Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Tips on thinning a dragon hoard?
1 2 3
Edit: Thank you all for the help, I'll leave this thread up so others can get some of these wonderful tips and ideas to help with thinning out their own lairs. :)

Any suggestions on how to let go of extra dragons? I'm struggling to figure out which dragons I truly love and which ones I hoard because I'm afraid no one else will want and might exalt. I've sold gened Gen 1s and seen them end up exalted so you can't say that doesn't happen.

For those who don't mind a lot of unnecessary words...continue reading.

I was going to see about having some kind of lair theme or something awhile back but all I've got is an unhealthy attachment to a whole mess of dragons. I like Gen 1s so I have a bunch of those, I like them to be bred since unbred dragons seem somehow more valuable in a way that I should sell them rather than keep, except for the unbred Gen 1s that I have and love...why no consistency?!

Basically, I'm a hoarder on FR and in real life, I like things that are unique and cheap. Things that would be valuable if they were something similar but different than what they are, Gen 1s for example, the same dragon would generally cost a lot less if it had offspring, especially unnamed offspring than if it was unbred.

For those who want a real life example: I collect/hoard old books, usually ones that no one has heard of, or things that would be considered outdated. One of my treasures is a Bacteriology textbook from 1934, safe to say it's not a very big text book. A lot of people have lots of books but most if not all of mine are purely for the purpose of having them, I have little or no intention of ever reading them but oh my gosh do I love them. However, I collect a number of different things, think lots of little collections. Note: I'm aware of and manage my hoarding with the help of my husband and family so I won't end up on that tv show, plus trash is icky.

My dragon lair has become a similar collection of randomness. I have a handful of dragons that are memorial dragons for pets that passed away (some Gen 1s, some not) but I stopped with that because I have had a lot of pets living on a farm and my lair was on the edge of becoming a sad graveyard type place. I also have my Gen 1 collection that seems to happen completely based on "Oh that's cheap". So now it's just a lot of mis-matched dragons I've happened to grow attached to.
Edit: Thank you all for the help, I'll leave this thread up so others can get some of these wonderful tips and ideas to help with thinning out their own lairs. :)

Any suggestions on how to let go of extra dragons? I'm struggling to figure out which dragons I truly love and which ones I hoard because I'm afraid no one else will want and might exalt. I've sold gened Gen 1s and seen them end up exalted so you can't say that doesn't happen.

For those who don't mind a lot of unnecessary words...continue reading.

I was going to see about having some kind of lair theme or something awhile back but all I've got is an unhealthy attachment to a whole mess of dragons. I like Gen 1s so I have a bunch of those, I like them to be bred since unbred dragons seem somehow more valuable in a way that I should sell them rather than keep, except for the unbred Gen 1s that I have and love...why no consistency?!

Basically, I'm a hoarder on FR and in real life, I like things that are unique and cheap. Things that would be valuable if they were something similar but different than what they are, Gen 1s for example, the same dragon would generally cost a lot less if it had offspring, especially unnamed offspring than if it was unbred.

For those who want a real life example: I collect/hoard old books, usually ones that no one has heard of, or things that would be considered outdated. One of my treasures is a Bacteriology textbook from 1934, safe to say it's not a very big text book. A lot of people have lots of books but most if not all of mine are purely for the purpose of having them, I have little or no intention of ever reading them but oh my gosh do I love them. However, I collect a number of different things, think lots of little collections. Note: I'm aware of and manage my hoarding with the help of my husband and family so I won't end up on that tv show, plus trash is icky.

My dragon lair has become a similar collection of randomness. I have a handful of dragons that are memorial dragons for pets that passed away (some Gen 1s, some not) but I stopped with that because I have had a lot of pets living on a farm and my lair was on the edge of becoming a sad graveyard type place. I also have my Gen 1 collection that seems to happen completely based on "Oh that's cheap". So now it's just a lot of mis-matched dragons I've happened to grow attached to.
Timezone:
Same as FR
5G1dR62.pngjW6M6Gx.png 1IJZqsC.png
I feel you. Currently I'm doing a small lair purge, with only 5 dragons for sale. I plan on doing more in the future because I would like to start having a lair theme.

It's hard letting go of dragons that you've had for months or years, but in the end, I smile because whether they're exalted or in a good home, I finally know that they're still going to be on here until the site ends.
I feel you. Currently I'm doing a small lair purge, with only 5 dragons for sale. I plan on doing more in the future because I would like to start having a lair theme.

It's hard letting go of dragons that you've had for months or years, but in the end, I smile because whether they're exalted or in a good home, I finally know that they're still going to be on here until the site ends.
ayato_chibi_small.png powerchords
they/he
link goes here
link goes here
link goes here
semi-active
Once you start thinking 'well no big deal if it gets exalted', you'll know which dragons you can sell.

With that said, anything that's not 'too valuable' (6digits, xxy/xxy/xyx/xxx g1) is potentially slated for exaltation. So if you have some random dragons that don't fit these criteria that aren't also memorial dragons...those could be the ones you're keeping to 'save them'

And yes...gened g1's will most definitely get exalted during random dom pushes. Hell, I have one that I saved (called One) that I almost chucked to some pushing flight's dom raffle before I noticed the 'gened g1' part. If I didn't notice it probably would have gotten exalted lol
Once you start thinking 'well no big deal if it gets exalted', you'll know which dragons you can sell.

With that said, anything that's not 'too valuable' (6digits, xxy/xxy/xyx/xxx g1) is potentially slated for exaltation. So if you have some random dragons that don't fit these criteria that aren't also memorial dragons...those could be the ones you're keeping to 'save them'

And yes...gened g1's will most definitely get exalted during random dom pushes. Hell, I have one that I saved (called One) that I almost chucked to some pushing flight's dom raffle before I noticed the 'gened g1' part. If I didn't notice it probably would have gotten exalted lol
tastefulmarketing.gif
Well, I can say one thing. If you have dragons over two years old that you fear will be exalted, I will take them. I love older dragons, and will certainly give them a permanent home.
Well, I can say one thing. If you have dragons over two years old that you fear will be exalted, I will take them. I love older dragons, and will certainly give them a permanent home.
Huge old dragon purge here. All under 2mil ID digits (T/G) accepted. 6 digits, leveled dragons, earth dragons, old coatls, unbreds, xxy, etc all for sale please make offers
have depression and be unable to grow attached to any of your dragons at all

to put it bluntly, you just have to stop caring. i've found that i'm often way less attached to a dragon than I think I am; exalting is just a scary idea.

here's something you can try: if you're on the fence about a dragon, take off all it's clothes, skin, familiar, everything. move it to the back of your lair for a long time. I'm talking months. if you find yourself going to its page or thinking about it often even though it's out of the way, it can stay. If you see it on the last page and think "Oh right, i guess you exist, i havn't thought about you in WEEKS," exalt it.

Also, don't be afraid to exalt. If the only reason you're keeping it is because it won't sell, exalt it. it's the same concept as just throwing away all the stuff in your bedroom you don't want anymore, even if they're "perfectly good" and could be donated to a local charity/thrift shop. Sure, someone else could absolutely use it, but if you have it no one will either way.

put them all in the huge free dragons thread.

make a thread in dragons for sale saying "lore cleanout," but don't mention specifically which ones are for sale. if someone's interested in one or two, you can be reasonably sure they're actually interested. give them away for free or for like 15kt if you're worried about exalting.

spend time training them up to 20+, then sell them. very few people buy lvl 25s just to exalt.

send them to a foddart thread or a dom raffle

there's tons of ways to get dragons into the hands of people who actually want them and would use them. the hardest part is letting go, but remember that you probably don't actually want them, you just don't want to have to get rid of them.
have depression and be unable to grow attached to any of your dragons at all

to put it bluntly, you just have to stop caring. i've found that i'm often way less attached to a dragon than I think I am; exalting is just a scary idea.

here's something you can try: if you're on the fence about a dragon, take off all it's clothes, skin, familiar, everything. move it to the back of your lair for a long time. I'm talking months. if you find yourself going to its page or thinking about it often even though it's out of the way, it can stay. If you see it on the last page and think "Oh right, i guess you exist, i havn't thought about you in WEEKS," exalt it.

Also, don't be afraid to exalt. If the only reason you're keeping it is because it won't sell, exalt it. it's the same concept as just throwing away all the stuff in your bedroom you don't want anymore, even if they're "perfectly good" and could be donated to a local charity/thrift shop. Sure, someone else could absolutely use it, but if you have it no one will either way.

put them all in the huge free dragons thread.

make a thread in dragons for sale saying "lore cleanout," but don't mention specifically which ones are for sale. if someone's interested in one or two, you can be reasonably sure they're actually interested. give them away for free or for like 15kt if you're worried about exalting.

spend time training them up to 20+, then sell them. very few people buy lvl 25s just to exalt.

send them to a foddart thread or a dom raffle

there's tons of ways to get dragons into the hands of people who actually want them and would use them. the hardest part is letting go, but remember that you probably don't actually want them, you just don't want to have to get rid of them.
dhay-->Alicio-->Charioteer

Please ping me! I don't subscribe to my posts.
Im thinking of a lair split up, too, and i’m also a hoarder.
My main idea is take a picture of my dragon and keep its image on my pc. I did that for a few a few yrs ago, and reminisced about them, but didnt really think ‘oh i need him back’ (except for one). (If you do this, write down their colors and genes in case you cant remember).
This may help with the attachment... its an image on here, its an image on your pc.. no real difference. You just dont have to feed em (i guess cant change apparel either but if youre into apparel, take a picture of them with and without.)
Some of my lair purge is going to be lore-bound, a split up into smaller groups. Not quite like affiliates but perhaps like cousins moving to a new town.
Good luck!
Im thinking of a lair split up, too, and i’m also a hoarder.
My main idea is take a picture of my dragon and keep its image on my pc. I did that for a few a few yrs ago, and reminisced about them, but didnt really think ‘oh i need him back’ (except for one). (If you do this, write down their colors and genes in case you cant remember).
This may help with the attachment... its an image on here, its an image on your pc.. no real difference. You just dont have to feed em (i guess cant change apparel either but if youre into apparel, take a picture of them with and without.)
Some of my lair purge is going to be lore-bound, a split up into smaller groups. Not quite like affiliates but perhaps like cousins moving to a new town.
Good luck!
"Stop caring about randoms" is a hard lesson I had to learn, and I still struggle with. I sell hatchlings and exalt my adult dragons, but if you dont want any of them being exalted (which is a high honor that helps community engagement so its not so bad!), then your best bet is to sell them on the forums only. They're gonna get snatched up for Dom on the AH.
"Stop caring about randoms" is a hard lesson I had to learn, and I still struggle with. I sell hatchlings and exalt my adult dragons, but if you dont want any of them being exalted (which is a high honor that helps community engagement so its not so bad!), then your best bet is to sell them on the forums only. They're gonna get snatched up for Dom on the AH.
a bit of advice I've found useful is to sit down and, without looking at your lair, write down as many of the dragons as you can. The ones you can't remember are probably going to be easier to part with!
a bit of advice I've found useful is to sit down and, without looking at your lair, write down as many of the dragons as you can. The ones you can't remember are probably going to be easier to part with!
13409.png
+3 FR Time || she, her
- d&d hatchery
To me, I haven't really been on all that long to exalt to many of my permanet dragons, if any. So, I'd say any dragon that doesn't quite fit my desires gets a stern gazing upon and existential internal discussion prior to any decision.
To me, I haven't really been on all that long to exalt to many of my permanet dragons, if any. So, I'd say any dragon that doesn't quite fit my desires gets a stern gazing upon and existential internal discussion prior to any decision.
Gula.gif
When I purged a few weeks ago, I kept any dragon that I wouldn't trade for an imp scroll.

Another way is to not look at your lair. If you forget about a dragon, it's probably best to sell or exalt.
When I purged a few weeks ago, I kept any dragon that I wouldn't trade for an imp scroll.

Another way is to not look at your lair. If you forget about a dragon, it's probably best to sell or exalt.
Wxlfiez
they/them | FRT + 3 | Wishlist
11-Headed Primal Emperor Quest
__________________________________ wolfies_shop_sig_button.png
1 2 3