Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Def and Mnd Buff?
1 2 3
[quote name="ObiKemnebi" date="2018-07-18 21:55:25" ] Yeah, but then we have the same problem we have now, just... less. What's the point of a stat that reduces damage by a set amount when you can just dump point into Vitality and make it so any damage taken effects you less, regardless? If Defense reduced damage taken by a percentage amount instead of at a flat rate, then maybe it'd be okay. But if they want to keep it thematic, where magical and physical attacks are separate things and so require separate defenses, then I'd go with something that reduces pure damage in a reasonable manner and something else that reduces or removes the magical effects themselves. A fireball still burns your body if you don't get out of the way, and no amount of willpower is going to change that, but maybe you can use Mind to... flavor-counter a spell as it's cast, such that the spell is too weak to "stick" after it hits you? I don't know, the lore logistics are something I'm a bit iffy on. Lingering magical effects don't make too much of a difference on glass cannons, who will only have to deal with them for maybe one round (if at all), but can be a pain in the backside if boss battles go too long or if you're in PvP and the other player has dragons just as fast as yours. So grinders can still use relatively simple run-and-smash builds, but tournament battlers can set up different teams to be prepared to go up against mages, physical DPS, tanks, etc with various build styles, without wasting points on useless stats. That's my thought process, anyway. [/quote] 1 defense stat vs Vit would mean you don't need to heal as much health (Regenerate would be more powerful), and if you have a lot of Vit (or they buff defense), you can put points into defense after Vit takes more (Eg. 15) points. I'm not sure of the lore myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to keep def and mnd separate for lore reasons.
ObiKemnebi wrote on 2018-07-18 21:55:25:
Yeah, but then we have the same problem we have now, just... less. What's the point of a stat that reduces damage by a set amount when you can just dump point into Vitality and make it so any damage taken effects you less, regardless? If Defense reduced damage taken by a percentage amount instead of at a flat rate, then maybe it'd be okay.

But if they want to keep it thematic, where magical and physical attacks are separate things and so require separate defenses, then I'd go with something that reduces pure damage in a reasonable manner and something else that reduces or removes the magical effects themselves. A fireball still burns your body if you don't get out of the way, and no amount of willpower is going to change that, but maybe you can use Mind to... flavor-counter a spell as it's cast, such that the spell is too weak to "stick" after it hits you? I don't know, the lore logistics are something I'm a bit iffy on.

Lingering magical effects don't make too much of a difference on glass cannons, who will only have to deal with them for maybe one round (if at all), but can be a pain in the backside if boss battles go too long or if you're in PvP and the other player has dragons just as fast as yours. So grinders can still use relatively simple run-and-smash builds, but tournament battlers can set up different teams to be prepared to go up against mages, physical DPS, tanks, etc with various build styles, without wasting points on useless stats. That's my thought process, anyway.

1 defense stat vs Vit would mean you don't need to heal as much health (Regenerate would be more powerful), and if you have a lot of Vit (or they buff defense), you can put points into defense after Vit takes more (Eg. 15) points.

I'm not sure of the lore myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to keep def and mnd separate for lore reasons.
Need a fodder trainer build? Try one of these:
Kelp Beds - Leviathan Leveler - 2 Fodder Trainer
GLR + Mire - Ghire Gorer - 2 Fodder
Mire - Mire Mauler - 2 Fodder
GLR - Ruin Wrecker - 2 Fodder Trainer
Boreal Wood- Boreal Banisher - 2 Fodder Trainer
Harpy's Roost - Roost Rustler - 2 Fodder Trainer
Launch_Plans_-_Small.png
(Don't ping the staff)
[quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2018-07-18 21:45:34" ] Please don't break the coli just to balance PvP. Please don't. It's not a strategy game, it's a means to an end. And it does that just fine now. Edit Not that I don't support a buff, but to rebalance around it, as people seem to be suggesting, is not something I want to see happen. [/quote] It is not my intention to break the coliseum for the sake of PvP, just to make it so that all the stats have some kind of purpose. The changes I'm suggesting (according to my estimations thus far, at least; I am in the process of running some pretty long calculations to be sure, but that will take a while) should not have much, if any, effect on glass cannon speed grinding. Assuming strength, vitality, and quickness do not change, you should still be able to make something fast that smashes NPCs to pieces before it can hit you and run through battles as fast as possible to get loot. I bring up the changes my suggestions would have on PvP because that's the only real place you would see a noticeable difference (aside from new players wasting fewer points and good stones on crappy grinding builds before realizing that three of the stats are basically useless at this point).
BlueJaysFeather wrote on 2018-07-18 21:45:34:
Please don't break the coli just to balance PvP. Please don't. It's not a strategy game, it's a means to an end. And it does that just fine now.

Edit
Not that I don't support a buff, but to rebalance around it, as people seem to be suggesting, is not something I want to see happen.

It is not my intention to break the coliseum for the sake of PvP, just to make it so that all the stats have some kind of purpose. The changes I'm suggesting (according to my estimations thus far, at least; I am in the process of running some pretty long calculations to be sure, but that will take a while) should not have much, if any, effect on glass cannon speed grinding. Assuming strength, vitality, and quickness do not change, you should still be able to make something fast that smashes NPCs to pieces before it can hit you and run through battles as fast as possible to get loot. I bring up the changes my suggestions would have on PvP because that's the only real place you would see a noticeable difference (aside from new players wasting fewer points and good stones on crappy grinding builds before realizing that three of the stats are basically useless at this point).
Okay, about a 2/3 of the way through the first set of mid-level calculations. I was wrong, it might actually affect grinding. Not at game breaking levels, but builds would have to get a more complex to grind quickly, assuming the mobs also put decent points into these stats. The difference would be in dodge and crit rates:

When an attack is made, the attacker rolls a Precision check and the defender rolls an Agility check. Each check has a success chance based on their stat score (for the moment, I'm using 2% per point, so a stat of min 5 would have a 10% chance to succeed). If both succeed or both fail their respective checks, the attack deals damage as normal. If the attacker succeeds and the defender fails, the attack deals critical damage. If the attacker fails but the defender succeeds, the defender dodges and no damage is applied.

Against a Precision score of 50, no defenders have any chance to dodge as the attacker cannot fail their check, and anything with an Agility score of less than 25 going against that has a higher chance of receiving critical damage than normal damage. Likewise, an Agility score of 50 can't receive critical damage and has a higher chance of dodging than being hit.

So say you give your max level dragon 80 Str (making it 95 with 3 berserker stones), 71 Qck (80 w/ berkerkers), 50 Prc, and 25 Agi. Haste and Rally can be used if those aren't high enough. Nothing can dodge you in any venue, so you won't waste any of those early turns on failed attacks and won't lose your breathe on Eliminate misses. In the waterway or lower, you can one-shot anything but the bosses with a normal scratch, and you'll crit on at least half of your attacks, so mid-level venue bosses still won't be able to hit you before you hit them. The Agility makes you more survivable in the higher level venues, where bosses can last a couple rounds and might get a chance to attack you; it minimizes their chances of doing crit damage without costing your own attack speed and damage. NPC mobs are rarely min-maxed from what I can tell, so it's unlikely that even top venue bosses will completely remove your dodge or crit chance.
Okay, about a 2/3 of the way through the first set of mid-level calculations. I was wrong, it might actually affect grinding. Not at game breaking levels, but builds would have to get a more complex to grind quickly, assuming the mobs also put decent points into these stats. The difference would be in dodge and crit rates:

When an attack is made, the attacker rolls a Precision check and the defender rolls an Agility check. Each check has a success chance based on their stat score (for the moment, I'm using 2% per point, so a stat of min 5 would have a 10% chance to succeed). If both succeed or both fail their respective checks, the attack deals damage as normal. If the attacker succeeds and the defender fails, the attack deals critical damage. If the attacker fails but the defender succeeds, the defender dodges and no damage is applied.

Against a Precision score of 50, no defenders have any chance to dodge as the attacker cannot fail their check, and anything with an Agility score of less than 25 going against that has a higher chance of receiving critical damage than normal damage. Likewise, an Agility score of 50 can't receive critical damage and has a higher chance of dodging than being hit.

So say you give your max level dragon 80 Str (making it 95 with 3 berserker stones), 71 Qck (80 w/ berkerkers), 50 Prc, and 25 Agi. Haste and Rally can be used if those aren't high enough. Nothing can dodge you in any venue, so you won't waste any of those early turns on failed attacks and won't lose your breathe on Eliminate misses. In the waterway or lower, you can one-shot anything but the bosses with a normal scratch, and you'll crit on at least half of your attacks, so mid-level venue bosses still won't be able to hit you before you hit them. The Agility makes you more survivable in the higher level venues, where bosses can last a couple rounds and might get a chance to attack you; it minimizes their chances of doing crit damage without costing your own attack speed and damage. NPC mobs are rarely min-maxed from what I can tell, so it's unlikely that even top venue bosses will completely remove your dodge or crit chance.
1 2 3