Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Good Indie Games?
1 2
I need to play more good indie games. Not just indie games but generally like ok here's some of my favorites from my Steam library [img]https://assets.rockpapershotgun.com/images//2017/10/nuclearthrone-620x294.jpg[/img] Nuclear Throne - AKA 'Impossible to Beat' (Not really but it is INCREDIBLY hard to beat.) **This one isn't on Steam (probably due to it's obscurity lol) but it's still probably one of my favorite games ever** [img]http://local-static0.forum-files.fobby.net/forum_attachments/0028/1795/screen1.png[/img] OFF - AKA 'After either ending you can curl up into a ball and try not to cry but you will anyways' [img]https://www.hardcoregamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/OneShotFeaturedSea-747x309.png[/img] OneShot - AKA 'Don't play this at midnight, it's not as innocent as it seems and I totally didn't have paranoia for a few days on end after playing the game and then resetting it and playing it again' @LucidWhispers mentioned a game called Long Gone Days and it reminded me of 2 other favorite games of mine! [img]http://papersplea.se/img/Shot11-Jorji.png[/img] Papers, Please! Is an AMAZING game <3 AKA: 'Why am I still alive how am I not dead yet' [img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lNqgEQx57WY/maxresdefault.jpg[/img] Please Don't Touch Anything is by the same creators as Papers, Please! AKA: 'Yay I get to destroy stuff yayyyyy' I guess I just I don't really know how to describe what I look for in games Those three are pretty good though (OneShot and OFF are some of my favorite games hands down ever)
I need to play more good indie games.

Not just indie games but generally like
ok
here's some of my favorites from my Steam library
nuclearthrone-620x294.jpg
Nuclear Throne - AKA 'Impossible to Beat' (Not really but it is INCREDIBLY hard to beat.)

**This one isn't on Steam (probably due to it's obscurity lol) but it's still probably one of my favorite games ever**
screen1.png
OFF - AKA 'After either ending you can curl up into a ball and try not to cry but you will anyways'

OneShotFeaturedSea-747x309.png
OneShot - AKA 'Don't play this at midnight, it's not as innocent as it seems and I totally didn't have paranoia for a few days on end after playing the game and then resetting it and playing it again'

@LucidWhispers mentioned a game called Long Gone Days and it reminded me of 2 other favorite games of mine!

Shot11-Jorji.png
Papers, Please! Is an AMAZING game <3
AKA: 'Why am I still alive how am I not dead yet'

maxresdefault.jpg
Please Don't Touch Anything is by the same creators as Papers, Please!
AKA: 'Yay I get to destroy stuff yayyyyy'

I guess I just
I don't really know how to describe what I look for in games
Those three are pretty good though (OneShot and OFF are some of my favorite games hands down ever)
sig103_by_dingobreath-dckmq7f.png
There's a lot of games made on the same engine as OFF (RPGMaker) that I would consider to be similar in feeling and/or content, and I'd definitely recommend looking up more games made on that engine, particularly horror games. Since you've already played OFF, I'm going to recommend the other two RPGMaker games I've played that I would consider on the same level of quality (by my standards anyway).

The first is Yume Nikki, a surreal horror game about a girl exploring her dreams. The original is free on Steam right now. There's also an official 3D remake/sequel called YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY- on Steam, though that's almost $20. I haven't played very much of the remake so I'd recommend playing the original first and only playing the remake if you enjoy the original.

The second is Ib, which you can find a download link for here. Ib is about a girl going with her parents to visit an art gallery. The same translator has translated lots of other RPGMaker games so you should definitely look at their website for more to try out.
There's a lot of games made on the same engine as OFF (RPGMaker) that I would consider to be similar in feeling and/or content, and I'd definitely recommend looking up more games made on that engine, particularly horror games. Since you've already played OFF, I'm going to recommend the other two RPGMaker games I've played that I would consider on the same level of quality (by my standards anyway).

The first is Yume Nikki, a surreal horror game about a girl exploring her dreams. The original is free on Steam right now. There's also an official 3D remake/sequel called YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY- on Steam, though that's almost $20. I haven't played very much of the remake so I'd recommend playing the original first and only playing the remake if you enjoy the original.

The second is Ib, which you can find a download link for here. Ib is about a girl going with her parents to visit an art gallery. The same translator has translated lots of other RPGMaker games so you should definitely look at their website for more to try out.
S6TGTcM.png
@EgoLobster oh do i have a list for you

You already listed off my top two (and I thank you for that), but 90% of my other fandoms are indie games anyways, so I’ll just list some of them off:

If you want games with a focus on action:

Hollow Knight is a game I’ve been playing a lot recently, and it’s basically about a bug knight wandering around a fallen kingdom, basically trying to discover what led to its downfall and things like that. It’s got some amazing scenery, all of it being library instead of pixels, and the lore behind the game is pretty good, too.

Hyper Light Drifter is a game that I’ve been wanting to play for quite some time now (hoping to get it during the Steam Summer Sale) and it’s about a person trying to search for a cure for a chronic disease they have. It’s top-down instead of the other two, but it still seems like a lot of fun, and also has a great soundtrack.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is a Metroidvania like Hollow Knight, with a much more character-based story than the other two. You play as someone trying to stop a genocide against a dying race, and basically you join up with the rebellion against the people behind the genocide.

For more character-based ones:

Heartbound is something you probably know a bit about, but the premise is that your best friend, a dog, goes missing, and you have to step into different worlds to try and find him.

GLITCHED is similar to OneShot in that the character is a different person from the player, and you and the character, Gus, have to wander the world to find out why the previous protagonist, Gus’ best friend, was glitched out of the game.

Virgo vs. the Zodiac is OFF but with Homestuck characters. Play as Virgo and try to purge/purify the different realms of the Zodiac back to a previous, and in her eyes, better age.

Long Gone Days is a military RPG where you play as a deserter of your own army, try to blend in with a completely different society and language (Russia), and eventually join a rebellion against your own former organization.
@EgoLobster oh do i have a list for you

You already listed off my top two (and I thank you for that), but 90% of my other fandoms are indie games anyways, so I’ll just list some of them off:

If you want games with a focus on action:

Hollow Knight is a game I’ve been playing a lot recently, and it’s basically about a bug knight wandering around a fallen kingdom, basically trying to discover what led to its downfall and things like that. It’s got some amazing scenery, all of it being library instead of pixels, and the lore behind the game is pretty good, too.

Hyper Light Drifter is a game that I’ve been wanting to play for quite some time now (hoping to get it during the Steam Summer Sale) and it’s about a person trying to search for a cure for a chronic disease they have. It’s top-down instead of the other two, but it still seems like a lot of fun, and also has a great soundtrack.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is a Metroidvania like Hollow Knight, with a much more character-based story than the other two. You play as someone trying to stop a genocide against a dying race, and basically you join up with the rebellion against the people behind the genocide.

For more character-based ones:

Heartbound is something you probably know a bit about, but the premise is that your best friend, a dog, goes missing, and you have to step into different worlds to try and find him.

GLITCHED is similar to OneShot in that the character is a different person from the player, and you and the character, Gus, have to wander the world to find out why the previous protagonist, Gus’ best friend, was glitched out of the game.

Virgo vs. the Zodiac is OFF but with Homestuck characters. Play as Virgo and try to purge/purify the different realms of the Zodiac back to a previous, and in her eyes, better age.

Long Gone Days is a military RPG where you play as a deserter of your own army, try to blend in with a completely different society and language (Russia), and eventually join a rebellion against your own former organization.
AqaqXxe.png
@fleshkid
I remember IB
That game terrified me more than anything ever
Are you sure it's about a girl going to an art gallery
because I'm pretty sure it's not owo

I might look up Yume Nikki later but I'm very sensitive when it comes to horror. I think the scariest games I've ever played were Five Nights at Freddy's, OFF, and one other game I can't remember lol

@LucidWhispers
I've heard Hollow Knight is really good so I'll check it out!

Hyper Light Drifter is also a favorite of mine!! I love that game so much~

Dust: An Elysian Tail is amazing ngl

I have yet to play Heartbound but I've heard of it

GLITCHED sounds interesting :p

Virgo vs. the Zodiac sounds amazing then lol

Long Gone Days? Never heard of it owo I'll check it out
@fleshkid
I remember IB
That game terrified me more than anything ever
Are you sure it's about a girl going to an art gallery
because I'm pretty sure it's not owo

I might look up Yume Nikki later but I'm very sensitive when it comes to horror. I think the scariest games I've ever played were Five Nights at Freddy's, OFF, and one other game I can't remember lol

@LucidWhispers
I've heard Hollow Knight is really good so I'll check it out!

Hyper Light Drifter is also a favorite of mine!! I love that game so much~

Dust: An Elysian Tail is amazing ngl

I have yet to play Heartbound but I've heard of it

GLITCHED sounds interesting :p

Virgo vs. the Zodiac sounds amazing then lol

Long Gone Days? Never heard of it owo I'll check it out
daw, I love OFF and OneShot!!
those two are big favorites

Subnautica is an amazing indie, uh, it's set in a alien world that is almost all ocean. The graphics are nice, and the world is very fleshed out with a pretty dang good story!
here's the cinematic trailer - https://youtu.be/Rz2SNm8VguE

LISA is a game i never played, but I've seen some gameplay. It's a quite dark game, but a good one! It's music is amazing, I always find myself listening to the OST quite a lot (cough, 666 kill chop deluxe, cough)

Starbound is a game i just got recently, and boy does it's music make you want to lie down and cry
It's story from what I heard isn't the best, it's pretty mediocre but everything else is nice. It's like Terraria in space
daw, I love OFF and OneShot!!
those two are big favorites

Subnautica is an amazing indie, uh, it's set in a alien world that is almost all ocean. The graphics are nice, and the world is very fleshed out with a pretty dang good story!
here's the cinematic trailer - https://youtu.be/Rz2SNm8VguE

LISA is a game i never played, but I've seen some gameplay. It's a quite dark game, but a good one! It's music is amazing, I always find myself listening to the OST quite a lot (cough, 666 kill chop deluxe, cough)

Starbound is a game i just got recently, and boy does it's music make you want to lie down and cry
It's story from what I heard isn't the best, it's pretty mediocre but everything else is nice. It's like Terraria in space
prmDFET.png howdy, names stellar
|she/her| |neutral good|
@EgoLobster If you're interested in rather simple, but difficult puzzle games, I would tried Changed. I got it a few days ago after seeing a video of it, haven't completed it yet, but I love it already. Basically you have to escape a laboratory without being transformed into a goo monster (which look like furries, if that affects your decision at all). There's a plot, too, and the lore of it is also pretty interesting, but I won't spoil it for you.

Some of the transformation scenes are... questionable, but I would still give it a try. It's $6, and I'd say it's worth the price. But I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.
@EgoLobster If you're interested in rather simple, but difficult puzzle games, I would tried Changed. I got it a few days ago after seeing a video of it, haven't completed it yet, but I love it already. Basically you have to escape a laboratory without being transformed into a goo monster (which look like furries, if that affects your decision at all). There's a plot, too, and the lore of it is also pretty interesting, but I won't spoil it for you.

Some of the transformation scenes are... questionable, but I would still give it a try. It's $6, and I'd say it's worth the price. But I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
@kyamori
I've been meaning to play subnautica but my computer won't run it lol
Starbound sounds nice~
@MaplesHaiku
Are the monsters scary at all? I'm a furry and I love furries (which are pretty kid friendly) but you never know. lol sorry my parents check my internet history so I can't look up anything spooki
@kyamori
I've been meaning to play subnautica but my computer won't run it lol
Starbound sounds nice~
@MaplesHaiku
Are the monsters scary at all? I'm a furry and I love furries (which are pretty kid friendly) but you never know. lol sorry my parents check my internet history so I can't look up anything spooki
@EgoLobster Not at all. They have, however, been able to startle me a few times, mainly when they're chasing you.
@EgoLobster Not at all. They have, however, been able to startle me a few times, mainly when they're chasing you.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
@MaplesHaiku
I'll look it up :o
@MaplesHaiku
I'll look it up :o
@MaplesHaiku
Why is it disturbing to me that there are some odd looking pictures on the steam page of characters in questionable poses

Please tell me this game doesn't include
ye know
weird
furry
stuff
that's not appropriate for kids
@MaplesHaiku
Why is it disturbing to me that there are some odd looking pictures on the steam page of characters in questionable poses

Please tell me this game doesn't include
ye know
weird
furry
stuff
that's not appropriate for kids
1 2