you can effectively do with formatting, but AO3 gives you a lot more options.
Yeah even though I don't write very much, I love AO3. The tagging system is great, I appreciate the sheer amount of fandoms represented, and being able to leave kudos is great. As a writer, I really appreciate having even a limited ability to fool around with HTML -- ff.net and tumblr really limit what you can effectively do with formatting, but AO3 gives you a lot more options.
ZM3TQUN.png
AO3 is a way better site than FFN. No ads, good formatting (jump to chapters isn't a thing FFN has iirc), support for stuff like colored text/special fonts/embedded stuff. Kudos is also a way better metric for popularity, since FFN reviews tend to be 'update soon' or the like (leaving short but good stuff at a disadvantage). You've also got native epub or whatnot output.

The tagging system is also robust, and they actually separate separate series. With FFN stuff like Kamen Rider (which has at least 15 separate series) are ALL lumped in the same fandom and you have to use the world tags to get the series you want. Nobody uses the world tags. It's awful.

My one complaint: if you're not going to set limits on what you allow, for the love of heck please allow users to permanently hide certain fics from showing up and allow users to set default search filters. There are extensions for it, yeah, but that stuff doesn't work on mobile, which is how a lot of people read fic.
AO3 is a way better site than FFN. No ads, good formatting (jump to chapters isn't a thing FFN has iirc), support for stuff like colored text/special fonts/embedded stuff. Kudos is also a way better metric for popularity, since FFN reviews tend to be 'update soon' or the like (leaving short but good stuff at a disadvantage). You've also got native epub or whatnot output.

The tagging system is also robust, and they actually separate separate series. With FFN stuff like Kamen Rider (which has at least 15 separate series) are ALL lumped in the same fandom and you have to use the world tags to get the series you want. Nobody uses the world tags. It's awful.

My one complaint: if you're not going to set limits on what you allow, for the love of heck please allow users to permanently hide certain fics from showing up and allow users to set default search filters. There are extensions for it, yeah, but that stuff doesn't work on mobile, which is how a lot of people read fic.
I've been using AO3 for a long time and I love it! It's usually where I read fics since the tagging and range is much better than FFN, but FFN still wins in the uploading category for me (+ the app, though I feel like they were working on one- or at least showing interest?).
I've been using AO3 for a long time and I love it! It's usually where I read fics since the tagging and range is much better than FFN, but FFN still wins in the uploading category for me (+ the app, though I feel like they were working on one- or at least showing interest?).
I'm a little biased towards AO3 because it reunited the fanfic community after Fandomination exploded.

Storytime for those who don't know:
Fandomination .net, unlike FFnet, allowed stories about real people. All the band fanfics were on FD and the site started picking up traffic when FFnet started making changes to their rules and pushing people out. Unfortunately, FD was running out of money and people were skeptical about donating because Wikipedia was running their (first?) donation drive at the same time. We all knew Wikipedia wasn't going to go under so we assumed FD would be the same. Until one day FD went down and never came back up. Thousands of stories gone with no backups.

After that, there was no consensus of where the writers would go. People split between Quizilla, Mibbo, QuoteV, and other fandom-specific sites. It was a hassle to find anything good quality because you had to check 3+ places and tags weren't consistent.

I can't remember how many years it was between FD dying and AO3 coming to life, but that put an end to the struggle. Everyone is on AO3 now (except those weird people who main Wattpad, but they're mostly original work) and their tags work great. There's still a problem with Panic At The Disco crossovers popping up everywhere, but I can live with that.
I'm a little biased towards AO3 because it reunited the fanfic community after Fandomination exploded.

Storytime for those who don't know:
Fandomination .net, unlike FFnet, allowed stories about real people. All the band fanfics were on FD and the site started picking up traffic when FFnet started making changes to their rules and pushing people out. Unfortunately, FD was running out of money and people were skeptical about donating because Wikipedia was running their (first?) donation drive at the same time. We all knew Wikipedia wasn't going to go under so we assumed FD would be the same. Until one day FD went down and never came back up. Thousands of stories gone with no backups.

After that, there was no consensus of where the writers would go. People split between Quizilla, Mibbo, QuoteV, and other fandom-specific sites. It was a hassle to find anything good quality because you had to check 3+ places and tags weren't consistent.

I can't remember how many years it was between FD dying and AO3 coming to life, but that put an end to the struggle. Everyone is on AO3 now (except those weird people who main Wattpad, but they're mostly original work) and their tags work great. There's still a problem with Panic At The Disco crossovers popping up everywhere, but I can live with that.
1 2