Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | All Flight Dom: IT IS ON!
1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 55 56
@LadyRowyn, Flight Rising canon is that Exalting is a honor, that's why we named it "Exalt." Dragons are granted leave to serve their respective deities. They are definitely not being killed, not officially.
@LadyRowyn, Flight Rising canon is that Exalting is a honor, that's why we named it "Exalt." Dragons are granted leave to serve their respective deities. They are definitely not being killed, not officially.
[quote name="micahjaguar" date="2014-02-13 13:32:52"]I think @LadyRowyn has a good point, in that I think if there were more rewards for participation and/or placing, more people would be motivated to pitch in. Winner Takes All is exhilarating but draining, and for the larger flights that have less of a chance of winning preparations for Dominance battles can start months in advance.[/quote] @micahjaguar, we are paying attention to this battle and player feedback.
micahjaguar wrote on 2014-02-13 13:32:52:
I think @LadyRowyn has a good point, in that I think if there were more rewards for participation and/or placing, more people would be motivated to pitch in. Winner Takes All is exhilarating but draining, and for the larger flights that have less of a chance of winning preparations for Dominance battles can start months in advance.

@micahjaguar, we are paying attention to this battle and player feedback.
*sighs* Guess this going to turn into another x-not-rewarding-enough whinefest. Take it to the Suggestion forums please?
*sighs* Guess this going to turn into another x-not-rewarding-enough whinefest. Take it to the Suggestion forums please?
@WildWolfram
There's a big difference between whining about something and pointing out why it isn't working like it's supposed to.

Also, if talking about it here was an issue... wouldn't @Aequorin deal with it?
@WildWolfram
There's a big difference between whining about something and pointing out why it isn't working like it's supposed to.

Also, if talking about it here was an issue... wouldn't @Aequorin deal with it?
What's great about this push isn't just the sheer number of dragons being Exalted since Sunday but the dialogue that has started. We are reading all of the constructive feedback received so far during this push.
What's great about this push isn't just the sheer number of dragons being Exalted since Sunday but the dialogue that has started. We are reading all of the constructive feedback received so far during this push.
It used to be Exile though.

I personally take it as a euphemism for death :v

I personally take it as a euphemism for death :v
Selling old UMAs/giveaway
Giving away everything
G2 imperial giveaway
progress-rainbow-rainbow-garter-blm.png
[quote name="Rhea" date="2014-02-13 13:48:21"][color=green]It used to be Exile though. [/quote] Yes, it was and then it was decided that the mechanic should be something positive. "Exiling" was a delete feature. It did not reward treasure and there was no Dominance at that time. The change to "Exalting" brought with it rewards and Dominance. Officially, Exalting a dragon is an honor, a privilege granted to that dragon which in turn benefits both the Clan and the Flight.
Rhea wrote on 2014-02-13 13:48:21:

Yes, it was and then it was decided that the mechanic should be something positive.

"Exiling" was a delete feature. It did not reward treasure and there was no Dominance at that time. The change to "Exalting" brought with it rewards and Dominance.

Officially, Exalting a dragon is an honor, a privilege granted to that dragon which in turn benefits both the Clan and the Flight.
I mean Stormcatcher Industries Ltd. treats its interns quite well. They get food breaks and EVERYTHING. Of course, they get to test new experiment food products then, because EFFICIENCY, but really. He's quite generous - during intern orientation they even get to fire off the lightning death ray. That is, if we had a death ray, which we definitely don't, the interns would totally get to fire it as part of the "welcome-to-the-Spire" celebration at the end of orientation.
I mean Stormcatcher Industries Ltd. treats its interns quite well. They get food breaks and EVERYTHING. Of course, they get to test new experiment food products then, because EFFICIENCY, but really. He's quite generous - during intern orientation they even get to fire off the lightning death ray. That is, if we had a death ray, which we definitely don't, the interns would totally get to fire it as part of the "welcome-to-the-Spire" celebration at the end of orientation.
signatureletsmakesomesc.png
(Sig by StarrySpelunker)
You might get more people thinking of exalting as a positive thing if the exalted dragon page didn't look like a funeral monument. lol

(I don't have any trouble myself, just sent off a couple of my long-term guys a few minutes ago)
You might get more people thinking of exalting as a positive thing if the exalted dragon page didn't look like a funeral monument. lol

(I don't have any trouble myself, just sent off a couple of my long-term guys a few minutes ago)
frsig_2_zps70273bcd.jpg
@Aequorin

I know it is officially an honor.

But Western culture equates "going to join the gods" with "dying". While the canon is explicit about it being an honor, it's easy to read it like human sacrifice: "we're honoring you by killing you so your spirit can be with the gods". The exalted page looks like a memorial. The dragon 'can never return to the lair'.

Every single person I talk to about it says their first interpretation is "dragon is dead". When I'm talking about exalting with other people, "dragon slaughter" is far and away the most common metaphor.

If canon would do something to explicitly say the dragons are NOT DEAD -- talk about the dragons being able to visit but never live in their old lairs, for example -- I would personally find it very helpful. As it is, it's open to interpretation and while I take the positive interpretation for my headcanon, most people I know do not. And for some, it's a big deterrent against participating in dominance contests.We are very sentimental about our pixel dragons -- that's kind of the point of the game -- and we don't like to think about them dying.

I know you can't change this, but since you're the one listening, I am blathering on about it. Sorry. :/
@Aequorin

I know it is officially an honor.

But Western culture equates "going to join the gods" with "dying". While the canon is explicit about it being an honor, it's easy to read it like human sacrifice: "we're honoring you by killing you so your spirit can be with the gods". The exalted page looks like a memorial. The dragon 'can never return to the lair'.

Every single person I talk to about it says their first interpretation is "dragon is dead". When I'm talking about exalting with other people, "dragon slaughter" is far and away the most common metaphor.

If canon would do something to explicitly say the dragons are NOT DEAD -- talk about the dragons being able to visit but never live in their old lairs, for example -- I would personally find it very helpful. As it is, it's open to interpretation and while I take the positive interpretation for my headcanon, most people I know do not. And for some, it's a big deterrent against participating in dominance contests.We are very sentimental about our pixel dragons -- that's kind of the point of the game -- and we don't like to think about them dying.

I know you can't change this, but since you're the one listening, I am blathering on about it. Sorry. :/
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 55 56