Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Do roleplay forums still exist?
1 2
I can honestly never find any that hit the level of quality I seem to need to get into it. It's... kind of my own fault for having done this for so long. ...Also for having a fiance that writes a level far beyond anything I've seen elsewhere. I'm spoiled now.

I've heard that Tumblr is a place you can find people, but personally the layout of that site makes me want to pull out my hair and I don't see how it would be conducive to keeping track of a plotline.

Reddit MIGHT work, but I have very little experience with Reddit itself or how conducive -that- layout would be to that kind of work.

I got my start on Gaia Online, but that place gives me flashbacks and I don't recommend it.
I can honestly never find any that hit the level of quality I seem to need to get into it. It's... kind of my own fault for having done this for so long. ...Also for having a fiance that writes a level far beyond anything I've seen elsewhere. I'm spoiled now.

I've heard that Tumblr is a place you can find people, but personally the layout of that site makes me want to pull out my hair and I don't see how it would be conducive to keeping track of a plotline.

Reddit MIGHT work, but I have very little experience with Reddit itself or how conducive -that- layout would be to that kind of work.

I got my start on Gaia Online, but that place gives me flashbacks and I don't recommend it.
tumblr_p6xvexhw2Q1w8xkufo9_250.pngHI SOMETIMES I POST EVERYWHERE
That sounds like where I got my start! I miss them... there was so much variety and creativity.

What the others have said is pretty spot-on. I just returned to RP recently myself, so I'll add my findings here:

Forum RPs:
o Lots of games coming and going! As mentioned by others, free independent forum creation is popular. (As opposed to what we used to have in forum communities like AvidGamers, Spleef, and Acorn Rack.)
o Tend to have fast revolving doors; as midnight305 said, many people join and never post. But if you can find one with a devoted, active playerbase, it's fun!
o May be multi-genre or locked into one world/setting.
o Applications/profiles are usually easy (under 800 words.) Quality of writing will vary by how strict the apps are.
o Most forums are for original characters (characters you create yourself for the setting.) There are some canon-based games too, usually for popular ones (Naruto, Harry Potter, etc.) And there are some that accept both like ThePipeFox mentioned.

Dreamwidth:
o Pretty much just canon character RPs, but most games also accept original characters.
o Each game is devoted to a setting/world and concept. They are usually very structured with a plot and monthly events.
o Writing quality is high - 1500+ word applications. Players tend to be RP veterans rather than newcomers.
o The activity requirements in most games are tighter, so players stay in a game 1-3 months or more.
o While the overall community takes a while to get used to, it's a good basis and game selection, and making new character accounts is quick and easy.

Tumblr
o Not really made for RP, but people make it work. Basically, you make a character account which you use to contact others' characters accounts directly. So, there's no defined setting/world (unless you make up your own) like the above games, and very little quality control, but lots of freedom.

-

I hope that gives you some direction and gets you started! Good luck! :D
That sounds like where I got my start! I miss them... there was so much variety and creativity.

What the others have said is pretty spot-on. I just returned to RP recently myself, so I'll add my findings here:

Forum RPs:
o Lots of games coming and going! As mentioned by others, free independent forum creation is popular. (As opposed to what we used to have in forum communities like AvidGamers, Spleef, and Acorn Rack.)
o Tend to have fast revolving doors; as midnight305 said, many people join and never post. But if you can find one with a devoted, active playerbase, it's fun!
o May be multi-genre or locked into one world/setting.
o Applications/profiles are usually easy (under 800 words.) Quality of writing will vary by how strict the apps are.
o Most forums are for original characters (characters you create yourself for the setting.) There are some canon-based games too, usually for popular ones (Naruto, Harry Potter, etc.) And there are some that accept both like ThePipeFox mentioned.

Dreamwidth:
o Pretty much just canon character RPs, but most games also accept original characters.
o Each game is devoted to a setting/world and concept. They are usually very structured with a plot and monthly events.
o Writing quality is high - 1500+ word applications. Players tend to be RP veterans rather than newcomers.
o The activity requirements in most games are tighter, so players stay in a game 1-3 months or more.
o While the overall community takes a while to get used to, it's a good basis and game selection, and making new character accounts is quick and easy.

Tumblr
o Not really made for RP, but people make it work. Basically, you make a character account which you use to contact others' characters accounts directly. So, there's no defined setting/world (unless you make up your own) like the above games, and very little quality control, but lots of freedom.

-

I hope that gives you some direction and gets you started! Good luck! :D
@PrincessYuni I dunno why but your post reminds me of the good ol' days of clubs.nl. That's where I started RPing and oh man, good memories lol (and now I feel old, that was like 15 years ago).

I dunno if it's what you're looking for, but check out either Iwaku or Roleplayersguild maybe? Those are huge RP forums with a lot of sub forums, for one-on-one RP and group RPs, fandom and original. Iwaku especially is big on world building, they have entire sections dedicated to it.

They don't have different boards for different parts of one world though, I don't know if that's still really a thing (probably is) because I've never RPed in groups.
@PrincessYuni I dunno why but your post reminds me of the good ol' days of clubs.nl. That's where I started RPing and oh man, good memories lol (and now I feel old, that was like 15 years ago).

I dunno if it's what you're looking for, but check out either Iwaku or Roleplayersguild maybe? Those are huge RP forums with a lot of sub forums, for one-on-one RP and group RPs, fandom and original. Iwaku especially is big on world building, they have entire sections dedicated to it.

They don't have different boards for different parts of one world though, I don't know if that's still really a thing (probably is) because I've never RPed in groups.
Hoarding:
Wildwood Owlet 9 hours ahead of FR Sakura Owlet
@midnight305

Thanks for the info! I will check your bio.
I was thinking about making my own again. I used to have 2. One about vampires (original I know, I was 12 OK xD) and one about a corrupt mental institution for teenagers.
I was also part of those fora where you need like... 10 to 20 sentences per post. On my forums it was 2 sentences, except for the OP, that should be longer for context/setting.
The new one I want to make would be fandom: Blade & Soul.
But idk if people want to play that, since most bns players are -excuse my language- incel dudes who jerk off on the female avatars you can make and send threat emails to the company who made the game.
So idk if people would play. I mean, I like the world building.

@Redeim Aaah thanks I will check it out!

@ThePipeFox
Thanks, I will surely check it out!

@PrinceLulu
TBH I understand you. I mean, I am not a top writer but most RPs I find online, are pretty cringe. Especially if people don't write more than 4 sentenses and do not bother using spelling control. I can get you make mistakes, so do I, but in role play the least you can do, is re-reading your own post and slap it through spelling check.

Yeah I heard of tumblr too but I never liked tumblr to begin with so. yeah xD

@WorldsTraveler
Wow that was a lot of info! Thanks a lot!
I think Dreamwidth is nothing for me xD I am not a veteran and my English is not good enough. I am ok with normal conversations but writing stories is something completely else and my vocabulairy is not extended enough. Also grammatical errors all the time HAHAHA.
Nevertheless, I will try to find a nice RP forum.

Once again, thank you!
@midnight305

Thanks for the info! I will check your bio.
I was thinking about making my own again. I used to have 2. One about vampires (original I know, I was 12 OK xD) and one about a corrupt mental institution for teenagers.
I was also part of those fora where you need like... 10 to 20 sentences per post. On my forums it was 2 sentences, except for the OP, that should be longer for context/setting.
The new one I want to make would be fandom: Blade & Soul.
But idk if people want to play that, since most bns players are -excuse my language- incel dudes who jerk off on the female avatars you can make and send threat emails to the company who made the game.
So idk if people would play. I mean, I like the world building.

@Redeim Aaah thanks I will check it out!

@ThePipeFox
Thanks, I will surely check it out!

@PrinceLulu
TBH I understand you. I mean, I am not a top writer but most RPs I find online, are pretty cringe. Especially if people don't write more than 4 sentenses and do not bother using spelling control. I can get you make mistakes, so do I, but in role play the least you can do, is re-reading your own post and slap it through spelling check.

Yeah I heard of tumblr too but I never liked tumblr to begin with so. yeah xD

@WorldsTraveler
Wow that was a lot of info! Thanks a lot!
I think Dreamwidth is nothing for me xD I am not a veteran and my English is not good enough. I am ok with normal conversations but writing stories is something completely else and my vocabulairy is not extended enough. Also grammatical errors all the time HAHAHA.
Nevertheless, I will try to find a nice RP forum.

Once again, thank you!
D9XjOpZ.jpg
Ugh, I'm right there with you. I use to do a majority of my RP on AOL and World of Warcraft, and lately I have just had an itch. But I need something more forum based because I just don't have the time to dedicate like I use to, but I still really want to be creative.

Anyway, I started to branch out beyond forums and found this one . It's it's own story with it's own lore and a bit to sort thru, as well as a new format (MUD/MUSH) to learn for most people, but I liked it when I played. I just don't have the time for it atm.

Ugh, I'm right there with you. I use to do a majority of my RP on AOL and World of Warcraft, and lately I have just had an itch. But I need something more forum based because I just don't have the time to dedicate like I use to, but I still really want to be creative.

Anyway, I started to branch out beyond forums and found this one . It's it's own story with it's own lore and a bit to sort thru, as well as a new format (MUD/MUSH) to learn for most people, but I liked it when I played. I just don't have the time for it atm.

Ha ha ha, lol yeah! I think that scene mostly died down due to the disappearance of.. oh man I don't even remember what they were called? Was it like some kind of Hotmail forum that everybody used? You could easily search for all the other roleplay groups because they were one the same websites, so it was a lot easier to find similar groups in that era. Not so much anymore, when the sites are all doing their own things.

That being said, there's no lack of roleplayers on the internet.
Ha ha ha, lol yeah! I think that scene mostly died down due to the disappearance of.. oh man I don't even remember what they were called? Was it like some kind of Hotmail forum that everybody used? You could easily search for all the other roleplay groups because they were one the same websites, so it was a lot easier to find similar groups in that era. Not so much anymore, when the sites are all doing their own things.

That being said, there's no lack of roleplayers on the internet.
IMG-2023-08-05-124048.jpg
Oh boy, those were the times, man.
While I was never a really huge fan of those "one forum, one roleplay, different places" kind of forums, I loved roleplay forums that were divided into fantasy, realistic, etc, and I also used to roleplay on Howrse a lot.
Back when people were active and posted back and forth all day because nobody had anything better to do and it was so much fun. I absolutely loved it. And I miss it. A lot. I used to co-run many forums back in the days. One of them was some kind of wolf adoptable thing. It was great, we had an awesome concept and it worked well. We had some roleplays on there too, where people would roleplay as their wolves.
Ah, the times when I actually roleplayed animals...
Oh boy, those were the times, man.
While I was never a really huge fan of those "one forum, one roleplay, different places" kind of forums, I loved roleplay forums that were divided into fantasy, realistic, etc, and I also used to roleplay on Howrse a lot.
Back when people were active and posted back and forth all day because nobody had anything better to do and it was so much fun. I absolutely loved it. And I miss it. A lot. I used to co-run many forums back in the days. One of them was some kind of wolf adoptable thing. It was great, we had an awesome concept and it worked well. We had some roleplays on there too, where people would roleplay as their wolves.
Ah, the times when I actually roleplayed animals...
"Solas, have I ever wanted to hear one of your endless explanations? Ever."
your welcome and good luck

your welcome and good luck

smallest2222.jpg
1 2