Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Oh no...
Stephen Hawking apparently thinks humanity only has 100 years left on Earth before we have to get off the planet in order to survive.

For comparison, the estimate used to be 1,000 years. And 100 years is well within my lifetime.

I mean, yes, Hawking is just one guy and lots of people's predictions don't turn out to be true, but still, it's alarming. I mean, heck, 100 years is a pretty short time if you think about it. I'm honestly horrified because I love our planet and try and do little things to help the Earth when I can, like being conscious about closing the fridge and turning off the lights and picking up litter.

Any words of comfort? This is really horrible to imagine.
Stephen Hawking apparently thinks humanity only has 100 years left on Earth before we have to get off the planet in order to survive.

For comparison, the estimate used to be 1,000 years. And 100 years is well within my lifetime.

I mean, yes, Hawking is just one guy and lots of people's predictions don't turn out to be true, but still, it's alarming. I mean, heck, 100 years is a pretty short time if you think about it. I'm honestly horrified because I love our planet and try and do little things to help the Earth when I can, like being conscious about closing the fridge and turning off the lights and picking up litter.

Any words of comfort? This is really horrible to imagine.
qvTNuJR.pnglogo16_zps302d6ac7.png Utter Phasma Trash
it's hard to guess at this sort of thing, with all the factors involved. For example, we're very likely to have nuclear fusion energy within 20 years. Biotecnologies are also making great strides, Vat-grown meat will be a thing. And in any case, "getting off the planet" as in learning to mine the resources of the rest of the solar system isn't a bad thing.
it's hard to guess at this sort of thing, with all the factors involved. For example, we're very likely to have nuclear fusion energy within 20 years. Biotecnologies are also making great strides, Vat-grown meat will be a thing. And in any case, "getting off the planet" as in learning to mine the resources of the rest of the solar system isn't a bad thing.
Too many factors for someone to make a prediction like that. Factors known and unknown. Nothing's ever written in stone as that goes and honestly? There's a lot of new technology coming out that can help repair things or even result in unlimited energy.

Did you know that there's plans underway for a nuclear plant that not only reuses the waste but would be designed to be as environmentally friendly as possible? Doing things like shutting down in the event of loss of power. We're got people trying to get to Mars too and many other things. It's not all bad and there are people really trying to make things better.

I believe the nuclear thing is salt based or something involving that. I don't like worrying about what could happen; I'm more concerned with trying to fix things because worrying about the end only will make it a self fulling prophecy.
Too many factors for someone to make a prediction like that. Factors known and unknown. Nothing's ever written in stone as that goes and honestly? There's a lot of new technology coming out that can help repair things or even result in unlimited energy.

Did you know that there's plans underway for a nuclear plant that not only reuses the waste but would be designed to be as environmentally friendly as possible? Doing things like shutting down in the event of loss of power. We're got people trying to get to Mars too and many other things. It's not all bad and there are people really trying to make things better.

I believe the nuclear thing is salt based or something involving that. I don't like worrying about what could happen; I'm more concerned with trying to fix things because worrying about the end only will make it a self fulling prophecy.
Coelum Ad Proelium Elige
I own the most wonderful Shiba Inus named Jiro and Lou!
tumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.png
What do Shiba Inus~ like to dream about? Is it dancing Hainus?
Wait where did you hear this? I'd love to read what Hawking had to say about what went into that prediction. Like @ashotinthedark said, there's just too many factors to predict something like this for certain.
Wait where did you hear this? I'd love to read what Hawking had to say about what went into that prediction. Like @ashotinthedark said, there's just too many factors to predict something like this for certain.
Live long and prosper.
tumblr_inline_o4fycspG5K1snz70d_540.png tumblr_inline_oleeoabs5M1qc644x_500.gif tumblr_inline_o4fycspG5K1snz70d_540.png
To be fair, we are running out of phosphorous. Given that our agricultural system is structured around mined phosphorous, and that similar "unknown" crises exist in a lot of production environments (ex: we're also running out of helium), there are certainly a few problems to solve.

Still, seems kind of hard to put so near a number on it. Like everyone else is saying, there are an awful lot of factors in play.
To be fair, we are running out of phosphorous. Given that our agricultural system is structured around mined phosphorous, and that similar "unknown" crises exist in a lot of production environments (ex: we're also running out of helium), there are certainly a few problems to solve.

Still, seems kind of hard to put so near a number on it. Like everyone else is saying, there are an awful lot of factors in play.
cL9yafY.gif
also, Hawking is kinda obsolete outside of pop culture science
he's been wrong about a lot of things i really don't think you should take this seriously
also, Hawking is kinda obsolete outside of pop culture science
he's been wrong about a lot of things i really don't think you should take this seriously
Why waste time on space?? We should just move into the ocean so I can walk my pet shark through the streets of an underwater city. Or maybe around the outskirts of that city because it might be a bubble.
Why waste time on space?? We should just move into the ocean so I can walk my pet shark through the streets of an underwater city. Or maybe around the outskirts of that city because it might be a bubble.
image.png
Does this mean we're going to space? I want to go to space, even though he's probably more wrong than right. Let's leave this place. [img]https://onsideseven.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/kamen686.jpg[/img]
Does this mean we're going to space? I want to go to space, even though he's probably more wrong than right. Let's leave this place.

kamen686.jpg
My writing project.
as others have said. There's too many factors involved to be truly accurate. Besides I'm pretty sure he meant within the next 100 years we "need" get another planet colonized.(I put air quotes on the word need since it's hard to say the state of the planet will like even in five years.) Not we only have 100 years left on earth or we'll all die.
as others have said. There's too many factors involved to be truly accurate. Besides I'm pretty sure he meant within the next 100 years we "need" get another planet colonized.(I put air quotes on the word need since it's hard to say the state of the planet will like even in five years.) Not we only have 100 years left on earth or we'll all die.