Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What is the Auction House in your lore?
1 2 3 4 5
It's pretty much a black market I guess.
The dragon section is dragons being sold as slaves or mercenaries selling their services more or less. (Faillon in my lair came from one of those) and they're put up in a row for buyers to look at them.

Buyers are also allowed to inspect their potential purchase so things like background history, their medical condition, any special skills etc. is written down in documents that they can read before purchasing another dragon.
(no one gets to be starved however, nobody wants to buy malnourished dragons that can't fight against whatever thing they're needed for. but they don't get to bathe)

Visually, it's not just one place but there's like one in each elemental region. Several tents in a row/circle/square and they have slightly different goods/prices.

One tent for seafood, one for plants, one for familiars, one for useless trinkets and so on and so on.
I'm sure you get the hang of it x'D
It's pretty much a black market I guess.
The dragon section is dragons being sold as slaves or mercenaries selling their services more or less. (Faillon in my lair came from one of those) and they're put up in a row for buyers to look at them.

Buyers are also allowed to inspect their potential purchase so things like background history, their medical condition, any special skills etc. is written down in documents that they can read before purchasing another dragon.
(no one gets to be starved however, nobody wants to buy malnourished dragons that can't fight against whatever thing they're needed for. but they don't get to bathe)

Visually, it's not just one place but there's like one in each elemental region. Several tents in a row/circle/square and they have slightly different goods/prices.

One tent for seafood, one for plants, one for familiars, one for useless trinkets and so on and so on.
I'm sure you get the hang of it x'D
Always buying
Abyss/Gloom/X
Gen Ones.
Feel free to PM 8.png
wsTw09i.png
*Wishlist
*Art Shop
*Adoptables
*Skins/Accents
3R1xnew.pnglq7TbRo.png
The way I figure it, dragons choose to leave their clan for another (as they "choose" to do all the things in game, even though it's really me, the player, making the choices). In that sense, they are not "sold." However, the treasure exchanged is real.

When a dragon joins a new clan, the clan traditionally grants the new member a share of their hoard. This is quite ritualistic, showing that the clan is serious about accepting its new member. (Even if the new dragon is there on a provisional/temporary basis, e.g. for training, it is still important to do this to be polite, although the sum is typically not large.) A larger sum indicates that the dragon brings with it some special attributes beneficial to the clan (expertise or other status). The larger sum seen as a sign of elevated respect, and also of special thanks that the dragon chose *this* clan despite having so many options to choose from.

Upon receiving this share of treasure, it is traditional for the dragon to gift some or all of it in turn to their clan of origin. The gift is seen as a way for the dragon to settle the "debt" they owe to their former clan, for raising/training/housing them, and for helping them locate a new home. It is also a process of breaking ties with the old clan-- common belief is that a dragon whose debts are not paid cannot truly bond with its new clan.

(What we call "gift dragons" are a special case, wherein the old clan returns the dragon's gift, not to the individual dragon, but to the new clan as a whole, in a show of good will and/or charity. In this case, it is believed that the dragon bears no individual debt to the clan of origin, as the return of the gift is a diplomatic gesture between the clans.)

The treasure yielded by exalted dragons is the same, except that it comes from the hoards of the deities themselves.

As for the AH, that's a sort of advertising/matching network, composed of communications throughout the realm-- scrolls of dragon info, gatherings of traveling dragons, festivals and words of recommendation from friends-of-friends-of-friends. Dragons seeking a new clan make themselves known through this network, along with their qualifications and attributes. What we, the players, see as "prices" on the AH are the amounts which our clans would feel obligated to give that dragon as a new-member share (and they can't lowball, because they know that snubbing a potential new member will cause that dragon to storm off to find a place somewhere else, and probably to ruin the clan's reputation as well).

Of course, some dragons take a cynical view of this system, thinking of it as buying and selling each other (and they do have a point...). But others consider it a practice of honoring each other, and maintaining a healthy society. The fact that there are a variety of views on the system is simply to be expected.
The way I figure it, dragons choose to leave their clan for another (as they "choose" to do all the things in game, even though it's really me, the player, making the choices). In that sense, they are not "sold." However, the treasure exchanged is real.

When a dragon joins a new clan, the clan traditionally grants the new member a share of their hoard. This is quite ritualistic, showing that the clan is serious about accepting its new member. (Even if the new dragon is there on a provisional/temporary basis, e.g. for training, it is still important to do this to be polite, although the sum is typically not large.) A larger sum indicates that the dragon brings with it some special attributes beneficial to the clan (expertise or other status). The larger sum seen as a sign of elevated respect, and also of special thanks that the dragon chose *this* clan despite having so many options to choose from.

Upon receiving this share of treasure, it is traditional for the dragon to gift some or all of it in turn to their clan of origin. The gift is seen as a way for the dragon to settle the "debt" they owe to their former clan, for raising/training/housing them, and for helping them locate a new home. It is also a process of breaking ties with the old clan-- common belief is that a dragon whose debts are not paid cannot truly bond with its new clan.

(What we call "gift dragons" are a special case, wherein the old clan returns the dragon's gift, not to the individual dragon, but to the new clan as a whole, in a show of good will and/or charity. In this case, it is believed that the dragon bears no individual debt to the clan of origin, as the return of the gift is a diplomatic gesture between the clans.)

The treasure yielded by exalted dragons is the same, except that it comes from the hoards of the deities themselves.

As for the AH, that's a sort of advertising/matching network, composed of communications throughout the realm-- scrolls of dragon info, gatherings of traveling dragons, festivals and words of recommendation from friends-of-friends-of-friends. Dragons seeking a new clan make themselves known through this network, along with their qualifications and attributes. What we, the players, see as "prices" on the AH are the amounts which our clans would feel obligated to give that dragon as a new-member share (and they can't lowball, because they know that snubbing a potential new member will cause that dragon to storm off to find a place somewhere else, and probably to ruin the clan's reputation as well).

Of course, some dragons take a cynical view of this system, thinking of it as buying and selling each other (and they do have a point...). But others consider it a practice of honoring each other, and maintaining a healthy society. The fact that there are a variety of views on the system is simply to be expected.
_back_day.png
most of the ah, i imagine as various merchant organisations throughout sornieth, all trying to sell their wares. it's not a single place, but all of the different trading that goes on between dragons and clans.

the exception is the dragons section. largely, i ignore this, but i imagine that there is a black market where dragons are bought and sold, for whatever purpose, that tries to fly under the radar.
most of the ah, i imagine as various merchant organisations throughout sornieth, all trying to sell their wares. it's not a single place, but all of the different trading that goes on between dragons and clans.

the exception is the dragons section. largely, i ignore this, but i imagine that there is a black market where dragons are bought and sold, for whatever purpose, that tries to fly under the radar.
kit
they/them
noted corvid hoarder
A place where dragons commerce, selling things and trading things (combined w/ crossroads and marketplace). It's also a place where dragons who have been cast out of their old lair can find new homes, and where hatchlings begin new journeys. I imagine it looking like a gigantic street fair for some reason.
A place where dragons commerce, selling things and trading things (combined w/ crossroads and marketplace). It's also a place where dragons who have been cast out of their old lair can find new homes, and where hatchlings begin new journeys. I imagine it looking like a gigantic street fair for some reason.
art shop|he/it/they
QhNru0g.png
*whispers, "long live the black market"*
*whispers, "long live the black market"*
XtPnxm4.png achievement.png FObX7rS.png
we-will-buy-all-your-salt.png
I always figure that big markets would pop up for things like merchant and supply caravans to converge at. Cities made of tents and stalls where dragons would come to sell their craft or resupply for a journey.

I usually pretend that the dragons tab doesn't exist, but there is probably a black market (especially in like, Plague and shadow) and gangs of dragon-traders to watch out for. Which would help explain the prevalence of eggs and rare familiars as well.

That or arranged marriage, craftsmen and workers looking for opportunity, or a clan taking a bribe to look the other way while a criminal "escapes" to a new lair.

The last one being the basis for my lore at time of writing.
I always figure that big markets would pop up for things like merchant and supply caravans to converge at. Cities made of tents and stalls where dragons would come to sell their craft or resupply for a journey.

I usually pretend that the dragons tab doesn't exist, but there is probably a black market (especially in like, Plague and shadow) and gangs of dragon-traders to watch out for. Which would help explain the prevalence of eggs and rare familiars as well.

That or arranged marriage, craftsmen and workers looking for opportunity, or a clan taking a bribe to look the other way while a criminal "escapes" to a new lair.

The last one being the basis for my lore at time of writing.
RP Clan!
She/Her
+ 1 FR Time
Please ping me for attention!
Clan Haven welcomes you.
I see the AH very much like a market of sorts. Buying and selling goods as they're needed/demanded. There would be markets dotted all over, some bigger than others. Some more specialized than others. Etc, etc.

As for the dragon section... how to explain? I don't see it as literally selling dragons like slavery. More like, "Hey, my skills are valuable. Pay my fee and impress me / show me your serious about giving me a home/job." You could also see the treasure/gems as spending it on getting them set up in the clan with a room and basic amenities.
I see the AH very much like a market of sorts. Buying and selling goods as they're needed/demanded. There would be markets dotted all over, some bigger than others. Some more specialized than others. Etc, etc.

As for the dragon section... how to explain? I don't see it as literally selling dragons like slavery. More like, "Hey, my skills are valuable. Pay my fee and impress me / show me your serious about giving me a home/job." You could also see the treasure/gems as spending it on getting them set up in the clan with a room and basic amenities.
TyYgOYZ.png
For me it's just kind of a huge bulletin board where dragons can look. Then they give one of the courier dragons the money, as well as the delivery costs as well as the costs for the time the sale stays on the board and the delivery dragons then exchange the goods for the monmons.
And the dragon section is kind of like hiring a new employee for your business, less like a slave market and more like some entrepreneurs who want to earn money for their clan by working for another.
For me it's just kind of a huge bulletin board where dragons can look. Then they give one of the courier dragons the money, as well as the delivery costs as well as the costs for the time the sale stays on the board and the delivery dragons then exchange the goods for the monmons.
And the dragon section is kind of like hiring a new employee for your business, less like a slave market and more like some entrepreneurs who want to earn money for their clan by working for another.
60bawEH.png hiya thar, it's me, an absolute trashbag
?jKX9k=party.png
pokefarm
For the draggos, I imagine its more like a huge board of dragons looking for a lair change. Like craigstlist for dragons. The flights that "export" dragons expect a certain amount of treasure for losing a valuable clan member. Alternatively, receiving flights "bid" to house the new dragon in exchange for their info/skills/ectt. So the price next to a dragon is more like when an employer pays for relocation costs.

In our system it goes to another player, but its just as easily what it will cost to build a new room in the lair, transport them to the lair, and set them up with any special tools they need. (Such as if you're buying a piano-playing dragon, you'd need to spend money to buy them a piano of their taste. May be very spendy.) Perhaps elderly dragons need special accommodations as the age. Perhaps their extra cost is reflected in their additional needs. Where as very cheap dragons are really not that fussy and expect to be exalted sooner rather than later.

For everything else, I imagine its like normal markets. There are likely dragons in every lair who just focus on organizing the buying and selling of goods.
For the draggos, I imagine its more like a huge board of dragons looking for a lair change. Like craigstlist for dragons. The flights that "export" dragons expect a certain amount of treasure for losing a valuable clan member. Alternatively, receiving flights "bid" to house the new dragon in exchange for their info/skills/ectt. So the price next to a dragon is more like when an employer pays for relocation costs.

In our system it goes to another player, but its just as easily what it will cost to build a new room in the lair, transport them to the lair, and set them up with any special tools they need. (Such as if you're buying a piano-playing dragon, you'd need to spend money to buy them a piano of their taste. May be very spendy.) Perhaps elderly dragons need special accommodations as the age. Perhaps their extra cost is reflected in their additional needs. Where as very cheap dragons are really not that fussy and expect to be exalted sooner rather than later.

For everything else, I imagine its like normal markets. There are likely dragons in every lair who just focus on organizing the buying and selling of goods.
1 2 3 4 5