Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [Sewing] Applique questions
I'm about to start a sewing project where I create my own applique to sew onto a felt skirt.

Does anyone have suggestions about what kinds of fabric would work best for this? More felt? Quilting cotton? Something else?

I don't really need any tutorials as o found MANY of those on the internet already. I'm just looking for fabric advice from anyone who may have already done this.

Project specifics: I'm making an applique of Totoro to put on a poodle skirt. :)
I'm about to start a sewing project where I create my own applique to sew onto a felt skirt.

Does anyone have suggestions about what kinds of fabric would work best for this? More felt? Quilting cotton? Something else?

I don't really need any tutorials as o found MANY of those on the internet already. I'm just looking for fabric advice from anyone who may have already done this.

Project specifics: I'm making an applique of Totoro to put on a poodle skirt. :)
37DVNcQ.pngmGeS6Yc.png6qRiT6A.png
@risforrose

Normally cotton is the best for making appliques. Or at least it has been for me, and I do a lot of it. Any type of plain cotton works just as well as something like quilting cotton. It's just the easiest to cut, and sticks really well to any applique...sticky. :>
@risforrose

Normally cotton is the best for making appliques. Or at least it has been for me, and I do a lot of it. Any type of plain cotton works just as well as something like quilting cotton. It's just the easiest to cut, and sticks really well to any applique...sticky. :>
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
@Amura

Thank you!
@Amura

Thank you!
@risforrose felt and fleece are really great for applique bc they resist fraying (like cotton/flannel/twills tend to do after washing) BUT they're hard to use fusible backing with, so it's kind of a tradeoff. but you wanna match the weight of your applique (+fusible if you're using it) to be either the same or lighter than the base fabric you're appliqueing it on.
@risforrose felt and fleece are really great for applique bc they resist fraying (like cotton/flannel/twills tend to do after washing) BUT they're hard to use fusible backing with, so it's kind of a tradeoff. but you wanna match the weight of your applique (+fusible if you're using it) to be either the same or lighter than the base fabric you're appliqueing it on.
@Tashayan

I was wondering about the fraying issue. Do you know if the fusible interfacing helps to stop that or should I use some fray check?

Fyi, I probably won't be washing this skirt much (if at all) once it's finished since it's a costume. I'll probably only wear it a couple of times.
@Tashayan

I was wondering about the fraying issue. Do you know if the fusible interfacing helps to stop that or should I use some fray check?

Fyi, I probably won't be washing this skirt much (if at all) once it's finished since it's a costume. I'll probably only wear it a couple of times.
fusible webbing does help with fraying, as does using a zigzag or other structured tight stitch. i would think that not washing would help (btw febreze is not always fabric/dye safe, but cheap vodka in a spraybottle works just as well to remove odors & *is* fabric safe) cut down on fraying, as would a stiffer base fabric because it won't move around so much. but any time you have a narrow or funky angle cut the edges will fray a bit. fraycheck might also help, but can leave edges feeling crusty/snag on delicate fabrics that brush against it (like lace trim, that kind of thing)
fusible webbing does help with fraying, as does using a zigzag or other structured tight stitch. i would think that not washing would help (btw febreze is not always fabric/dye safe, but cheap vodka in a spraybottle works just as well to remove odors & *is* fabric safe) cut down on fraying, as would a stiffer base fabric because it won't move around so much. but any time you have a narrow or funky angle cut the edges will fray a bit. fraycheck might also help, but can leave edges feeling crusty/snag on delicate fabrics that brush against it (like lace trim, that kind of thing)
fraycheck can also discolor fabric, so be sure to test first! you probably already know that, but useful to keep in mind. i usually used blanket stitch or a zigzag stitch on machine, or two rows of simple hand stitching when i was working in heritage stuff.
fraycheck can also discolor fabric, so be sure to test first! you probably already know that, but useful to keep in mind. i usually used blanket stitch or a zigzag stitch on machine, or two rows of simple hand stitching when i was working in heritage stuff.