Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Riot of Rot 2018
1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 58 59
Yay! Happy Riot of Rot to every plagueling and to everone else as well!
Let's get this event started! I'm excited to see all of your dressed up plague dragons!
deitydoll_plaguebringer_by_dogi_crimson-daiihca.gif
Yay! Happy Riot of Rot to every plagueling and to everone else as well!
Let's get this event started! I'm excited to see all of your dressed up plague dragons!
deitydoll_plaguebringer_by_dogi_crimson-daiihca.gif
happy riot of rot! this is reallyyy cool!!!
happy riot of rot! this is reallyyy cool!!!
atypicalalien - fr+3 - the pretty dragon hoarder
eLnOQha.gif
Happy Riot of Rot!

Not happy about the halo but I'm loving those pants!
Happy Riot of Rot!

Not happy about the halo but I'm loving those pants!
Jar of Vapors I collect Bottled Embers and Jar Of Vapors!
WishList
Bottled Embers
Aaaahhhh cool
Aaaahhhh cool
i was *super* excited for this but like. im pretty dissapointed in the halo.

im aware nothing can be done now, but i feel like staff should at least acknowledge that it wasnt what was expected- where is my halo? thats not a halo, its a riot of riot wreath.

other than that, im a fan of most everything else! a lil uncertain abt the legs. idk if theyll layer well with the kilt and my plague reps only have so many legs.

im aware nothing can be done now, but i feel like staff should at least acknowledge that it wasnt what was expected- where is my halo? thats not a halo, its a riot of riot wreath.

other than that, im a fan of most everything else! a lil uncertain abt the legs. idk if theyll layer well with the kilt and my plague reps only have so many legs.
♥♥♥♥♥ AYZQQJX.gif hewwo black holes

art shop
DISCORD/CHY
HE/HIM
PING ME
toyhouse
hewwo black holes 19135259_VtKZb6nf8O405md.gif
So many skins that look terrible on my dragons xD
So many skins that look terrible on my dragons xD
RWw9m2h.png Pixel-lv-1.png
Can I just cry at how gorgeous those skins are
Can I just cry at how gorgeous those skins are
sYUjWuT.png3oK9yVt.png37yDNJ7.pngY9UJi8K.png
big yeet
big yeet
[quote name="Ahriman" date="2018-10-28 07:44:18" ] it's a bit funny that we have in one 'period' two types of halos: Light, Lightning, Arcane that look a bit more 'tribal' or 'abstract', and then there are Fire and now Plague, resembling the elements. Like you guys couldn't decide which trend to pick... xD [/quote] In a way, they're all resembling the elements. The reason the Light, Lightning, and Arcane ones glow is because that resembles their element. Light is obviously yellow and glowing, Lightning is spiky, blue, and glowing, and Arcane is glowing pink magic. But Fire and Plague are better represented in a bulkier way, because they are bulkier elements. I don't think there was ever meant to be two styles, it's just how the first few flights happened to be represented. And since Light and Lightning both looked lighter and brighter, people assumed that was how all of them would be. I predict that Earth will get a rock halo, Ice will get a frozen halo, Shadow will get a dark swirly halo, Wind will get a swirling wind halo, Water will get a bubble halo, and Nature will get a leafy halo. None of them will be glowing and abstract like the first few, I don't think, because none of the remaining elements actually glow like Light, Lightning, and Arcane do.
Ahriman wrote on 2018-10-28 07:44:18:
it's a bit funny that we have in one 'period' two types of halos: Light, Lightning, Arcane that look a bit more 'tribal' or 'abstract', and then there are Fire and now Plague, resembling the elements. Like you guys couldn't decide which trend to pick... xD

In a way, they're all resembling the elements. The reason the Light, Lightning, and Arcane ones glow is because that resembles their element. Light is obviously yellow and glowing, Lightning is spiky, blue, and glowing, and Arcane is glowing pink magic. But Fire and Plague are better represented in a bulkier way, because they are bulkier elements.

I don't think there was ever meant to be two styles, it's just how the first few flights happened to be represented. And since Light and Lightning both looked lighter and brighter, people assumed that was how all of them would be.

I predict that Earth will get a rock halo, Ice will get a frozen halo, Shadow will get a dark swirly halo, Wind will get a swirling wind halo, Water will get a bubble halo, and Nature will get a leafy halo. None of them will be glowing and abstract like the first few, I don't think, because none of the remaining elements actually glow like Light, Lightning, and Arcane do.
ZRFPHFU.pngDaxXxIb.png
[quote name="SporkLord" date="2018-10-28 07:24:58" ] Imma be blunt here, I'm hella disappointed this year. It's the Fire halo all over again. Fitting for the flight? Yes. Fitting for the halo theme? Not really. Excessive with the potential to be a real eyesore? Oh, definitely. I would have loved to see red glowing patterns reminiscent of the Plague symbol, but nope. Instead it's a mess of things fished out of the Wyrmwound and fashioned into a circle. But there's also the familiar. A serthis. Really? Serthis aren't the only beastclans in Plague. It would've been amazing to have a vulture-like Raptorik decked out in some tattered garb. But of course it's the most typical Beastclan of the Plaguelands. I'm not saying either are necessarily bad, but just disappointing. The artwork for both of them is amazing. The serthis really does look nice and I'm in awe of the detail of the halo. I actually like the artwork for it for the most part. It seems to me, one of the core problems with this halo and the Fire one is that they're called "halos" when they really aren't. This one in particular is more akin to a wreath and defies the definition of halo. Halos are a thing a LOT of people are familiar with, so there isn't much leeway to call these things halos when they're not halos. I believe a better choice of term for these items would have really improved how the user base views them. On a more positive note. Plague pants. I gotta get me several pairs of these lovely Plague pants. And several of those skins have really caught my eye this year. [/quote] [quote name="Cloche" date="2018-10-28 07:48:58" ] [quote name="CountingChocobos" date="2018-10-28 07:04:29" ] Oooh, honorable mention! ;o; -+- If only we could have 2 separate years of halos. One year for the stylized "glow-y" halos (Light, Lightning and Arcane.) and a second year for a more literal elemental halo, (Fire and Plague.) Both styles have their uses, but somewhat clash and don't feel entirely like an unified idea with the designs? [/quote] Yeah this is how i felt about the fire one. Half are like magical runes and the other half are physical objects. It's like both are cool but they don't feel unified at all.. [/quote] [quote name="AceZaslavsky" date="2018-10-28 08:46:42" ] What the heck happened to the halo....why wouldn't it be non-material like the others?? I was really looking forward to a deep glowing red halo bc that was logically what we were supposed to get. I'm sorry to vent, but it's kind of a huge let down. My first RoR in Plague flight and I'm a bit disappointed. No new venue, a repeat kilt-style apparel and a non-halo halo :( [/quote] [quote name="Zonemod" date="2018-10-28 09:06:51" ] i was *super* excited for this but like. im pretty dissapointed in the halo. im aware nothing can be done now, but i feel like staff should at least acknowledge that it wasnt what was expected- where is my halo? thats not a halo, its a riot of riot wreath. [/quote] [b]OPs May I Kin You?[/b] ----- I saw the post in the middle of the forums saying to be kind to the artists, and I understand that-- we're not trying to insult the artists directly. The art is good! It [i]looks[/i] good for what it is! But [i]what it is[/i] is not what the people were expecting nor really... wanting, and that's the problem. The reception to the fire "halo" was mixed due to its style. Most people were generally more accepting of the ornate halos like light, arcane, and lightning. In fact, just from reading this forum, it seems most people were wanting a plague halo in the style of the latter (myself included). The comments about the style between halos being disjointed are becoming more and more justified. This really does feel more like a wreath, and if we had a year of fest apparel that were all just wreaths, I'd be more than content with this design for plague! But again, the problem is that it doesn't follow what we've been shown before-- we've come to expect the ornate designs for halos, we [i]liked[/i] them, and a decent chunk of people [i]didn't[/i] like the non-ornate design for fire, so... why do it again? There's a time and a place for experimentation, but when you set something up to follow a set pattern, don't flip it partway through. That's just a recipe for [s]an upset community[/s] disaster.
SporkLord wrote on 2018-10-28 07:24:58:
Imma be blunt here, I'm hella disappointed this year. It's the Fire halo all over again. Fitting for the flight? Yes. Fitting for the halo theme? Not really. Excessive with the potential to be a real eyesore? Oh, definitely. I would have loved to see red glowing patterns reminiscent of the Plague symbol, but nope. Instead it's a mess of things fished out of the Wyrmwound and fashioned into a circle.

But there's also the familiar. A serthis. Really? Serthis aren't the only beastclans in Plague. It would've been amazing to have a vulture-like Raptorik decked out in some tattered garb. But of course it's the most typical Beastclan of the Plaguelands.

I'm not saying either are necessarily bad, but just disappointing. The artwork for both of them is amazing. The serthis really does look nice and I'm in awe of the detail of the halo. I actually like the artwork for it for the most part. It seems to me, one of the core problems with this halo and the Fire one is that they're called "halos" when they really aren't. This one in particular is more akin to a wreath and defies the definition of halo. Halos are a thing a LOT of people are familiar with, so there isn't much leeway to call these things halos when they're not halos. I believe a better choice of term for these items would have really improved how the user base views them.

On a more positive note. Plague pants. I gotta get me several pairs of these lovely Plague pants.

And several of those skins have really caught my eye this year.

Cloche wrote on 2018-10-28 07:48:58:
CountingChocobos wrote on 2018-10-28 07:04:29:
Oooh, honorable mention! ;o;

-+-

If only we could have 2 separate years of halos. One year for the stylized "glow-y" halos (Light, Lightning and Arcane.) and a second year for a more literal elemental halo, (Fire and Plague.)

Both styles have their uses, but somewhat clash and don't feel entirely like an unified idea with the designs?
Yeah this is how i felt about the fire one. Half are like magical runes and the other half are physical objects. It's like both are cool but they don't feel unified at all..

AceZaslavsky wrote on 2018-10-28 08:46:42:
What the heck happened to the halo....why wouldn't it be non-material like the others?? I was really looking forward to a deep glowing red halo bc that was logically what we were supposed to get. I'm sorry to vent, but it's kind of a huge let down. My first RoR in Plague flight and I'm a bit disappointed. No new venue, a repeat kilt-style apparel and a non-halo halo :(

Zonemod wrote on 2018-10-28 09:06:51:

OPs May I Kin You?

I saw the post in the middle of the forums saying to be kind to the artists, and I understand that-- we're not trying to insult the artists directly. The art is good! It looks good for what it is! But what it is is not what the people were expecting nor really... wanting, and that's the problem.

The reception to the fire "halo" was mixed due to its style. Most people were generally more accepting of the ornate halos like light, arcane, and lightning. In fact, just from reading this forum, it seems most people were wanting a plague halo in the style of the latter (myself included).

The comments about the style between halos being disjointed are becoming more and more justified. This really does feel more like a wreath, and if we had a year of fest apparel that were all just wreaths, I'd be more than content with this design for plague! But again, the problem is that it doesn't follow what we've been shown before-- we've come to expect the ornate designs for halos, we liked them, and a decent chunk of people didn't like the non-ornate design for fire, so... why do it again?

There's a time and a place for experimentation, but when you set something up to follow a set pattern, don't flip it partway through. That's just a recipe for an upset community disaster.
bun | she/they | FR +3
probably a horse
arcane_rune.png famicon.png arcane_rune.png famicon.png arcane_rune.png
looking for any XYZ combo of flaxen/cottoncandy/lavender!
yeehaw.gif
slurp.png
1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 58 59