Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | learning a second language?
1 2 3 4
which one are you learning? im taking chinese atm, i just started... i can count from 1-10 and say some other various chinese phrases and words. chinese is hard but boy is it interesting!
which one are you learning? im taking chinese atm, i just started... i can count from 1-10 and say some other various chinese phrases and words. chinese is hard but boy is it interesting!
qPUMNWy.png
@Scrivello
I've just started learning Spanish, though technically it'll be my third language now since I'm bilingual. :)

I can understand some Spanish if the person's speaking slowly but I don't know it well enough to be able to understand what someone's saying if they're speaking normally or speak it myself with any confidence. Considering I was born there though (hence why I can understand some already) I think I probably should start learning how to speak it if for no other reason other than it's interesting ^^'

I tried learning Chinese a while ago, but even with the languages I know I sometimes forget stuff and remembering all those voice fluctuations you have to do when you speak was too hard for me ;__; It's really cool that you've managed to learn that much already. :0

(I apologize if that sounded rude of me to mention me being bilingual, I just thought it was something I should mention considering the topic and I wasn't trying to devalue your efforts or anything. I am honestly impressed that you're managing to learn such a hard language, keep up the good work :) )
@Scrivello
I've just started learning Spanish, though technically it'll be my third language now since I'm bilingual. :)

I can understand some Spanish if the person's speaking slowly but I don't know it well enough to be able to understand what someone's saying if they're speaking normally or speak it myself with any confidence. Considering I was born there though (hence why I can understand some already) I think I probably should start learning how to speak it if for no other reason other than it's interesting ^^'

I tried learning Chinese a while ago, but even with the languages I know I sometimes forget stuff and remembering all those voice fluctuations you have to do when you speak was too hard for me ;__; It's really cool that you've managed to learn that much already. :0

(I apologize if that sounded rude of me to mention me being bilingual, I just thought it was something I should mention considering the topic and I wasn't trying to devalue your efforts or anything. I am honestly impressed that you're managing to learn such a hard language, keep up the good work :) )

Not a shared account, a system. We'll be signing off and using plural pronouns sometimes.
(infolink)

they/them (plural) | FR +2
FWdhtBF2.png
I would like to improve my english ;p
And i want to learn Indonesian/Malaysian because i have family in Indonesia and would like to visit and meet them someday.
I would like to improve my english ;p
And i want to learn Indonesian/Malaysian because i have family in Indonesia and would like to visit and meet them someday.
I took French my Freshman Year of high school and Japanese my Junior and Senior year.

Sadly I don't remember much of either.
I took French my Freshman Year of high school and Japanese my Junior and Senior year.

Sadly I don't remember much of either.
Idk, i'm just here for the pretty dragons
ಠ_ಠ
Since the first grade I've been studying English 8'DD Also in the seventh grade (till the third year of high school) I had to study Swedish. I really was never that interested studying it... but I guess it's cool to be able to speak it a little, 'cause now I also can understand Norwegian & Danish a bit - as written.

ALSO... In the seventh grade I used to study Japanese... but can't remember much of it.
Since the first grade I've been studying English 8'DD Also in the seventh grade (till the third year of high school) I had to study Swedish. I really was never that interested studying it... but I guess it's cool to be able to speak it a little, 'cause now I also can understand Norwegian & Danish a bit - as written.

ALSO... In the seventh grade I used to study Japanese... but can't remember much of it.
c1xnUU3.png
JrZGMGx.png4SzSxLW.pngHouhGS9.pngwCOCqt3.pngbYt72YT.pngFObX7rS.png
Polish is my native language and from foreign languages in school I have English and Spanish. I wanted Russian, but there wasn't enough people to make a group. :< (We had to choose second foreign language from Spanish, German and Russian.)
But I can read (not so fast, but still) Russian (so also other Cyrillic-based writings XD; Slavian languages are kinda similar, so once playing one game I kinda understood people writing in Bulgarian :3).

I learned counting in Chinese (1-99)... during demonstration lesson in library year ago. XD My friend wants to study sinology, so she take me to see how this look like. And it was said that Chinese is not so hard language to learn. :3

@Scrivello, when you know 1-10, you can easily count to 99 too. :3
11 = ten (and) one = shi yi, 12 = ten (and) two = shi er etc.; 20 = two tens = er shi, 21 = two tens (and) one = er shi yi, ..., 98 = nine tens (and) eight = jiu shi ba; 99 = nine tens (and) nine = jiu shi jiu.
:3 And they're written also using 1-10 characters (一, 二, 三, 四, 五, 六, 七, 八, 九, 十).
Polish is my native language and from foreign languages in school I have English and Spanish. I wanted Russian, but there wasn't enough people to make a group. :< (We had to choose second foreign language from Spanish, German and Russian.)
But I can read (not so fast, but still) Russian (so also other Cyrillic-based writings XD; Slavian languages are kinda similar, so once playing one game I kinda understood people writing in Bulgarian :3).

I learned counting in Chinese (1-99)... during demonstration lesson in library year ago. XD My friend wants to study sinology, so she take me to see how this look like. And it was said that Chinese is not so hard language to learn. :3

@Scrivello, when you know 1-10, you can easily count to 99 too. :3
11 = ten (and) one = shi yi, 12 = ten (and) two = shi er etc.; 20 = two tens = er shi, 21 = two tens (and) one = er shi yi, ..., 98 = nine tens (and) eight = jiu shi ba; 99 = nine tens (and) nine = jiu shi jiu.
:3 And they're written also using 1-10 characters (一, 二, 三, 四, 五, 六, 七, 八, 九, 十).
coH7AEL.png
@Ev4 wow, thanks! that's really helpful, because i think my next class is about 11-99!
polish seems like a neat language! and being able to read russian is awesome, it looks hard!
@Ev4 wow, thanks! that's really helpful, because i think my next class is about 11-99!
polish seems like a neat language! and being able to read russian is awesome, it looks hard!
qPUMNWy.png
@Scrivello, no problem. :3
Polish has hard grammar. *deletes what she wrote* I can't even describe it myself, so here's a Wikipedia article. XD And also Polish have more sounds than English... and some strange letter clusters in some words *thinks* copy "chrzÄ…szcz brzmi w trzcinie" (it's one of the most popular tongue-twisters) to Google Translate, set to Polish and listen to it*. XD

*(For some reason when I put this in Google Translate, it read (or rather spell) only 'szcz' from first word... Oo" I asked my friend if he has same issue and it seems that it's Google Translate's error. But only 'chrzÄ…szcz' sounds good.)
(Edit: Okay, my friend made me post that as example. XD It's from this film and main character gives such complicated answers on purpose when he get caught by Germans. Name: "Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz", born in: "Chrząszczyrzewoszyce, powiat Łękołody". :3)

Reading Russian is not so hard. You just need to learn new alphabet. :3 Some letters are similar, but some are a bit tricky, like Russian r, n and w.
It's harder to learn where each character is on keyboard. XD Their placement is nothing like on any Latin-alphabet keyboard - first six letters in top row are йцукен (yi, ts, u, k, ie/ye, n) - it's nothing like qwerty/qwertz/azerty. XD
@Scrivello, no problem. :3
Polish has hard grammar. *deletes what she wrote* I can't even describe it myself, so here's a Wikipedia article. XD And also Polish have more sounds than English... and some strange letter clusters in some words *thinks* copy "chrzÄ…szcz brzmi w trzcinie" (it's one of the most popular tongue-twisters) to Google Translate, set to Polish and listen to it*. XD

*(For some reason when I put this in Google Translate, it read (or rather spell) only 'szcz' from first word... Oo" I asked my friend if he has same issue and it seems that it's Google Translate's error. But only 'chrzÄ…szcz' sounds good.)
(Edit: Okay, my friend made me post that as example. XD It's from this film and main character gives such complicated answers on purpose when he get caught by Germans. Name: "Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz", born in: "Chrząszczyrzewoszyce, powiat Łękołody". :3)

Reading Russian is not so hard. You just need to learn new alphabet. :3 Some letters are similar, but some are a bit tricky, like Russian r, n and w.
It's harder to learn where each character is on keyboard. XD Their placement is nothing like on any Latin-alphabet keyboard - first six letters in top row are йцукен (yi, ts, u, k, ie/ye, n) - it's nothing like qwerty/qwertz/azerty. XD
coH7AEL.png
im learning dutch right now! it's a pretty interesting language. that being said, it isint the prettiest to hear outloud but then again, it really depends on the speaker. its actually a vaguely easy language to learn!! (easier than any other one for me)
im learning dutch right now! it's a pretty interesting language. that being said, it isint the prettiest to hear outloud but then again, it really depends on the speaker. its actually a vaguely easy language to learn!! (easier than any other one for me)
crayon
[/b]

arcane
UAEMNQw.png
I've been on and off casually studying Sanskrit for ~5 years. I've played around with learning a bunch of different languages over the years, but I hold a special appreciation of Sanskrit. :-)

I also took four semesters of Chinese and was starting to get fairly confident in my conversational skills, but then I had scheduling conflicts the next semester. I've been meaning to get back into it, but... Maybe after I graduate and get some of this fabled "free time"...
I've been on and off casually studying Sanskrit for ~5 years. I've played around with learning a bunch of different languages over the years, but I hold a special appreciation of Sanskrit. :-)

I also took four semesters of Chinese and was starting to get fairly confident in my conversational skills, but then I had scheduling conflicts the next semester. I've been meaning to get back into it, but... Maybe after I graduate and get some of this fabled "free time"...
1 2 3 4