Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | How to stop procrastinating?
1 2
So I'm literally the worst procrasinator on the world and everything I try just doesn't work.
Any advice?
So I'm literally the worst procrasinator on the world and everything I try just doesn't work.
Any advice?
akueye3.png
The War of Art is a pretty motivating book on the subject. It's on youtube as an audiobook.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to 'just start'. Sure, you're going to lose focus and fail. Then start again. STarting is actually really easy, the reason we don't want to start is because we don't want to *continue*.
The War of Art is a pretty motivating book on the subject. It's on youtube as an audiobook.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to 'just start'. Sure, you're going to lose focus and fail. Then start again. STarting is actually really easy, the reason we don't want to start is because we don't want to *continue*.
[img]https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/375057[/img]
I'm really horrible with procrastinating as well, just say "I'm going to work on this for __ minutes, then take a break." if you keep chipping off little chunks it's easier, and not as daunting as, "I need to sit down and write this whole entire paper NOW" or "I'm going to clean the whole entire house NOW".
I'm really horrible with procrastinating as well, just say "I'm going to work on this for __ minutes, then take a break." if you keep chipping off little chunks it's easier, and not as daunting as, "I need to sit down and write this whole entire paper NOW" or "I'm going to clean the whole entire house NOW".
WYLy2Ui.gif
Try doing it pieces at a time. Give yourself a defined goal. Do a little at a time. If you can't sit down and do all of it at once, then try doing it step by step. If I'm having a bad day with my writing, I sit down and give myself little goals. Write a single five hundred word snippet from the outline, then go and do something else for a little while. Or edit one page. I find that helps sometimes.

Other than that, the best advice I can think of is this: just start. Just do it. You may lose your train of thought or slip out of focus from time to time. Don't beat yourself up for it. If you have to, take a break and then come back to it. But do the thing you need to do, and push past it.

It may also help to remove distractions. If you're prone to watching shows or movies, turn off the television or click out of your streaming websites. If you're distracted by the internet and need to clean the house or do something else, turn off the computer for a bit. What I do when I know I need to write but feel distracted is turn off everything except for my music, sit down, and type until I find a rhythm. Sometimes it takes a while. But I will find a rhythm at some point, faster if I've removed all distractions and if I've given myself a defined goal, whether that's to finish a chapter, outline, short story, or section of a story.
Try doing it pieces at a time. Give yourself a defined goal. Do a little at a time. If you can't sit down and do all of it at once, then try doing it step by step. If I'm having a bad day with my writing, I sit down and give myself little goals. Write a single five hundred word snippet from the outline, then go and do something else for a little while. Or edit one page. I find that helps sometimes.

Other than that, the best advice I can think of is this: just start. Just do it. You may lose your train of thought or slip out of focus from time to time. Don't beat yourself up for it. If you have to, take a break and then come back to it. But do the thing you need to do, and push past it.

It may also help to remove distractions. If you're prone to watching shows or movies, turn off the television or click out of your streaming websites. If you're distracted by the internet and need to clean the house or do something else, turn off the computer for a bit. What I do when I know I need to write but feel distracted is turn off everything except for my music, sit down, and type until I find a rhythm. Sometimes it takes a while. But I will find a rhythm at some point, faster if I've removed all distractions and if I've given myself a defined goal, whether that's to finish a chapter, outline, short story, or section of a story.
cCYLT6h.png z8s5c34.png
5iXiC8z.png
4BheGMt.png
AaYNmEX.png
Al1BEGR.png
BPzUHdW.png
UuKod4C.png
JvUa9ma.png
5iXIYjY.png
Ironic.
I haven't signed into FR for over a year until today. I'm supposed to be finishing a graphic design project for a studio, but my procrastination brings me anywhere but what I'm supposed to be focusing on. haha.

I'd say the best thing that works for me is to take a couple hours in a day, give or take, and just work away at what you're doing. Even if it seems you're making little to no progress, progress is still progress. You're allowed to take breaks and do other things! But the big part is, is to just TRY and do the thing you need to do. Even just a little bit.

Poorly worded, but I hope you get what I mean. Don't stress yourself out with the big picture! Look at it in pieces and find a comfortable place to start. :)
Ironic.
I haven't signed into FR for over a year until today. I'm supposed to be finishing a graphic design project for a studio, but my procrastination brings me anywhere but what I'm supposed to be focusing on. haha.

I'd say the best thing that works for me is to take a couple hours in a day, give or take, and just work away at what you're doing. Even if it seems you're making little to no progress, progress is still progress. You're allowed to take breaks and do other things! But the big part is, is to just TRY and do the thing you need to do. Even just a little bit.

Poorly worded, but I hope you get what I mean. Don't stress yourself out with the big picture! Look at it in pieces and find a comfortable place to start. :)
tumblr_inline_mv02k2zgSe1rg1lxe.png
How to stop procrastinating?
I'll find out an answer later.
How to stop procrastinating?
I'll find out an answer later.
MwNDV.gif . KqnjzPt.png
Aint that a mood? I have two tests I need to be studying for yet here I am, playing FR. I do keep trying to start, but I get distracted or bored within 5 minutes and end up doing something else...
Aint that a mood? I have two tests I need to be studying for yet here I am, playing FR. I do keep trying to start, but I get distracted or bored within 5 minutes and end up doing something else...
jCVhFoZ.gif
Just start, it always works for me. The hardest part is starting.
Just start, it always works for me. The hardest part is starting.
spacewhale0.gifqB0EMi0.png
If you procrastinate on everything/a lot of things, there might be something else that's stopping you. My advice is make sure you've first ruled out everything EXCEPT procrastination. For example, depression and anxiety can really mess with your ability to complete things on time. ADHD is another big one.

If you suspect it might be something else, try looking into tips for executive functioning instead of managing procrastination. Those can help with a lot of things that cause procrastination even if you don't have executive functioning issues.

[edit]: And if you find it is procrastination after all, I've had some success with the pomodoro method. There's even an app for it on Chrome.
You might try using that AND breaking it down into a smaller, more specific step. Like "my project for this round of the timer is to write 2 paragraphs" over "my project is to write this paper".
If you procrastinate on everything/a lot of things, there might be something else that's stopping you. My advice is make sure you've first ruled out everything EXCEPT procrastination. For example, depression and anxiety can really mess with your ability to complete things on time. ADHD is another big one.

If you suspect it might be something else, try looking into tips for executive functioning instead of managing procrastination. Those can help with a lot of things that cause procrastination even if you don't have executive functioning issues.

[edit]: And if you find it is procrastination after all, I've had some success with the pomodoro method. There's even an app for it on Chrome.
You might try using that AND breaking it down into a smaller, more specific step. Like "my project for this round of the timer is to write 2 paragraphs" over "my project is to write this paper".
LklXAGK.png
I don't even know
I don't even know
By UserOfShadows
NcRl9aq.png
1 2