Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Art critique/help?
I know there aren't many equestrian artists on here, but I decided to give it a shot and put up two of my most recent sketches for some extra critique or perhaps some advice. I've never really practiced my full bodies, so I've been starting as of late. The first one was done a few weeks ago and the second I did just today. (I have a few other sketches but they're too terrible to post :P) [img]https://imgur.com/YKgp5vP.png[/img] (Ignore my notes lol) So I already know the legs are too small and too skinny on this one, and the hind end is too big. [img]https://imgur.com/RPzCthK.png[/img] (Ignore these notes too heh) On this one the legs are too fat/big for the body (the duality of a girl!), and that the right foreleg is too small, but overall I think I got the shapes right. I'm also aware that the right hind leg is too short, and so it adds a bit of a tilt to the drawing. So...Besides what I've noticed, anyone got some critique for me? I'm totally fine for redlining, drawing over my art, or other methods if anyone wants to show me stuff.
I know there aren't many equestrian artists on here, but I decided to give it a shot and put up two of my most recent sketches for some extra critique or perhaps some advice.

I've never really practiced my full bodies, so I've been starting as of late. The first one was done a few weeks ago and the second I did just today. (I have a few other sketches but they're too terrible to post :P)

YKgp5vP.png
(Ignore my notes lol)

So I already know the legs are too small and too skinny on this one, and the hind end is too big.

RPzCthK.png
(Ignore these notes too heh)

On this one the legs are too fat/big for the body (the duality of a girl!), and that the right foreleg is too small, but overall I think I got the shapes right. I'm also aware that the right hind leg is too short, and so it adds a bit of a tilt to the drawing.

So...Besides what I've noticed, anyone got some critique for me?
I'm totally fine for redlining, drawing over my art, or other methods if anyone wants to show me stuff.
x8z3xmt.pngFor God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
[center]@MorningSkye Oh it's not often i see a fellow horse artist on here! I'd be happy to critique your art a bit ^^ The first thing i noticed was those lovely horse legs, which i think that you drew pretty well. The guidelines are super helpful when you first start drawing horses (heck they help me now sometimes too) The second thing is the head, it's a little too small for its body, especially in the second pic though i do like how you drew the muzzle and jaw. Its got a fine and delicate look to it. In the 1st pic of the jumping horse, the neck looks good. There's a nice curve, and you can see the definition of its throatlatch. The second horse's neck seems a little too thick around the throat, which irl im sure there are horses like that, but it inhibits breathing. Overall you seem to have a very good grasp of a horses form, which is commendable! The main thing i can suggest is studying a horses bone/muscle system and how they work together, as its what helped me in the past. If you have any more questions, let me know. And if you want me to show you what i mean with some red correction lines, id be happy to :) and just so you know i do draw horses ill upload a pic i drew a while ago. [img]https://img00.deviantart.net/f76e/i/2017/185/4/3/original_zombiecorn_by_toru_kaze-dbf1ac6.jpg[/img][/center]
@MorningSkye

Oh it's not often i see a fellow horse artist on here! I'd be happy to critique your art a bit ^^

The first thing i noticed was those lovely horse legs, which i think that you drew pretty well. The guidelines are super helpful when you first start drawing horses (heck they help me now sometimes too)

The second thing is the head, it's a little too small for its body, especially in the second pic though i do like how you drew the muzzle and jaw. Its got a fine and delicate look to it.

In the 1st pic of the jumping horse, the neck looks good. There's a nice curve, and you can see the definition of its throatlatch. The second horse's neck seems a little too thick around the throat, which irl im sure there are horses like that, but it inhibits breathing.

Overall you seem to have a very good grasp of a horses form, which is commendable! The main thing i can suggest is studying a horses bone/muscle system and how they work together, as its what helped me in the past.

If you have any more questions, let me know. And if you want me to show you what i mean with some red correction lines, id be happy to :)

and just so you know i do draw horses ill upload a pic i drew a while ago.

original_zombiecorn_by_toru_kaze-dbf1ac6.jpg
*Skin shop *Sketch commissions
[center]@MorningSkye So i did a redline correction sheet anyways... though i hope nothing here offends you, and that my horrible handwriting is legible. Some of it may be nitpicky, and if so i apologize. I really just like to help other artists. [img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/ad4a/f/2018/122/c/6/critique_by_toru_kaze-dcagble.png[/img][/center]
@MorningSkye

So i did a redline correction sheet anyways... though i hope nothing here offends you, and that my horrible handwriting is legible.
Some of it may be nitpicky, and if so i apologize. I really just like to help other artists.

critique_by_toru_kaze-dcagble.png
*Skin shop *Sketch commissions
@MorningSkye It looks like you're off to a great start! You already mentioned some of the proportional problems, so here are some other things I noticed. [img]https://i.imgur.com/DQTOciEl.png[/img] 1. This joint should have a clean curve on the bottom and stick out a little farther in the back, like the other hind leg you drew. 2. Horses have this really distinct shape to their shoulders. Your guidelines in this area should help you find this shape. When I start with this shape, it always helps me figure out what the elbow should be doing. 3. It helps me to draw this joint as more of a square. 4. The hindquarters also have a certain shape to them. It helps me to start with a oval for the pelvis and a circle for the "knee". 5. This is probably the most stylistic change I made. I think that the face slopes a little too much here. [img]https://i.imgur.com/K2o6QqJl.png[/img] 1. Just the shape of that back leg again. There's usually a pretty clean angle you can follow. 2. I think the hooves should be a little more square. 3. Here are those two main shapes in the body. They'll be in every pose. Even though I draw a lot of horses, I am by no means an expert, so feel free to ignore anything that doesn't work for you. These are just some things that helped me get better. Hopefully some of this can be of use to you!
@MorningSkye
It looks like you're off to a great start! You already mentioned some of the proportional problems, so here are some other things I noticed.
DQTOciEl.png
1. This joint should have a clean curve on the bottom and stick out a little farther in the back, like the other hind leg you drew.
2. Horses have this really distinct shape to their shoulders. Your guidelines in this area should help you find this shape. When I start with this shape, it always helps me figure out what the elbow should be doing.
3. It helps me to draw this joint as more of a square.
4. The hindquarters also have a certain shape to them. It helps me to start with a oval for the pelvis and a circle for the "knee".
5. This is probably the most stylistic change I made. I think that the face slopes a little too much here.
K2o6QqJl.png
1. Just the shape of that back leg again. There's usually a pretty clean angle you can follow.
2. I think the hooves should be a little more square.
3. Here are those two main shapes in the body. They'll be in every pose.
Even though I draw a lot of horses, I am by no means an expert, so feel free to ignore anything that doesn't work for you. These are just some things that helped me get better. Hopefully some of this can be of use to you!
NvqJibZ.png
Art Shop
Toyhouse
DeviantArt
@Reigaia
Thank you so much for the tips, they're extremely helpful. :) I know I've looked up bone structure before... (I have main anatomy points memorized), but I probably should work on that a bit more. I also ride horses so I guess it helps me understand how they move lol.

And wow, that's a great drawing! It is nice to see other equestrian artists around here.

@Malreau
Thank you very much for the helpful redlinings, I'll definitely keep those points in mind when sketching next time. (Both from you and the person above ^^) Ahh horse hind ends, always my white whale, lol!
@Reigaia
Thank you so much for the tips, they're extremely helpful. :) I know I've looked up bone structure before... (I have main anatomy points memorized), but I probably should work on that a bit more. I also ride horses so I guess it helps me understand how they move lol.

And wow, that's a great drawing! It is nice to see other equestrian artists around here.

@Malreau
Thank you very much for the helpful redlinings, I'll definitely keep those points in mind when sketching next time. (Both from you and the person above ^^) Ahh horse hind ends, always my white whale, lol!
x8z3xmt.pngFor God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
To improve your horses you should try https://line-of-action.com/ ! they have an animal section where you can just choose horses. gesture/life drawing is so so helpful when trying to improve, when you're timed and have to draw like the wind it stops you from overthinking things. Try a 30 min class every couple of days or so! I went from this : [img]https://i.imgur.com/YWdmSEEm.jpg[/img] to this in half a year (also 10 min drawing) [img]https://i.imgur.com/WXdwxes.jpg[/img] I'm certain you can do the same with horses! <3 I dont have many but here's some horses (and other critters) i've drawn using the same site: [img]https://i.imgur.com/7hncF13l.jpg[/img] i'm not an art teacher but I could try to answer any questions if you have em!
To improve your horses you should try https://line-of-action.com/ !

they have an animal section where you can just choose horses.

gesture/life drawing is so so helpful when trying to improve, when you're timed and have to draw like the wind it stops you from overthinking things. Try a 30 min class every couple of days or so! I went from this :
YWdmSEEm.jpg

to this in half a year (also 10 min drawing)
WXdwxes.jpg

I'm certain you can do the same with horses! <3
I dont have many but here's some horses (and other critters) i've drawn using the same site:
7hncF13l.jpg

i'm not an art teacher but I could try to answer any questions if you have em!
While I am an artist and have drawn equine horses before I rarely do however I do have some critiques!

First off lovely art, horses are somewhat more difficult so I think you're great!

I'll keep it short and simple:
Snouts/muzzle appear a bit droopy
Neck could be a bit thicker

And that's about it! Besides that I think your art is at a very good skill level. Just study anatomy and practice everyday!
While I am an artist and have drawn equine horses before I rarely do however I do have some critiques!

First off lovely art, horses are somewhat more difficult so I think you're great!

I'll keep it short and simple:
Snouts/muzzle appear a bit droopy
Neck could be a bit thicker

And that's about it! Besides that I think your art is at a very good skill level. Just study anatomy and practice everyday!
Any pronouns