Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Strange fursonas?
After months of friends bugging me, I finally got guilted into making a fursona. I went really wild and self-indulgent with her design, basing her off of my old dragonborn dnd character and just throwing whatever else I liked at her - angel stuff, lots of eyes, magic.... it wasn't until I was finished with her design when I realized that she maaaaaaay not fit in with the qualifications of a fursona.

The problem is, I don't know what makes the difference between a fursona and just a self-inserty furry OC. Does it have to just look like an anthro, or does it have to BE an anthro? Do people gatekeep fantasy animals from the community? Would she be looked down on because she looks like a mary-sue at first (though I've been making characters long enough to know that she's not)?

I don't want to have to make another, but I have ideas if it's a really big deal.

If you have some fun/interesting fursonas or furry OCs, I'd like to see! Maybe it'll give me an idea of what I have to change or keep.
After months of friends bugging me, I finally got guilted into making a fursona. I went really wild and self-indulgent with her design, basing her off of my old dragonborn dnd character and just throwing whatever else I liked at her - angel stuff, lots of eyes, magic.... it wasn't until I was finished with her design when I realized that she maaaaaaay not fit in with the qualifications of a fursona.

The problem is, I don't know what makes the difference between a fursona and just a self-inserty furry OC. Does it have to just look like an anthro, or does it have to BE an anthro? Do people gatekeep fantasy animals from the community? Would she be looked down on because she looks like a mary-sue at first (though I've been making characters long enough to know that she's not)?

I don't want to have to make another, but I have ideas if it's a really big deal.

If you have some fun/interesting fursonas or furry OCs, I'd like to see! Maybe it'll give me an idea of what I have to change or keep.
banner_v2_shrink.png
I don't think you should overthink it like that. Fursonas are, most of the time, a representation of their creators. I'm sure there are no species that are really looked down on, at most they'll get a funny stare, but that's about it. I've seen bees, spiders, aliens, completely new species and universe specific species like Argonians. Pretty much anything goes, anthro or not.

The most important thing is that you feel good about it, not to comply with everything that's in some unwritten rulebook. This can be a bit tricky and can take a while to nail down, I've seen people rework the appearance and species of their Sona countless times, including myself.

Hope that kinda sorta helped.
I don't think you should overthink it like that. Fursonas are, most of the time, a representation of their creators. I'm sure there are no species that are really looked down on, at most they'll get a funny stare, but that's about it. I've seen bees, spiders, aliens, completely new species and universe specific species like Argonians. Pretty much anything goes, anthro or not.

The most important thing is that you feel good about it, not to comply with everything that's in some unwritten rulebook. This can be a bit tricky and can take a while to nail down, I've seen people rework the appearance and species of their Sona countless times, including myself.

Hope that kinda sorta helped.
[color=green]@Serrangelic I mean heck, my fursona is a literal immortal, telepathic, genderless, emaciated ghost dog who shapeshifts and sometimes has a skull face. And is not an anthro. At all. Ever. Not had anybody gatekeep me so far (though tbf I would fite them if they tried haha). I think the general attitude is to just do whatever the heck makes you happy! This is my dork. Look at this edgy floof. [img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/6a3a/f/2018/191/1/3/seek_ref_mk2__finished__by_turukhan-dcgsyg1.png[/img]
@Serrangelic

I mean heck, my fursona is a literal immortal, telepathic, genderless, emaciated ghost dog who shapeshifts and sometimes has a skull face. And is not an anthro. At all. Ever. Not had anybody gatekeep me so far (though tbf I would fite them if they tried haha).

I think the general attitude is to just do whatever the heck makes you happy!

This is my dork. Look at this edgy floof.

seek_ref_mk2__finished__by_turukhan-dcgsyg1.png

From what I gather, fursonas looks can go through a huge range, from ferals, to anthros, taurs and even kemonomimi(catgirls/boys and this kind of stuff). As Yadukar said, they're the representation to their creators, so you can just go wild with it!
Here are my previous fursonas:
https://imgur.com/QPhAT4x
And this is my current one(I gotta finish his ref, he's basically a chimeric wolf)
https://imgur.com/N7dtcr9
I have a ton of other furry OCs, in fact most of them were anthros, kemonomimi, or could shapeshift between both of those.
From what I gather, fursonas looks can go through a huge range, from ferals, to anthros, taurs and even kemonomimi(catgirls/boys and this kind of stuff). As Yadukar said, they're the representation to their creators, so you can just go wild with it!
Here are my previous fursonas:
https://imgur.com/QPhAT4x
And this is my current one(I gotta finish his ref, he's basically a chimeric wolf)
https://imgur.com/N7dtcr9
I have a ton of other furry OCs, in fact most of them were anthros, kemonomimi, or could shapeshift between both of those.
@yadukar @charias @groadr
That makes me feel a lot better! And I'm loving the characters you showed me :o

@yadukar @charias @groadr
That makes me feel a lot better! And I'm loving the characters you showed me :o

banner_v2_shrink.png
Glad you're feeling better about it. If you have any further struggles, I'd be happy to help.
Glad you're feeling better about it. If you have any further struggles, I'd be happy to help.
There are no rules about fursonas :) It can be a representation of you or a character you relate to or none of the above. It can look however you want its the most fun thing you have, no limitations, no judgement, go wild imo!
There are no rules about fursonas :) It can be a representation of you or a character you relate to or none of the above. It can look however you want its the most fun thing you have, no limitations, no judgement, go wild imo!
fr-banner.jpg
Fursonas, or feathersonas, or even personas can be anything you want them to be! I have five/four and a half sonas (two humanoid, two fursonas, one other) and one is a literal computer

You make whatever feels right to you! :D
Fursonas, or feathersonas, or even personas can be anything you want them to be! I have five/four and a half sonas (two humanoid, two fursonas, one other) and one is a literal computer

You make whatever feels right to you! :D
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
A fursona can be anything you want! They can be feral or anthro, it doesn't really matter. They can be super generic or crazy detailed/eccentric, whatever you like! Mine is a literal representation of myself if I were an anthropomorphic cat lol. Here she is: [img]https://file.toyhou.se/images/6723033_2vlzfRrnzKs9Khb.png[/img] sorry about how randomly large that picture is lol
A fursona can be anything you want! They can be feral or anthro, it doesn't really matter. They can be super generic or crazy detailed/eccentric, whatever you like! Mine is a literal representation of myself if I were an anthropomorphic cat lol. Here she is:

6723033_2vlzfRrnzKs9Khb.png

sorry about how randomly large that picture is lol
Art Shop
Hatchery

celebi.giftumblr_inline_n2t76ssIwF1r9ywrd.gifshadow.gif