Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Roleplay Help || Character Advice (open)
1 2 3
Writing Tip #3:
I see a lot of people confuse 'Affect' and 'Effect', and so here's a simple guide;
Affect is a verb.
Effect is a noun.
"It was cause and effect."
"Her loss affected her mood."
Easy to get mixed up, but there's some clarification! :0
Writing Tip #3:
I see a lot of people confuse 'Affect' and 'Effect', and so here's a simple guide;
Affect is a verb.
Effect is a noun.
"It was cause and effect."
"Her loss affected her mood."
Easy to get mixed up, but there's some clarification! :0
webp_net_gifmaker_by_scryzzethekat-dchbqn7.gif
|| Art Shop

|| Bio Templates
_______ |
|
|
|
|
_______

I am typically not
subscribed to my
threads; ping me
if unsure!
Character Tip #3: Character tropes are hard to avoid, and it's fine when your characters have one or two-- but try not to follow them exactly! Characters are more than just "the mom friend" or "sassy young woman", so make sure to give them depth behind the most basic of descriptions. :0
Character Tip #3: Character tropes are hard to avoid, and it's fine when your characters have one or two-- but try not to follow them exactly! Characters are more than just "the mom friend" or "sassy young woman", so make sure to give them depth behind the most basic of descriptions. :0
|| Art Shop

|| Bio Templates
_______ |
|
|
|
|
_______

I am typically not
subscribed to my
threads; ping me
if unsure!
Writing Tip #4: The setting is always important, so make sure you include it in your posts! Especially on starters or the beginning of new scenes, so other players (or readers) know where to put their characters and who's in relation to whom. Describing the scenery can also greatly help with setting a mood.
Writing Tip #4: The setting is always important, so make sure you include it in your posts! Especially on starters or the beginning of new scenes, so other players (or readers) know where to put their characters and who's in relation to whom. Describing the scenery can also greatly help with setting a mood.
|| Art Shop

|| Bio Templates
_______ |
|
|
|
|
_______

I am typically not
subscribed to my
threads; ping me
if unsure!
wow, i really wish i had these when i was first starting out with rping!! tysm for making this thread, i think it's very useful!!

that being said, i think another important tip is to make sure that your character fits the setting!! there definitely were people of different genders and sexualities throughout different time periods, but don't shove someone that wouldn't fit into medieval times into medieval times!! further along on that topic, i get dysphoria is a giant problem for some, but it honestly (at least from my experience) won't define someone's entire character and existence. people are multifaceted, not just generic traits or literally their gender identity or sexuality. i think some people that aren't trans/lgbtq+ and try to write trans/lgbtq+ characters forget that^^
wow, i really wish i had these when i was first starting out with rping!! tysm for making this thread, i think it's very useful!!

that being said, i think another important tip is to make sure that your character fits the setting!! there definitely were people of different genders and sexualities throughout different time periods, but don't shove someone that wouldn't fit into medieval times into medieval times!! further along on that topic, i get dysphoria is a giant problem for some, but it honestly (at least from my experience) won't define someone's entire character and existence. people are multifaceted, not just generic traits or literally their gender identity or sexuality. i think some people that aren't trans/lgbtq+ and try to write trans/lgbtq+ characters forget that^^
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
YYECfor.png
â–‘
â–‘
â–‘
â–‘
â–‘
â–‘
â–‘
â–‘
â–‘
â–‘
╔═══════════════════╗

╚═══════════════════╝
And that makes for a good point with this next tip~

Character Tip #4: If you want to create a character of a nationality/sexuality/gender identity/whatever that's different than your own, make sure to do research! A lot of people slap on a few tropes from a group because they think it's cool, but to the people of that group, it can come off as a bit insulting. Always do research, and always make sure that one aspect doesn't define your entire being! There's a lot to people, and to make a character that feels like a real person, there needs to be a lot to them, too. You don't have to iron out every detail down to their favorite finger, but give them ideals and a solid core, rather than just their likes and dislikes.
And that makes for a good point with this next tip~

Character Tip #4: If you want to create a character of a nationality/sexuality/gender identity/whatever that's different than your own, make sure to do research! A lot of people slap on a few tropes from a group because they think it's cool, but to the people of that group, it can come off as a bit insulting. Always do research, and always make sure that one aspect doesn't define your entire being! There's a lot to people, and to make a character that feels like a real person, there needs to be a lot to them, too. You don't have to iron out every detail down to their favorite finger, but give them ideals and a solid core, rather than just their likes and dislikes.
|| Art Shop

|| Bio Templates
_______ |
|
|
|
|
_______

I am typically not
subscribed to my
threads; ping me
if unsure!
Writing Tip #5: Be sure to avoid using the same words over and over again in a short period of time! Repetition of the same vocabulary has its uses, however when looking to write a well-flowing narrative, keep using new terms so the old ones don't lose importance!
Repetition can be used for emphasis, usually by using the same word/phrase intentionally in a pattern that mimics itself. It's good for driving a point home, or to make certain details pop out and stay with the reader.
Writing Tip #5: Be sure to avoid using the same words over and over again in a short period of time! Repetition of the same vocabulary has its uses, however when looking to write a well-flowing narrative, keep using new terms so the old ones don't lose importance!
Repetition can be used for emphasis, usually by using the same word/phrase intentionally in a pattern that mimics itself. It's good for driving a point home, or to make certain details pop out and stay with the reader.
|| Art Shop

|| Bio Templates
_______ |
|
|
|
|
_______

I am typically not
subscribed to my
threads; ping me
if unsure!
Actually Im going to ask if you would have any tips for me :3
In simple words Im creating a sort of Jekyll and Hyde character. The character constantly battles with his "moral" and "primal" side. It is a lycan that refuses to accept who he is. He tries to live a somewhat normal life but his "instincts" get in the way.

This character is fairly new to me but Im really loving himand Id love to make some good out of it but Im having trouble finding a suitable way to portray my character...

Atm Im writing from his moral perspective with his primal instincts telling him things but I honestly feel like Im missing something?

Also hix moral side is dominating now but this will change over time...
Actually Im going to ask if you would have any tips for me :3
In simple words Im creating a sort of Jekyll and Hyde character. The character constantly battles with his "moral" and "primal" side. It is a lycan that refuses to accept who he is. He tries to live a somewhat normal life but his "instincts" get in the way.

This character is fairly new to me but Im really loving himand Id love to make some good out of it but Im having trouble finding a suitable way to portray my character...

Atm Im writing from his moral perspective with his primal instincts telling him things but I honestly feel like Im missing something?

Also hix moral side is dominating now but this will change over time...
37bVriD.png....
Lair of a Fox's madness
He/Him | FR+9
Bilingual English / Polish
Wishlist
cvLaV29.png
@ImaTiger
I'd say it mostly depends on how you're portraying the primal side-- is it simply animalistic, or actively destructive in nature? Is it sapient, or does it have no conscious thoughts and just impulses?

Either way, I'd just say to make sure its intentions are consistent, as well as making sure it has some sort of 'goal' (be safe, be the strongest around, not be hungry, etc for simple stuff). I can't give many tips since I don't know any details, as a lot of what I can say changes depending on the situation, hah.
@ImaTiger
I'd say it mostly depends on how you're portraying the primal side-- is it simply animalistic, or actively destructive in nature? Is it sapient, or does it have no conscious thoughts and just impulses?

Either way, I'd just say to make sure its intentions are consistent, as well as making sure it has some sort of 'goal' (be safe, be the strongest around, not be hungry, etc for simple stuff). I can't give many tips since I don't know any details, as a lot of what I can say changes depending on the situation, hah.
|| Art Shop

|| Bio Templates
_______ |
|
|
|
|
_______

I am typically not
subscribed to my
threads; ping me
if unsure!
The primal side tries to be very demanding and its main priority now is to get my oc to eat meat, raw at that because he starves himself when it comes to satisfing his werewolf needs. It wants to hunt, especially the people around him.

It consists of both thoughts and impulses, for instance it gives him ideas while when he is walking he unintentionally can sneak when approuching someone.
The primal side tries to be very demanding and its main priority now is to get my oc to eat meat, raw at that because he starves himself when it comes to satisfing his werewolf needs. It wants to hunt, especially the people around him.

It consists of both thoughts and impulses, for instance it gives him ideas while when he is walking he unintentionally can sneak when approuching someone.
37bVriD.png....
Lair of a Fox's madness
He/Him | FR+9
Bilingual English / Polish
Wishlist
cvLaV29.png
1 2 3