Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Nest Renting?
1 2
As someone who likes to look at aesthetics when breeding dragons, it has bugged me that I can't get any eye color except the one dictated by my nest and changing flights is difficult. Because of this, I thought I'd share an idea to help people with a problem similar to mine.

What if a system were to be implemented similar to how dog breeders sometimes do their business? An account user could set aside a nest and even offer studs or dams and the payer would breed their dragon (either with a stud of dam or just using the nest) and then get any hatchlings from it, since that is what they are paying for. This way, people can selectively breed for traits without having to buy dragon after dragon or being limited by their flight.

Lore-wise, it could be framed as dragons trying to combat fertility issues and inbreeding by bringing new blood into their Clan. I don't know. I just thought I'd share the idea.
As someone who likes to look at aesthetics when breeding dragons, it has bugged me that I can't get any eye color except the one dictated by my nest and changing flights is difficult. Because of this, I thought I'd share an idea to help people with a problem similar to mine.

What if a system were to be implemented similar to how dog breeders sometimes do their business? An account user could set aside a nest and even offer studs or dams and the payer would breed their dragon (either with a stud of dam or just using the nest) and then get any hatchlings from it, since that is what they are paying for. This way, people can selectively breed for traits without having to buy dragon after dragon or being limited by their flight.

Lore-wise, it could be framed as dragons trying to combat fertility issues and inbreeding by bringing new blood into their Clan. I don't know. I just thought I'd share the idea.
I like this idea a lot! We could have one nest dedicated just for it. Cold be another thing to pay treasure for?
I like this idea a lot! We could have one nest dedicated just for it. Cold be another thing to pay treasure for?
Yup. The person renting out the nest could ask for treasure or gems. I think it would be a nice addition to the economic system. It does favor players with more nests but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Yup. The person renting out the nest could ask for treasure or gems. I think it would be a nice addition to the economic system. It does favor players with more nests but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
This would actually make a lot of sense and definitely bring an option for more clan diversity in regards to patterns and colors - and would also have more options than dragons that are put up for auction in regards to trying to get genes integrated
This would actually make a lot of sense and definitely bring an option for more clan diversity in regards to patterns and colors - and would also have more options than dragons that are put up for auction in regards to trying to get genes integrated
@DarkFaeRin I'm not sure how this is different than the system already existing. Plenty of people do rent their nests out in the items for sale forum, I think. Can you elaborate?

Are you saying one nest would ONLY be able to be used for rentals and the user couldn't use their own nest space?

@DarkFaeRin I'm not sure how this is different than the system already existing. Plenty of people do rent their nests out in the items for sale forum, I think. Can you elaborate?

Are you saying one nest would ONLY be able to be used for rentals and the user couldn't use their own nest space?

@Mignonne I'm saying it would be nice to make official areas for it like in the auction or crossroads areas. That way, should a deal go sour, no one loses their dragons or their treasure. If there is already an official way to prevent such things, then I was unaware.
@Mignonne I'm saying it would be nice to make official areas for it like in the auction or crossroads areas. That way, should a deal go sour, no one loses their dragons or their treasure. If there is already an official way to prevent such things, then I was unaware.
@DarkFaeRin ah, okay!

I think you might want to specify that a little more clearly in your original post. I wasn't totally sure what you were suggesting on reading it, since I'm not familiar with dog or animal breeding techniques.

I think it'd be hard to implement, because how do you factor lair space for hatchling? Currently it's tied to the nest renter's lair space. Sometimes people split clutches, so how do nests get divided in that case?

In theory though, some mechanism for renting a nest for treasure/gems on the AH and somehow being able to choose the dragon that will sit on it. but remains tied to your account would be neat At least the parent dragon could be protected that way.
@DarkFaeRin ah, okay!

I think you might want to specify that a little more clearly in your original post. I wasn't totally sure what you were suggesting on reading it, since I'm not familiar with dog or animal breeding techniques.

I think it'd be hard to implement, because how do you factor lair space for hatchling? Currently it's tied to the nest renter's lair space. Sometimes people split clutches, so how do nests get divided in that case?

In theory though, some mechanism for renting a nest for treasure/gems on the AH and somehow being able to choose the dragon that will sit on it. but remains tied to your account would be neat At least the parent dragon could be protected that way.
@Mignonne

You make a lot of good points. Like I mentioned, I'm not entirely familiar with how things are done. I'm rather new to this. I just thought that if such a thing were implemented, it would allow for much safer ways to breed the dragons you want.

As for how to factor in space, I figured that if it was done in an official capacity where one of the breeding dragons was tied to the account, the eggs would also be tied to the payers account. Of course, this doesn't really take into account the idea of splitting a clutch. I'm not sure how that would go.
@Mignonne

You make a lot of good points. Like I mentioned, I'm not entirely familiar with how things are done. I'm rather new to this. I just thought that if such a thing were implemented, it would allow for much safer ways to breed the dragons you want.

As for how to factor in space, I figured that if it was done in an official capacity where one of the breeding dragons was tied to the account, the eggs would also be tied to the payers account. Of course, this doesn't really take into account the idea of splitting a clutch. I'm not sure how that would go.
@DarkFaeRin yeah, I think codiing wise this might be hard to implement, as they'd have to rewrite allt he nest code to somehow allow for a parent that's not present in the lair to sit on a nest.

A possibility would be for a system nest rental. Like you have to pay X amount or treasure gems, but you could select a nest of a particular element from your own lair. It if happened though, it would basically kill nest rentals from other players, so I'm not sure if that would get enough support. Also not sure how that would work lore wise, and that's an important element to many people on this site.

Basically, this is hard and I'm not sure there's any good way to code for it, but I would support some manner of being able to secure a dragon sent to a nest.
@DarkFaeRin yeah, I think codiing wise this might be hard to implement, as they'd have to rewrite allt he nest code to somehow allow for a parent that's not present in the lair to sit on a nest.

A possibility would be for a system nest rental. Like you have to pay X amount or treasure gems, but you could select a nest of a particular element from your own lair. It if happened though, it would basically kill nest rentals from other players, so I'm not sure if that would get enough support. Also not sure how that would work lore wise, and that's an important element to many people on this site.

Basically, this is hard and I'm not sure there's any good way to code for it, but I would support some manner of being able to secure a dragon sent to a nest.
We do have a pretty good user-run nest rental/stud system in place through the forums. However an official system could help out with the (usually rare) cases of people not getting their dragons back. I know I've seen a couple threads floating around the Suggestions forum about this before... I just searched "nest rental stud" in the suggestions forum and a whole bunch of related comments appeared if you'd like to browse through. Here's a couple that stood out to me. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/1216055/1#post_1216055]This whole thread in general: "Stud Breeding?"[/url] [quote name="gemajgall" date=2014-10-26 14:11:39] I always support a 2p breeding system. After several threads and discussions, the best mechanics I can think of would work like this: both players would need a ready to breed, unrelated dragon of the opposite gender. Both pay a small fee to have the dragons meet in a neutral area with a neutral nest. There's always an even number of eggs (2, 4 or 6) split evenly between both users. Each users' eggs go into their own rented neutral nest where they (and their aforementioned dragons) are responsible for incubating the eggs. As a result of being in a neutral area, the hatchlings have a 50/50 chance of having the eye color of either parent. [/quote] [quote name="DragonSage" date=2016-10-15 03:29:15] There are some coding issues to consider with a two player breeding system--namely both dragons tend the nest and hatchlings aren't rolled until the nest is hatched, nests must be manually incubated and must be manually hatched so its quite possible to keep a pair in limbo--inable to be rebred, exalted, breed changed, regened, sold, etc so if there aren't things put into place to prevent issues, a player could end up with a dragon they cannot breed, exalt, regene or change breed because the other player disappeared. If a two player breeding option is added I'd like to see these restrictions Both sexes can be put up as available for breeding. The player who sends the breeding request gets the nest in their lair and is the one who gets the eggs. They are also the only player who can incubate or hatch the nest. Both dragons go on the breeding cooldown ((lore wise, the studded dragon is still helping tend the nest, game wise its to keep the current requirement consistent)) If the nest isn't hatched in X days ((probably 15 days max as that corresponds with the length of a plentiful's cooldown)) then the clutch is discarded to prevent dragons from being stuck in limbo [/quote]
We do have a pretty good user-run nest rental/stud system in place through the forums.

However an official system could help out with the (usually rare) cases of people not getting their dragons back. I know I've seen a couple threads floating around the Suggestions forum about this before... I just searched "nest rental stud" in the suggestions forum and a whole bunch of related comments appeared if you'd like to browse through. Here's a couple that stood out to me.

This whole thread in general: "Stud Breeding?"
gemajgall wrote on 2014-10-26:
I always support a 2p breeding system. After several threads and discussions, the best mechanics I can think of would work like this: both players would need a ready to breed, unrelated dragon of the opposite gender. Both pay a small fee to have the dragons meet in a neutral area with a neutral nest. There's always an even number of eggs (2, 4 or 6) split evenly between both users. Each users' eggs go into their own rented neutral nest where they (and their aforementioned dragons) are responsible for incubating the eggs. As a result of being in a neutral area, the hatchlings have a 50/50 chance of having the eye color of either parent.
DragonSage wrote on 2016-10-15:
There are some coding issues to consider with a two player breeding system--namely both dragons tend the nest and hatchlings aren't rolled until the nest is hatched, nests must be manually incubated and must be manually hatched so its quite possible to keep a pair in limbo--inable to be rebred, exalted, breed changed, regened, sold, etc so if there aren't things put into place to prevent issues, a player could end up with a dragon they cannot breed, exalt, regene or change breed because the other player disappeared.

If a two player breeding option is added I'd like to see these restrictions

Both sexes can be put up as available for breeding.
The player who sends the breeding request gets the nest in their lair and is the one who gets the eggs. They are also the only player who can incubate or hatch the nest.
Both dragons go on the breeding cooldown ((lore wise, the studded dragon is still helping tend the nest, game wise its to keep the current requirement consistent))
If the nest isn't hatched in X days ((probably 15 days max as that corresponds with the length of a plentiful's cooldown)) then the clutch is discarded to prevent dragons from being stuck in limbo
H0YTYF1.png CAgQpkV.png 7p4ZvEX.png TX13MWN.png
1 2