Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Pop punk Vs. Punk
1 2
@Ceravine It varies. Bad Religion is closer to rock/hard rock. The Offspring and others of that period mostly keep to rock. On the other hand, you have acts like Bad Brains which ended up the precursors to Hardcore (which has plenty of yelling). Then you have Ska Punk which is... usually Punk Rock in Hoenn basically.
@Ceravine It varies. Bad Religion is closer to rock/hard rock. The Offspring and others of that period mostly keep to rock. On the other hand, you have acts like Bad Brains which ended up the precursors to Hardcore (which has plenty of yelling). Then you have Ska Punk which is... usually Punk Rock in Hoenn basically.
My writing project.
@Chronosplit yeah I have never heard of any of those bands XD
@Chronosplit yeah I have never heard of any of those bands XD
UZVTEBc.png
"real" punk is an attitude, not a music genre. a pop, metal, or country band could very well be more "real" punk than a good deal of bands under the punk genre.
that being said, pop punk music is (personally) more enjoyable to listen to.
"real" punk is an attitude, not a music genre. a pop, metal, or country band could very well be more "real" punk than a good deal of bands under the punk genre.
that being said, pop punk music is (personally) more enjoyable to listen to.
98bf1699ec3a8a9904ee0a7db6e28469c9948a3c.gif
From what I've heard I don't think punk and pop punk sound that much like each other...? I dunno but from the stuff I listened to (Black Flag, Slaves, Fugazi, etc) I prefer punk over pop punk, but The Offspring do have some cool songs
From what I've heard I don't think punk and pop punk sound that much like each other...? I dunno but from the stuff I listened to (Black Flag, Slaves, Fugazi, etc) I prefer punk over pop punk, but The Offspring do have some cool songs
cbaa17a5a06daa6a78029fcf8763b4844dd0e1a6.png .
...he/him | FR+8
@Fire lairs - please let me know
if you hatch a mint/ruby/hunter
dragon! I have a mighty need.
....OjYCOIV.png
I see pop-punk as pop, with punk elements. I definitely wouldn't say it's punk. The scene/culture of both genres are quite different.

edit: It also depends on the band. I would say early Green Day & Blink-182 are pop-punk that could be classified as punk, I think. Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco are often classified as pop-punk, but they most certainly aren't punk. That's just my opinion, though.
I see pop-punk as pop, with punk elements. I definitely wouldn't say it's punk. The scene/culture of both genres are quite different.

edit: It also depends on the band. I would say early Green Day & Blink-182 are pop-punk that could be classified as punk, I think. Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco are often classified as pop-punk, but they most certainly aren't punk. That's just my opinion, though.
19 // infp // ravenclaw // scorpio

I'm only on here when I'm procrastinating homework ahahahhahahafdshfjkdfg
I would definitely say that pop punk is distinct from punk in a lot of ways and has become very much its own thing, with a different agenda and a different target audience than punk originally had.

To say it's "just pop," though, is a gross oversimplification imo. The idea that punk has to be unpopular or niche in order to be countercultural or stick to its values just feels like elitist gatekeeping to me, which is the opposite of what punk is about. The fact that that elitism revolves around nonconformist street cred and rejects wealth doesn't make it any less ridiculous or exclusionary.
I would definitely say that pop punk is distinct from punk in a lot of ways and has become very much its own thing, with a different agenda and a different target audience than punk originally had.

To say it's "just pop," though, is a gross oversimplification imo. The idea that punk has to be unpopular or niche in order to be countercultural or stick to its values just feels like elitist gatekeeping to me, which is the opposite of what punk is about. The fact that that elitism revolves around nonconformist street cred and rejects wealth doesn't make it any less ridiculous or exclusionary.
1 2